Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cruze Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• I use mile markers not GPS, don't have one at this time.

On my many trips to Colorado from GA, I often check the odometer for a 100 mile run.
  • Forgot to mention that a Computer Trip indicated 30.1 vs an actual 29.9 is what I'd call "accurate, enough anyway.
  • I do run stock diameter tires, yet take into consideration that the true dia when new vs nearly worn out may be substantial especially with large SUV/Pu tires.

In the past dealers offered speedometer "pinion gears" of different sizes to correct speedo/odometer errors.

Even in the days of the 700R4 with the electronic speedo, the gear sets were available, as in the case of my "91 Caprice.

As I understand it, some vehicles must be "calibrated" via a plug-in laptop module to correct speedo errors, as in pickup trucks with non-standard tires. These can cause in addition to ECM confusion, Braking Problems, besides speedo errors
  • Yeah... old Ford Econlines had a plastic odometer gear.... if you were running off, you just changed from 16 grooves to 17.... (or something like that)..

Most odometers I've had have been dead on.... mile markers, gps, whatever..... The speedometers and on-board mileage computers are another matter...

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• eliaselias Posts: 1,836
    speedo gears.
    (new edmunds forum idea: name a random car part and i'll have a specific story about it.)

there were two speedo gears on the pre-electronic-dashboard cars and they had to be matched. one gear at speedo head and one in/on transmission.

in an ongoing zeries of Z28s, my 89 iroc (5 manual gears, 2 catalytic converters) arrived from factory with mismatched gears such that speedo registered nearly 1.7x actual speed.
    it took months to fix. GM shop tried 3 times and randomized the speedo ratio each time.
    they couldn't get it right - kept ordering/installing the wrong gear.
    in the end, the GM shop sent the car to local speedshop which certified cop car speedos with custom speedo gears, which they did for my 'z' . Also GM extended the warranty by 2k odometer miles.

along the way i learned to know my speed via rpm/gear/SOTP as well as learning to divide by 1.7 all the more more quickly. a state police officer helped provide incentive for such education and also provided a genuine belly-laugh and a citation for 70 in a 55 when i told him of the broken factory speedo and pointed at the stack of GM paperwork about it.

the chevy cruze surely has no speedo gears whatsoever. :|
    but apparently does have a steering wheel & electric steering mechanism, also with way fewer gears than a 1980s steering wheel/rack.

previously someone had mentioned/theorized that one could swap an LTZ/whatever steering wheel onto an LS to provide CRUISE-CONTROL with no other mods required. anyone tried this or got any more info on it?
  • puffin1puffin1 Posts: 276
    What model has dual pipes, I can't find it on here?
    TY Puffin
    i don't think any cruze has dual pipes - nor speedo gears.
    (previous post went on about speedo gears from a 1989 GM car with dual cats, so probably didn't belong in a cruze forum at all!)
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    i think the cruze LTZ model might have dual pipes,not sure though.
  • USAA United Services Automobile Association offers deep discounts on GM Vehicles

You will need your DD214 Number and join up at USAA.com
    www.dd214.com

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/why_choose_usaa_eligibility_main
    www.usaa.com
    800-531-6597
    800-531-8722

I only wish my years of recovering crashed V-22 Osprey's and others counted as "Military Service" however the USAF CAP is NOT covered, boo hoo for me..

Good Luck
    DrVette
  • That's a good grand cheaper than NW Ga or Chattanooga pricing.
  • drvettedrvette Posts: 99
    edited December 2011
    The Atlanta area, is the ABSOLUTE worst area in the SE USA to buy a GM..

They attempt to get yoiu to accept a $500~ "discount" because of the limited availability of the Cruze. BULL SH**

The Cruze is in Full production, check out these dealer inventories,

Quote,

Your Search Returned the Following,
    "www.cars.com
    1313 New 2012 Chevrolet Cruze models within 150 miles of your ZIP, 3016*

autotrader.com found 1580 within 200 miles of my Zip here in NW Ga

Real Low inventory there Guys,, uh-huh, Yeah, Right.

I wanted a Cruze bad, but the run-around, back-room snickers, insulting offers and in general insults to my intelligence has me wadding my money back up into a CD and back to the bank.
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    Not sure what it's like in the atlanta area as far as the cruze inventory goes but down here in south fla they have plenty.i was at maroone chevrolet in pemb pines flordia a few days ago looking at malibus and cruze's and must have counted atleast 30 cruze's on the lot in different colors and models.no shortage down here.
    a more important metric to see the supply vs demand for a car is not the raw inventory number but the avg # of days each vehicle stays on the lot. for example, there may be 1313 cars within 100 miles that match what you want, but they could all be in-process of being sold to 1313 people each of whom has put down a deposit.

whatever. what's to argue about? get the best bargain you can, of course.
  • A reporter is looking to interview midsize or small car owners who recently switched from Honda or Toyota to Chrysler, Ford or GM. Email pr@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, January 5, 2012 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your decision and your experience so far.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Lots of inventory in NORCAL from what I could see.
    Picked this gem up the other day.
    MSRP: 20905
    PRICE: 19798

Came with convenience package of remote start and power driver seat.
    So far so good with the car. Roomy, comfortable and quiet.

Used a $2000 topped up rebate for having a GM card plus $500 for owning another GM vehicle. Not a bad deal at all.
  • How do you get the GM card rebate? Is it just the 5% cash back on the card for buying a GM vehicle? Or is it $2000 on top of the 5% on the card?
  • Are you a 20-something who recently bought a new car or who is right now in the market for a new car? A reporter is looking to talk with young Americans to see what they are looking for in their next new vehicle. Please contact pr@edmunds.com with contact information and a brief description of your experience by Friday, January 20, 2012.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I've only been a GM card holder for a few months. A couple of weeks ago I got a post card in the mail saying they topped me up to 2K until 2/29/12. I read some people got 3K. Don't know if it is from status or regional for the variance. All I know is an extra 2K off a cruze is a pretty good deal in itself. Throw in USAA on top of the deal you make with the salesman and it makes for a pretty good savings.
  • If you recently considered a hybrid but decided on a fuel-efficient non-hybrid instead, please email pr@edmunds.com by Friday, February 3, 2011 to share your story.
    Please include your daytime contact information and a few words about the decision you made.

• MSRP 20200 (Base 1LT Automatic)
    -700 Negotiated reduction
    -750 USAA discount
    -3000 Topped off GM Earnings (allowance limits waived until 2/29!)
    -1800 (24 month Ally lease incentive)
    =$13950 Final Price for lease

1% lease factor and 60% Residual value left me with a $93/month payment after paying $1020 for lease fee, tax, title, tags...:-)