Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    I have a 2002 Ody that had the transmission just go out at 90K miles. A local Honda dealer replaced it for $1500.00 out of my pocket. The "new" tranny is now warranty covered for another 36K miles.

I don't understand the cost. I thought Honda gave that transmission a 100,000 mile warranty. I can understand the second being warrantied at 36,000.
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    Called dealer, they say it is most likely normal, the brake is trying to squeeze out the moisture. Anybody else has this problem. If only me, then I have to make an appoinment to have them take a look at it.

I don't but I look around on the internet alot. Seems that there is some issue with the brake material. As far as I can tell it dosen't seem that it stops any different but I think Honda is coming out with a new brake pad. I can't geive you a link but search for Odyssey Forums and then look for 2005+ discussions there is a large tread in there!!
  • aaykayaaykay Posts: 539
    Can a new topic be started for "2005+ Honda Odyssey Problems" ?

None of the earlier generation Odyssey problems (including the transmission issue) seem to affect the 2005+ models. So it is very difficult to make much sense from various posts about all kinds of problems that impacted previous generation (pre-2004) Odysseys, none of which are applicable to the current generation.

Please start a new discussion topic for the new generation Odysseys. I searched but did not find an option that would allow me to start a new discussion. TIA
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,403
    Is the 2006 really a new generation/re-design? That would determine if such a split would be useful I think.

• they stated that the 100K transmission warranty extension only applies to the 2001 models, not the 2002.
  • Per previous post, I have a 2002 Ody w 91K miles that required a new tranny. Dealer installed but had to charge me $1500.00.

Trying to get Honda Corporate to reimburse for the $1500 citing multiple articles refering to design defects of this model.

How has anyone been successful in getting Honda to reimburse a loyal customer for this?

Thank you.
  • I suggest the Nissan or a Toyota Sienna. I have had a terrible clunking sound and vibration up the steering column since the car hit 30K. Two dealers told me it was due to the "heavy brake caliper" and since Honda will not send a new one for replacement...only a reman...the noise is often worse. This last trip included a new front motor mount and a replacement caliper. Sound is diminished, but not gone. OTher issues have been, wind noise, defective window actuater, and having gone through three complete sets of new tires in 50,000 miles. Our driving patterns have not changed in 30 years, our Nissans have been wonderful. The Chryslers (3) and the Hondas (2) :confuse: :mad: :( have been difficult.
  • agusagus Posts: 6
    Sebring95,
    Your explanation makes sense to me.
    Thank you.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    i hear some clunking sometimes when getting on the brakes in my '03, but this is clearly not a transmission related noise...

can you be more specific w.r.t. the vibration felt in the steering column? our odyssey has a very quiet engine and no engine induced vibration. if you needed a new front motor mount, i can imagine you had substantial vibration.

that said, three sets of tires in 50K? what tire do you have on your ODY? are you properly inflating and rotating the tires? does your vehicle need an alignment? the OEM tires on our LX lasted about 30K. we ran them slightly under-inflated, and my wife corners pretty hard (fast).

i believe, if your alignment is good, and if your tires are inflated properly and rotated every 7.5K, you shouldn't have gone through 3 sets in 50K, even if they were the OEMs.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    Is the 2006 really a new generation/re-design? That would determine if such a split would be useful I think.

2005 model was the redesign/3rd generation.
    The 2005+ models are a new design/new generation. Currently accounting for 2 model years : 2005 and 2006.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/artman/publish/article_152.shtml

This is a ground up re-design, starting with the changing of the body structure and chassis to an "ACE" structure.

None of the problems commonly associated with the pre-2004 model years are present within the 2005/2006, specifically the infamous transmission issue.

The 2005/2006 has certain unique minor issues like wind noise from the windshield, noise from hard brake pads, characteristic boom when VCM (Variable cylinder management) is activated etc., none of which are applicable to the previous generation (pre-2004 model years).
    Among the other vehicles in the Honda line-up that are based on the Odyssey platform (Global light-truck platform), only the Honda Ridgeline is based on the newer generation Odyssey platform.

The 2005/2006 Honda Pilot and the Acura MDX are based on the previous generation Odyssey platform and hence do not have the ACE body structure etc. A redesign of the Pilot/MDX based on the new Odyssey platform is supposedly in the works.
    Okay, here's the topic for the newest generation of Honda Odyssey, 2005+ models:

Honda Odyssey: Problems and Solutions: 2005+ models

thank you for the suggestion!

MrShiftright
    Host

Thanks a bunch ! That was very quick.
  • I've noticed exactly the same problem on my brand new 2006 EX-L bought last Saturday! It's such a huge disappointment. I wish I had checked out this forum before making the purchase. When the noise comes it feels like the whole cabin is making a hollow, vibrating sound. It hurts my eardrums sometimes. My Accord is such a bliss compared to the Ody.
  • MrShiftright, since this one seems to be a major complaint on 2005+ Ody's, could you move/copy it to the new 2005+ topic?
  • rob123rob123 Posts: 21
    My 2006EX with 3,000 miles has the same problem,I'm
    taking in monday.
    It's a real disappointment is right.
  • raduzraduz Posts: 5
    i had my 2002 ody transmission replaced at 63k miles last week. aparently the transmission does not have a 100k warranty, only the 99-01 have. the 2002-2004 they just fixed them with the oil jet kit recall. luckily i had purchased a honda care warranty to 100k. mine was also "fixed" with the oil kit at 43k miles. based on forums like this one honda has reimbursed partially or totally transmissions going out early. I think they should really extend the warranty on these trans to 10000k since they obviously have a problem, not really fixed by their recall.

new remanuf tranny seems ok, but who knows how long it is going to last
    software's being tempermental about moves lately, so I'd suggest the member with the 2006 re-post his comments about humming noises in the 2005+ Odyssey topic. Sorry I tried.

Shifty the Host

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I was reimburst partially, and my new tranny seems to be doing fine. (after a year and two months)
This discussion has been closed.