Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Air Ride Suspension

Comments

• Im having the same problem. Is yours a 2wd or 4wd? cause when i call about that particular part number they say thats the 2wd spring and i have a 4wd EB.
  • I am experiencing the same problem. I went to ford and talked to them about all the replacement parts. I am a do it yourselfer and according to what I found the only way to match what you nend perfectly is the vin number. I also found out that a compressor from ford is $586, air springs are $283, a relay is $153. I myself can not afford to pay that much. So I went Arnott Inc. and talked with them about a replacement kit that was less that the compressor alone. I have heard that a conversion kit to springs is good to. The one that I thought would work the best was out of my price range so therefore I went this route hoping to get another Five years out of my 1998 Ford Expedition (EB) 4x4. So I got my parts and now have comensed to putting them in and ran into a problem that I hope I can get some help. The compressor came out easy and changed out easy. The airbags are the troublesome part. I got the bottom off and the retainer clip off and the selinod loose but touches the frame of the car. My next issue is to get the carter key out so that I can drop the air bag out and replace it with a new one. The airbags are new to me and therefore have not learned how to get them out.
  • I am need some pointers on where and how to remove the carter key holding the top of the airbag in on my expedition. I have dettached the botom and taken the retaining clip off the sileoind. According the instructions the selinoid should come right out but bottoms out at the back of the frame and I am guessing that I need to remove the cater key but do not no with what or how. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks
  • My air susp on the back of my 98 eddie bauer 4wd exp has just crapped out. The check suspension light had been on and the compressor has been noisy for some time. Sat I backed out of the 2 ft of snow we have and shortly after I noticed its sittin basically on the rear end now. Rather than mess with finding a needle in a hay stack I am considering changing the system over to a conventional spring/strut system. The rear end is pretty strait forward but I assume you change the front over as well? Next question is where is a good place to get a air suspension replacement system from and how much hassle is the front to change over? Thanks
  • it took me some time to figure that thing out too but all I do is shimmy my hands to either side of the key and pull together. I also have long skinny fingers so maybe some needle nose pliers would work also?
  • I read several posts and someone claimed that car quest cch-cc80841 would replace the bags to coils. my questions are

does the vehicle sit high or low? I prefer higher then lower
    when I called carquest they will not guarentee they will fit. Any solutions or ideas. Strutmaster is a rip off, there must be a better way

btown77@optonline.net
  • I have a 97 If you replace the rear bags with springs do you have to do the front at the same time or can the system be split ? Also I tow a lot and does this spring system affect towing load? FYI I live and tow at high altitude and find my Expedition performs much better on premium gas.
  • I'm a poor self fixer I need a good cheep manuel on ford truck suv is there such a thing
  • Chilton and Haynes both have them.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,587
    Sometimes you can find good stuff online. My library has an online repair manual for free.

Online Repair Manuals

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• '97 EB 4X4. Wife pulling out of parking lot when the rear suddenly drops I haven't gotten under the rear yet (dark). Compressor fine, and front half works well. What is the most frequent cause of this? Is it the air bags themselves, or could it be something else? Are both rear wheels on the same circuit, or are they inflated separately? Any suggestions on where to look is appreciated. If it is the air bag, how easy/hard to replace, and has anyone had it done at an independent shop (cost?)? I've done plenty of work on other cars; don't like working on this and don't have the time (unless it is a simple 1-2 hour job).

Thanks in advance.
  • I have a 1997 ford expedition and have repaired this problem my self 3 times if the truck goes low in the rear it has a leak in the lines or in the shock most of the time its the shock the pump should not come on all the time you can check it .Just go on the right side of your truck and turn off the pump if the truck gets low in the rear after a few days its a leak.
    and it will burn the pump ouuutttt! pump is about 250 300 dont wanna keep doing that.
  • ARE YOU SURE THE COMPRESSORS FINE ? CAN YOU HERE IT COME ON?
  • barluc99barluc99 Posts: 4
    saved myself the hassle and replaced with conventional springs and new shocks. I did have access to a lift and air tools.......was down and out in an hr and a half.
  • HELLO I HAVE A 1997 FORD EXPO AND I HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH THE TRUCK GOING LOW IN THE REAR SO MANY TIMES I AM AN EXPERT AT FIXING IT MY SELF . IF YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM LET ME TELL A QUICK CHECK GO ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF YOUR TRUCK FLOOR PANEL YOU WILL SEE A SWITCH TURN IT OF A CHECK SUSPENSION LIGHT WILL COME ON ON YOUR DASH LEAVE IT OFF FOR ABOUT A DAY OR SO IF THE TRUCK GOES LOW IT HAS A LEAK FIX IT FAST OR IT WILL BURN THE PUMP OUT .. PUMP IS 250 300 DONT WANNA KEEP DOING THAT....
  • DOES IT RIDE DIFFERENT?
  • Richard,

It ended up being the right rear air bag. Plastic top blew out. Got a new one and it works fine now. There is a small leak somewhere because if I leave the system off, in a day or so it starts to get a little low in the rear. But for now I'll just leave it off and turn in on every few days until I get time to try to search out the leak.

Thanks for your help.
  • Rides exactly the same. I only replaced the bad one, and no problem (only concern was that the Firestone part number was different than the original and it was constructed slightly differently. However, it fit just like the original. I got the air bag through a dealer back east that discounts parts. With 2nd day air it was still about $50 less than what the local dealers wanted here (No. Cal).

I've replaced the compressor once. Got a refurbished one and it works great.
  • :surprise: LEAVE THE SWITCH OFF AND TURN IT ON WHEN YOU NEED LOAD LEVELING
  • Exactly what I'm doing now. Only turn it on when needed or if it gets low ((I think there is a slow leak somewhere). But better than a new pump, refurbished or not! Thanks for the help!
  • hah123hah123 Posts: 1
    after shutting truck off compressor kept coming on and shaking, changed it and still does same thing. what else could it be?
  • If the pump is still comin on check the wireing under the right fender maybe water damage or you may still have a leak .pump should shake some make sure you bolt it on with the rubber boots you wont hear it so much
  • The rear is sitting on the tires. I took it to 2 shops for them to tell me it was both the compressor and relay. Luckily I bought both on Ebay for a fraction of what it would cost to get replaced at the shop. I installed the newer compressor and relay and nothng happened. But if I hook the compressor directly to the battery it kicks on and only fills the front air suspension. I also took apart the original compressor, cleaned it and put it back together. I hooked that to the battery and that works too. Now I have 2 compressors and 2 relays. I've tried different combinations (new compressor old relay, old comprssor new relay, etc) and nothing is happening. I've checked fuses and all seem to be in working order. I can't figure out why the compressor wont come on after its installed. Why when its hooked directly to the battery only fills the front. Any ideas would be greatly apprciated!!! PLEASE HELP!!!
  • ok . hi I hope you found the problem . if not heres goes. first things first if it is still not working you probably had a small problem and made it a big one try looking under the right fender look for the feed wire to the compressor .it is probably old and rusty make sure that all connection are in good shape then look at the two hose lines that are connected to the pump follow them checking for leaks sounds like your not connectin them right .
  • Thanks, All connections are good. I cant check for leaks because the compressor wont kick on. How about solenoids or ride height sensors? Could any of those have anything to do with my problem?
  • s2kneons2kneon Posts: 3
    This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I've been researching this all week to see if I could use an OEM setup vs a so called "conversion kit".

RockAuto and Amazon both have the Moog CC80841 for $85/pr, and Monroe SensaTracks for $35~/each. Seems way cheaper than a conversion kit, but maybe too good to be true???

Has anyone else converted this way? Please let me know before I take the plunge and find out for myself.

My only concern is the kit from SunCore shows some rubber isolators/insulators, whatever you want to call them. Do the other kits have this?

link title
  • barluc99barluc99 Posts: 4
    I got the conversion kit for the rear from strut master.com and it was as easy as they said but recommend doin it on a lift which i had access too.
  • troundatrounda Posts: 5
    back end is almost on the tires,compressor isnt coming on, could anyone tell me where the relay is for this circuit?
  • i have a 2000 ford expedtion eb thats all i need is springs and new shocks nothing else no plates just sits in there please reply my wife is pg and hard drive the truck like that thanks