Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fight for recall of CVT for Nissan Rogues and the like

Comments

• I'm in the market for an SUV and one of the SUVs we are looking at is Rogue. But after reading all these issues, I want to run as far as I can.

Before I do, does anyone know the new models are any different in terms of transmission? Have they been redesigned? Does any one know the reliability of 2012/13 models.

Thanks in advance
  • I'm glad you took the time to ask the question. Nissan has not redesigned the transmission on these as of yet. They are using a different CVT design then they were using in the smaller cars. The problem with these transmissions is that they generate alot more heat and Nissan hasn't really figured out the specific failure (or at least they are not admitting to it)

In my struggles, prior to getting rid of our Rogue, I wasn't disappointed with the vehicle, but when it did have a problem, Nissan's representatives were not willing to address it. Nor were they willing to replace the transmission as they did before.

If you want to purchase one, just make sure you take into account that there is a standing warranty extension on the transmission due to the problems thay have had with them. The failure rate is not high enough for a complete recall. You will probably not get much support from Nissan as the vehicle reaches 100,000 miles.

Good Luck !
  • Thank you so much for such a detailed answer.

Knowing the issue still exists in the vehicle, very likely we may consider other options.
  • godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    It is my understanding that the warranty extension on the transmission does NOT apply to 2012 and on models..... :confuse:
  • I have a 2012 Rogue SV FWD with 20,500 miles. I have had the car about 10 months and just recently after a oil change and tire rotation I noticed that when breaking from high speeds (70+mph) on the highway the car vibrates. I do not experience this vibration when breaking at slower speeds. The dealer says that my rotors need to be re-surfaced. How long are rotors expected to last? I went years in my VW Passat before having to re-surfaced the rotors. Does this sound right? I thought perhaps my tires were not balanced properly. Any suggestions / comments would be greatly appreciated.
  • The first question that I would ask is where did you have the tire rotation and the oil service accomplished? (Dealer or Quick Oil Change Deal) I know it sounds like a mute point, but if the oil change guy, who is normally not the highest paid or most trained employee at most auto shops or dealerships, over-torqued the lug nuts on the wheels that can and will cause the condition you are feeling. Most consumers take advantage of the "CHEAP" oil change deals that are out there and go for these $14.99 or so specials. Since the front rotors are held in place by the torque of the lug nuts (They call these floating rotors) overtorqued lug nuts cause a mushrooming effect of the hat portion of the rotor, this can cause a slight offset in the camber (Angle) of the rotor face and allow the rotor to heat up when braking. Since the rotor face is is slightly offset or angled it heats unevenly and that will warp the rotors normally after a few weeks or so after the service.

Once you noticed the Pulsation, you went to the dealer. The dealer should have removed the wheels, and measured the latteral runout. Then identified the need to remachine/reface the rotors. A slight amount of runout can be corrected with refacing, but may return after time. I have seen this too many times. They may or may not recommend pad replacement also, depending on their warranty offerred for the service.

Proving the incorrect torque by the shop that rotated the tires is impossible at this point, as the tires have probably been removed and reinstalled by the brake check technician. Unless the dealer service person documented the what you told them completely, and then the technician made a note of what he found when he removed the tires with a hand tool, instead of the normal removal with an impact wrench. (Chances are this didn't happen).

Brake rotors can, and do develop runout if you drive in an area with alot of hills or decending grades. It would take some very heavy braking to occur daily to do this though.

Most shop guidlines, require that technicians hand torque or use torque limiting devices when reinstalling wheels and tires. This said, that takes extra time and if not enforced by management, can often be one of the first procedures not followed in the interest of saving time and getting the next vehicle into the shop.

The tire rotation is normally complimentary or at a very low cost and is necessary for proper tire wear. (Midas bundles a complete oil change with a tire rotation for $29.99 here in Ca.) With these oil change deals, most places loose money, but the benefit for the Auto Shop is that they get you in the door and then through a complimentary inspection, identify additional service recommendations and sell you that service, flush, or identified repair. Vehicles with less than 50,000 to 60,000 miles are not considered to be good profit candidates, but the shop wants you back for the future service.

Here is some advise I give:

If you are using an "Upsell" motivated service facility, then stop! Pay for a good reputable shop to change your oil and do the less glamorous services (LOF and Tire Rotation about $40 to $60) Then reward them with the major service intervals and normal repairs.

Insist on "HAND TORQUE" when installing wheels. (Make it a point when you drop your vehicle off and write it on the service order / request if it isn't documented)

Find a GOOD, REPUTABLE, HONEST shop and stay with them for everything, or solicit their recommendation for services they do not offer. (Use BBB, Yelp, Angie's List, or some other research tool when looking for a shop)

Always inspect the failed or replaced parts!

Ask Questions. There are no Dumb, Stupid, Silly questions when you hand someone your hard earned money for work you may or may not understand, or can see that it was accomplished.

Let the shop EARN YOUR BUSINESS!

Good Luck,
    Rusty (Auto Service Manager, San Diego, Ca.)
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,913
    edited November 2012
  • Thanks Steve, I'll check it out.
  • Thanks Steve, you gave me some really good advice. All my service is done by Team Nissan dealership in Marietta, GA. I actually had the car serviced this Saturday. I was informed that the rotors need re-surfacing even though my brake pads were still in good condition which I find puzzling. I had them re-surfaced for $120.00.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,913
    You mean Rusty. :)
  • mchan3mchan3 Posts: 1
    coralgables23, I am a new owner of a 2012 Rogue too. I am having the same issue like you, with a loud snap coming from the back part of the car when first taking off from being parked overnight. I was thinking I may not warm up the car good enough. So I tried 3, 5, 8 and even 10 minutes, however the snap sound still exists. Have you had you car checked with this issue? I have told the Nissan repair shop twice for the issue and was told I have to leave the car there for days for them to find out the problems. Kindly please advise.
    thanks.
  • bmf300bmf300 Posts: 2
    I brought my car to the shop with similar issues. My mechanic called the dealership and told him there are issues with the CVTs. I found this article online from Nissan:

http://www.nissanassist.com/ProgramDetails.php?menu=2

CVT Program Details

Dear Nissan Owner:

On behalf of everyone at Nissan, we would like to thank you for choosing to drive a Nissan. One of the many technologically-advanced features of your vehicle is the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), an innovative transmission that offers smooth, seamless shifting, while tailoring the vehicle's output to your driving style.

While Nissan is proud to offer this technology on many of our models, a small percentage of owners of early models equipped with CVTs have expressed concerns about the cost of repair of their transmissions after the warranty expires. We take these comments about the cost of vehicle ownership seriously. We strive to provide an exceptional ownership experience and are implementing a thorough Customer Satisfaction Program to address this topic.

First, to provide you with additional assurance regarding your overall cost of ownership we have doubled the warranty period for the Continuously Variable Transmission in your Nissan. The existing powertrain warranty coverage of 5 years/60,000 miles will be extended at no cost to you, for CVT repairs, replacements or related towing, to 10 years/120,000 miles, whichever comes first.
  • kgbatlkgbatl Posts: 10
    Yes that letter had been issued before we had our problem. The dealership also admitted that there had been problems but they could not duplicate the problem so nissan refused to do anything.
  • Good morning. I am having so many issues on my 2012 Rogue SV. I was wondering if you contacted an attorney? If so, what did they tell you?
  • testagmtestagm Posts: 7
    After submitting a claim online with the Better Business Bureau, I was contacted by someone from Nissan's Arbritration department. Their number as of two years ago was 1 615-725-1000. The CVT was replaced at no cost to me. No issues since. Good luck!
  • gailintxgailintx Posts: 3
    Well, here I go again with car problems. 2010 Nissan Rogue. Purchased new 02/2010. Original transmission starting acting up December 2011. Replaced March 2012. NOW it is starting to act up again. Took it in for an oil change at my local Nissan dealer that I bought it from. I have the Gold Plan that give me free oil changes & tire rotation. I had 63,997 miles on it when I brought it in on Saturday. Once I left the lot after my oil change, I noticed it was accelerating "weird." I blew that off and drove the 20 miles back home. My traction control light came on, even when completely stopped. Then when trying to accelerate from a stop, it would hesitate at 20 mph, rev up the RPMs, then slowly accelerate up to normal speed. Twice the next day it wouldn't go at all. Car didn't stall or turn off, just wouldn't accelerate from a stop. We are leaving on a trip tomorrow, so I took it to the dealership at 7:00 am this morning and demanded they figure out what is wrong with it. After 3 hours, they claim it was the stop lamp switch. Said it was $50. I said check again, I am not paying anything. I have extended warranty. Thank goodnees I did. Fingers crossed that was really the culprit this time...
  • Well, I had hoped for so long I would be able to avoid the Rogue transmission problems. I have a 2008 that I purchased in October of 2007. I love Nissan and this is my fourth, but man has she been a lemon. There is a running joke in my house about when she will need her next tow (she is averaging one every 9 months or so), however with all the problems it seemed I was going to avoided the CVT curse. Well over the weekend it finally hit. I had been hearing a whining/grinding in the car for months, but based on the other owners who had talking about their problems it seemed Nissan was dismissing the noise as a non-issue. This weekend the noises turned into a slipping transmission that had a hard time accelerating. My spouse and I almost got hit because the car just wouldn't go and someone came up behind me really fast and I couldn't get the car down the road. Plus this slipping is not a lot of fun to deal with. I took the car to my dealer this morning who immediately dismissed my claims; stating that whining, grinding and slipping could be "anything". They have had the car all day and still haven't been able to "duplicate the problems". I know (and my spouse knows) the car is dangerous to drive. I am fairly sure the dealer is going to try and return the car to me today without doing a thing. I have 17K miles left on the extended warranty and won't rest until I have the new transmission I know the car needs. Between the lackluster support from my dealer and the terrible trouble I have had with my Rogue; I have decided this will be my last Nissan. And if I was in a place to purchase a new car, I would get rid of it today. :sick: :mad:
  • vabelleintnvabelleintn Posts: 8
    edited June 2013
    I wanted to add an addendum to my original comment. My dealer ended up giving me NO trouble about the replacement. They drove it twice and the second time it was obvious the transmission was the problem. They ordered a new transmission ASAP and even apologize for doubting me. I still am disappointed that the car has had such problems, but today my dealer did what they could to make it right.
  • ollie43ollie43 Posts: 1
    After reading these postings it makes me wonder. I have a 2008 Rogue with a almost 70,000 miles. On acceleration I hear a noise that sounds life a beehive at a distance. Once I reach the speed I want it goes away. Also my car will shudder as if it wants to turn off and I was told that is normal for a car with this type of transmission. Are they pulling my leg. Do I have problems. I am 70 and I wonder it that makes them think they pull the wool over my eyes.

Any comments?
  • They may be trying to avoid having to deal with your Rogue issues. As for the beehive noise, my car made a high pitch almost squeal or a grinding noise that sounds like metal grinding on metal. I can't place a beehive sounds. As for the stalling, my car has been doing that for ages, especially when the AC is on. I was also told it was normal, but when I get the car back next week and have the new transmission, I will post again to tell if the issues in my car have disappears or are still there and unrelated to my bad transmission.