Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fight for recall of CVT for Nissan Rogues and the like

Comments

• richo3richo3 Posts: 1
    I had a very similar situation in Boston over the weekend. My 2010 Rogue was running fine - mileage is just over 4000 miles. Went to pull out into heavy traffic at rush hour and car would hardly move - crawled. Got to the nearby hotel destination and had to enter a garage - uphill ramp. Vehicle still would not accelerate more than a few MPH in D or L even though the accelerator was to the floor. I also checked all the settings and everything was normal. Tried Reverse and same story - full gas and a few MPH. Backed down the ramp, parked it and called AAA for a tow - after a few hours (AAA not available) started it up to take it to nearby dealership and it was fine. Has not done it since. Boston dealer had never heard of this problem and there were no codes to explain it. My local dealer in VT never heard of it either. Although both said it's probably going to happen again if it happened once. I'll follow up. Please spread the word. Dangerous !!!
  • Nissan should learn from Toyota who exceeds them in excellence ,no company is too big to take down....consumers just need to stick together and fight for their rights ...nissan needs to fix their junk....they used to be something but now build junk!
    I wont buy another...
  • hvncarhvncar Posts: 1
    We have the same problem with our newly bought 2010 Rogue. We were driving in the mountains, between Denver and Las Vegas, when the car just suddenly stalled without any warning and we had to pull over onto the shoulder of the road. After spending about an hour on the shoulder, it would resume driving normally. This is our first time owning a Nissan and it broke down within the first 3000 miles.
  • Hello,
    I also had this problem and brought my 2010 Rogue to Kelly Nissan in Lynnefield. They said they were unaware of this as an issue. Which dealership did you take yours to in Boston?

Was this ever resolved?

-Jon Kaskey
  • http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-autos-complaints-20101225,0,7649400.story

Thought this might be of interest, since some of the material for the story was based on complaints found in these forums.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jc2010jc2010 Posts: 31
    Funny...I also brought mine to Lynnfield and spoke to a Robert O'Neil. This was back in August I think. You can't trust the dealers. They blow alot of smoke. the address is 275 broadway in lynnfield. It was resolved but in NY. I got on the phone with corporate after getting the run around from consumer relations of Nissan. The dealer wouldn't make a move until consumer relations contacted them. They weren't contacting the dealer or me so we were w/o a car for about 3 days. Anyway, when I got hold of corporate, this woman got the ball rolling. They had a tech from headquarters go to the dealer and test drive the car and check it out. They found a bad transmission. W/in about a week or two...i forget...we had a new transmission. I felt a huge difference with this transmission. There is pick up like the other never had. We have almost 3K miles on it since this happened...and knock on wood, so far so good. I'm still a little leary, but hoping that fiasco is over. Let me know what happens and if you nee anything else, let me know. I can give you the # for corporate if you need it.
  • skleymanskleyman Posts: 1
    I'm in Maryland
    I do have the same problem since I got a new 2010 Nissan Rogue.
    After a couple hours on highway 65-75 MPH if I had to pull over or stop the car will not go back to ride even I was pushing a gas pedal. It doesn't go forward or back. This happen all the time when we're in long trip. The dealer can't find problems. I've call Nissan multiple times they opened cases asked me to bring the car to the dealer and nothing done. In round trip Florida we almost had a 3 accidents becouse of this problem.
  • 2009rogue2009rogue Posts: 2
    I bought this car used with 40,000. . . use to be apart of a fleet for Hertz. No problems yet, but I did buy a 100,000 mile warrantee just in case????
  • I am in Lexington, NC and the dealer we purchased our 2010 Rogue from is Vann York Nissan in High Point, NC. I have just returned from the dealership where they are looking into this same problem... AGAIN. Late last year (2010) we had the transmission replaced because we were experiencing the same problem. My wife and son were out of town on vacation and she had to go to the closest Nissan dealership which delayed her return home three days. This is a very dangerous issue. When she tried to merge into interstate traffic the car simply did not respond, and likewise exiting the interstate attempting to accelerate from a stop, the same thing happened.
    As I stated, currently my vehicle is at the service department of the dealership we purchased it from because the identical problem has returned. I was returning from Florida this past weekend, and attempted to accelerate when the vehicle completely failed to respond. I am in the process of trying to contact the owner of the dealership and see how he would like to handle the situation. I am going to request a completely different vehicle as my wife is scared to death to drive the vehicle at this point.
    If anyone has any suggestions or questions, feel free to contact me. I will be posting how the dealership responds.
  • danitadanita Posts: 3
    I bought my 09 Nissan Rogue only three months ago. On my way from Los Angeles to Las Vegas I also experienced problems with the transmission. I could not accelerate up the hills on HWY 15 and had to drive in the truck lane. It was very scary because cars were traveling anywhere from 65 to 90 miles per hour and I had to hurry to move from the fast lane to the truck lane. My Rogue would not accelerate over 20 miles per hour. I took it into the Nissan dealer in Las Vegas and it is going to take them three weeks to get a new transmission. The bad part about it is the day before I left for Las Vegas I took it to the dealer and they changed the oils and performed an inspection. They stated that the car was in perfect condition, minus a need to change the battery. WOW!
    If possible can you contact me and let me know what the solution to your problem was. I am currently experiencing the same thing.

Danita
    denitamallet@yahoo.com
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,986
    Please don't ask for "personal" help via email. We all benefit when a problem is discussed on the open forum. Thanks.
    Sorry Steve, I am sure they will post the outcome for everyone, I just needed some assistance because my car is currently in the shop. Didn't mean to offend anyone. Thanks for the advice.
    Now have our Rogue since April 2010. Had our transmission replaced in August after a trip to Maine...on the way home got stuck. This year, driving 3.5 hours to Wildwood NJ, the same thing happens...after 10,000 miles with the new transmission. Stuck in traffic after moving fine, we try to accelerate and nothing. This is so ridiculous. I'm contacting corporate again. We really need to ban together here and get out a petition or something. There really needs to be a recall on these transmissions. Something needs to be done. I'm going to, for now, use my facebook page as a way to pass the word out to people asking them to post what i post on their page. This will be one way to get the word out to others when they're thinking about buying a Nissan. I am going to look into the better business burea...maybe even the NY taxi commission or whatever they're called. They're supposed to be having Nissan provide them cabs in the upcoming years. I'm going to tell them to think twice. I don't know...I just don't know what else to do here. Anybody create a petition before????
  • kgbatlkgbatl Posts: 10
    edited August 2011
    We had a problem driving our Rogue from North Carolina to Georgia with the transmission on the hills. We were sev eral hours into the trip and I could not accelerate on the hills. It was very dangerous as we kept losing speed on the hills and tractor trailor trucks were barreling down behind us. We finally exited and pulled into a Nissan Dealer. They said they have had issues with the transmission going into safety mode. They tested it and said they could not find anything wrong with it and recommended we do further testing in Atlanta. Apparently shutting off the car fixes the safety mode issue. The car drove ok the rest of the way home but if this is a continuous problem there is no way that we can take this car on long trips. I noticed that I could not accelerate on the hills on the way to NC but it was not nearly as bad as on the way back.
    I don't know if I agree with this "safety mode" thing they're telling you. Reason is, and maybe your situation is different, turning the car off did not help our problem. We have to sit for at least 20 minutes for it to move again and when it finally does move, you can feel that the pick up is not there as it was previously. It sort of drags when you're trying to accelerate. I don't trust anyone at Nissan. I think the CVT is just a piece of crap and they haven't rectified it and know they can't rectify it. This problem seems to have been existing for a very long car. My last episode was a year ago so the problem persists. If they saw an end in site to this problem they would never have extended the warranty on it...and added towing. I just don't understand how this issue hasn't been put up for recall yet. It's ridiculous and if they're waiting for someone to get seriously hurt...it will happen. They've been lucky thus far. To be doing this to their buyers is so sad. I will never buy another Nissan for as long as I live and will be trying to trade this one in soon. I don't want to continue paying my payments on something I didn't pay for. It's a waste of money!!! Hard earned money in these times of hardship for sure.
    Just got back from the dealer. They're going to replace the valve body. I think they'll replace this and the next long trip I go on, the problem will be back. And the bad part is, I won't know anything is wrong with it until I go on a long trip. I'm thinking about trading this piece of crap in. I have a call out to the National Highway Safety Agency to file a complaint. I've had it. Nissan really needs to get their crap together!!
  • testagmtestagm Posts: 7
    I've been seeing some more posts recentely and was just curious if you've had any more issues with your vehicle since last year. As for me, after nagging Nissan's Arbitration deparment, the dealership agreed to give me a new transmission last August. They gave me a loaner vehicle at no charge, during the near month-long wait. I have not had the problem of lack of acceleration again. The only curious issue is that about once a month, when I turn the ignition, nothing happens. It usually takes three to four attempts to get the engine to turn over.
    testagm: Yes, after 10,000 miles and just about a year, now they're telling me the valve body is defected so they are replacing that with their upgraded valve body, which apparently is not installed in some of the older CVT transmissions. The upgrade is apparently new. Who knows. You can't trust anyone. Anyway, we didn't have a problem up until this past Friday when we went on a 3 hour long car ride, on the highway. Have you driven the car on a long highway trip since they replaced your transmission? I really don't think, even when they change the valve body, that we will see a problem unless we drive it over say 2 hours on the highway. We plan on doing this soon after they change this valve body. We have one older car and this piece of junk...we bought this piece of junk for the longer rides. If I can't use it on the longer rides, than why did I buy it. The Rogue works great......when it sits in the garage. lol. Your ignition issue..did you mention it to them? That's wierd? Did it happen before they replaced your transmission and would that have anything to do with it??? I can't believe all the issues that we're having with these cars. When I tell Nissan I come onto Edmunds and read this stuff they tell me not to believe what I read....and oh....I'm supposed to believe them. People have nothing better to do but to come onto Edmunds and post about their piss poor excuse for a car...c'mon. Everyone posting is in my same shoes....why wouldn't I believe these posts over Nissan's word. I've been screwed 2wc already by Nissan. They can go to hell! I'm so disgusted with them.
  • testagmtestagm Posts: 7
    Originally in 2010, Nissan found my Rogue had a bad valve body and replaced that before putting in the new transmission. I don't blame you for not trusting them. If they know, then why aren't they doing a recall on these so-called "bad valve bodies"??? Now I guess I better have that checked again on the new transmismsion! After re-reading everyone's stories, I'm noticing the trend of failure to accelerate happening during or after long car trips. It just occurred to me that my failure to accelerate also occurred after a 4 day road trip around Minnesota, mostly highway miles. Since I live close to work, my Rogue was purchase for mostly pleasure/long trips, like you guys. However, I have not taken a trip longer than and hour and a half since the new tranny. It currently has 11,000 miles and I will be taking it for a 4 hour trip at the end of August. I feel terribly knowing a failure to accelerate could happen at any moment. I've tried to have peace of mind about it, but hearing your story sure doesn't help! Ugh.