Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Honda CR-V

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,602
    It sounds like you've already made up your mind on a 2WD.

Nothing "wrong" with them and if you feel you have no need for 4WD than go for it. Don't be surprised if you have a bit of trouble finding one since the local stores don't order very many.

We are on our 3rd one and they have been wonderful. Never a repair!
    I'm not sure where the "Civic Wagon" feelings come from but I've heard that before and it isn't so. The last Civic Wagon was sold in 1991 for one thing.

As far as having 4WD, ours never get offroad but there have been a few times when it really made the difference. With a set of Blizzzaks (ours dont have these) the 4WD CRV's will go almost anywhere!

Like the saying go's...

" It is better to have 4WD and not need it than to need it and not have it"
  • oldbearcatoldbearcat Posts: 165
    edited April 2012
    drjjj: I've got a 2010 CRV LX 2WD, and, drive it for business. I've put 60K miles on it, mostly business trips running interstates at 70. I remain dissapointed with her fuel economy, which typically stays in the 24 - 27 Mpg range on my business travels. My last business driver, a Saturn Aura with the 229 HP 3.5 Liter V6 easilly got 30 MPG on my trips. The 4 Chrysler midsizers I owned before the Saturn, all with V6 power, did that well also. I was willing to put up with the CRV's modest performance - expecting it to deliver excellent fuel economy - but mine doesn't.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat
  • I just got my 2012 CRV LX AWD. I got 34 mpg for couple of days commute drive (18 mile one way with mostly highway at average 70) from the trip computer. This is better than my 2002 Camry.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,170
    the CRV is for all intents and purposes the wagon model in the civic lineup. they just "macho" it up and pretend it is a truck.

and I don't really agree about AWD, sinc eyou pay for it up front, and every mile you drive. might as well get a bigger car (might need the room some day!) and of course a V8, because it is better to have 200 extra HP on the off chance you might need ti, right?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

Sorry, but the CRV has NOTHING to do with the Civic at all.

as far as the 4WD, 99.9% of the time I have no use for it but we do get snow here once in awhile and it does a great job. As a hiker I took it to a trailhead a couple of years ago and foolishly got into some deep mud while making a u-turn. I was able to get out of that mess.

So, buy a 2WD and be happy!

As far as 200 HP, I can't recall one time in my driving career when I've needed a bunch of extra power for any reason.

A CRV is what it is and certainly won't please everyone. We have two of them sitting in our garage and couln't he happier with them!
  • ss1003ss1003 Posts: 1
    Just about to finalize my deal for my 2012 CRV - so excited!!! My current car is a 2000 Civic - 195K miles and I loved the car, but now it's getting a lot of wear and tear (plus, it's getting small for my ever increasing family).

Question to the forum - did any of you get the extended warranties for powertrain, bumper to bumper, appearance (otherwise known as teflon warranty) or Roadside Assistance? I'm thinking I'll pass on all of these, but I'm curious to know other people's opinion. Thank you.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 155
    My wife just bought a 2012 CRV EX-L RES. Living in Tennessee we don't have much need for 4WD.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,251
    edited April 2012
    Pass on the warranties -- put the money in the bank as a repair fund. You probably will never use it.
  • sparklandsparkland Posts: 108
    I will purchase the extended Honda warranty online for about 60% cheaper than the dealer will charge. 8 yrs, 100,000 miles for $950.
  • Would you please elaborate on the extended warranty you purchase online? Is it authentic Honda warranty? Where do you buy from? Just bought the same 8 yr /100k mile warranty from the dealer for $1,690! I was promised to be able to cancel it within 30 days of issuance, and am thinking of cancelling.
  • ksayersksayers Posts: 59
    Go online, look up Honda extended warranties. I bought one for my wifes Pilot for 1/2 the price of the dealer, same warranty, same insurer.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,671
    We have a discussion for that:

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Check it out!

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Is there Daytime Running Lights in LX AW? I see dimmer headlights on all the time. Is there any control of it?

Thanks,
    Yes, one more thing forced on us by our well meaning government.

The Canadians had it first so they must be a good thing, right?
  • dtstofdtstof Posts: 61
    Yeah, crazy things like seatbelts, and get this, mine has air bags...
    Those aren't crazy things.

If my headlights are needed, it's an easy thing to turn them on myself as I do on most dreary days.
  • Thanks. I am OK with it. Just wondering if I got Canada only model.
    I forget what year DRL's became standard on all Hondas. I think it was around 2006.
  • As the person who started this thread, I have reviewed all suggestions and remain extremely disappointed with the gas mileage. I get 17 miles in city driving, 19.3 combined. I probably drive somewhat more city than highway but am not at all heavy on the pedal. The only time I got the advertised mileage on the highway was when I did a test on a flat empty highway for 25 miles on cruise control. Honda advertised 22 city, 25 combined and 30 highway. Does anybody get this mileage in city as well as highway? I bought mine end of December and currently have about 3400 miles. Thanks.