Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• How do I know if it is one of the first to "roll off the line"? What do I check? Thanks.
  • Stay faaaaaaaaaaar away from HONDA, I know I will get rid of my 05 Odyssey what a piece oh junk... I am planning to trade it in for a Toyota...
  • Yep, never ever again HONDA, lessons learned... I tried to go with Lemmon Law with all the issues I had, but I will trade my 05 Ody in for a Toyota Sienna since my health is more important that getting stressed out about it...
  • I will probably purchase it tomorrow. There seems to be arguments on both sides of the car "thing." Many satisfied customers though and it is still highly rated by CR and other places. I'm tired of researching (but thanks). I have just seen both sides. I hope I don't get a lemon. Going with the 2002 EX Sport Van 38k miles. 16,977.
  • I see some as EX and some as EX Sport van. What's the difference? I can't find the information on it anywhere. Thanks.
  • I really spoke prematurely a minute ago. Sorry. Everywhere I look I see folks with transmission problems (for most all years). I can find no transmission problems reported by consumers for the Toyota Sienna 2004 (year it got big enough inside to consider). I am going to test drive it, but I've really got bad vibes off these vehicles now. Yeah, I said bad vibes. I make many decisions on those. Thanks for your help.
  • hsonghsong Posts: 11
    With only 1900 miles, my car got these serviced:
    1. air bag tightening (noise),
    2. windshield noise, yesterday,
    3. WOOOOM (high freqency) noise, technican took a look yesterday. The fix did not seem to work.

The WOOOOM noice is very annoying. It happens around 35-40mph, especially bad at speed of 60-65mph. The noice seems to come from engine. It does that at both
    acceleration and deceleration.

Anyone talking or having the same problem? :sick:
  • fljoslinfljoslin Posts: 237
    I am not sure of the production numbers, but I believe that Honda sold several hundred thousand Odysseys each year. Dissatisfied people complain, satisfied people stay quiet. the early 90's Dodge Minivans were notorious for their bad transmissions, but I had one that went 170, 000 miles and was still running fine. Some of it is luck of the draw, some of it is how and where you drive and some of it is maintenance. It would be really enlightening to see some hard numbers on this type of information. It is all statistics and percentages until it affects you and then it is 100%.
  • aaykayaaykay Posts: 539
    My 05 Odyssey EX-L with NAV and RES, has been mostly trouble-free (14,500 miles) till date.

Couple of issues:
    a) Grating sound from the brakes at low speeds - dealer changed the pads and turned the rotors - fixed.
    b) Whistling sound from the windshield. Dealer has ordered a part to fix it.

Nothing else...till date.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Check the assembly date. If it was built before 2002, I'd be a little more cautious. That year was the first year of the new 5 speed automatic and the big boost in horsepower and torque.

The date should be on the driver's door pillar on a sticker with all sorts of information. Where it was built. When was it built. Etc.

Like from my door pillar sticker, I know that mine was built 12/01 in Alliston, Ontario.

Good luck, and so far mine's been OK, save a few things, but still, sometimes its luck of the draw.
  • master1master1 Posts: 340
    WARNING!! You should not get any of those because they both have transmission problems. The 2001 and 2002 Odyssey has a engine that was new, it was a engine they made up. That's why it has problems. You should only get the Odyssey with the rear amber turn signals (2003 - 05), because those had a better, and more reliable engine.
    RESPONSE TO ODDYSSEY WILL NOT CRANCK
    Hi there! The best suggestion that I have for you is honestly, TAKE YOUR CAR TO THE DEALER!! The dealer will check your car, and find the true problem. The mechanics on the street aren't the best thing when you have serious mechanical problems like this. Please respond so I know that you read my messege.
    Good Luck!
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,732
    You are off a year. '99-'01 had the 4spd tranny, 210 hp version of the 3.5 liter, red turn signals, rear drum brakes, no side airbags, 5 spoke wheels, etc. '02 thru '04 was the revamped version of the model, and had the 5spd mated to the 240hp / 3.5 liter engine with the other good stuff added.

Interestingly enough, I knew someone from work who had a very late production '01 model that must have been assembled during the line transition. It had amber rears and the newer 7 spoke alloys, over rear drums, and the rest of the regular '99-'01 hardware.

Steve
  • Thanks for the advice. I do have it in the shop and they have always fixed any problem. thanks, dm
    The 2002-2004 Odyssey had Amber turn signals also. Mine has them.

The 2002 has the same engine as the 2003-2004. It was virtually unchanged from year to year except for some minor things like color reshuffling.

The 99-01 Odysseys were the ones without Amber turn signals.

Just felt I had to correct you because I own a 2002 myself :)
  • Seems to work fine but for some reason the mechanical noise seems louder.

They made my wind noise problem they were attempting to remedy exponentially worse. Gone is the high pitched sound at 50moh+. Now it sounds like I have an open window above 30mph.

Back to the dealer this AM...

So far this Honda has been a complete disappointment. And that disappoints me.

Separately - from time to time I'll come back to the vehicle after it has been parked for a while and find all 4 windows down about 1-4"? Am I hitting something on the key fob that does this?
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    Separately - from time to time I'll come back to the vehicle after it has been parked for a while and find all 4 windows down about 1-4"? Am I hitting something on the key fob that does this?

You're probably holding the unlock button a bit too long. If you hold the button it will roll all the windows down.
  • Now I know what's going on. I was worrying about coming back to the car in the midst of a rain/snow storm and finding it a bit damp.

Windnoise fixed...for now. The replacement side molding on the RH side had bad clips and had come loose. Replaced. We'll see how long they last.
  • Whistling sound seems to be quite common on Odysseys. Can anyone explain when do you notice this? I have a 05 Odyssey EX-L, noticed some sound only when it is windy on freeways. At low speeds I don't notice the sound.

Thanks in advance
    It may be your accessory belt.
    Hi. Take your car to the dealership to check it out - that would be the best thing to do.
    check what the recomended maintence says. Its in your owners manual and on edmunds website.
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    Interesting. My 05 does not make thia noise. Are your windows all the way up? Doubt this is "common".
  • I have a 2001 honda odyssey and have had serious problems with the transmission. It has been replaced 3 times (yes that is correct) and is currently at the dealer with what I suspect to be a transmission problem again. (ie. engine light and TCS light is illuminated. same thing occurred the past 3 times and resulted in having to change transmission). Transmission was last replaced at 60,000+ miles. Is this car a lemon? Anyone out there had similar problems and how does one proceed in a situation like this. Fortunately the transmissions have been replaced free of charge since warranty was still valid but my van currently has 76,000 miles and warranty was extended by Honda to 100,000 so am running out of time and miles and patience.

Help! and Thanks
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Get it fixed one more time under the extended warranty, then trade it for some other brand. You have been much more patient than I would have ever been.

(Owner of a 1996 Caravan now at 85K miles and still on the original transmission and running fine)
    Here's what I'd do.
    I'd get the transmission replaced now and maybe one more time before it hits 100K. (if it breaks again)

Then go and trade it in immediately on a new van. Immediately. Like, the minute you drive out of the service department, go straight to the New Car sales department.
  • I've got an 03 Ody with the exact same problem. At the dealer now for the 4th time. First time they adjust the idle valve. Worked fine for a few days, then it started again. Brought it back and they found wire disconnected coming from the power steering pressure sensor... (I guess input required for variable assist power steering) A few weeks later. Same thing, but worse car would stall randomly and accelerate from idle randomly. I could get a little dicey while slowing for a light when the engine revs to 2000 when you have brake pressure applied for idle. Dealer "fixed" the wire again. Now I'm in for the 4th time and they can't duplicate the gripe. And won't change anything to see if it helps. Frustrating. I called Big Honda and let them know about the issue. They car has been great, but this is unacceptable. Let me know if they find a cure for yours...
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    Hockeymike, does your VIN fall into the range mentioned in this TSB? I don't know if a clogged EGR valve would create the symptoms you report, but it's worth a look:
    http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Honda/1121842800000_1123225200000_05-026/601.html
  • fljoslinfljoslin Posts: 237
    BTW I had a 1992 Grand Caravan which I got rid of with 170,000 miles with the original trans working fine.
  • hraohrao Posts: 78
    No wonder Honda scored so bad in the JDPower Quality survey
This discussion has been closed.