Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Fight for recall of CVT for Nissan Rogues and the like

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    Thanks, but appears this only applied to models through 2010? All vehicles after that are back to "normal."
    Yeah, that's it. 2003 to 2010 only, as far as I can see from the NissanAssist.com current website.
  • drkirbydrkirby Member Posts: 1
    My Rogue transmission failed with 133,608 miles on it on 10/20/14. My car had the software patch on 11/30/09. I believe two things: 1. These transmissions are inherently flawed. 2. Nissan's delay in releasing the software patch to eliminate the grinding noise in the transmission further shortened the life of the transmission. I bought my car in March of 08. When I took the car in for the grinding noise it took several visits before they would admit there was a problem. Then it took forever for Nissan to release a "fix".

I will NEVER own a Nissan product again and I will never trust a CVT to be reliable.

My transmission failed in 4 lanes of Eastbound traffic on I-40 in central NC. We were lucky not to be killed when we suddenly lost momentum in the middle of heavy traffic moving at almost 70mph.

I also believe it is not if these transmissions will fail, but when. Mine failed 13K miles outside the extended warranty Nissan offered after the initial grinding noise problem. Coincidence???
    drkirby said:

My Rogue transmission failed with 133,608 miles on it on 10/20/14.

That pretty much says it all: 133,608 miles. While many transmissions do last well over that, not sure you can blame this on a CVT or even Nissan's CVT.
    @ carolinabob -- Yeah, that's it. 2003 to 2010 only, as far as I can see from the NissanAssist.com current website.
  • ariesluarieslu Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2012 Nissan Rogue...CVT is horrible. Over the summer I started having issues of the car not accelerating but the RPMs would go really high. It took me a whole MONTH of going to the local Nissan dealership until they finally "replace" the transmission. But low and behold 6,000 miles later after the warrant is expired I am having the same problems again. SO back to the dealership I will go until this gets fixed...hopefully on their dime. Something needs to be done about this! I have had too many close calls with getting rear ended on a the highway and driving around town. I will never get another Nissan again!!!
  • roguerbroguerb Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2014 Rogue, which will, without notice, hesitate and loose all acceleration when pulling into traffic . At times when this happens, when the car does accelerate, it will take the engine rpms to the extreme limits and not drop the rpms to the normal. When it does this, if I shift into neutral and let the engine rpms drop to an idle, put it back into gear, it works OK . Have had near rear end collisions pulling into traffic several times, as it may last a split few seconds or several seconds, then it goes. This problem which dealer cannot find I believe makes this car unsafe to be on the highway. Dealer says no codes, cannot replicate, no problem. Next was told must be putting my foot on the brake when pulling out and that will cause the vehicle not to accelerate. I have done that on purpose to see what effect it has, and it is not close to what this vehicle does. I am not faulting my dealer, as we have purchased several vehicles from the many dealerships they have and have always been treated fairly. They have no answers, and are in the middle.
  • concerned36concerned36 Member Posts: 1
    Same issues as all of u, 2011 rogue. 34000 miles
  • crablouiecrablouie Member Posts: 1
    My next car will NOT be a NISSAN! Experiencing the same problem as noted above with my 2011 Rogue. Nissan service advisors will tell you to get an oil cooler to remedy this. I opened a case with Nissan Consumer Affairs but they refuse to get involved unless the problem can be diagnosed and reproduced. Good luck with that. The next time it happens you may be in a head on collision trying to pass someone when your CVT cuts out, or possibly t-boned in an intersection trying to make a left turn with an unresponsive CVT.

Nissan dealerships are quick to increase revenues by pushing oil kits, but corporate is simply not taking responsibility for this known defect. This should be a recall.

If you do a lot of long distance driving then this vehicle is HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH.
  • alfcalgary1alfcalgary1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a Rogue 2013 modle in Calgary this January,I only know my car with CVT after i finishing the purchasing,so i search the web and found many complain about the CVT,now i am very nervouse because this car is my first brand new car in my life and i with my wife saved to buy this car for many years,i planed to use this car at least 10 years or more.
    I do think Nissan will lost their reputation in the future if the CVT have huge problems,they put huge money on the advertisement,but why they not put the money to improve the transmission?
    =================================
    05Mar15
    My NEW Rogue is only 11000KM, found oil leak form CVT.The dealer verified leak from L/H transmission output seal. I wonder,do i need to get a new CVT seal every year?
    Have a friend with a five year old Murano. Driven hard for lots and lots of miles witout any problems. Have had no problems with my 2014 Rogue, but less than 10,000 miles.
    We sometimes forget, but hasn't been that long ago that transmissions of all types needed major overhaul or replacement at less than 100,000 miles. Many at much less than that and this was with annual maintenance.
  • dontbuycvtdontbuycvt Member Posts: 1
    i bought a 2011 Nissan Sentra brand new one owner just the other day I was driving. As I got of the highway I stopped at a light and onse it turned green tried to gas it but it dosent move. I tried to put it in L nothing, reverse nothing car revs but dosent accelerate. Took it to a mechanic they said transmission is gone . Really disappointed 4 years and cars transmission went. Would not recommend to anyone 8th nissan in the family and I'm woried now because they are all cvt. after this never buying another nissan they knew about the problem. Extended the warrenty on the 2007-2010 models but no recall. 2011 Nissan Sentra highway drivin daily and nissan don't want to fix it. I financed the car for 5 years still owe $5000 and they want $5500 for new transmission. Very disappinted with the quality I got for 24000 car special edition sr model defiantly wouldn't recommend to anybody. Beware very common problem with this vehicle don't buy cvt transmission.
  • crombie312crombie312 Member Posts: 3
    August 16, 2015. While driving on the Illinois tollway at a steady speed, the RPM's on our 2010 Rogue (84k miles) inexplicably jump way over the 4,000 mark. I let up on the gas and when I press down again I get no acceleration. I eventually have the pedal to the floor and still no acceleration. I was luckily able to maintain my speed and get to the right where I exited the tollway. 
    Upon parking, I detect a burning smell. When I try to drive, if I press too hard in the gas pedal, it revs high but goes nowhere. I have to press gently and slowly build my speed. 
    I make it to the closest transmission repair shop but it's Sunday and everything is closed. The next day they check it and tell me $5,000 repair/replacement is needed, that fluid is burnt. I researched and found that Nissan extended the warranty so I take it to the closest dealer. A day later they tell me the fluid level was too high. The trans had been flushed in January and we drove from Chicago to Florida and back with no problem. Now, 8 months later it's suddenly an issue.  
    I contacted Nissan customer service prior to visiting the dealer and the car was eligible for the extended warranty as it was within the time/mileage constraints. However, at the dealer I'm told that the fluid problem is not covered as part of the warranty. 
    After paying $450 to get the fluid corrected, we are afraid to drive the vehicle  after reading some
    of the stories here. The service manager said they could put a cooler on the trans, which he said Nissan recommends, at a cost of $1200. They even put it on my invoice that a trans cooler was needed if a lot of highway or hilly, high temperature driving was done. 
    Obviously Nissan knows there is a problem with the trans since they extended the warranty AND say that a cooler is needed for the above described conditions. 
    We are going to look at other vehicles and get rid of the Rogue because we are not willing to gamble with our lives or the life of our 3 year old son. I wonder if there have been any fatal crashes as a result of this problem that have gone undiscovered because the driver that experienced the CVT fail didn't live to tell what went wrong prior to the crash. 

• cemny2014cemny2014 Member Posts: 1
    Whoever has not had issues,  either you don't drive your rogue enough or its a ticking time bomb. I have the 2009 with 63,000 miles. Just got back from service station and sure enough need to replace cvt transmission.  These cars definitely not Rogue. I would say for past 5 years nothing but issues.  Who ever heard of engine  leaking  oil from top valve?  Had that done 3 years ago.  Axle  right after warranty expired. Agree though,  cvt definitely  safety issue. Try accelerating  onto a highway going 2 mph with no power. I belive these cars were built to be 3 yr cars. Not very well built.  I have escalated  to nissan  as well. I am all under cvt warranty.  Hopefully I get another 60 k out of this car.  Doubt  it! Never again with a nissan. Hope newer models better built.
  • Jan MeredithJan Meredith Member Posts: 1
    I'm so glad I found this forum. I purchased a 2009 Nissan Rogue in 2012. Drove it without incident other than an annoying rattle in the frame, and then in February of 2014, the transmission went out. It drove like a dream until 5 months later when I began to have the same acceleration problems mentioned here. My son drove it and came back saying that the transmission was failing again. When I drove it again, it would barely take off, rpms revving. I took it back to the dealership and was told that the son was unfamiliar with the vehicle and that "I" was driving with my foot on the brake and confusing the vehicle. Which I do not do. Also, the VDC feature now spontaneously activates. He had no answer for that one. Kept the Rogue and said he put it through diagnostics and found nothing wrong. Now, a year later, it's gotten to the point that I never know if I'm going to have the power to pass a vehicle, pull into traffic, or if it's going to shoot forward or drive normally. The owner of the dealership has invited me to bring it back in, although she hasn't heard of this happening before. I feel unsafe driving it now. These problems didn't begin until after having the new transmission installed. I'm hoping they'll replace it with a different type of tranny, because I really hate the thought of trading it off--and while I love the car, it won't be a Nissan--and some unsuspecting driver has an accident that could be fatal.
  • rasoudegarasoudega Member Posts: 1
    My husband just called me 10 minutes ago from about 50 miles away and said he just had to be towed off the freeway due to this issue...it started running again and he's on his way home but this is terrible! I'm glad I found this forum to know that his Rogue isn't the only one. Sounds like Nissan has known about this for quite a few years now...what is wrong with car companies these days?? Volkswagen and their fiasco...Nissan with a known issue that isn't being addressed. What else is out there I wonder??
    Scary.
  • carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    Class action lawsuit against Nissan is unavoidable. Losing power on the interstate will kill someone just as sure as Toyota's unintended acceleration.
  • danikcc86danikcc86 Member Posts: 1
    LEAVE A COMPLAINT!!! https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ The only way this will be recalled is if enough people file a complaint. Luckily my charge isn't as much as many of yours, but I do need a transmission flush and shouldn't at the mileage I'm at. PLEASE GO TO https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ and file a complaint!!
  • terrilynterrilyn Member Posts: 1
    My daughter's second car which she is working very hard for and paying for herself,unfortunately is a 2009 Nissan Rogue!! She purchased it a year ago in July, we test drove it and she loved it. Not 1 noise,jerk, or anything. A few days later, there is an awful noise when you made a sharp turn. So we took it back to where she bought it which is actually a Chevy dealership and they said it made that noise because it's an awd. Weird! Then 4 to 5 months later it's  November, December and cold,the car doesn't start. At first it was a day,then it started,and then it quit and it was weeks before it started and it quit again. We noticed that when the weather was warm the car would start, but as soon as it would get cold again the car didn't start. Anyone else have these problems?  Also her car does the whining noise,and recently we took a small trip, about 100 Miles from home, we were stopped at a light and when she tried to accelerate, the car wouldn't move and she held the gas pedal almost to the floor and finally we started moving but very slow!!!! 
    CVT belt slipping. No wonder they call CVT as rubber band transmission like those in the snowmobile and childrens racing cars

LOL

I would never buy a CVT car irrespective of high MPG it would give.
  • jerryberry1jerryberry1 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2013 Rogue. I took it to my mechanic for the 15,000 mile. They found a leak in the rear oil seal, I took it to the dealer knowing that the underlying cause was either the CVT or the head gaskets. They are now replacing the CVT. 18,500 miles. Just a shame to buy this inferior of a product.

August 16, 2015. While driving on the Illinois tollway at a steady speed, the RPM's on our 2010 Rogue (84k miles) inexplicably jump way over the 4,000 mark. I let up on the gas and when I press down again I get no acceleration. I eventually have the pedal to the floor and still no acceleration. I was luckily able to maintain my speed and get to the right where I exited the tollway. 
    Upon parking, I detect a burning smell. When I try to drive, if I press too hard in the gas pedal, it revs high but goes nowhere. I have to press gently and slowly build my speed. 
    I make it to the closest transmission repair shop but it's Sunday and everything is closed. The next day they check it and tell me $5,000 repair/replacement is needed, that fluid is burnt. I researched and found that Nissan extended the warranty so I take it to the closest dealer. A day later they tell me the fluid level was too high. The trans had been flushed in January and we drove from Chicago to Florida and back with no problem. Now, 8 months later it's suddenly an issue.  
    I contacted Nissan customer service prior to visiting the dealer and the car was eligible for the extended warranty as it was within the time/mileage constraints. However, at the dealer I'm told that the fluid problem is not covered as part of the warranty. 
    After paying $450 to get the fluid corrected, we are afraid to drive the vehicle  after reading some
    of the stories here. The service manager said they could put a cooler on the trans, which he said Nissan recommends, at a cost of $1200. They even put it on my invoice that a trans cooler was needed if a lot of highway or hilly, high temperature driving was done. 
    Obviously Nissan knows there is a problem with the trans since they extended the warranty AND say that a cooler is needed for the above described conditions. 
    We are going to look at other vehicles and get rid of the Rogue because we are not willing to gamble with our lives or the life of our 3 year old son. I wonder if there have been any fatal crashes as a result of this problem that have gone undiscovered because the driver that experienced the CVT fail didn't live to tell what went wrong prior to the crash. 

Spoke to a few mechanics. All of their opinions are that CVT is junk. Went to look at other cars, Jeep being one, and found some Jeeps use JATCO cvt transmissions. JATCO owned by Nissan/Mitsubishi. Will not be buying.
    Meanwhile, my consumer complaint went the next step up the ladder to Nissan. However, the regional rep told me Nissan will not cover my costs for repair. I argued it was a widespread problem that Nissan knew about since they extended the warrantee and must have been an overheating problem, not an excess fluid problem, based on my breakdown on a hot day and the fact that the dealer recommended a cooler be installed. Why else would a cooler be needed if it wasn't an overheating problem? Rep said it was Nissan's final decision, they weren't covering anything. When I asked to speak to someone higher, she refused, saying there was nobody else, the decision was final. She did say that I could report the matter to NHTSA. I told her it had already been done. What arrogance! The Rogue is gone. Like I said earlier, we are not willing to gamble with our lives.

WILL NOT BUY OR RECOMMEND NISSAN!!
    When I argued here against CVT in this forum, there were some members here who tried to intimidate me .
    I've spoken to those who like it and those who don't. I didn't have any real like or dislike for it until I broke down. Then I started researching and it appears there is a true problem with some of the CVT's Nissan is using. My complaint is not about personal preference, it's about safety and Nissan's refusal to recall an apparently unsafe product or honor the warranty they issued because of the problem.
  • mrhuskermrhusker Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2013 Rogue with 29000 miles on it. Transmission occasionally slips while driving it. According to the dealership, my transmission isn't slipping in the correct way for Nissan to fix it under the warranty. The service manager freely admits the CVT transmission is garbage and they have continuing problems with it. I called Nissan's customer service and they recommended that i not drive the vehicle until the transmission, which they refuse to fix under the warranty, is fixed. So, according to Nissan, there isn't a warranty issue that they need to fix but the transmission needs to be fixed to make the vehicle safe to drive. Does that make any sense to anyone?
    Did the dealership personnel drive your vehicle to test the slippage?
    edited February 2016
    mrhusker said:

I have a 2013 Rogue with 29000 miles on it. Transmission occasionally slips while driving it. According to the dealership, my transmission isn't slipping in the correct way for Nissan to fix it under the warranty. The service manager freely admits the CVT transmission is garbage and they have continuing problems with it. I called Nissan's customer service and they recommended that i not drive the vehicle until the transmission, which they refuse to fix under the warranty, is fixed. So, according to Nissan, there isn't a warranty issue that they need to fix but the transmission needs to be fixed to make the vehicle safe to drive. Does that make any sense to anyone?

Nissan sucks. I never understood why people buy Nissan vehicles when they are spoiled for choice in the USA. Now Europe is a different ball game as Nissan is in bed with Renault, an another BS car company :smile:
  • julies22julies22 Member Posts: 1
    WoW! I'm glad I just found your review. I too have a 2013 Nissan Rogue with a CVT. Nov 2015 I had to leave Seattle last minute (g'son hit by car) and head to Phoenix. My 14 yr old daughter and I got into California and were going thru mountains/steep grades. All of a sudden my Rogue started losing speed and got slower and slower...very scary and dangerous as cars were coming behind us so fast and so many it took me 3-4 mins to get over to the side of the road to get off. My car was dropping speed rapidly and I was terrified. When I finally pulled off the exit and came to the stop sign my car died. I started crying. :( Cars were honking and going around us. After about 5 mins it started up and I was able to get off the road and pull into a car dealership which was the first place to stop. It was a Sunday. Everything closed including car rentals. I sat there for over an hour with my daughter crying. She was much more logical and practical then myself in the situation. I pulled it together, we got something to eat and came back to the car. She pulled out the owner's manual and it said if traveling in hot weather and going over mountains (which we were), the CVT automatically shuts down so it doesn't overheat and burn up. Really??? Why was I not told that? I just knew the transmission was shot. We checked the engine oil and water in radiator. All fine. I started the car back up and with my FAITH got back on I-5. We did not have any more problems all the way there nor back. However, I have an appt tomorrow to take it into Nissan to have the transmission checked as I have a 60,000 mi/6yr warranty and I'm at 58,000 miles now. I now the transmission is caput. I can tell.TBH, there's not much I like about my Nissan Rogue except for it's a Nissan and they have a great reputation. Like you mentioned how can you travel/go anywhere if you can't drive steep grades for more than 6 miles??? It's absurd. What to do? What to do? :(
    edited February 2016
    julies22 said:

WoW! I'm glad I just found your review. I too have a 2013 Nissan Rogue with a CVT. Nov 2015 I had to leave Seattle last minute (g'son hit by car) and head to Phoenix. My 14 yr old daughter and I got into California and were going thru mountains/steep grades. All of a sudden my Rogue started losing speed and got slower and slower...very scary and dangerous as cars were coming behind us so fast and so many it took me 3-4 mins to get over to the side of the road to get off. My car was dropping speed rapidly and I was terrified. When I finally pulled off the exit and came to the stop sign my car died. I started crying. :( Cars were honking and going around us. After about 5 mins it started up and I was able to get off the road and pull into a car dealership which was the first place to stop. It was a Sunday. Everything closed including car rentals. I sat there for over an hour with my daughter crying. She was much more logical and practical then myself in the situation. I pulled it together, we got something to eat and came back to the car. She pulled out the owner's manual and it said if traveling in hot weather and going over mountains (which we were), the CVT automatically shuts down so it doesn't overheat and burn up. Really??? Why was I not told that? I just knew the transmission was shot. We checked the engine oil and water in radiator. All fine. I started the car back up and with my FAITH got back on I-5. We did not have any more problems all the way there nor back. However, I have an appt tomorrow to take it into Nissan to have the transmission checked as I have a 60,000 mi/6yr warranty and I'm at 58,000 miles now. I now the transmission is caput. I can tell.TBH, there's not much I like about my Nissan Rogue except for it's a Nissan and they have a great reputation. Like you mentioned how can you travel/go anywhere if you can't drive steep grades for more than 6 miles??? It's absurd. What to do? What to do? :(

Sell it off ASAP. You could die from a rear end accident on an Interstate. Worse your children are at risk.

• 09rogueregret09rogueregret Member Posts: 1
    My Rogue transmission failed at 147K miles on it on 02/13/16. $4400 to replace. We were on the PA Turnpike going 70 when it went out. I had to limp to the next exit hoping not to be rear ended. CVTs should be removed from the road by NHTSB and companies made to reimburse consumers for their failed experiment.
    Well to be fair, 147K isn't bad for an automatic transmission. A big "ouch!" on the repair bill, though.
  • randizonerandizone Member Posts: 1
    I absolutely LOATHE Nissan and its crooked ways. I had 90k miles on my 2011 Rogue and the transmission went out. The repair cost... $4,000. Mine did not fall under the extended warranty. The service tech mentioned that I contact Nissan Assist to see if they would covered some or all of the expense because this apparently happens there in LaLa land. After being trampled over for 3 weeks and giving them every piece of information they had requested I was turned down. Now I'm a single mom with one income. I have to have a vehicle. I will NEVER EVER NEVER EVER buy another Nissan EVER again. I'd rather walk. I'd rather crawl. I've had many cars that I've driven well over 100k miles and never had to replace a transmission. They suck.
  • tresa929tresa929 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2016
    I have a 2009 Nissan Rogue . Failed transmission at 123k miles. Asked Nissan for assistance, even though it was out of warranty.....barely (3k). Surprise! Nissan won't reimburse. I didn't expect full coverage, but anything would have helped. So disappointed in Nissan. Will never buy again!!

Well to be fair, 147K isn't bad for an automatic transmission. A big "ouch!" on the repair bill, though.

Trick is to sell the 'rogues' before the failure. Never keep it beyond 100k.
  • timswiley1971timswiley1971 Member Posts: 1
    My 2012 Has the Issues:
    1. I bought brand new.
    2. All routine maintenance done by dealer.
    3. @ 17k miles transmission went into a limp mode stuck in like 4th gear... takes forever to accelerate to 50mph and won't go above 65mph top speed. Also when this happens the hud shows that the transmission is in 2 gears at once. Took to dealer and it was a mystery as to what they did but 2 weeks later it seemed ok.
    4. @34k miles problem happened again. This time i called nissan consumer affairs 2.5 months later and multiple level 3 consults they indicated they found the issue and repaired it.. Dealer showed it was over 5k in repairs covered by Nissan.
    5. After that fix the transmission in hotter days always had a faint high pitch whine, and the gas mileage on the car was never the same... I use to get a solid 24 to 26mph... since that repair 22 on the highway max even with very conservative driving.
    6. 72k miles problem is back... 5/13/2016 and i'm headed back to the dealer... This car has been a lemon and based on what i've read this is common for the CVT's. I opened up another consumer affairs case with Nissan, but all i know is if they don't take care of it or ask me for one dollar i will be filling a law suit against them and make it worth my time doing so.
    *** I'm a patient guy but they need to own these issues and get them fixed rather than trying to keep things hush hush and putting consumers in haggling situations with their dealerships on who pays for what.
    **** I hope this helps someone else. Other than this the car has been great.
  • gemini2trugemini2tru Member Posts: 4
    angrycane said:

Yes I would VERY MUCH like to know if the issue has been rectified with the 2012 model going forward.

I am glad that I stumbled onto this discussion thread as I have been researching the vehicle before purchasing.

Now I'm worried for my friend whom owns a JUKE with the same CVT transmission!

NO! I have been reading comments and have seen MANY posts concerning the 2013 rogue's. I also am having this problem with my 08 model and I was told by corp. that I had too many miles on my car now. Although maintenance has been kept up with! This car left me in MANY dangerous situations! Loss of power and almost rear-ended several times and having to pull off in unsafe places bc the pedal was gone- no power!! I'm angry that they KNEW this was a problem and would leave people sitting on side of the road on long trips and did NOT recall the rogue's that were not equipped with a trans-cooler. All corp will say is that IF you took your car into a NISSAN dealership before 120,000 miles, you would THEN be told they had extended the warranty to 120,000 (no mailing and no recall) they knew that they over-heated and it would destroy the transmission- such as it is...a CVT. So of course NOW, I need new belts, transmission and added cooler. My car is now a few thousand over that warranty so I have close to 5,000 in repairs, caused by this, that I can't afford!
    rustywer said:

So on a recent trip to Vegas, going up hill on a fairly cool night at 75 - 85 mph, the transmission drops into failsafe. This is the 2nd CVT in this vehicle to have problems. First one was replaced at approx 80,000 miles due to noise issues by a dealer in San Diego.

Being in the Business and having some technical experience with diags, I want to make sure I can see what is going on. I consulted two dealers and One says "It's an overheating problems, and Nissan is working on a fix" (This was from a service advisor) - I contact the Service Manager and he calls the Factory Rep, and I get the Blond Salute (The "I DUNNO SHRUG")(Yes, I'm Blond also)

I call a Buddy of Mine who is a service rep at a local dealer and he's at least willing to listen to me.

Here's what I see with a Snap On Scanner while Looking at Transmission Data.

(Quoting my email to my buddy the service rep)

So I drove the hell out of the Rogue this weekend with the scanner on it. The Datum I pointed out to you seems to be an issue.

When monitoring the ATF Temp readings, you can monitor both the Temp Sensor Voltage Reading and the ATF Temp in Degrees Fareheight. The Voltage readings Stay Between 2.0VDC and 0.6VDC which, according to the weighted values from mitchell Should be 68 Degrees and 230 degrees respectively. When I read temperature (Weighted Values) from Trans Data 2 the 2.0 volt reading is consistant with the 68 degree temp, but as the voltage drops the interpreted data shows that the trans is reading 275 Degrees at .6 volts. This will cause a failsafe mode if the TCM interprets this value as a condition that is above normal temp. When I read the temperature of the transmission with an infrared thermometer, it never gets close to the high temp reading that the interpretted datum shows.

As the transmission heats up, the whine in the transmission returns and gets louder as the temperature climbs.

I know that Nissan is aware of this heating issue and they are working on a "FIX".
    I am also getting an intermittent burning smell when going uphill in warmer outside temperatures.
    I know that this transmission, if it is heating up, will have excessive wear in the transmission drive belt due to the high temperatures.
    I know that the whine is not an acceptable condition for the transmission to have.
    Having the transmission drop into failsafe mode after 2+ hours of driving is unacceptable.

With this transmission dropping out of warranty in less than 500 miles, we need to do something about it ASAP.

(End of Email)

So, here some more "Sauce for the Goose" - If this is a problem with Data Interpretation they should have been able to fix it by reprogramming (Or cause it, because part of the first Technical Service Bulletin they performed, did a reprogramming of theTCM) - OR - If the problem is heat related and the problems don't show up untill the transmission get a few thousand miles on them, they can let it fall out of warranty with an average of a one time transmission replacement for problem units prior to the extended 120,000 mile transmission warranty expiration.

Either way, Nissan needs to step up. If you are getting a Whine, Burning Smell, Failsafe Mode (Normally with no check engine light in my case), a feeling of slipping under load - Be the Squeaky Wheel and demand an answer and a Transmission replacement as soon as it occurs. A whine is rubbing / slipping - that causes WEAR - that causes FRICTION /HEAT - THAT CAUSES FAILURE !

Good luck, my fellow Rogue Owners!

I certainly wish I had known the name of the problem and researched alot sooner. I have an 08 rogue and of course I am a few thousand over the 120,000. I am having every single one of the problems you have mentioned- esp belt whine and burning smell when hot outside or driven too far. So nissan wants to do nothing for me. I have called and asked why this wasnt recalled and went on for so many years. Everyone (I sure wasn't) isn't aware that nissan ext the warranties on their own and didn't inform owners- so we thought (me, anyway) it was OUR problem to fix!! Now I need a new transmission, belts and cooler. I just paid it off and can't drive it to the beach? Or out of town- and know now it WILL stop driving and isn't worth what I put down on it. How can they do this to people?????
  • jackie1156jackie1156 Member Posts: 3
    OMG - So glad I found this site - RECALL PLEASE!! I still love my 09 Nissan Rogue because of comfort and ease when everything is working right. I put on a lot of highway miles. Usually use Cruse-control. But I have also been ripped of by the Nissan Dealer at the toon of $1300. for a problem that only Nissan could read codes for. My regular mechanic insisted the problem they insisted on it being was NOT an issue (I took it in for a Transmission problem) but at that point the car was in pieces and they insisted that it needed to be done. As a "Girl" needing to take care of elderly family, work etc. I felt stuck. After I paid the $1300. for another issue - They said - Well lets check the transmission... BTW: This was my original issue when I went there. Sure enough - NOW they agree there is a problem with the transmission that Nissan will cover at 119,000 miles (Under 120,000 they will cover a new Transmission) Well even tho it really cost me $1300. for work that didn't need to be done and my mechanic wanted to go to court to fight it. I was just glad to be back on the road 3 days later.
    SO NOW-- At 185,000 miles. My transmission is having a problem AGAIN. Same thing. Slipping and not moving or just not accelerating. Today I was on a high way and almost got run over by a tractor trailer.
    Do we need to have people get killed because the vehicle can not get out of its way in order to get a recall. How did VW determine or get people to take action to fix a dangerous problem.. Or now Jeep is supporting their customers with their problem.
    WILL NISSAN STAND BEHIND THEIR DEDICATED CUSTOMERS.
    I am so afraid to go back to a dealer for an intermittent problem and get screwed again. I bought this car because I was told it would easily last 200,000 miles BUT I have dropped over $6,000 in it over the last year. Everyone thinks it is a new car because I keep it looking but I need it to keep going
    HELP NISSAN - PLEASE!!
  • jackie1156jackie1156 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2016
    OMG.. IT DIED SINCE MY LAST POSTE A FEW DAYS AGO....NOW WHAT?
    I Wrote a couple days ago that I was having problems AGAIN (Nissan Replaced my CVT at 120,000 miles) Now - 60,000 later - The transmission is worse than the first one and totally dead. It was an intermittent death that was also very dangerous because it would give out when I was in Highway FAST traffic. Well Yesterday my car was towed away. Help - I need advice on how to get Nissan to support me. How do I get a hold of a company rep? Unfortunately I had to have my car towed to a Nissan Dealership so I really fear getting ripped off AGAIN. No I can not afford a new car and I bought this because I was told that I should be able to easily get to 200,000 miles....HELP- Please Advise... Please email me any advice: [Email removed]
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2016
    People who want to contact you can private message you by clicking on your user name. That'll keep the spambots from grabbing your email.

Here's the consumer rep contact info for Nissan. If you do Facebook, there's a link there for using that too.

This article may help:

The Secret Warranty
    You will sometimes get a faster response using the corporate Facebook or Twitter site than contacting them by phone.
  • groguesucks16groguesucks16 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 2009 Nissan Rogue 2 months ago and the transmission is already failing. If/when they replace it, I will be trading it in for a Honda CR-V. I will NEVER, EVER, EVER buy another Nissan product again.
  • diggsy56diggsy56 Member Posts: 1
    I am the owner of a 2012 Nissan Rogue and the CVT has been failing over and over again...!!! What do we have to do to get the Nissan Company to recognize this problem and fix the issues...??? I am guessing there has to be several deaths to occur before they decide something is truly wrong. I was driving yesterday to attend a very important family gathering and my CVT light came on and I lost all power while traveling 70 miles an hour down the highway...!!! I barely it made off the highway on an exit ramp. Unfortunately I came to a red-light and had to stop. I had several cars behind me and when the light turned green I accelerated but the car would not move...!!! I received several finger flashes and people screaming and honking at me because I was not going anywhere...!!! I continued to accelerate with my foot all the way to the floor and it finally begin to move slowly across the intersection on a red light...!!! I was very lucky I did not get hit by on coming traffic...!!! I just don't get why Nissan will not address this issue before someone gets killed or seriously injured...!!! Has anyone had any luck filing a complaint with or about Nissan...??? I am getting ready to take some action...!!! Who's with me..???
  • tybles123tybles123 Member Posts: 1
    Yikes - looks like we were all duped. I've owned my 2012 Nissan Rogue for about a year now, leased it for a few years before buying. I only have 65,000 miles on it. About 2 or 3 months ago, I noticed the slippage/loss of power on interstate after driving for an hour or so. Same problems as everyone else - getting off of the exit, sitting at a stop light, and not being able to accelerate for a short period of time. Since then, it's only gotten worse. The loss of acceleration is now accompanied with a loud whirring sound - similar to that of a cicada. I brought my car into a different Nissan dealership than that which I bought it at. I explained the problems I was having & they inspected it. They said they do not see anything currently wrong, nor did they hear anything after test driving it (I hear it 24/7 when I drive the car now). However, they did say that it most likely is the CVT as they have had a lot of problems with them. No solution. To top it off, they said my 2012 is JUST pass the acceptable warranty mileage, which was set by Nissan at 60,000 miles & a new transmission would be $4,000, as many other people on this thread have expressed. I'm hesitant to take my car on the road at all now, let alone for longer trips.

My question is - has anyone had any success with warranty/transmission replacements? After reading 5 of 10 pages of essentially the same problem on this thread, has anyone considered a class-action lawsuit? There is more power in numbers, and the more we continue to try to take care of the issue individually, the longer Nissan will try to brush us off & avoid a mass recall. There is NO reason that we should all suffer while Nissan remains quiet.
  • ctygirlctygirl Member Posts: 1
    Wow! I'm so surprised that so many are having problems with Nissan especially the Rogue. I had the choice of getting a Mazda CX-7 or the Ford Focus. I chose Nissan because of it's reputation and because my mother owned an Altima that lasted for years. Since I was looking to get a mini Suv I chose the Rogue. Big mistake. I've encountered the same experience of sluggish movement uphill while the pedal was to the floor and just recently at a stop the car wouldn't move while we were accelerating. A huge safety problem. After reading what you have been through I am definitely filing a complaint and I will not a buy a Nissan in the future. Since my job is in social media I will warn everyone not to buy also a Nissan. Nissan, I don't know what's happened to your cars but they are garbage now. Shame of you for trying to screw over so many people by cutting corners and putting their lives in jeopardy.
  • sandiego_ddcsandiego_ddc Member Posts: 1
    I got a used 2011 Rogue AWD and only use it as a secondary car. Well, we don't drive it a lot, but when we took it took on a trip, we head towards Las Vegas to get to Utah, we were going up "The Bigh Hill" before Barstow and man, I had the pedal floored! I was so slow I had to pull into the Slow Truck Lane! I saw my speedometer go from 65 down to 45-50 mph! It hit us twice going up 2 hills on our was towards LV. I finally got to take the Rogue in and the dealership( Mossy Nissan - Kearny Mesa - San Diego) gave me a loaner for free until they can troubleshoot it. They call me back and said there's some sort of note on the Rogues that is was a fluid transmission heating problem and puts it in a Fail Safe mode. From what I see on the forum, it looks like the CVT Fluid oil. They had an inspector look it over and submit to to the warranty dept. I guess, we they will install this cooling kit for it to address the over heating. Man, I was hoping they installed those kits on the newer models, my loaner is actually a 2016 Rogue.
  • raj_coolraj_cool Member Posts: 1
    I got this used Nissan Rogue 2012 FWD, from BEEPI having 38K miles. The car works fine until we planned for a long trip to Vegas from CA on Aug 19,2016
    After Traveling About 45 Minutes or an hour on a sunny day,my Car started loosing power . I was on high way hardly I was in 70, hit accelerator, On approaching uphill the car power lost... I pedaled down to the car floor but the car did not powered up. Had to stop the car on shoulder for 10-15 mnts after every hour
    Pressing On The Accelerator Resulted In The Car Still Loosing power. It Did Not Matter How Much You Pressed The Accelerator, The Car Still Slowed Down. It Happened Again couple of days back on Oct 9, 2016. Traveling to uphill to Big Sur.

In Addition, When I Got Off The Highway And Came To A Stop At A Stop Sign, I Pressed The Accelerator And The Car Did Not Go At First. Then The Car Slowly Moved Forward. I Have Googled This Problem And Have Found Many Who Have Experienced The Same Thing.

I went to Nissan Authorised Dealer Premier Nissan of Fremont(5701 Cushing Pkwy, Fremont, CA 94538). They say never heard such issue, which I feel they are bluntly telling lie, as I checked in google its a most common problem with Nisaan car.
    However they have asked to do Diagnostics Test, (for which sadly, I have to pay from my pocket). I called the Nissan Consumer Affair 1-800 647-7261 and they said to get the Diagnostics done first. I am pretty sure nothing would come in Diagnostics check as stated by others in the post, but still will go and have this done.

As stated by tybles123 above, even I too agree to consider a common class-action lawsuit which make more sense as number do speaks. Please let me know if any one have other workaround or ideas to handle this.