Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring Seats

2»

Comments

• hwyhobohwyhobo Posts: 263
    You drive an automatic, but you call someone else an old woman, and then you talk about "whipping this thing around corners". Funny.

For your information, part of the problem with GLS with a stick is the horrible seats with next to no adjustments. Huyndai does not offer popular package on GLS stick, only on an old woman version.
  • mike567mike567 Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    Having the same problem here with the suspension. I am considering this might be a problem with some tourings but not all... in which case a trip to the dealer might fix the problem. Anyone try to get this fixed?
  • dougndodougndo Posts: 132
    I do not know know if there were any changes or tweaks in the 2012 Elantra Touring SE from earlier models, though I suspect not. In any event, I find the seats comfortable, the ride stable and smooth, and the handling precise and predictable. (For the sake of comparison, our other two cars are a Maserati Convertible and a Chrysler Crossfire Convertible.)

One thing I can confirm is the tightness of the MT especially in 1st gear. I've stalled it a couple of times even though I've been driving MTs in most of my vehicles for 42 years. I live on a canyon side, so uphill stops are a common occurrence, and that's tougher to do with this car than any other I've owned.
    > 2012 Elantra Touring SE [...] I find the seats comfortable

SE has different seats from GL manual. Alas, on GL they were only available on automatic. I wanted to buy them as an option (Popular Option #2), but Hyundai did not offer that option package on manual transmission with GL. I think that is a bad marketing mistake, as it soured me on Hyundai, and I suspect my next car will be one of their competitors where I can pick my options and am not treated like a pariah just because I want to drive a stick.

Yes, the first gear is tight. The good news is you will get used to it soon, but it's giving my wife fits (she is trying to learn stick ;)).
    The 2012 Touring continues to grow on me. Last week I took it for an LA to LV trip and back, with two co-workers accompanying me to a conference. The larger of the two weighs well in excess of 300 lb. and occupies a lot of space. He spent about 70% of his time in the front passenger seat and commented more than once how roomy and comfortable it was. (I checked the seat later to be sure he hadn't crushed it; he hadn't.) He was very comfortable in the back seat, too.

The mileage I got was 31.5, and this included the obligatory stop-and-go freeway mess for more than an hour just to get out of LA (and getting back in), as well as an average speed of 80 MPH on the desert freeways. The little four banger seemed just fine on the upgrades and passes, even with the extra weight of passengers and bags, only needing me to downshift once at near the top of the Cajon Pass and once just after crossing the NV/CA border as I headed to Mountain Pass.

The car was a pleasure to ride drive and ride in, though a couple of stretches of NV I-15 concrete made the tires hum.

All in all, happy with this car. :)
    edited December 2011
    I had an opportunity to purchase two really big JBL professional subwoofers in their giant enclosures from Cherokee Studios in LA. The 4645C monsters looked too big for the Elantra Touring, but my measurements had indicated they'd fit. I was a bit concerned when the guy from the studio said, "No way. You'll need something bigger."

When I folded the easy-to-do rear seatbacks down we slid both JBLs in from the rear with no problem, and could have put a third one in through the side door if need be. Both he and I were impressed, plus I got to say, "Told you they'd fit."

The 18" subwoofers didn't complain at all about either the ride or the back seats. ;)
  • I have a 2010 GLS A/T with 30k miles. The support of the seat bottom cushion on the driver's side has greatly diminished since purchased. I can now feel the metal side supports on either side of my hips! Fortunately Hyundai will cover this under warranty! I go in this week to have the foam redone to give more support.

Also the brakes are a bit spongy now. I think they were less spongy when I bought the ET as they were never really all as firm as I'd want, but not enough to scare me from purchase. Should I bleed them out and start fresh? I'm leaning that direction.
    Thankfully mine have gotten a bit better over time (they were hard as a rock initially), but of course that is no guarantee it won't change (I only have 8K miles on mine). Suspension is still bone-jarring on any road imperfections, though.

I will likely keep it for a while and then trade it in for another make. Pity, because there are many aspects of this car I like a lot (utility, interior quality for the price, etc). Alas, if I have to look forward to getting out of the car and letting my bones settle down after longer driving, it is no fun.
  • I've heard suspension complains. Mine doesn't feel too bone jarring, but it's somewhat sways to much in turns I think. Yes there are a lot of pluses about this car, but some refinement oversights keep it from being great. However, a lot of people really like it.
    One plus I did not mention previously is how good the steering is considering it's some kind of hybrid drive-by-wire. It's very consistent, and the effort required is spot on to me.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    I have the GLS with upgraded fabric on the seats. I think the seats are very good. I have had the car for over 30,000 miles now. As for the harsh ride:
    1. this will sound dumb but the cars come from Korea with over 45 pounds of pressure in them to prevent flat spots on the journey over to the US. Please make sure the tires are at 32 psi. Most dealers have no clue and don't take the pressure down to what it should be. As a result, many have commented (as did I) about the harsh test ride. It was all in the tires.
    2. If you have the larger tires (SE model) with alloy wheels, you naturally will get a harsher ride. The smaller tires on the GLS with steel wheels provide a much better ride.
  • You are right to let a little out of the tires. This has been the case with imported cars for a while. For me the suspension is a bit mushy. This can be solved with upgrading the struts for a few hundred bucks. I plan on doing this soon. You can also find some stuff on Shark Racing, stabilization bars etc for a 100-200 bucks which will also help here.

As for my seat, it was defective and they replaced the cushion. The new cushion didn't fit right and, so they are ordering a new one again. I think they are going to have to replace the whole bottom seat frame kit but I'm letting them do what they got to do.

Some other things which I'm seeing in all new cars is a brake pedal is too far from the firewall to comfortably heel toe the gas brake, making you move the seat back more, the telescoping steering all the way out (thank God I have this option), only to find you have to stretch your arm straight to reach the radio and AC controls. I've found this is just about all new cars in the compact, and subcompact class. To help fix this there are some who suggest tilting the seat up at the two front seat bolts with washers, which I haven't tried but have considered it.
    > I have the GLS with upgraded fabric on the seats.

That means you have an automatic with Popular Option. Those seats are different than the ones on GLS Manual.

> Please make sure the tires are at 32 psi.

Yep, first thing I did.
2»