Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fight for recall of CVT for Nissan Rogues and the like

Comments

• Erik,
    That is correct. The tech said when they do these replacements on Rogues they are sent factory rebuilt transmissions from Nissan, not brand new ones. Although according to the service manager they are just as good as brand new ones.
  • Where would you find a new transmission for a 5-6 year old car?

New transmission parts... but, no new transmissions... Every manufacturer rebuilds transmissions, once that model is no longer being produced..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Thanks KYFDX, that makes sense....thanks for being a mod here, it really helps. i have a situation that i would like to get your advice on.

in your opinion, do you think they could have screwed up something with the install of the 2nd or rebuilt CVT ??

i had this 2008 Nissan Rogue SLAWD for 9 days before i took it into the dealership. the only concern i had was i had just bought it off someone and they only did oil changes and new air filters for 5 years. there was only 42,000 miles on it. i wanted to get it tuned up because of the history AND -- it was whistling on the highway at 50 60 70 mph when i hit the gas pedal, that is all. it wasn't vibrating or anything of the sort.

the dealership told me i needed new front and back brakes and new front and back rotors. also a new timing belt. and a 45K service. i didnt want to start off on the wrong foot with them, so I just ate the cost for $1688 in repairs. the dealership confirmed the whistling noise and told me about the 10 year or 120,000 mile CVT warranty and that i needed a new CVT, that there was a hole in the "fuel pump" of the CVT, so they were just going to replace the whole CVT.

so i get it back and the whistling on the highway is gone, no more... but as soon as i pulled out of the lot, from 5-35 mph 1000-2000 RPMs, the car vibrated like crazy. i took it back and the service manager and tech that worked on it went for a ride with me. they confirmed the new vibrations at the low speeds and then told me that was normal.... wait a minute... how is that normal when i had the car for 9 days and it did not vibrate whatsoever at all?? this was a non-issue before...

they since have called me back and said to come down and they reset the ECM in the engine and that that TCM was fine (i dont know what that is) and they stated that what i was sensing was "Fuel Economy Droning" which it explained was a groaning/gurgling noise when i pressed the accelerator. sure i heard the groaning "Fuel Economy Droning" but that wasn't what i was talking about -- i'm talking about the new vibrations they had caused by replacing the CVT -- i could care less about any low noise droning. they since have told me it is all normal, and there is nothing more they can do.

so i called Nissan Consumer Affairs and explained the situation. i have a "higher-up" from Nissan Consumer Affairs calling me back tomorrow.

how would you handle this situation? i am very new to cars, especially this CVT and the Nissan stuff, but honestly, there was no vibration whatsoever before, it is so evident now, that my wife doesn't even feel comfortable driving it. i bought it for her, especially because we have a 14-month old baby girl and my wife wanted a crossover.

i would really appreciate some feedback on this. i feel like i was taken advantage of at the dealership and i did all the repairs they suggested in good faith. i had no idea i would be facing this sort of problem. should i get a another CVT replacement? could it have been defectively manufactured or installed wrong at the dealership?

any advice on how to handle this would really help. i just have a pit in my stomach from the whole experience. i mean everyone at the dealership was nice, saying the same thing, had great customer service, but i felt it was some big cover-up or something... its just not making sense.

thanks, erik :)
  • I'm not much of a mechanic... but, I can answer your first question..

"in your opinion, do you think they could have screwed up something with the install of the 2nd or rebuilt CVT ?? "

Absolutely.. it's even possible the rebuilt unit has issues.. Hopefully Nissan Consumer Affairs can help you out... Good luck with it..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Thanks Man! that will help in conversation with Corporate today :)
  • erikb717erikb717 Posts: 9
    edited September 2013
    hey everybody,

so now Nissan Consumer Affairs is making me bring my 2008 Rogue to another Dealership's Service Manager for a test ride to confirm this shaking in my CVT is not normal.

well -- another service manager told me it was completely normal (see above) and that it was just Fuel Economy Droning -- not true.

i feel like im going up against the world with this! its crazy. i had the car for 9 days -- no shaking or vibration at all ---- just whistling with acceleration, now i get it back from the one dealership, all the sudden i have a vibration problem from 5-35 mph.

i need to have their Service Manager confirm that diagnostically it has a problem, THEN Consumer Affairs will make the original dealership put in another replacement CVT??

how do i get around this?? they are just going to lie at the 2nd dealership's service dept?? how would their diagnostics be any different than the 1st dealership?

is there any way to make consumer affairs give me a new CVT?? it is under warranty for the 10 year - 120,000 mile transmission. i know its the CVT, i got a bum one and its been vibrating since they put it in 2 weeks ago, the orignal CVT never did this ...

any ideas or thoughts?? thanks.
  • Erik,
    Good luck to you. After my dealer refused to replacement the replacement transmission, claiming instead I had rotor problems and a bad alternator; I took the car to two independent mechanics. Both of which I have used before and both of which stood to make money on replacing the rotors or the alternator had they been in bad shape. They BOTH said there is nothing wrong with my alternator and that my rotors have no hot spots and don't need to be turned. They both agreed my car has terrible vibrations and neither one of them could point to anything that may be causing the problem. This ALL started within 2 weeks of getting the new transmission. I am in the process of getting written statement from both independent mechanics and I will then be calling Nissan Consumer Affairs to open a case against the dealer.
  • Erik,
    Welcome to the world of denial con Nissan. They are so determined to wish that the rogues do not have consistent transmission problems that they replace them once, then claim that there is nothing wrong with the replacements. I finally gave up the ghost and traded mine in for a Chevy equinox. I lost $5000 in that deal.
  • this all sounds lovely....

I feel like emailing Nissan Consumer Affairs a link to this thread, so they can see we all know what's going on.

It's like the emperor's new clothes... they all refuse to state the obvious... there is a problem with the CVT.

People who invested their money in buying one should be given compensation or an upgrade to a car of equal value for a trade in, but once they admit they have the problem (5 people have driven my car and said these vibrations are a major problem and noticeable) they have to replace EVERYBODY'S Rogue...

and that would be a class action lawsuit... the likes of which could cause catastrophic financial difficulty. And damage the brand, so they try to sweep it under the rug...

eventually something will give way, and they'll be forced to deal with this problem.
  • vitalsigns34vitalsigns34 Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    I bought an 08 Nissan Rouge less then 2 months ago. It worked fine, I had it about 3 weeks and then some woman backed into it while I was sitting in my office at work.
    I had to drive around with it for a week with a dent waiting for my insurance to get it straightened out and so I could bring it into a collision center.

I got it back after a week at the collision center getting fixed and then it started making noises. Loud when accelerating, when I started it up, the coolant gauge would start with none and slowly fill up. It started stuttering as well on the highway.
    I took it into a Nissan Dealership a few days later. They're telling me the water pump was cracked and coolant leaked into the CVT. Ruined the CVT and now I have to pay to have the pump replaced, and the CVT replaced. The CVT doesn't fall under warranty to 10 year warranty because it was the apparently the water Pump breaking that caused the CVT to fail.

I just paid $12,000 for this car, driven it about 4 weeks/ 4,000 km's total in the 2 month's I've had it, if that, and now I have to pay another $6,000 to get it fixed. Nissan Canada wont do anything, because they claim it could be because of the accident. The mechanic said it was not from impact.
  • I agree. I purchased a 2012 Nissan Rogue Special Edition. I currently have about 60,000 as I commute daily to my work in the Bay Area. The last couple of months I noticed that I was having acceleration problems. When I was on I5 on my way to Sacramento I noticed the acceleration was really dragging and I pulled over at the next exit. When I took my vehicle to a local dealership I received the same diagnosis that possibly my transmission is going out and it is currently on order. I felt that my vehicle is too new and even at close to 60,000 that there shouldn't be problems with the transmission. There needs to be a recall of the vehicle because of CVT problems. Keep me in the loop as I am ready to provide my input.
  • anybody got any action on this yet?? i called Nissan consumer affairs -- and I'm going to the "independent" Nissan dealership on THursday to have their service manager see if the vibration is normal. its not, i brought it in for a tune up and got it back in worse condition than when i dropped it off, i wish i had never taken it in??

Are they going to scam me?? are they going to say, these vibrations are normal?

if anybody knows, is there a range of acceptable vibrating?? like units?? 2in/cm or some measurement??? i want to ask them what the vibrating came back as and where does it say that is acceptable....

this all makes me sick, like one big cover up, i want to trade this is and get my wife and baby daughter a reliable crossover... how much could i get for a silver 2008 SLAWD all the bells and whistles???

help!
  • Hi all! Reading this makes me a little worried. i have a 08 Rogue we purchased new in 08, has 240,000 miles on it, and has been, regretably "dogged" in its use. We haven't had an ounce of issue out of it besides the rapid deceleration engine "flutter" when we make a suddent stop. We're getting 100,000 miles on the tires, have good wear on the brakes, had to replace a belt which was horrid to get it but we managed it. However, my little skateboard has decided to misbehave lately. We thought it might be in the wheel bearings but they weren't loose since the road noise picked up on the driver's side. However it started vibrating on some turns, and indescrimately on starts. Now we think it may be the CVT having issues. We were just looking at purchasing the '14 since we've had such good luck with this one but now I'm worried that I'm only beginning to have issues with my little skateboard and might be asking for nightmares with a new model.

We called Nissan about obtaining a factory reman CVT for it, but the person answering was less than helpful, and dealers are closed mouth about them. They refuse to tell you about parts and just want to "look at it". I don't really want some minimum wage paid dealer tech crawling through my car looking for things to fix, I just want a "real" answer. I get the impression dealer service centers are "slimy b***tards"

So if you are able to force a recall I am all for it.

*Presently happy and terrified* 08 Owner
  • Wow, I didn't think anybody had more miles on an '08 Rogue than we did. We were wrong ;) We only have 175,500 and last night it stopped moving on the way home. It's not the engine, it runs fine, but it's like the clutch is gone on an old manual transmission. It won't go into any gear, no 'clunk' when you go from park to reverse or drive. After reading all these posts about the "vibration" problems people have had, we never had that until just before it went out of gear and stopped rolling. :p We have dearly loved this Rogue and taken meticulous mechanical care of it. We had planned to trade it in on a newer used Rogue. Good luck to us all! *sigh*
  • http://www.nissanproblems.com/tsbs/Rogue/2009/

I am sure most people have seen, but if not this is the document that acknowledges the transmission failure.
  • I live in Alaska and I have an '08 Rogue with 108K miles. It stopped moving on my wife on Monday. The dealership called today and said that it was the transmission and that it was covered under a recall. He stated that it had to have less than 120k miles to be covered. I had never received anything about a recall, but glad it went out on me when it did. I don't think they are advertising it because of the cost to replace them all, and they are hoping you will reach the 120k miles before it breaks. We just got lucky. This has been the worst car, I have ever owned. I have had to have the steering column replaced twice, the hubs and bearings in the front went out at 90K miles. Good luck to everyone, I hope you get some satisfaction.
  • Could you get your dealer to give you some info that is guiding them on recall?
    thx
  • TORQUE CONVERTER LOCKUP VIBRATION by erikb717
    Nov 14, 2013 (5:28 am)

----- WELL, I TOOK MINE IN -------

and the answer they gave me was your CVT is experiencing TORQUE CONVERTER LOCKUP

since the CVT has no gears,
    it will sometimes VIBRATE in between what is supposed to be 1st and 2nd gear (1-1.5 RPMs)

nothing we can do !!! they said.

WTF, before i had the CVT replaced it wasn't vibrating at all!! now with the replacement CVT, you cant even drive it 0-40, it shakes like an '82 DATSUN !!!

they said some CVT replacements are well built and wont vibrate, but some will and if the car runs fine, we can't get you another CVT under warranty !!!

seriously???? everyone who has driven my car said this is totally unacceptable....

NISSAN SUCKS SO BAD. basically its a manufacturers defect, in order to make the car more fuel efficient, they went with the CVT transmission instead of a standard one with gears. they didn't anticipate this vibration in 1/2 of the Rogues to be so bad.

so the really bad CVTs are in the 2008, 2009 and 2010 Rogues
    newer "3-Step" CVTs are in the 2011, 2012 and 2013 and are a little more quiet.

even the service manager at the different dealership i went to told me she traded in her 2012 Rogue already because she couldn't stand the vibrations!!!

COME ON NISSAN DO SOMETHING!!

is there anything i can do to help lessen "Torque Converter Lockup"??? or should i force them into giving me a 2nd CVT??? that doesn't vibrate??? they said they can't cause the CVT is performing what its supposed to and not to worry about the vibrations, that i would get used to it !!
  • I am an insurance agent and drive A LOT!! I have had 5 Subaru's and have NEVER had any major repair costs. In Oct. 2012 my transmission blew and I found out that there was a recall (Nissan never notified me that there was a recall). If I would have known there was a recall, I would have taken my car in for service. By the time the transmission (CVT) BLEW UP I was 5,000 miles over the warranty extension and had to pay $3,800.00 for a new transmission. Nissan would not stand by their product (even though they know it is a hunk of junk)!!!! Two days ago my rear end blew up and now Nissan wants another $2,600.00 to replace it. WOW!! $6,600.00 in one year into a 2008 Nissan. I hired an attorney today. I have never felt so taken advantage of and will tell EVERYBODY I KNOW what a hunk of junk Nissans are and to NEVER buy one. VERY DISGRUNTLED ONE TIME NISSAN OWNER.
  • I have never owned anything but a Nissan (I have had 2 Altima's, a Murano, a Pathfinder and now a Rouge). I can honestly say that after the issue I have had with my 2009 Rogue and it's faulty transmission I WILL NEVER PURCHASE A NISSAN AGAIN and encourage others to do the same. My pedal just stopped accelerating the other day when I was 100 feet from getting on the highway in Boston. Thankfully I was (barely) able to get my car off to the side before I entered the highway or I may not be alive to type this. After over an hour stranded on the side of the road AAA came and towed my car to a nearby mechanics. After $130 diagnostic fee the mechanic concluded my transmission needed replacing. I AM lucky in the fact that this mechanic took pity on a broke graduate student and researched this a bit. He informed me that my new transmission would be covered under the extended warranty Nissan had extend due to the fact that THEY MANUFACTURED FAULTY TRANSMISSIONS. Nice to know. I then had to arrange my car to be towed to a Nissan dealership to be fixed. The locations around me had 2-3 week waits on average. I finally found a Nissan location relatively close that said they could do it (it just arrived there today, I'm sure they'll try to come up with a reason as to why it shouldn't be covered). This has taken HOURS of my time & energy in the last 5 days not to mention the HUNDREDS of dollars spent on towing (AAA only covered within a 3 mile radius), rental car fees, diagnostic work at the FIRST mechanic and additional parking permits I have to obtain and purchase so that my rental isn't ticketed in my permit-parking only neighborhood. I'm unsure as to WHY Nissan never felt compelled to recall these faulty transmissions. I was feet away from a disaster and now hundreds of dollars in the hole because of THEIR mistakes. NEVER AGAIN.