Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Clock-spring 99 Chevy Blazer, where to get one

dp2226dp2226 Member Posts: 28
My airbag light, went from perodically turning on and off to just staying on. Have it narrowed down to the clock-spring.

Problem I am having is finding the part new or used. I can find one for 98 but not a 1999.

Also when doing research on the repair, a couple sites listed clock-spring as the nickname but not the formal name.

Anyone who can help me find how to obtain the part would appreciate it. Clock-spring 99 Chevy Blazer

Comments

• dp2226dp2226 Member Posts: 28
    This is definitely a dealer only part. Not as cheap if this was a 98, but still reasonable. My local dealer was $170.

I put out a blanket request to multiple used auto part dealers and 4 responded they had the part in a form letter email. Was not true, I called each and they did not have it. For $170 to have a new one, hopefully do the repair once, plus the safety factor, happy to get it new
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Check with the dealer to see if this is involved in a saftey recall. Chrysler had the same issue on the minivans, and my dad's was covered 10 years after the vehicle was built! In fact, the bulletin stated that the repair was warranteed for life, because if the clock spring failed, you lost the cruise, the horn, and the airbag.

2000 Chrysler Town and Country. Wouldn't hurt to ask!
  • chevyman0073chevyman0073 Member Posts: 2
    I had a problem with my radiator cracking after 235,000 miles. I replaced it along with a new "Thermostat", "Fan Clutch", "Coolant Control Sensor" and wiring harness plug. I flushed the system and replaced the Heater Core. But for some #$^&%&*(*& reason My Blazer still won't run at operating Temp. I have to put a piece of "Card Board in between the two radiators to get it to run even close, just under 17 degrees from operating temp. The only thing I haven't replaced recently is the Water Pump, but it seems fine. Does anyone know what I should do next?!!! Please I have taken care of the Blazer forever. I don't want to ruin the engine!! Thanks
  • duntovduntov Member Posts: 133
    Did you install a 195 degree thermostat or a 160 degree thermostat? The opening temperature rating of the thermostat indicates the minimum operating temperature of the engine. For example, your engine can have a 160 degree thermostat and the engine can still run at 178 degrees, which is 17 degrees below normal operating temperature of 195 degrees. GM changed the routing of the heater hoses starting with the 1997 S10/ Blazer/trucks. The heater core outlet hose was returned to the top of the water pump rather than into the radiator tank. The 1991-1996 water pumps do not have heater hose connections and the heater core outlet (return) hose on those engines is connected to the radiator tank.. The 1997-2002 SCPI 4.3L engines use a water pump with heater hose connection pipe nipples. The changes were due to different fuel injection design and complaints about the heater inlet hose quick-connect coupling. A quick connect coupling must be used because it has a built in restriction for coolant flow. If the quick-connect hose fitting is discarded and it is replaced with a plain pipe nipple, the heater and engine can not reach operating temperature. Repair shop mechanics hate those quick-connect nipples because they take a special $5 tool to disconnect the heater hose. The heater inlet hose is also a special type with a aluminum pipe nipple on one end that fits the quick connect fitting. The technicians don't realize that those quick-connect fittings have have a built in coolant flow restriction that serves to increase the coolant temperature for proper heater core operation.

When the ambient temperature is less than 60 degrees and if the cooling system is in good condition, the engine will never reach operating temperature when driving slow (below 55 MPH) or in stop and go traffic. If you drive at highway speed (55 MPH or more) for several miles, the engine should reach operating temperature of 195 degrees and remain there until you slow again.