Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• You wouldn't happen to be near Ft. Myers, would you? I'm in Central Fla. near Tampa, and I can't find a dealer with a 5 speed Pewter GT with moonroof and ABS. Wondering if you, or anyone else has heard when Hyundai expects to begin shipping these in higher quantity, or if I should just go locally and place an order for one....
  • compensatecompensate Posts: 212
    I would recommend that you ask a dealer/salesperson at one Hyundia dealership to see if they can locate the exact car you want on another dealer's lot. If this dealer seems unwilling to make the effort, go on to the next Hyundai dealer and let them know about your experience at the previous dealer and see if they can locate a car for you.

I used this ploy. Although I ended up buying at the original local dealer, the other dealer (about 50 miles away) found the exact car I wanted by checking around. Give the dealer a few days and they'll likely find what you want.
  • Thanks for the suggestion. Interestingly enough, this afternoon I was able to locate the exact car I want -- only about 50 miles away. Worth the drive to me so that I can possibly get it this weekend... I'll post if I end up getting the car. Sure am going to miss my Saab though....
  • uryourworduryourword Posts: 12
    We love our GT! There is one recurring problem: The cd player often refuses to eject. Error 2 shows up on the display briefly. When this happens, I can't listen to the cd either! Very frustrating. With a little tinkering it eventually ejects. Anyone else have this problem? Oh and we got our first "ding", on the hood. I wanted to kill somebody, but I've gotten over it. The first dent is the WORST!
  • I bought mud flaps from my dealer's parts department and had no trouble fitting the rear ones. They did seem to fit easier if I put the inner most bolt in first and then the others. I think the rear flaps were specific to the GT (5 door) on the paperwork that was in the package. The front flaps had both sedan and 5 door listed together. As for the air deflector problem, I am going to the dealer on Monday. The parts manager called Hyundai and they said to install a deflector for the Sonata. I hope this one fits correctly. Keep you posted.
  • Yes, I am from Pittsburgh. I still haven't seen any other GT's on the road around here yet.
  • saileanusaileanu Posts: 5
    and NOT just the airbags failing - look at the whole thing - it's "Marginal" even if the airbags were working right!

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_small.htm

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    You must not have looked at the results yourself. What is so "marginal" about the whole thing? The structure was rated good, just like the Honda Civic. The only problem was the airbag. Sorry, look at the test again. You were mistaken. If the airbag had performed properly, the car would have been rated acceptable. Anyone else getting tired of people pretending to think they know how a car performs when all they look at are a few red dots and refuse to see the whole picture? I know I am.
  • pedennisonpedennison Posts: 21
    I remember a couple of people writing posts about the missing remote hatch release on the GT. I received a letter in the mail today from HMA that says the following:

"HMA determined that an error was made on some 2001 Elantra GT Monroney price labels. The Monroney label, as was posted on the window of your vehicle, indicated that your 2001 Hyundai Elantra GT is equipped with a "remote hatch release". The Elantra GT is not equipped with this mechanism. We regret this error and wish to compensate you $100.00 for an inconvenience this may have caused."

It asks for a signature and says HMA will send the check in 2-4 weeks. While it isn't a $500 dollar rebate, I'll take it. I knew there wasn't a remote hatch release when I bought it. For those who have bought your GT in the last few weeks, is the remote hatch release still on the sticker?
  • craynericrayneri Posts: 15
    I read your link, the Honda Civic destroyed the Elantra in safety. The Hyundai is a better deal out the door, but the money you save should be spent on helmets.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    Each of the poor ratings was due to the malfunctioning sensors combined with the seat track. Structure rated good, like the Civic.

The leg injuries were something else again and would have occured even if the sensors worked adequately. Because of this, the Civic would have out pointed the Elantra (except for bumper damage), but not by much. Hopefully Hyundai will do a voluntary recall on the sensors and seat track.

This was a voluntary retest, and the cars actually performed worse than the first go around, again because of the sensors, the head hit THEN the bags went off. Fix that and Hyundai will be in the top half of the ratings, altho. not up with the Civic.
  • craynericrayneri Posts: 15
    Although I will probably still buy a GT, the results have made me decide to wait a year. The test results to me indicate more than just replacing sensors, and seat tracks. I can assure you that even replacing those, the Elantra would remain below par.

Unfortunately, the safety results arent really a competiition between the cars. It is an independent evaluation of each individual car. They ALL could have rated excellent. The fact that the civic has such good scores, indicates that the Hyundai can be much closer to those results regardless of vehicle size.

There is some engineering that needs to be done, and hopefully soon. I wouldn't mind paying $1000 more for the same car, but with much better results.
  • therhinotherhino Posts: 21
    cjaccetta: as you probably know, you put one lugnut on each wheel, they are chrome so they match the existing lugnuts, but they protude just a little bit farther, although I don't think it's noticeable. I feel better knowing that my rims won't get taken...just don't lose the 'key'tool.

triumphtriple: actually I bought both my Elantra's at Fort Myers Hyundai ( I live in Cape Coral ). I wanted the Pewter too, but I didn't want to wait for it, I like the cranberry now that I've gotten used to it. Let us know if you get the car you want...
  • cjaccettacjaccetta Posts: 236
    the Hyundai Elantra got a 'poor' safety rating from the IIHS?!?! Geez, I never knew that! Were those results just released?

Well, that settles it. I'm going to rush right out and sell my Elantra GT to some poor sucker, take the money and go straight down to the Honda lot and plunk down $16,000 for a Civic. Then I won't ever have to worry about ever being harmed in any kind of accident. Yeah, I might pay close to MSRP for the car, but I sure wouldn't want to have anyone second-guessing my purchase for me.

What the heck was I thinking when I bought that deathtrap Elantra?!? I must have been looking for a value-laden car with more features and perfomance for the dollar than almost any other compact Asian import. Well, no more well-built highly practical Korean cars for me! I've sure learned my lesson!

Thanks again to all the posters who keep chiming in with 10-day-old safety stories in this thread. You've finally shown me the error of my ways. Hyundai stinks! Look for me in my new car....

I'll be the one driving the Civic.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,717
    There's another solution! Do what I did, and attach a heavily padded cover to your steering wheel. Sure it's hard to grip the wheel and it's really hard to see out the windshield, let alone see the gauges, but at least if your driver's airbag inflates late your head will hit something soft.

I am considering going into business to sell these padded covers. They will be black to match the Elantra's steering wheel, and will be filled with energy (and heat) absorbing gel. I don't have a price yet, but given all the ranting and raving on this forum about the airbag problem, I can probably get a lot for it--at least until Hyundai fixes the airbag problem. Well, I'd better get going and line up my venture capital.

Just to be sure: :)
  • mattwamattwa Posts: 16
    Well, I pushed the rear seat release too far and now it won't reset. I looked up above for the fix but couldn't find it. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    Did the same. My fix is to just let the dealer take care of it when I take it back for one of the 10 free oil changes they gave me as part of the deal.

As to the Civic....considering that side air bags and ABS are standard only on the EX, and that you can't even get traction control.....I am not so sure I would think I was so safe. I really wanted to buy a Honda, but the Civic's interior was one hellacious disappointment to me in terms of driver comfort and amenities.
  • I thought you might be near Ft. Myers....I had called them to find out what they had in stock down there and a previous post of yours sounded familiar (cranberry, and two black ones, or vice versa).
    Well, I came home with my new GT on Saturday. Got the exact car I wanted (pewter, 5spd., moonroof), although without ABS. Ended up finding it in Orlando (I'm in Lakeland), having just come off a truck on Thursday night. It still had all the plastic on the seats, etc. from transport, and I was the first to drive it (it had 9 miles on the odometer...). So far, so good -- although I asked for a cargo net as part of the deal and they looked at me like I was nuts. They ended up throwing a cargo net in, but I'm not sure it's a Hyundai net -- it might be from a Jeep. Anyway, I have no way to anchor it into the car --- any suggestions? Or, should I go to my local dealer and pick up the anchor mounts? Didn't realize they were missing until I got home....
    Paid invoice for the car, so I feel like I got a good deal. Now to sell off my other two cars... Anyone interested in an 87 Saab Turbo 3dr, or a 74 Porsche 911?
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Posts: 1,339
    1974 911? What version, and what kind of condition is it in?
  • Silver bullet -- it's a white coupe (not an "S", or a targa) with a Carrera tail. I had the car disassembled, stripped to bare metal and repainted about 5 years ago. I'll be happy to discuss with you if you like -- my email is kstahl911@yahoo.com
  • I don't feel so l337 anymore. I saw another pewter last Tuesday driving home from work, and then I saw 2 (cranberry,black) on Saturday.

I did feel special for a little while. We were all honking at each other cause we had that car, so that was cool. I'm going to take some pics along with my new CD player and I'll try to post them in the Picture Section by the weekend.
  • williadaywilliaday Posts: 10
    The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration give both Civic (4-Dr) and Elantra (4-Dr) similar (Civic got one star more in the front drivers while the Elantra got the extra nudge in front side impact) ratings.

I guess it all depends on who is running the tests.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/2001Cmpt.html

• You are incorrect when you say "I guess it all depends on who is running the tests." The tests by the NHTSA are full frontal at 35 mph, whereas the one by the IIHS is an offset test at 40 mph. Not at all the same thing.

I think the ball really is in Hyundai's court to fix these problems and move on with it. I know that I'm more than willing to wait a few months to see how things turn out.

If you look at the real alternatives to the Elantra GT (performance and equipment) you are talking about shelling out several thousands of dollars (Canadian!) more. A couple of examples I'm considering are the VW Golf GLS and the Subaru Outback Sport. These are great cars, but saving those extra $$$ would mean alot to me.

If Hyundai would only get its act together, I think a safer Elantra GT would certainly be worth waiting for.
    Just got a letter from Hyundai apologizing that some GT Monroney stickers incorrectly listed a remote hatch release as standard equipment. Not even asking if mine was one of them, they are sending a check for $100 for the inconvenience. Give them a chance to make a decision regarding the crash testing. So far I am impressed.
  • cyanogelcyanogel Posts: 11
    What's the difference between full frontal and offset tests?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,717
    In a full frontal test, the car hits the barrier head-on (i.e. at a right angle). In an offset test, the car hits the barrier at a non-right angle, so one corner takes more of the impact.
    Just slam the seat back into position and PRESTO! the button pops back up!
  • I picked up my new GT today (ABS/TC, automatic) and managed to jam the button all the way in during the pickup checkout. He had to drive it back into service to get them to fix it. What a pain it is -- first of all the button should never go down that far, second it should be easier to open the stupid seats without having to push so hard! But that, and maybe the fact that there does not seem to be a way to unlock the driver's door and not all of the others (has Hyundai never heard of the problem a while back where thieves would hide on the passenger side and climb in when the doors were unlocked?) I really like the car (not to mention that I paid $15,300 for the car, which was invoice).

Bill
    The button only needs to be depressed a little to release the seat back. It only jams when you are too aggressive with pressure. If you push it too far down and it sticks, just slam the seat back into place and it will pop back up. Works every time for me. As to the power doors, will the key just open the driver's side or does it act the same way as the remote? Haven't tried it yet. As to the carjacking, just walk around your car and look inside before getting in.
  • compensatecompensate Posts: 212
    Good advice about the seatback release buttons and door unlocking.

By the way, knowing you drive a lot of miles (surprised to find someone who puts more miles on a car than I do), how many miles do you have on your GT now? Any new problems yet?