Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 BMW 5 Series - Alignment Problems (pulling to right)

Comments

• Wow! I just had the same experience while test driving the 535! I told the salesman riding with me that the car was pulling to the right and seamed to driving a little rough. I had a better experience a few weeks earlier driving the 528, which I actually like a lot.

Good post!
  • Well beware of the 528I...as that is what I have and as you can read back through this trail has not been a pleasant experience.

Just got my car back again after BMW having for a week and which they applied the "so called" software fix and which BMW Corp Technician signed off saying "all good". Well I'm here to tell you....not so good, the car still pulls to the right!

Still no return call from BMW Corp after 3 messages. Not sure what will happen from here as waiting for the dealership Service Manager to call me. Sending certified letter today to BMW Corp requesting buy back.
  • bfvbfv Posts: 5
    I see many consumers complaining about alignment problems. Thereafter, I read many reviews about the car from so called "Pros", NONE of them mentioned about car pulling to the right side. I wonder how much they get paid to generate a descent review??? This is quite FRUSTATING.....as before you visit dealership, you waste hours going through the reviews......fall in love with the car....only to find out its faulty !! :mad:
  • So the story goes on. Finally got a call from BMW Corp this evening after 5 messages and they called to tell me to quit calling them!!! Amazing! Told me to deal with the dealership I bought the car from and the dealership could call them if necessary.

Taking car back tomorrow....doing a test drive with the Service Manager and Sr. Service Tech to proof that I am not crazy and the car is still jacked.

I am very curious if only cars manufacturing during a certain period have this problem, as I really love the car but not willing to have my car be BMW Corp's science project to figure out a fix for their corp purposes.
  • Dang, I should have reviewed this alignment issue before I drove out the new 2011 528 last Saturday. I complained to the sale rep about "steering pulling to the right" during test drive. He told me that it just needs software fix or adjustment. I assumed that the "QUALITY" BMW has the resolution already for this DEFECT. Apparently they don't. The issue still exists after I took the car home. I am really disappointed and mad. BMW is supposed to provide quality cars to consumers. They should have stopped selling this type of defect vehicle until the issue is fixed. What a shame to them.
  • I also purchased a 2011 528 bmw and have the same pulling to the right problem that the rest of you are talking about. I was told that it is a software problem and the dealer will have the software at the end of the month. But my car also has ANOTHER PROBLEM! The settings in the display screen have changed to Dutch instead of English and this is the second time in less than a month that this has happened. They said a software problem, seems to be what everything is today. They fixed it and it was fine for 2 weeks and now happened again. I want to CUSTOMIZE my BMW to speak ENGLISH!!!!!I Has anyone else had this problem??? Please respond. :mad:
  • Just so you know BMW does not apply the "so called" software fix until they have played with the struts, tires & springs on your car...if the car is not corrected after that than they apply the software fix.

My car (2011 528i) seems to be much better, but I still feel their is problems with the stering column. Really not sure what to do at this point.

BMW Corp will NOT get involved...as I mentioned before they told me to stop calling. Might be because they BMW North America Customer Service already has an "F" rating with Better Business Bureu (I am not joking). Thank god for my dealership which is awesome. They are completely working with me to get resolved or indicated they will be my biggest supporter to help get the car returned.

To all that have bought a 2011 5 Series - I seriously hope you bought from a creditable and customer service orientented dealership, because BMW NA will do NOTHING to help you!!!
  • The software fix is out - on my repair order it reads "Puma Case #XXXXXX set up for IRAP Session"...this is lingo is Greek to me, but that it what BMW calls it. Additionally, prior to installing the software fix...they (again quoting from my work order) "Performed front axle adjustments, removed and reinstalled both complete front springs struts with new positioning specs".
  • Is this a NEW software fix, or the same one you previously reported? I'm curious to know if owners are finally getting satisfactory resolution to this issue.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• sorry to hear about your continuing alignment problem, and the sorry state of affairs
    re BMW North America's horrible customer service, which I also experienced. I was
    lucky...returned my 535i Lemon, and got my money back after almost 8 weeks of
    trying to get straight answers. I think that we should all alert the media re the alignment problems, and the shoddy way we all were treated by BMW NAmerica.
    Their reputation is not deserved, despite the advertising blitz they are doing. Public deserves the Truth, so lets get going by calling, writing, emailing all the auto mags, and newspaper features that have built up the 535i and BMW...the truth hurts, but it
    may bring about a dramatic change in their quality control, as well as their Customer
    Service. Its worth a try, especial;ly since the 535i SHOULD be making all of us Happy, instead of angry, frustrated and sad...it is potentially a great car.
  • I'm interested to find out if BMW has been able to 'fix' anyone's 2011 BMW that is pulling to the right. Also, would like advice on process for getting BMW to buy back the car. I too bought a 2011 BMW 535i and it is now in for repair for the third time. The first time, wheels were aligned and tires rotated. (2 days) No change. The second time, struts and springs were replaced, a software fix applied, wheels aligned, tires rotated...(5 days) AND no change. At that point they said they had done all they knew to do and I asked in writing for a 'buy back.' The reply was that they had to be given four chances to repair it before the Lemon Law applied. It is now in for the third time and the steering shaft is being replaced. I am very uncomfortable with all of these experimental repairs. I also have issues with the voice on the navigation system being too low and the radio has words for the channels instead of numbers (random words like 'air', 'the', 'station', 'luke', etc.) The Lemon Law in Oklahoma is 'four times in for repair' or a total of 30 days (within one year of purchase). I agree with another post that we shouldn't have to be subjected to BMWs engineering science experiment after spending this much money on a new vehicle. If anyone's story has ended in success, please advise. BMW's commercial just came on the TV and states "Everything is perfectly engineered -- everything is perfectly balanced." Maybe the media would be interested in our story!!
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    I don't think there is a 'national' lemon law, so call your state people or read the text of the one that was adopted by your state (assuming it has one, most do). It will state what has to happen, and how to step through the right hoops to make it happen. Keep good documentation, it could take awhile.
  • ado5ado5 Posts: 3
    This is my worst nightmare experience with BMW 2011 535I: I bought it from southern California BMW dealer in the afternoon. The next morning I found there are so far 5 defects:
    1. windshield water leaking
    2. Bad leather seat (small hole on the driver's leather seat edge)
    3. Uneven gap between hood and bumper
    4. Missing haft of the black sticker on the driver side, don't even know when the car was born
    5. The trunk is hard to close (try 5-6 times before it can be closed)

I think this car subjects to "buy back" or "lemon". If anyone can provide information to help me out "how to" process for "buy back" or "lemon".

As today, the car is in the dealer service. Service consultant told me that he has to wait for BMW North America coming over to inspect the black sticker. He also told me that he has to order the leather seat, which will take at least a month to deliver from Germany.

I am very upset with the situation. I do not know why BMW delivering the worst 50K car to the consumers...
    Thanks,
    Most lemon laws are triggered by a problem being unfixed after multiple attempts, or the vehicle being out of service at the dealer's for more than x number of days. Your one attempt to resolve delivery issues (it's always a good idea to check the car before you sign on the bottom line, and a good dealer should have fixed the obvious things before he offered it for delivery!) does not constitute grounds for activating the lemon law. Now, if they can't fix things within the prescribed timeframe, then you have grounds to return it. Until then, there is no legal recourse until you've triggered the steps in the law. That law should be available on your state's DMV website or attorney general's page.
  • I recently returned my 2011 535i to BMW north america, and received a refund. I followed the Lemon Law procedure in my state...the most important thing is to NOT let the dealer discharge the car to you, until you see that EVERYTHING has been fixed or replaced to your 100% satisfaction. In this way, you can maximize the number of days the car was "out of service", which is usually a requirement of Lemon Laws. LEAVE CAR at Dealer/repair facility..do not take it back until all has been rectified. Consult your state's Motor vehicle dept to follow Lemon Law, and prepare for a semi long effort(mine took almost 2 months). If I was you I'd try and return car NOW....I just got a Jaguar, and am very pleased.
  • Dont listen to the dealer telling you about Lemon Law details...talk to someone at your state's motor vehicle department to get the straight scoop...they also usually have a booklet or online download with details. Also...DO NOT let the dealer release car to you before you road test/inspect car to see if ALL defects were fixed, otherwise...let them keep it and start repair "process" all over again. This will help your case if you seek to give car back...the more time "out of service" the better. Sound to me like you have a real lemon...try and return it..I did, and am quite happy with another top quality car just leased. Good Luck
    BMW service dealer called and told me they have fixed the trunk, the hood, and water leak. They will need to order the leather seat, it will take awhile because the part is not available now. It will need to be made and shipped from Germany. BMW North America rep will come to the dealer, inspect the car and check the black sticker. They do not know if the Rep will replace the new sticker or not. Service dealer told me they do not keep the car and order the part for couple of months because the car is still able to be driving. They told me that I have to pick up the car next week. I am not sure what I should do... seeking for advise.
    Thanks,
    Ado5
    A small defect in the seat covering is not a safety hazard or something that will change the way it drives or handles. Things happen. You hope they are small and fixable. You also hope that they are caught before delivery, but that doesn't always happen. If everything else has been fixed, I'd chill.
    The black ticker contains information like the car's birth certificate. Without that sticker, it is hard if I want to sell the car in the future because buyer will think the car got into some kind of accident and the door has been replaced. I don't think BMW North America can issue the sticker. It has to issue from German where the part is made.
  • I bought my 2011 528i 4 weeks ago. On my trip home I noticed the vehicle pulling to the right, I called my sales person during my ride home and told him. He said bring it in tomorrow. I did and service said the same thing, they are having this issue with this car. They did not even look at it. Then took my name, said they would call me once they have a fix and sent me on my way.

My bigger concern is that my car hesitates when accelerating after decelerating or stopping. Especially when I am in freeway traffic, I slow down and then want to speed up and there is nothing for a second or two. It sits there thinking what it should do and has nearly caused me to get rear ended when I changed lanes and could not move out of the way from the car behind me. Wife will not drive the car anymore. Took it into the shop for the second time on both. I will let you know what they say. Anyone else have this hesitation issue? Thanks