Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• dulnevdulnev Posts: 652
    Correct on both counts.

I've seen couple aftermarket coin solutions that people use in the new Ody to correct for this problem: one is a round holder that fits into a cup holder; the other is square holder with several rows of coins. Both have spring-loaded vertical compartments for different coin denomination.

The one that I got at auto parts store is a rectangular holder with two rows of coin compartments and with flat bottom. I simply have it placed on the rubberized tray between front seats. Because it has a flat bottom and because the tray is rubberized, the thing stays put like it's glued down. I highly recommend it!
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    I wrote "Early failure of any major component indicates the entire vehicle is a lemon" .

I consider the transmission, engine, air conditioning system, brake system to be "major components" but do not consider an alternator to be a major component.

I would say the same thing if a DC, MPV, or other new minivan had a bad transmission in the first 30 days or 1000 miles. Replace the new minivan, fix the bad transmission, and sell the vehicle as a used vehicle with a longer warranty.

Tell the buyer upfront that the minivan had a defective transmission. If a person wants to buy an almost new minivan with a rebuilt transmission, he at least knows about it before paying over $25,000.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,691
    Actually, by defination, a car becomes a "lemon" under the lemon law when a dealer is unable to fix a problem after multiple attempts.

When a car gets bought back by the manufacturer as a lemon law car, it does get re-sold as a used car disclosing the status.

Replacing a transmission DOES NOT indicate the entire car is a lemon...sorry.
  • cccompsoncccompson Posts: 2,388
    The transmission on our '99 Odyssey failed at 40,000 miles and Honda replaced it without charge although the warranty had expired. I believe the unit they installed was remanufactured.

The second transmission failed 30,000 miles later. By then Honda had extended the transmission warranty to 100,000 miles. Having little confidence that a third transmission would last beyond 30,000 miles (taking us to the end of the warranty period), we traded the vehicle...for a Pilot. I figure Honda stood behind the product which is more than I can say for other manufacturers.

Recently a Honda sales rep told me that the problem with the 4 speed tranmssions in the second generation Odyssey was simply that the vehicle was heavier than anything they had made before and the transmission wasn't beefy enough. Whether this was his opinion or "fact," I don't know.
    Reading the above discussion leads me to believe that Honda and Toyota may have become victims of their own success and some customers now expect perfection.

There is a failure rate in any manufacturing process. It can minimized but not eliminated entirely.

And it is unfortunate when it happens - especially early - with a major component such as a transmission. However, I would not expect a replacement vehicle in such circumstances.
  • You are correct in your reasoning!
  • How about this example. I agree to purchase a 2005 Honda and before I sign the required paper work and hand over money, I request a test drive of the new vehicle. On that test drive, I discover that the new Honda has a bad transmission. QUESTION: --- Am I obliged to purchase this vehicle, or can I request another vehicle out of stock?
  • "I agree to purchase a 2005 Honda and before I sign the required paper work and hand over money, I request a test drive of the new vehicle. On that test drive, I discover that the new Honda has a bad transmission. QUESTION: --- Am I obliged to purchase this vehicle, or can I request another vehicle out of stock?"

I don't know what you mean by "agree," but if you are sure the test driven vehicle has a bad transmission, you would be nuts to buy it. You didn't sign any paperwork, so you don't have to. Do I win anything?
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Thanks for the information and clarification of a "lemon".

I would not expect a new replacement vehicle for a new one I purchased UNLESS it had to have a major component replaced within the first 30 days or 1000 miles.

However, I would NOT be a satisfied customer if the transmission had to be replaced in that short period of time and the manufacturer or dealer did not give me another new vehicle to replace the one with the defective transmission.
  • If I can refuse to accept a vehicle prior to completing the deal, I should be able to get a refund or a vehicle exchange if the vehicle suffers a major component malfunction within the first 1,000 miles of use. In addition, only NEW replacement parts should be used to repair a vehicle under the manufacturer's original warranty, not re-manufactured parts. Honda is destroying their image in the marketplace with this policy. After reading these postings about V6 Hondas, who would purchase one of these vehicles?
    You are, of course, entitled to your opinion as when you "should" get a new vehicle due to major component failure.

However, no manufacturer has such a policy nor is there any legal precedent to support your proposition for their very good reason that if the problem is fixed then there is no problem (and there has been no loss of value). If the problem cannot be fixed then the lemon law applies.

Also, there is a vast difference between pre-sale discovery of a problem and one that does not manifest itself until after the sale.
    That was my point. Thanks!
  • tmk3tmk3 Posts: 7
    Thanks for the response. I can't imagine why Honda did this but I know complaining won't help. What do use use for your 3rd row to protect the floor since the all-weathers mats aren't available for it, and do you remember the name of the autostore where you purchased your coin holder. It sounds like a winner. Thank you.
  • tmk3tmk3 Posts: 7
    Has anybody hooked up their IPod to the Ody EX, and has anybody installed the XM kit by purchasing via discounter and installing yourself vs going to a dealer?
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    my opinion and i wonder if unreasonable, and not specific to Honda:

for a critical component like the transmission, the ABS system, or for a major engine component that will require some time and effort to replace, one might reasonably expect that you're going to get a free loaner vehicle (of equal or better accomodations and safety...say for a van...you're probably hauling kids...your rental should be for something which can safely accomodate your family).

And perhaps a gesture of goodwill is extended to you (that can't hurt): perhaps the first two scheduled services are on the dealership / company for your inconvenience?

then, if there is a significant delay getting the replacement parts, one might reasonably expect you are shown some excalating good will: perhaps with a free extension to your warranty, perhaps specific to the failed sub-system (ie transmission)? i don't know if that's possible...but it would be nice.

when you've got a rep for quality, or your trying to build one, you want to exceed customer expectations, not merely meet, marinally meet, or fail to meet them. and i think, the initial ownership period is critical - customers get kind of nervous about the integrity of the vehicle when there's a failure so early. rightly or wrongly, some people will feel that a system put together in the factory has a the potential to last longer than the equivalent done at the dealership.

one last thing, for a re-manufactured transmission, a customer should be given extensive documentation on what parts were replaced and the source (for example, was the torque convertor replaced), and is it comming from the factory, or a sub-contractor, and if a sub-contractor, which.

question: does a remanufactured transmission installed in say the third year of vehicle ownership within the warranty window for time and mileage, result in another 3 years / mileage of coverage, or the remainder on the original warranty for the rest of the car?
  • I cannot unlock my honda odyssey using my keyless entry remote. The only way I can open the van is manually using the key in the door. Once I do that and put the key in the ignition switch, no lights on the dashboard come up. Basically I cannot do anything with the van because looks all the electrical systems in the van have failed.

I initially thought maybe a fuse or two might have blown out, but I cannot figure out which one of them would have blown out. Does any one else have a similar problem.

For a van that is only 3 months old and has only 1000 odd miles on it, this is very disappointing. I did not expect this from a honda.
  • When was the last time you used the van? Maybe one of the interior lights just happened to be left on and completely drained the battery. Have kids?

See if you can turn on the headlights or if the horn honks, if not, I would bet it's a dead battery.
  • When you try the lights, see if they were already on. If the battery is dead, check to see what is already on when you hook up the battery. My kids drained the battery three times on my old Astro when they left the overhead map lights on and I didn't notice. (Last time was the night before we left on vacation!)
  • A remanufactured transmission in a NEW vehicle translates into "loss of value" for that vehicle. Question: ---Would you purchase a 2005 Honda with 1,000 miles on the clock, that has had a remanufactured transmission installed in the vehicle at the going retail price for the vehicle? If that is "ok", how about a remanufactured engine at 1,000 miles? At what point does a NEW vehicle loose its value with remanufactured parts?
  • dulnevdulnev Posts: 652
    I don't use any floor protectors other than the standard factory mats. The mats are there to get dirty. Once they're too dirty that I can't clean them anymore, I'll pay $90 to get a new set.

I bought the coin holder from Advance Auto Parts. There's a lot of them in DC area.
  • "If I can refuse to accept a vehicle prior to completing the deal, I should be able to get a refund or a vehicle exchange if the vehicle suffers a major component malfunction within the first 1,000 miles of use."

Hmmmm. That's a leap of logic I cannot make with you. As someone else has posted, any manufacturing process has some defects. If it is one in a million or one in ten, that's a statistical difference that is meaningful to anyone thinking of buying said product. But if it was 1 in, say, 100,000 and you are the one, saying you should get a refund is a big leap. It should be fixed, yes. And if it is fixed multiple times and doesn't work, it is a lemon and laws on the books address that. Besides, what is a "major componant"? Isn't that what is commonly covered under the usually longer drivetrain warranties?
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,732
    for a single incident is rare, but not unheard of. My sister's '02 Sienna smoked an engine at a little over 300 miles (1st week). They gave her a loaner, and held the van until someone from the Kentucky (?) factory came up to supervise the teardown. She wasn't sure of the details, but they told her that some internal passages were blocked - a casting problem, perhaps. At first they wanted to order up a crated engine (fully dressed), but she and B-I-L objected. After some raised voices, the district mgr authorized a replacement vehicle.

I have never quite understood why 'titled' personal property warranty rights are so different from other purchases. If something relatively minor on that brand new $7k plasma TV fails, you will probably get a new one. Yet a major component on an automobile during the 'infant mortality period' (say first week) usually will not. I guess the auto industry has better lobbyist in Congress?

Steve
  • I have had the following problem and am polling to find out how unique it is.

Sometimes pushing the Audio button next to the touch screen will not bring up the audio system on the touch screen. The behavior is something like this - i am listing all details i know about, but i don't know which ones are related to the bug.

o turn on car (warm), radio already in on position

o radio comes on (xm)

o back up, do not hit ok to navi disclosure.

o put car in drive, drive 35 seconds

o push the AUDIO button next to the touch screen.

at this point the car should show the

audio touch screen (channel presets, etc).

instead, the car shows the map! and you have not

even Ok'ed the navi disclosure yet.

o nothing you can push will make the car show the audio system on the touch screen.

o turn off the car and restart, and the problem clears.

I have hit this bug 5 times or so. Has anyone else seen odd or similar behavior? it is possible that my car has a defect that is unique to it, but I suspect the problem is just some intermittent software bug that depends on the exact timing of various events in the car. I have not shown the problem to honda yet. Since i can not reliably reproduce it, I know that they will just test the car and say "works fine." I plan to wait for it to occur and drive the car to honda for evaluation.

There was an interesting article in the NY Times recently on software bugs in cars. They are certainly getting more common and dealerships seem completely illequipped to handle this type of problem. They are accustomed to replacing broken parts to fix problems, not dealing with problems that are inherent to the design but not

acknowledged by the manufacturer.
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, en route to New MexicoPosts: 40,499
    Rebooting the car is becoming a more and more viable option. Here's a link to the NYT article:

What's Bugging the High-Tech Car?

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• "Rebooting the car is becoming a more and more viable option. Here's a link to the NYT article:"

Wasn't that an old joke in the 90s, where rebooting a computer was compared to analogous actions in a car? Seemed to take a lot of shots at Windows and Microsoft. It's probably somewhere on the Net. That's probably what you meant. I can be slow.
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, en route to New MexicoPosts: 40,499
    It started as part of a joke, usually between Bill Gates and the president of General Motors.

There's a grain of truth to rebooting now; someone reported the other day that the interior lights and gauges in their car were all messed up until they actually got out, and "reset" it by hitting the lock button on the key fob. When they unlocked the car and got back in, everything was working right again.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• fezofezo Posts: 9,346
    I finally have a contribution! 2002 Ody LX. Maintained by the book and then some. 64K. As McCoy used to say "It's dead, Jim!"

Well, it's actually having a near death experience which means you can make it go enough for around town and such while they order another transmission! Grrrr. For this I spent the extra money they were fetching. My old Windstall's tranny didn't die until 85,000. My next door neighbor is helpfully reminding me his Grand Caravan has 171,000 on it and not a thing wrong. This is his third in a row like that!

While it's not costing anything to replace I have to go to my dad's with the family this weekend. There are 6 of us and the Accord won't cut it. So far I'm getting nowhere getting a loaner from Honda. Families with 4 kids and/or two working parents seem to be lost on them.
    Say it isn't so!!!!
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    ..and you had gone in for the recall in june..
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,346
    Yeah, Isell. Happened on Saturday that the big "Hello, there's something wrong" message came. The TCS light and the check engine light came on simultaneously and the thing would barely crawl. Shifting into neutral and then back into drive would fix it but only on a temporary basis.

I'd be a much happier camper if at least the dealer would spring for a loaner (well, it would be a rental; they just get you in with Enterprise). There was a problem with a faulty sensor for the tranny back in 03 (the indicator for your gear would blink) and that dealership took excellent care of me. Ended up in a rented Windstall for a day and even got a free oil change out of it.

Will keep you posted.
This discussion has been closed.