Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fight for recall of CVT for Nissan Rogues and the like

Comments

• I'm having a similar issue with my girlfriend's 2010 Rogue. There is a vibrating/squealing sound when you accelerate to 3,000 rpm's or when the transmission downshifts up hills. It also makes the sound when you are going in reverse and have to give it some gas. Has anyone else heard a similar sound or have a similar problem? It was very noticeable and prolonged when in cruise control going up a long hill and the trannie was stuck on 3,000 rpms. Car only has 52,000 miles so its under warranty, but from what other posts have said it doesn't sound like they're very successful fixing problems with these cars.
  • To update...I had to rent a car to finish my road trip. They replaced the transmission under warranty but it took three weeks to get the part. Car seems to run fine now but I am definitely weary of driving it on any long roadtrips, especially ones with hills or climbing. I've definitely lost confidence in this car.
  • I'm at 500 miles and still don't like the engine 'labouring' at low speeds. I push the Sports mode button when I am in city traffic, RPM goes up a by few 100s.

Surprisingly my '02 accord engine with 150K which I still own is runs much smoother than the Rogue's, but I was suffering from 'fatigue' and 'needed' something new that didn't have to last as long as my Honda (still going strong).

It the Rogues takes me to 2022 and 150K before falling appart I'd quite pleased.
  • On Wednesday, March 28, 2012, I was on highway I-25 about 1 hour from home on my way to Alamosa, Colorado when my car lost acceleration. My 13 year old grandson and 14 year old niece were with me.

My car was set on cruise control at 75 MPH when suddenly the speed dropped to 45 MPH in a matter of seconds - without warning. I pushed the gas pedal down to the floor but it didn’t do anything. There was also a whining sound like the car was working extra hard. I immediately pulled off the highway; fortunately, there were no cars behind me. I was confused and didn’t know what happened so I sat there a few minutes thinking the car overheated. I thought I would give it a chance to cool down. After about 10 minutes, I put my emergency lights on and got back on the road. I kept the emergency lights on and drove slower to see if it would happen again. It seemed to be okay as long as we didn’t have to go up hill and I kept my speed down, I tested it along the way.

When I got back home, I began researching and found many complaints on 2008 and 2009 Rogue’s that had the same problem as mine. I also found Nissan’s CVT’s warranty extension. At this point I knew my car wasn’t simply overheating…but the transmission was bad.

I then scheduled my car for an inspection at Nissan. They acknowledged there was a problem with the transmission and said they believe it may be caused by to much transmission fluid, put in at the factory. They removed some of it and said that nothing else can be done; we just have to wait and see if the problem continues to exist.

A couple months went by when I discovered the problem wasn’t fixed. After the March incident, I stayed around town and didn’t venture out very far, until one day when I got back on the highway and headed towards Fraser Colorado, in the mountains. My grandson and a friend were with me. We hadn’t been on the road for long, when again, I quickly lost acceleration and the whining noise started. I put on my emergency lights and took the next exit ramp home.

At this point I was nervous, angry, and frightened…many emotions took over. All I could think of was the possibility of a dreadful accident that could have taken the life of my grandson and others. Driving at high speeds then quickly losing speed with no indication (brake lights) to the drivers behind me is without question a potentially deadly situation. Thankfully, no other vehicles were close behind me.

I scheduled another appointment with Nissan. This time they said the transmission was bad and it would have to be replaced.

In spite of a new transmission, I do not feel safer. I have read blogs from people with ’08 & ’09 Rogues that had the transmission replaced and it went out again, not always right away. I believe it is a matter of when – not if.

So now I have a dilemma, do I not get on the highway anymore, do I not go to the mountains anymore for business or pleasure, do I sell my car - giving the problem with someone else. All these are unacceptable to me. I didn’t purchase the vehicle only to use sometimes and I wouldn’t sell an unsafe vehicle to anyone knowing their lives and others are at risk.

I have contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs and requested they buy back or switch vehicles for a model that doesn’t have a history of transmission or safety problems. They refused, but offered an extended Power Train warranty. I have made it very clear to them that I don’t care about an extended warranty, just the safety of others.

I will be contacting an attorney.
  • angirnangirn Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    I bought a Nissan Sentra in 2008 with cvt transmission and at 28,000 miles it began to make whining sound. I took it in to local Nissan dealer and they told me it was tires. It then took it to tire shop and they said not tires so took back to Nissan dealer and after several hours of waiting they came back and handed me the keys and said it was cvt transmission and they could not work on it as they did not have tech. Told me I would have to get it towed to dealer I bought it from which was over 100 miles away. Finally got car towed to dealer that could fix it and they replaced transmission under warranty and told me at that time that warranty would start over. After 3 sets of tires on this car found also to have bent axle that had to be replaced and only due to my paying for extended warranty did this get fixed because i drive for work and put a lot of miles on vehicle. This year while on vacation replaced transmission stopped pulling on interstate. I had to make it to nearest place with Nissan dealership and leave car and get rental car. Nissan took three weeks to decide they would not assist in replacing transmission. It was over warranty by 6000 miles by old transmission, not replaced. To anyone driving nissan with cvt transmission I would say trade it off, because you dont know when it is going to fail and they are not going to cover the almost 4000 dollars it costs to replace it even though they know there is a problem!!!
  • Add me to the list of 2008 Rogue's whos CVT died. Another family almost killed from this faulty product. Never would have known about extended transmission warranty because I never received any notifications. I was only 1000 miles over the extended warranty of 100k but Nissan would not help because a transmission flush was done. It was done because I didn't know of the problem and was stranded so i took to nearest reliable mechanic. I drove car 15 miles from mechanic to nissan after reading of the issue with cvt. Case manger was very rude and followed the same script, "Nissan cannot help you. thats it". I've never had a company handle a defective product or complaint like this. Who in NTSB is being paid to overlook this issue. Why was there no recall on these cvt's. DO NOT BUY NISSAN EVER and this is a company that puts profits over the safety of the people that purchase their defective products. :lemon:
  • I have a 2008 rogue that has had the tyranny replaced twice (62000/92000 miles). I brought it into the dealership at 119,000 miles because the whining noise was back again. They ordered a transmission but it was on back order. Meanwhile I applied for arbitration under the lemon law. Met with a Nissan rep today who takes care of these cases and the noise was not present. It seems the airplane engine style noise which was present a few weeks ago is no longer there. I really think it has to do with the temp and load on the tranny. Over the past few weeks I have noticed the noise wasn't really present. I drive a lot and the noise was more prevalent on hot days and towards the end of the day. This was the case early on in the failures. It didn't happen over night. The symptoms started slowly and then got worse over time. We are getting colder here in New England so maybe there is a correlation with temperature. All I know is that I bought a $28000 piece of $&@/ and I will be fighting them hard to make things right. Thankfully NH has a tough Lemon Law. Good luck to all, will never buy a Nissan or car with CVT transmission again.
  • I have a 2008 rogue that has had the tyranny replaced twice (62000/92000 miles). I brought it into the dealership at 119,000 miles because the whining noise was back again. They ordered a transmission but it was on back order. Meanwhile I applied for arbitration under the lemon law. Met with a Nissan rep today who takes care of these cases and the noise was not present. It seems the airplane engine style noise which was present a few weeks ago is no longer there. I really think it has to do with the temp and load on the tranny. Over the past few weeks I have noticed the noise wasn't really present. I drive a lot and the noise was more prevalent on hot days and towards the end of the day. This was the case early on in the failures. It didn't happen over night. The symptoms started slowly and then got worse over time. We are getting colder here in New England so maybe there is a correlation with temperature. All I know is that I bought a $28000 piece of $&/ and I will be fighting them hard to make things right. Thankfully NH has a tough Lemon Law. Good luck to all, will never buy a Nissan or car with CVT transmission again.
  • So ends my Saga of the Nissan Rogue. Traded the POS in for a 2012 Equinox - 27 MPG average on a 3 day trip to Vegas from San Diego. No Transmission Problems, More Interior Room, and Her Majesty is VERY HAPPY ! ! ! :P
  • I too own a Rogue. After 1 year, the transmission was making a funny noise and was replaced. I then had a problem develop where the car wouldn't accelerate or was sluggish to accelerate. Dealership couldn't find anything wrong and sent me on my way. Over a year later I could no longer take the problem. Brought it last week and they had it for the entire week. They changed out a trans valve body. Well, after picking up my car Friday night, I detected the problem was returning over the weekend. Just now, as I was trying to merge in traffic, I had the gas pedal fully pressed down to the floorboard and it would barely go. Enough to get me killed. I have a 2 year old that I drive around with and I've had it with this pos car! I brought back in today to Nissan and told them the car was gonna kill me and my child eventually. They ran a check and now suddenly it's a problem with the antilock brakes causing the trouble. After chewing the service people out, the manager did the job free of charge. That's great and all but this problem is going to continue to persist. I'm researching vehicles now. Hoping to get enough on this crappy car to pay it off. They have got to recall these transmissions. There has to be a way to bring these problems to light!
  • van65van65 Posts: 13
    Everytime that there is an issue with a Nissan Rogue you must file a report with the NTSB. They'll get on Nissan when they know lives are in danger.
  • van65van65 Posts: 13
    Everytime that there is an issue with a Nissan Rogue you must file a report with the NTSB. They'll get on Nissan when they know lives are in danger.
  • rathanrathan Posts: 1
    I recently bought a nissan rouge 2008 and it slows down on the Free way out of no where.
    from 75 to 30 mph in like 1 second.
    It happened to me on 470 and on I-70.
    this is worst car ever I have a hyundai elantra over 150000 miles and it never gave a problem like this.
  • My 2012 nissan rogue has vibration issues,I also get grumbling sounds from the transmission. The dealer said this is normal for a rogue. I appear to be stuck with it. What started out as a pleasurable experience of buying a new car turned into a nightmare for me. I thought i could trust a name brand like nissan for a great car, guess i was just stupid.
  • I hope I'm not speaking too soon. But, I was reading these messages and I'm terrified by my readings and hope none of these things happen to me. I have a 2008 Rogue with 84K miles on it and I bought it brand new and have been the only owner/driver. I have not had any of these issues. I drive 80 miles a day (highway & city) for work and I also drive it on long trips 500 miles plus away. I can't imagine these issues are the norm. So, I hope I can give some Nissan Rogue owner's hope!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,972
    Human nature I think - people with cars that just work like they should rarely take time to post. But if you have one with problems, you seek out places to get help and to vent.

So thanks for the report!

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• kgbatlkgbatl Posts: 10
    Consider yourself lucky. Many of the issues don't surface on short trips but show up on long trips when it is hot outside such as in the summer. The transmission is overheating and going into safety mode. It is in the car manual and the mechanics and service personnel will tell you about the problem but Nissan won"t do anything. Nissan never again.
  • What state do you live in? We live in CA and our car is on transmission number 4. Our first transmission was replaced at 60k but it needed it way earlier. The dealer could not figure out the problem. By the time it was replaced it also needed a differential. The 2nd replacement was at 98k after driving to Las Vegas. The car would not go beyond 45 mph going up the hills and the 3rd replacement happened just recently after driving up a hill on a 100 degree day. Nissan has paid for all the replacements but if you live in a warm climate it seems to be doomed.
    edited November 2012
    Hard to compare notes since my Nissan is an automatic, not a CVT.

And maybe it's better to tell you what states my '99 Quest has lived in. First year was in Anchorage, then a long road trip, then ten years in Boise (105 wasn't uncommon, but it was a dry heat :shades: ). The last two years in the UP of Michigan. Not warm.

But back to the thread, it's bad that most people posting in here have had issues. The question is what percent of owners does that represent. If it's more than 3 or 4%, then Nissan will be losing big time on warranty claims. No consolation, but they've lost money on you and may have lost some future sales from people reading your posts. :sick:

• There seems to be 2 separate issues here. One there is the TX whining noise and then ther is the issue with the TX going into limp mode for no apparent reasons and no codes are showing. I have the later issue.

After my 4th visit with multiple incidents since last spring, Nissan took some fluid out one time, then they said it was a bad crank shaft position sensor. None of these resolved the problem.

Finally this week, they agreed to replace the TX just under the wire since my 2008 Rogue has 198600km on it! I hope this will resolved the problem for good...
  • I'm in the market for an SUV and one of the SUVs we are looking at is Rogue. But after reading all these issues, I want to run as far as I can.

Before I do, does anyone know the new models are any different in terms of transmission? Have they been redesigned? Does any one know the reliability of 2012/13 models.

Thanks in advance
  • I'm glad you took the time to ask the question. Nissan has not redesigned the transmission on these as of yet. They are using a different CVT design then they were using in the smaller cars. The problem with these transmissions is that they generate alot more heat and Nissan hasn't really figured out the specific failure (or at least they are not admitting to it)

In my struggles, prior to getting rid of our Rogue, I wasn't disappointed with the vehicle, but when it did have a problem, Nissan's representatives were not willing to address it. Nor were they willing to replace the transmission as they did before.

If you want to purchase one, just make sure you take into account that there is a standing warranty extension on the transmission due to the problems thay have had with them. The failure rate is not high enough for a complete recall. You will probably not get much support from Nissan as the vehicle reaches 100,000 miles.

Good Luck !
  • Thank you so much for such a detailed answer.

Knowing the issue still exists in the vehicle, very likely we may consider other options.
  • godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    It is my understanding that the warranty extension on the transmission does NOT apply to 2012 and on models..... :confuse:
  • I have a 2012 Rogue SV FWD with 20,500 miles. I have had the car about 10 months and just recently after a oil change and tire rotation I noticed that when breaking from high speeds (70+mph) on the highway the car vibrates. I do not experience this vibration when breaking at slower speeds. The dealer says that my rotors need to be re-surfaced. How long are rotors expected to last? I went years in my VW Passat before having to re-surfaced the rotors. Does this sound right? I thought perhaps my tires were not balanced properly. Any suggestions / comments would be greatly appreciated.
  • The first question that I would ask is where did you have the tire rotation and the oil service accomplished? (Dealer or Quick Oil Change Deal) I know it sounds like a mute point, but if the oil change guy, who is normally not the highest paid or most trained employee at most auto shops or dealerships, over-torqued the lug nuts on the wheels that can and will cause the condition you are feeling. Most consumers take advantage of the "CHEAP" oil change deals that are out there and go for these $14.99 or so specials. Since the front rotors are held in place by the torque of the lug nuts (They call these floating rotors) overtorqued lug nuts cause a mushrooming effect of the hat portion of the rotor, this can cause a slight offset in the camber (Angle) of the rotor face and allow the rotor to heat up when braking. Since the rotor face is is slightly offset or angled it heats unevenly and that will warp the rotors normally after a few weeks or so after the service.

Once you noticed the Pulsation, you went to the dealer. The dealer should have removed the wheels, and measured the latteral runout. Then identified the need to remachine/reface the rotors. A slight amount of runout can be corrected with refacing, but may return after time. I have seen this too many times. They may or may not recommend pad replacement also, depending on their warranty offerred for the service.

Proving the incorrect torque by the shop that rotated the tires is impossible at this point, as the tires have probably been removed and reinstalled by the brake check technician. Unless the dealer service person documented the what you told them completely, and then the technician made a note of what he found when he removed the tires with a hand tool, instead of the normal removal with an impact wrench. (Chances are this didn't happen).

Brake rotors can, and do develop runout if you drive in an area with alot of hills or decending grades. It would take some very heavy braking to occur daily to do this though.

Most shop guidlines, require that technicians hand torque or use torque limiting devices when reinstalling wheels and tires. This said, that takes extra time and if not enforced by management, can often be one of the first procedures not followed in the interest of saving time and getting the next vehicle into the shop.

The tire rotation is normally complimentary or at a very low cost and is necessary for proper tire wear. (Midas bundles a complete oil change with a tire rotation for $29.99 here in Ca.) With these oil change deals, most places loose money, but the benefit for the Auto Shop is that they get you in the door and then through a complimentary inspection, identify additional service recommendations and sell you that service, flush, or identified repair. Vehicles with less than 50,000 to 60,000 miles are not considered to be good profit candidates, but the shop wants you back for the future service.

Here is some advise I give:

If you are using an "Upsell" motivated service facility, then stop! Pay for a good reputable shop to change your oil and do the less glamorous services (LOF and Tire Rotation about $40 to $60) Then reward them with the major service intervals and normal repairs.

Insist on "HAND TORQUE" when installing wheels. (Make it a point when you drop your vehicle off and write it on the service order / request if it isn't documented)

Find a GOOD, REPUTABLE, HONEST shop and stay with them for everything, or solicit their recommendation for services they do not offer. (Use BBB, Yelp, Angie's List, or some other research tool when looking for a shop)

Always inspect the failed or replaced parts!

Ask Questions. There are no Dumb, Stupid, Silly questions when you hand someone your hard earned money for work you may or may not understand, or can see that it was accomplished.

Let the shop EARN YOUR BUSINESS!

Good Luck,
    Rusty (Auto Service Manager, San Diego, Ca.)
    edited November 2012
    You might enjoy the A Mechanic's Life - Tales From Under the Hood discussion Rusty.

• Thanks Steve, I'll check it out.
  • Thanks Steve, you gave me some really good advice. All my service is done by Team Nissan dealership in Marietta, GA. I actually had the car serviced this Saturday. I was informed that the rotors need re-surfacing even though my brake pads were still in good condition which I find puzzling. I had them re-surfaced for $120.00.
    You mean Rusty. :)