Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester Timing belt

2»

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    Is there a sales tax, documentation fees, dealer fees? It is tough to know without those details.
  • forester5forester5 Posts: 4
    The $26,755.00 is OTD (Out The Door)price.That means all taxes,fees, license plate options(AWP)All Weather Package,Home-Link aut-dim mirror,rear bumper coverage,all weather floor mats..etc are included .
    I'm sorry, what I meant to say is that without knowing the amount of those extras, it is impossible to say whether the price of the car itself resulted in a "good deal."

For example, I don't pay state taxes, so my OTD price on my last purchase was strictly the price of the car plus the documentation (DMV) fee of $130. An OTD price of $26,755 on that car for me would be a poor deal indeed. If you're paying a couple grand in taxes, though, it would be a substantially better deal. ;)
  • forester5forester5 Posts: 4
    The dealer paid $1619.31 sale tax,$456.00 Filing fee,$75.00 document fee,$120.00 personalize license plate fee, and $411.00 delivery fee. I mean all that tax and fees are included in $26,755.00 .I am not sure about the price because I do not planning to buy a SUBARU,I am research to buy a Honda Fit,or Honda Civic ,the one that can get up to 30MPG on gas,when I am in Edmunds.com to check for price,they told me to file in my informations,they will send to some Edmunds's selected dealers and they will give me a quote.so I did,and they send to 04 or 05 Honda dealers around St.Paul/Minneapolis MN,After one day,none response,I sent out one more time,wait another day or two,and still none response.Then I go back surfing on the web again,I drop by SUBARU,gave them my informations,not just one but 06 of them response to me,I start to talk to them and end up bought one from them
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The Forester is a *lot* more car than a Civic or Fit.

My mom is on her 2nd Fit, and we like it, don't get me wrong, but we're also on our 2nd Forester and it's twice the car. No comparison.

I'd compare to a CR-V, which my brother owns. His wife owns a Forester, too, so they like both!
    So, it looks like your price for the car itself was $24,074. I would have to look at the Edmunds pricing on it to know for sure, but I would say the car itself was a decent price. The fees that the dealer added: $456 "filing" and $411"delivery" cuts down the deal quite a bit, I think, but I also don't know all the details.

Sales tax and documentation are unavoidable.

In the end, if you're happy with the car, you did well enough! :shades:
  • My 2003 2.5 liter Legacy has only 35k miles on it but is obviously over 105 months old. No extended trips in hot weather or anytime. No issues. No noise. Use synthetic oil since break-in. Question - do I REALLY have to replace the timing belt?
    Thanks.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    edited February 2013
    What sucks is that is an interference engine. So the only way to know for sure the full life of the belt would damage the engine.
    edited February 2013
    I think what juice just said was that if your belt breaks, your engine is toast... so do you really want to take that chance!? If nothing else, I'd take the cover off the timing belt just to inspect it for now, but I wouldn't wait too long to replace it. If it looks good, maybe plan on 50K at your current rate of accumulation.
  • Hi,hav'nt been here for a long while, but my 02 forester needs new struts,and am curious if the bearing plates need to be replaced at the same time? Thanks for any help on this matter.
2»