Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Air Ride Suspension

How do you deflate the air suspension system in order to replace the front air shocks? Chilton says to plug in a coder to send codes to deflate it. Is there a procedure to do it manually?

Thanks,

Gordon

Comments

• expedhelpexpedhelp Posts: 1
    I have a 97 expedition 5.4L v8, 123K miles.....on June 22, 2006 with 115K miles the vehicle ran very rough and the rear end was almost sitting on the tires. I took the vehicle to a Ford dealer who diagnosed and replaced the air ride compressor and relay. Now 11 months later at 123K miles (only 8K in a year and I drive almost all local and no towing) - I have the same problem again. Does that sound right? Should that type of costly repair not even last a year?

Any advice out there, please?
  • mattiepmattiep Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 GMC Sierra. We had to put another transmission in it. We drove it about 700 miles and now it won't go into low or overdrive. The guy at the transmission shop said it showed to be running 16mph in park. We have changed the computers out and that did nothing. Do you have any suggestions?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    I think you're looking for the Silverado & Sierra Transmission Problems discussion.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • bk000bk000 Posts: 1
    How much noise does the air suspension make? Do you hear the air compressor everytime you start the vehicle?
  • It could be possible that your air suspension has a slow leak causing the pump to run excessively which is leading to early failure.
  • dohrmcdohrmc Posts: 14
    My 2002 Expedition has air suspension, and usually after it has been sitting for a while, I will hear the pump banging away up front for a short while. I complained to my dealer about the racket, and he didn't mention the TSB out on the suspension pump. After the car sits for a while, you will most likely hear the pump. Incidently, the air pump can be obtained online and taken to your local mechanic for replacement. I am considering doing that on my Expedition.
  • I have a similar problem with my 98 expedition. after it sits for a day or so, the rear end is sitting almost on the tires. after i start it and move a very short distance, the load leveling will kick on and level out the suv. I think this is due to the leveling swith going out. Does anyone have input on this and can you tell me where to buy the switch. Also, I saw something about a tsb on the pump for this system. any aditional info on that. Thanks for any info
  • jimprvjimprv Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 2007 Ford Expedition XL with the heavy duty tow package since I pull a 26 foot travel trailer. Is it possible to have the shocks changed to air adjustable shocks to provide a smoother ride. Does one change both the front and rear to air adjustable shocks.
  • kh400kh400 Posts: 1
    You could have a leak in one of the air bags that act as springs in your rear suspension and the pump literally pumped itself to death. I would definitely have the air bags checked before shelling out for a new pump only to have it happen again. Good luck!
  • I bought a 2006 Eddie Bauer Expedition back in 07'. Surprisingly it didn't come with Air Ride Suspension. I've searched quite a few websites that sell air suspension kits, but its hard to find one specific to my year vehicle; meaning, their air suspension kits stop at 02' models. I know that one exists for my year vehicle, but if anyone knows a website who's air suspension kits cater to my specific vehicle, I'd sing at your next birthday party, lol.
  • I have a 99 Expedition that has an air ride suspension. Everything seems to work fine except for the rear drivers side. It does not seem to lift up as high as the other side. It was just recently at the ford dealership to be put on the computer to check another problem and they said nothing about the suspension. Does anyone know if they can be individually adjusted somehow or will it need replaced?
  • I have a 2000 Expedition and the pump kicks on when I start it and while I am driving it. Could there be a leak at the pump or bag? Can I repair it?
  • I have an Expedition with a similar problem. My suspension does not have any leaks but, the compressor runs until the ride height is correct and then deflates all day. I've been told by a Ford tech (off the record), that there may not be anything wrong with out susp. syst. And, that all we need to do is "reset" the switch or something to that effect.
    Also, I found out that Strutmasters offers a coil over conversion kit that is only $200 and replaces the air bags with coil over springs. If I can't figure out how to reset the system, I will buy and install the conversion kit.

A side note: DON"T BUY A FORD EXPEDITION THEY'RE A HUGE WASTE OF MONEY!
  • I have a 2000 expedition 5.4 v8 4x4, the rear is nearly sitting on the tires and arter inspecting I have come to find that the air dryer is cracked and seperated from the compressor. My question is should I just replace the dryer and compressor or should I replace the air bags as well.
  • bluejackbluejack Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer that the air ride will completly deflate for no reason, after starting and driving it a few yards it will return to ride height. The compressor runs at the initial start and a few times after. It will set for several days and stay inflated,and then in only a few hours it will be deflated. My question is what is this TBS sensor discussed in another forum and where is the load leveling sensor located.
  • jamie31jamie31 Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 expo that is doing the same thing was it the height sensor or do you know yet.(you can buy that sensor at http://www.suncoreindustries.com/english-ford-expedition-97-02-air-suspension.ht- ml
  • I have a 2000 Ford Expedition with air ride suspension and it seems that the load or height level sensor kiscks in and oujt at various times. Is there any way to calibrate that unit or does that part have to be removed and replaced?? If so where can I find instructions on how to get this accomplished once a used replacement part has been located and purchased? THanks for any light you can shed on this problem
  • i want some tips on what is going on and what can i do for the air suspension.
  • I have reviewed the suggestions about the Air Suspension System. I do have an additional question. Is this system associated with any fuses, if so where is it located and what is the name/size of the fuse.
  • expjbexpjb Posts: 1
    We could hear the air escaping from the suspension at the rear of the truck for sometime and after a night of sitting on the driveway like many other contiributors it looked like a low rider. The compressor would come on from time to time and was not troublesome. We loaded up the truck for a camping trip recently and the compressor was working overtime and ended up sounding like a harley motorcycle is under one of the front wheel arches and remains like that. The back end still raises and the ride is ok all be it embarassing.
    My questions are:
    Is the compressor shot?
    Are the back end airbags for the suspension independent for each wheel?
    How long is it OK to drive it like this?
    Can the compressor be relplaced by a novice (me) I can see it?
    Do you have to replace the airbags?
    Anyone have any idea how much would it cost to have the compressor replaced along with the airbag (a delership or a shop like midas)

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help with information
  • mabe one of your air pockets have a hole in it
  • My problem seems to have slowly progressed.At first I would have to wiggle the wire to the switch under the passenger front fender for it to kick on the pump and it would be fine.Now it will kick on the pump for about ten seconds and the rear raises maybe 1/4 inch and still looks like its sittin on the tires.....any suggestions pls?
  • This may work for some of you having air ride suspension problems. It has worked for me for the last few years on my '97 Exp EB. I had the compressor and relay go out multiple times. Every time one went, the other did too...when one burns out it burns the other out (or at least I was told). And every time I had repairs done (to the tune of $1000 plus each time) I wound up having one or the other part replaced a second or even a third time within a 30 day window. So clearly this is a messed up system. In desperation I pleaded with service guy at the dealer to fix it once and for all. His solution... turn off the system after the air bags are pumped up. There is a switch on the passenger side under the dash. The air bags will hold the air pretty well when the system is turned off - better than when the system is turned on. When you turn the system off, the check suspension light will come on and stay on (I just live with it). A couple of times a year I turn the system on when I am going to be driving around town. The compressor will usually come on within twenty minutes and pump up the airbags. When it is done I stop and turn the system off and I am good to go for another six months. I have been doing this for four years now and while it is not ideal, it works for me and I have not had to put more money into this terrible system. I have 250K miles on this car and other than the suspension it has been a pretty good vehicle. Hopes this helps others! :)
  • i have a 97 ford expedition sitting on its tires practically... i know alittle bit about the system but not enough to fix it.....but my question is im not getting no power to the compressor,so i went and got a new relay from the dealer and still no power,but the compressor works if i jump it with a jump pack.....can anybody help me figure this out..i know i had a leak from the sensor that was on the frame rail so i changed that as well.....just no power and a very uncomfortable ride for my pregnant wife...Please Help....
  • Possible short term patch - if you can jump the compressor and get the air bags to pump up, then turn off the suspension system. There is a switch under the dash on the passenger side to turn off the suspension system. You will get an instrument light that says "check suspension", which I ignore. The air bags should stay pumped for a while - I do this twice a year, so the rear bags stay pumped for six months. This way I do not burn out the relay or compressor. Hope this helps you - a little inconvenient but cheap, and it works for me - been doing it for four years.
  • yeah i know where the switch is....but even when i jumped the compressor it still didnt pump up....but im pretty sure the sensor which had a crack in it also had alot to do with the air leaking out.....but as soon as i get them pumped up i defin will turn the switch off.....
  • I own a 2000 eb expedition. my problem is the air bags deflating.when it is drove to work or anywhere it airs up but comp is constantly turning on and off. it can sit in driveway all night and stays up then all at once it drops to the ground until truck is started. now it seems it drops to the ground everytime truck is stopped for more than an hour.i know one airbag has a pinhole leak but something else is releasing the air all at once. i'm at my wits end. any ideas,suggestions? somekind of valve maybe?
  • az83az83 Posts: 1
    I been struggling with this darn air suspension also. After I had to drive from La. to San Diego on broken bags I replaced everything from sensors to bags. Now bothers me that every time I turn the truck of the driver side deflates a bit more than the passenger. Then self levels when car starts. That bugs the ish out of me and I don't now if the yahoos who installed it did it right or is there a leak. if I am parked level shouldn't the air bags on both sides deflate the same amount. Can any one clarify.
  • Replace the rear air bags with coil springs. You do not need the kit from strutmasters, go to your local car quest and get part number cch cc80841 and a new set of shocks. Just did mine and it was less than 150.00. It now rides great, and i never have to worry about the air ride again. It even tells you how to get rid of the check suspension light. Good luck!
  • i think my load level switch is going out and i'm looking for a set of bags. anyone know where to start looking for these items? are they expensive? thanks. :)