Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• lrlanderlrlander Posts: 3
    The upper stop bumpers which contact the open sliding doors have actually liquified and fell out on my 2000 EX. It is hot here in Florida but this one is hard to believe much less on a car that is garaged. The lower bumpers are fine.
  • mrr2mrr2 Posts: 1
    Did anyone else purchase the extended warranty from "Portfolio?" My 2002 Odyssey is having multiple problems with the transmission, motor mount and fuel tank. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm hopeful that the warranty will cover it.
    Let me know.
  • dave594dave594 Posts: 218
    A few months ago, my 99 Ody (then with 76k miles) had its CEL come on. The dealer said it was a bad fuel tank purge valve. I ordered the part but decided not to get the part changed just then. The dealer reset the CEL and I had no problems driving it until this week. Yesterday, the CEL light came on again (at 83k miles), I took it back to the dealer and told them to replace the valve as I didn't think there were other issues besides that since I had no other drivability issues. Service guy calls me back just now and said the catalytic converter is shot too. Now, I'm starting to get a bit suspicious that it's very convenient that I'm now just past the 8/80k emissions warranty, and I'm on the hook for a $700 catalyic converter job. If that thing would have went out earlier at 76k miles, it would have been under warranty. I asked him to check what Honda will do for me since it's just over the warranty. But I'm not very hopeful at this point. I can't prove anything about what codes were actually read a few months back, but I am suspicious that by resetting the CEL without changing anything that they could have hoped to have it come back on after the car passed 80k miles. Maybe I'm grasping at straws. What do you all think out there?
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    ouch.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&cat- cgry1=Odyssey&catcgry2=1999&catcgry3=5DR+LX+6&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=EXHAUST+PI- PE

if you really need to save a buck and if you are mechanically inclined, aftermarket convertors might run you anywhere from 150 to 250. not sure if the aftermarket convertor would be acceptable in all states.

if you can't do it yourself, ask an independant how much if you supply the convertor.
  • dave594dave594 Posts: 218
    I asked my dealer service manager to see if Honda would cover my catalytic converter even though it's just out of warranty. They just told me they would cover the parts ($600 tab) and I pay for the one hour of labor and the misc. seals, etc. I'm pretty happy they were willing to do this.
  • expertbiexpertbi Posts: 23
    The sliding doors on my 2000 OD do not close fully it is the last 1mm where it stops and there is a humming sound. The dealer wants to replace the junction switches and the door latch for $1000. Is this reasonable? Have any of you had this problem and how did you solve it?
  • gator12gator12 Posts: 1
    Pull fuse #13, wait 30 seconds, put back. (Don't disconnect battery. Don't pull different fuse. See website below for lots of user experiences and cautions.)

Sliding door problems are notorious on this car. This trick is well known on line (for example, go to http://www.carsurvey.org/viewmorecomments_review_21136_4.html ). But dealers continue to rip owners off with expensive, unnecessary repairs as solutions.
  • My 01 Odyssey has been having work done on the driver's door since December (another story). After the latest "fix", the SRS light was on. They were working on the power window (alignment) and speaker wiring (disconnected). They claim that nothing they did could have caused the light to come on. Is this true? I'm suspicious, if only because the problem occurred only after they were in the door.

Is it possible that it just needs to be reset?
  • edsofaruedsofaru Posts: 31
    Hi

I am new to this Forum. We have a 2003 Odyssey with a loose front power plug. Does anybody has the instructions on how to remove the CD drawer and the hosing in order to reach the back of the plug and fix it?

Thanks
    Edgar
    have a look here:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&cat- cgry1=Odyssey&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=5DR+EX&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=CONSOLE+%281- %29

you might be able to remove the plug by removing the lower console lower center garnish (11). I think you might have to remove the clips (21), which I think are covered.

another possibility may be removing the box assembly center (15).
  • edsofaruedsofaru Posts: 31
    user777

Many thanks :) . I will give it a try ASAP.

Best Regards
    Edgar
  • esd1esd1 Posts: 1
    I'm having what I believe is an electrical issue with my 2004 Honda Odyssey. Sometimes the volume control on the steering wheel does the opposite of what is supposed to do (turn it up, it goes down or visa versa). Also when I turn the van on the overhead lights sometime flicker for a minutes. And once the dash button that closes automatically closes the side door didn't close the door. I had to get out and manually close it. This seems to happen most times when the van has been sitting mostly on warm days. Any advice? I took it in last summer for this but it wouldn't "act up" for the mechanic, so he said he couldn't help me. I'm taking it again but I've got to get it fixed, the warrenty is almost up. Any advice?
    The volume up/down sounds like a possible problem with the "clock-spring", a device that maintains electrical continuity when the wheel is turned from one limit to the other limit between the wheel mounted controls, and the wiring harness feeding the radio, cruise, horn, airbag.

When your overhead lights are on before you start the van, i would think they'd temporarily dim, or go completely off when trying to start the car. See, the starter pulls a LOT of current when engaging the engine to get it to turn over.

Van sitting on warm days causing a problem with the doors? Never heard of it, but I believe the "window regulators" (motors that move the windows up/down) have temperature protection such that if they meet too much resistance doing their thing and begin to over-heat, they shutdown for a while. Like a window regulator, perhaps a door getting direct sun warms the door motor too much such that it shuts down almost immediately. If that is the case, i'm not sure how you'd replicate it for the technicians. The next time this happens, see if the other door also has a problem. Maybe you have a marginal motor that needs replacing. Perhaps getting them to note it on your records prior to warranty period being up will help you after the warranty period.
  • dzlpwr7dzlpwr7 Posts: 3
    I have had several sets of the Michelin Symmetry tires on a 95 Odyssey. These tires ride nice and are fairley quite but did not last, down to the wear bars at around 37,XXX miles. Michelin replaced them on a pro rated basis.
    I know that the aligment was correct and I do not drive hard or take corners fast. The Symmetry is the worst wearing tire that I have ever had and give Michelin a bad name. My mother in-law has a pair of them on a Toyota Camry and are not wearing well at all.
    I now have a 99 Odyssey with a set of Michelin Hydroedge and at 38,XXX miles are wearing so well that they still look like new. These tires give a stiff ride with not so good traction in snow but give outstanding performance in the rain.
    I don't mean to discourage you, just sharing my personal experience.
  • tonfgtonfg Posts: 1
    Hello, did you ever get a reply to your question about how to remove the sliding door panels from your ODYSSEY? I am looking for the same instructions, and have not found an answer. If you have them, could you please post it here? Thank you. J
  • orlandoflorlandofl Posts: 9
    Yes, it should be on. If it's not, the light is burned out. The lights are usually about $5.00 from the dealer.

I just replaced my temperature control light. I know someone that took it to the dealer and was charged $100 for this.

To remove that part of the dashboard, you need to move the shift lever to the 1st gear position. Then, you can just pull the dashboard off.

Disconnect the wires to the interior lights and the temperature controls.

When you turn it over, you'll see 6 round holes in the back. These are for the 3 large and 3 small lights (one of the small lights is labelled 'black')

To remove a light, just use a flathead screwdriver and turn the base of the light counter-clockwise. Try and grasp the light and remove it.

Insert the new bulb, and lock it in place with the flathead screwdriver.

Re-connect the wires, and press the dashboard back into place.
    Oops, I gave you incomplete instructions...

1. Remove the Center Panel (has temperature control)
    - see above instructions.

2. Remove the Driver's Switch Panel (has cruise and TCS control)
    - gently pull on the right side (by the steering column)
    - then pull on the left side
    - disconnect the wires

3. Remove the instrument panel
    - remove 8 screws holding the instrument panel
    - gently pull the instrument panel off
    - disconnect the wires

4. Replace the light bulb
    - turn the instrument panel over
    - you should see a round hole that contains the light bulb

It may seem light a lot instructions, but if I can do it, anyone can. Check out what the dealer will charge you for doing it, and you may find it worth your while.
    You should also clean the contacts on the sliding doors with a white pencil eraser.
  • campalonecampalone Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Odyssey. I have gone through three passenger side headlamps in last six months. Anyone know why?
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,598
    Are you touching the bulb with your fingers when replacing it?

If so, you are transferring oils to the bulb. The high head of a halogen bulb will cause it to basically cook itself with those oils.
This discussion has been closed.