Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apps and Maps - Best Downloads for Drivers

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,959
GM will soon release OnStar smartphone applications for owners to operate controls like door locks or start the engine from miles away. They can also get info like fuel level, available driving range, oil level, tire pressure and other diagnostic information - app is included with the regular OnStar subscription. Sounds like a reasonable deal to me, esp if you've already got OnStar.

I'm a big fan of Google maps. It's my opinion that with a few upgrades, they'll put an end to navigation system companies like Garmin being able to charge $100+ for map updates. They're already pretty good, especially for free.

My phone is relatively low-tech, but my S.O. is an iPhony and a heavy traveler. What are your favorite apps?

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 10,057
    Google maps is pretty good - had I not already had a nav unit when I got the latest phone I might have let the phone do all the work.

Anyone with good Driod apps for the road?
    2013 Mazda 5 Grand Touring, 2010 Toyota Prius IV. 2007 Toyota Camry XLE, 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999 Mazda Miata
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    Gas Cubby - great app for car maintenance
    http://iphoneapps.oreilly.com/2010/01/car-maintenance-gas-mileage.html

AAA - great for roadside discounts
    http://iphoneapps.oreilly.com/2009/10/roadside-discounts.html

AAA Roadside Assistance
    http://www.appolicious.com/tech/apps/53690-aaa-roadside-aaa

Avego - great for carpoolers
    http://www.avego.com/

Inrix Traffic App - crowdsources and predicts traffic congestion areas
    http://www.inrixtraffic.com/
  • At Edmunds, we're constantly reporting on and testing the latest automotive-related apps. Here's a sample of just a few:

Google Maps Navigation: http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/audio/articles/161206/article.html

Free iPhone nav apps: http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/audio/articles/164526/article.html

Paid iPhone nav apps:http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/audio/articles/159848/article.html

HD Radio app: http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/audio/articles/162726/article.html

For more, check out the Car Audio & Electronics Center, http://www.edmunds.com/technology/, and follow Edmunds Daily, http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/

Doug Newcomb, Senior Editor, Technology
    How about us Droid folks?
    2013 Mazda 5 Grand Touring, 2010 Toyota Prius IV. 2007 Toyota Camry XLE, 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999 Mazda Miata
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 44,466
    (maybe you need this app so you don't hit the car in front while playing with your phone?)

" When mounted properly in the center of your dash, an iPhone with imaGinyze installed will detect the lane that you're in, marking it with border lines that match up with the painted lines on the road, and filling the inside with a blue overlay."

imaGinyze augments your driving experience with AR iPhone app (Gizmag)

Moderator - Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 47,370
    I don't like nanny devices in cars.

I'm gonna try out INRIX traffic and let you all know what I think.

Google Navigation (free on my Droid Incredible) is excellent---you can just throw your Garmin away **

**caveat---for some strange, inexplicable, puzzling reason, there is no dash mount yet available for the Droid Incredible.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

StartTalking and Vlingo allow drivers to text via voice control, completely hands-free.

Next they'll come up with one that lets you actually talk to someone else in real time. :)

StartTalking, Vlingo (Straightline)

I've plugged the Pandora app into the AUX of my CD deck and it works flawlessly wherever I've driven so far. Sound quality is pretty darn good (not too "bright", but very good volume and not too much distortion). I may do the $36 a year Pandora subscribe to see if sound quality is better. Only downside is that if I'm running Pandora and NAV, even with the car charger plugged in, eventually, on a long day's drive, the cell phone finallly fades out. It gets pretty warm, too, which is a little worrisome, but so far, so good. This is a great APP for free.

I love Pandora. Let me know if you try the pay version. I haven't gone that route yet but could be persuaded.
    edited November 2010
    I tell 'ya, it's FANTASTIC in the car with the Droid (or probably any other good smartphone). Trick is, you need a deck that has the right AUX jack. Also, I bought a very high quality pigtail to go from the phone to the AUX. Don't cheap out on that.

CAUTION---the Android protective plastic cover you buy as an accessory interferes with the pigtail plug in---you need to file it down just a little bit or you won't get a good plug-in.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,959
    fezo, we've gone the pay route - really, for $36/year, it is WELL worth it. No ads, no skip-song limits, and no per-month listening limit, plus the sound quality is a bit better. We decided to risk it for that little an amount, and just having the no-ad feature makes it well worth it for us.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

edited December 2010

"Not only does it provide a visual record of who was at fault in an accident, but you can also use it to record any other questionable activity that takes place in front of your car. "

iCar app turns an iPhone into a car accident black box (Gizmag)

Replaying to an almost 3 month old post - I broke down and paid Pandora the $36. Between the lack of ads and the ability to skip more songs if they don't catch me it's well worth it.
    Did you *really* notice any improvement in sound quality?

Well, most of the time it's playing though one of those cassette things with the aux plug on it in an 04 Odyssey which wouldn't really show improvement.

When I have it in my wife's car there's maybe a little difference. Not enough that I'd pay the $36 for it's that's the only reason you'd do it.
    So long as you weren't speeding. Fun AutoObserver tweet led me to this one today:

How My Smart Phone Got Me Out Of A Speeding Ticket In Traffic Court (skattertech.com)

I think if the cop had been more together with his evidence, the GPS defense would not have held up, but as it was, it was better than the cop's, so there you go.

edited March 2011

• fintailfintail Posts: 35,399
    Like the comments say, political grandstanding

Aren't most checkpoints public knowledge already?

Or could it be because a feared speed trap revenue decrease?
    many of these apps rely on information reported by other users---so yeah, try and shut down the sharing of information among citizens, and then explain it to the Supreme Court.

I suppose if someone secretly installed GPS devices on cop cars, well, yeah, that might be illegal....:)

"The Edmunds app for Android combines Edmunds.com pricing, research and new car inventory in one powerful car shopping app to help you find and buy the new car you want at the best possible price. You can research new-car pricing, configure a car to your requirements, read Edmunds Car Reviews and find regional True Market Value® pricing. Then you can locate a car at a dealer, contact the dealer for a price quote and have the research at your fingertips to help get the best deal on your car."

Edmunds App for the Android is now live!

Android Market

I'm downloading it as we speak. I'll let you know.

Works well---selecting the make and model is a bit tricky because the highlighting is very dim and the print is small.

Also requires a force stop on the Android---no "close" on the menu.

could use some spiffing up, but gets the job done!

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,049

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

edited April 2011

edited May 2011