Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• We have this exact problem in our 2003. I was given some suggestions in message 6309 and 6315. :blush: Haven't tried them yet. I don't want to take it to the dealer until we can duplicate for them to hear, we've explained it, I've even recorded it but they want to hear it in person. Our buzz used to take about an 1 hour to start but it happens more rapidly now.
  • hangaralf1hangaralf1 Posts: 107
    i know i'm a little late on this post but i have a trailer hitch on my 99 ody and they replaced it - no problem or questions asked. i used for a bike rack too.
    shocks or springs - i have this also on my 99
  • ggp9909ggp9909 Posts: 2
    I just followed the same advice and it worked like a charm. I had called the dealer on my 2002 van and they said I would have to bring it in. I'm sure you saved me a pretty penny as well.
  • blendengblendeng Posts: 12
    I have a 1999 Honda Odyssey LX from Canada that has 60k+ miles. Do I need to replace the timing belt and water pump?
  • kelskarkelskar Posts: 1
    2002 Odyssey EX auto transmission, sports package, apx 47,000 miles. I've not read of anyone else having this problem, so here goes...Occassionally, (only at first-of-day start-up) I cannot depress the brake pedal. It's as though a brick were under the pedal, I'm not a small gal, and I've stomped with all my weight, the brake pedal will not move until I shift into a different gear then back into the gear I want. Which gear does not seem to be a factor- I'd only had it happen when in reverse, but it has now happened to my husband in drive. It started about 6 months ago, happening two or three times in the next 4 months, now it's been about 6 or 7 times in the last two months. Any ideas?
    service manual says: "60,000mi/96000km/4years:
    replace timing belt and inspect the water pump if the vehicle is regularly driven in weather over 110 degrees F.

105,000mi/168,000km/7 years:
    replace timing belt and inspect the water pump only if the belt was not replaced at 60,000miles.

that is a direct quote from the service manual for the 99 odyssey minus references to page numbers.

you don't drive in 110 degree weather regularly, (i assume), but then it has been seven years. personally, its alot less expensive to replace a belt than a cylinder head.
  • lsg1lsg1 Posts: 42
    I have a problem with my 2001 Odyssey EX. The brake lamps(2 side - not top center) burn out with a very high frequency. I just brought it in Thursday to replace one, and on friday it burnt out again. I am tired of changing them. I do have a wheel chair in the cargo area that sometimes bangs on the rear door on acceleration. Could the vibration of the bang break them?(I doubt it).
    The guy that changed it told me if it burns out again to bring it in to Honda to check if there is an electrical short.
    Any one else have this problem?
    Thanks
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    emm = i think you found your culprit. mechanical stress. is there a way to secure the chair so it cannot move against the hatch on acceleration?

another possibility, see if autozone or other sells a bulb for more stressful service (like a dump truck for example).

filaments are pretty delicate things.

ok, another possibility is an alternator with poor voltage regulation. i presume other bulbs would burn out if the volts output from the alternator were truely excessive. then again, i'm not sure what other lamps you'd have on: maybe parking lights?

another possibility: going out on a limb.. do both bulbs on the sides burn out, or just one side? if just one side, i'd suspect the socket is faulty, and not making good contact with the bulb. happens. if they put one of these bad bulbs under test, is the filament actually broken so there's no continuity?

some ideas. regards.
  • cxccxc Posts: 122
    I replaced the timing belt of my 1999 Odyssey with 125,000 miles by MYSELF because a dealer asked for $600 for the job. I purchased a special tool (SP60100, $50) from ToolParadise.com to hold the crankshaft and borrowed a torque wrench from autozone. It took about 8 hours. There are several surprises. First, the timing belt after 125,000 miles is in the perfect condition, which is the same as the new one I bought from a dealer except for that the label on the old one is not as clear as that on the new belt. Second, it seems that the old timing belt was installed with one tooth off on the back timing cam gear. A lot of people will not believe this. I should have taken a picture before removing the belt. Now the timing marks are perfectly aligned for three points: front timing gear, back timing gear, and crankshaft. Third, the mpg of my Odyssey increased by 3 –4 mpg after the belt change. I had a 300 miles trip (@70 mph) a few weeks ago and the Odyssey used only 9.5 gallons while I was used to consume ~12 gallons for the same trip. I could not believe this. On the return trip, I filled up the gas tank again for every ~150 miles. Each fill up is 4.6 – 4.8 gallons. This means that the Odyssey is running ~32 mpg @70 mph. Could anyone explain this mpg increase other than the one-tooth off of the timing belt?
  • sbpceapsbpceap Posts: 67
    When a timing belt is even one tooth off, the engine cannot achieve correct timing. I didn't have the courage you did to change my own timing belt. After I had a mechanic change the timing belt in my old van (a 4 cylinder '85 Voyager at that time), it lost some of the little power it had. I tuned it up, tried to set the timing (not computerized in those days)but couldn't set it accurately. I got used to the low power, until a Vermont ski trip when temp's reached 15 below zero. When I started the engine, the extreme cold caused the stiffened timing belt to slip another tooth. Now it had so little power, my wife and I looked at each other and laughed embarrassedly as everyone passed us on even the smallest incline. I brought it to a good Chrysler dealer in Troy, NY, who found that the timing belt was off TWO teeth. When this more competent mechanic correctly installed the belt, I had power and gas mileage that I forgot the van ever had. I realized that the first mechanic installed the belt off one tooth, and the extreme cold the second tooth. After the belt was installed correctly, the timing could be accurately adjusted on this van, up until I bought my Ody. -sbpceap
    oh gosh - is that another contributor to poor MPG results?

maybe people with very far off the curve fuel economy should ask someone check their timing...
  • etmjretmjr Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Honda Odyssey with 84000 miles. Between 45 and 50 mph the engine runs rough. At all other speeds no problem. Any advice.
  • ftmacftmac Posts: 1
    I have the same issue with the mirror lens craked, were you able to fix the mirror?

Thanks
  • autowriteautowrite Posts: 221
    This week, I just had the Timing Belt changed at 154,000 kilometers as the dealer said not to take a chance, waiting till 168,000 kms. If it broke it would be $3,500 instead of $750. It actually cost me $795 including a new water pump. At the same time the dealer changed the Serpentine belt and the spark plugs.
    This is a 2002 EX Canadian.
    :)
  • sbpceapsbpceap Posts: 67
    Based on CXC's post (#6431) you probably could have waited quite safely thru 168 Kilometers. But if it's any consolation, Honda charges $14-18 for each of those six spark plugs you had installed. That's $100 in parts alone, right there!
  • I have a 2002 Canadian Odyssey and we were not informed that it was Canadian by the Honda dealership from which it was purchased. I am very angry after reading all of the information on this site, and I am concerned about my vehicle being a problem. I have already experienced the vehicle stalling for no reason when I have had my foot on the gas pedal, as well as noticing the engine having difficulty around 45-55 mph. What signs did you notice with your vehicle when it was giving you problems? :confuse:
    stumbling and uneven acceleration ... probably have a clogged EGR port. there is a TSB on it.
  • definitely sounds like a bad egr valve. there was a recall on it. my 02 odyssey did the same thing between 45 and 55.
  • How were you informed of the recall? Our dealership has not informed us of this and wants us to use our extended warranty to fix it. I think that we may not be covered under the recall because it is a Canadian model. When did the recall occur?
This discussion has been closed.