Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Maintenance

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,741
    Ah...I think changing your fuel filter after all of those miles would be an EXCELLENT idea!

Not expensive and not hard to do.
  • dafeverdafever Posts: 2
    A couple of months ago I bought new tires for my '99 Camry and noticed it started pulling hard to the right. So I got it aligned last week at a local garage. While it doesn't pull hard anymore, it still "drifts" to the right a bit. The garage is saying that I could bring it in and they'd double check the specs but that this is typical of Camry's due to the specs Toyota has for the toe and camber. Sounds a little suspect to me. Anyone else heard anything like this?
  • Thanks for the suggestion regarding the replacement of the fuel filter. I asked the toyota dealer one day and the person said it was not necessary. I normally don't do it unless something goes wrong. I think the person is right. You can replace all the parts and the car, of course, can still run. Sometimes, repair shops do this kind of dirty work. Anyway, I will stay away from the filter for the time being. I don't go to any gas stations because poor grade gas will clog the filter and perhaps damage the engine.
  • Is this garage a toyota dealer? I don't go to any garages except a trusted toyota. Sometimes, it is hard to find one near you. I have a 99' camry and the engine warning light kept on (not related to the loose gas cap) and I went to several toyota dealers and none of them could fix the problem. Finally, I found one and they replaced the ECM and the problem was gone. I have done several major works there and haven't had any complains so far. The drawback to go to a toyota dealer is you need to pay higher cost. After several failed repairs before, I went back to the dealer. I guess they are factory trained and could do much better.
  • I did clean the throttle body without having the car running, as it was my only choice. The instructions on the throttle-body cleaner, says to have the car running for some of the cleaning.

I've succesfully done this job twice on a plymouth colt. The first time I paid a Chrysler dealer lots of money to do it. The next time did it myself for $6. And it made a big difference.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    If the car didn't pull before the tires were replaced, it's possible you got a bad tire. I do believe the camrys have a slight pull to the right, and a tire that's not perfect will agitate the situation. Easy way to check this is to rotate the tires. Odds of getting more than one bad tire are slim.
  • I, also, have this warning light on. Does anybody have comments on this?
  • webguysterwebguyster Posts: 434
    I have an 00 SE V6 Camry Solara, and the car will never go straight! I have had the tires flipped inside out, left to right etc. It is usually the tires. I notice the best fix was turning the tires inside out. The tire guy explained that the tire is like a Dixie cup, if not laid correctly, thus the pull. Invert the tire, and it should be less noticable.

QUESTIONS???

My service advisor says with 30,000 miles closing in, I should do 30k maintenance. It suggests new plugs and new coolant. I have platinum plugs, and RED coolant, which is supposed to be long life!?! Any suggestions, as this is $140 difference??
  • armtdmarmtdm Posts: 2,057
    Your dealer is ripping you off big time. Plugs are platinum and minimum is 60,000 miles some go 100,000. Red coolant is 100,000 to 150,000 mile service life. On todays. cars at 30,000 nothing is needed beyond oil change and filter if that is in your normal schedule. Fuel filter probably 60,000. Air filter is at 30,000 though and you can easily do that yourself. Tranny fluid maybe but newer Toyotas may be longer then mine.

GO BY THE OWNERS MANUAL. Every dealer in the country will swear they suggest more frequent serive due to "WHERE YOU LIVE". However, whether it be FLA, MAine, WI, or Ca they all say the same thing, just a ploy to build service dept revenue. My 92 Camry has 136,000 miles. Two plug changes in its life at 60 and 120,000, belts at same interval. Air filter once a year, tranny fluid at 30,000, coolant (I have the old stuff) every other year. Again mine is a 92 so different, more frequent service then newer ones.
  • 2001 Toyota camry steering wheel vibrates at 60-65 mph and RPM 2100-2500mph.
    It gone to the repair shop for 6 times. Dealer did the balancing, alingment, swapped the tires
    with another cars (dont have problem) tires, replaced the driveshaft assembly but still the problem is there. If I dont give gass, once the vibration starts, the vibration goes away.
    During morning the vibration doesn't come immediately. I have to drive the car for 5 to
    10 minutes at 60-65mph. I believe the vibration is coming when something gets heated up.
    After the driveshaft change I can feel the vehicle vibrates when I apply the brake.
    The Vibration becomes very very bad if I keep driving at 60-65mph more than an Hour. The tire on my car is Dunlop. occassionly, I could hear a rattling sound when I make a left or right turn.
    Any idea ????
  • wilcoxwilcox Posts: 581
    Our car is just over 5 years old. The battery is original. There is alot of "build up" on one of the battery terminals. If I disconnect and clean the connection, how many minutes do I have before I need to reconnect?

thanks, wil
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,741
    At the ripe old age of five, your battery is in the final stages of it's admirable life.

You have two choices now...

1. Replace it now, under your terms. Look for a sale, go to Costco etc.

2. Just wait until it leaves you stranded at the least convenient time.

You know....kinda like a timing belt...:)

Seriously, the corrosion is a sign of impending doom. I would replace it now before cold weather sets in.
    with a 5 year old battery you are living on borrowed time, Get a new one and pay attention to the CCF number(cold cranking power) , do not get one less then that. can be had under $70 at most auto parts stores with free installation. You ae lucky to have gone that far on OEM battery
    I appreciate your responses. I'll go find a good battery....oddly enough the Walmart catalog does not have a Camry V6 battery replacement listed! But I'll get one very soon! Perhaps a DieHard...

wil
  • I posted this once b4, will try again.
    has anyone changed a valve cover gasket on a 94 4 cyl camry?

does the black plastic piece on the passenger end of the engine interfere? or does the cover come off w/o disturbing it?

Thanks
  • I have owned my 94 4-cyl LE for a few months now, and I have never been able to get it to kick into passing gear. It wasn't a problem until yesterday when a slow truck pulled in front of me. I slowed to 40 mph, floored the gas pedal to pass him, and NOTHING happened. No downshift, no revving of the engine. If I slowly depress the gas, it accelerates normally, and from a stop all gears seem to shift normally. It's going to the dealer to be checked out tomorrow, but I'm wondering what to expect - a new transmission? a sensor? price range? THANKS!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,009
    Wilcox---no, not a Diehard...buy something better. My battery man (who builds batteries) tells me Diehards are rather cheaply built low quality batteries (made by Exide).

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• Just got a '93 Camry without any owner manual. Could someone tell me the meaning of the "PWR" button on the center console and shown on the indicator light on the instrument cluster in the dash? Thanks.
  • A Camry that sputters/misses after rain--man, do I feel your pain!!

This should be the solution for you:
    Change your ignition coil. (It's just a sealed coil of wire.) I believe all 87-91 4cyl Camry engines are the same 2.0 Liter DOHC(engine model 4S-FE). I have a '90 4cyl (same engine as yours).

Here's the deal: If you have a mechanic to do it,(it doesn't need to be a dealer), the details don't matter too much, but here they are anyway. I changed the coil on a friend's Subaru Legacy in 5 minutes, BUT that had an external coil (very easy to get to.) The Camry 87-91 4cyl has an INTERNAL coil (inside the distributor). Unfortunately not just under the cap, but I had to remove the distributor from the side of the cylinder head and disassemble it to remove the old coil and insert the new one. The O-ring on the distributor should be replaced also (it's easy and will stop any small oil leak by the distributor--the O-ring is only around $1.) AND the engine FIRST must be set for the #1 piston to be at Top-Dead-Center before anything is taken apart at the beginning of the job.
    The coil is around $50 for the part through a wholesale mail-order Toyota place.
    The job took me a (relaxed) 3 and 1/2 hours!!!
    Good luck and let me know what happens.

Hi, everybody!! I'm new here. Could somebody do me a solid and alert others with a sputtering/moisture problem to these words. I want to help others avoid the agida and frustration that I endured until a friend finally correctly diagnosed my Camry's shot coil. THANKS!!
    I think the PWR button gives you a little extra scoot around town...when it's off, they say you get a little better mileage.
    I believe what it does is knock off the overdrive which will keep you in a lower gear for more power. On mine, very difficult to tell teh diff. I just leave it off all of the time.
  • The topic of batteries came up on another board. The consensus was that Interstate was an excellent brand, which is also what I use.
    There are only a handful of actual battery mnanufacturers in the country so what you buy as a brand may be manufactured by the same compnay as another brand, perhaps different specs.

I look for cold cranking power and as a minimum match what was OEM but try to get as larger a number if possible. Brands, Delco great but lately I have goe to the AutoZOnes, Advanced Auto brands and they last just as long as the others in my opinion!
  • I have a 00 Camry Solara, and have gone through 3 batteries in the 1st year. You must have got a good one! Interstate is what Toyota replaced mine with, and they still went bad, either bad batteries, or parasitic drain. My current battery seems fine, but is the cheapest available. There seems to be only a handful of battery manufacturers, and most batteries, are just branded with anoth name, like Sears DIE-HARD!
    I hope they checked the charging system etc. seems to be a problem in the electrical system and not batteries!
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    spokanegc: When the power button is depressed, the transaxle controller requires a higher frequency signal fron the vehicle speed sensor before commanding an upshift (it has to go faster at a given throttle opening before the upshift occurs). Also provides part throttle downshifts at a lower throttle opening. The resulting higher engine RPM provides more "sporty" operation and throttle response at the expense of about a 10% reduction in fuel economy.

armtdm: I think you were the one who posed a question a while back re GM supercharger oil. It's 5W-30 synthetic engine oil.
  • Mordernjazz,
    Can you share more information about the wholesale mail-order Toyota parts place?

Also about 94 head cover gasket: I worked on a 92 camry (should be same as a 94 camry), it the cast aluminum cover comes off easily. You need to take off big nuts around the spark plug poles, and tap the cover a little bit. Try to tap on the non-critical sections like the sides or font, DON'T, I mean DON'T, damage the mating surfaces, then it should come loose.
  • pilot13pilot13 Posts: 283
    Mr. Shiftright, your advice about Diehard batteries (made by Exide) is well worth listening to.They make batteries for Daimler Chrysler, among others.
    Exide was in Chapter 11 several years ago and was fire saled to a group of ex Chrysler employees at about 10 cents on the dollar. The company has done very poorly on the NYSE because of continual losses, and has been subject to more than a few class action suits from customers (most having to do with reconditioned batteries being sold as new).
    About a year ago, the company Treasurer unexpectedly resigned, and a few months later, the President was turfed out by an overwhelming majority of angry stockholders. Seems that members of senior management were far more interested in Corporate jets, English castles, and other expensive perks, than looking after job 1.
    Interestingly, the former president of Daimler Chrysler is now running the company, and the turfed out President of Exide has turned to religion as a newly ordained minister. Go figure!
    My apologies for the off topic remarks.
This discussion has been closed.