Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    3 weeks....2200 miles....how do you think I put 320,800 on my Festiva? GT is one great car! Super high seating position....I'm 5'11' and even with the moonroof, you can really see out over the hood.

Impressions:

1. Just got 36.5 mpg pure highway, A/C on, cruising between 70-80 for 200 miles.

2. Getting 27-30 in mixed driving with light foot.

3. Noticed no sunglass holder with the roof.

4. One of the rear seat back buttons stuck...pushed it in too far....others had similar experiences.

5. No rattles...but you could use velcro and felt to stop the shoulder belt rattle on the doorpost.

6. Gas gauge on last fill-up stopped at 7/8s and I know it was full.

7. My friend who owns a Passat was blown away.

8. The guys at the inspection station couldn't stop from coming over and checking it out.

9. No one can believe all of the standard equipment.

10. Oil level just below full at 2,100.

11. Should be a warning chime in addition to the dash light if you leave the parking brake on.

12. Darn engine is so quiet at idle I have to keep myself from trying to restart it.
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    the latest issue of Time magazine has a good article on Hyundai.
  • bri70bri70 Posts: 147
    The transformation is complete. With Time's good article on Hyundai, I doubt anyone will be snickering now.

I did think it would take another 3 years. What a turnaround. The downside will be higher prices.
  • estoesto Posts: 136
    Have any of you seen any dealer ads in newspapers for the GT yet? I'm in Portland OR, and have seen no sign of Hyundai dealer ads with the GT in them. There are plenty of ads for the Protege5 (I even saw one with a price), but zip for the GT.

Erik
  • cjaccettacjaccetta Posts: 236
    ...on mpgman to be the first GT owner to have his Hyundai 100,000 mile powertrain warranty expire. How the heck did you put so many miles on your car in just three weeks?!?

I've put over 1,400 on in about one month and I drive 50+ miles per day. Now I am starting to realize why mpgman picked the username that he did... :)

Happy Motoring
  • Has anyone in the SF Bay Area purchased a GT? If so, where, and how much, and through which salesperson? I think I am going to take the plunge after being less than impressed with Hondas, Corollas, etc. Have not seen any on the road here.

In truth the Elantra GT is the only car in my price range that I actually really liked after test-driving. One very annoying thing I did notice was that the sun visor, when folded down, obstructs the rearview mirror substantially -- so much that you need to unhook it and push it back or else you can't see anything. But otherwise, I really like how the black one looked, the nice handle on the hatch, all the options, etc.
  • pedennisonpedennison Posts: 21
    I just got back from a week-long trip that put 2400 miles on my new GT. I averaged 31-32 mpg on the highway driving between 70 and 80 mph. I hit the end of the 1200 mile break-in period just before I left, so I didn't have to feel guilty about driving fast. In the mountains I averaged 29 mpg, although on one long downhill I was able to max out the mpg computer at 99.9. The adjustable lumbar on the driver's seat was a godsend after 10 hours in the car. I am still impressed how quiet this car is. Except for on-ramps, engine noise was barely noticeable. I couldn't detect any wind noise, even above 90. My only complaints about the GT's road trip abilities: heavier steering wore me out on winding mountain roads and I wish the headrest were a tad softer.
    Even up to now I still haven't seen a Hyundai Santa Fe in local dealers's ads. Judging from the demand of the Santa Fe and GT, I doubt if you'll see your local dealers wasting their money advertising the vehicles. It's logical- why even bother with ads when people are willing to come on their own to look at the vehicles?
    Driving back and forth from NY/NJ to DC every week plus local honey-do's will pile up the miles. Maybe I should have bought the extended 10/100 bumper to bumper but I thought the $995 was steep and the dealer didn't want to come down. Maybe the miles is less important than the time. Anyway, I like this car more and more and am convinced so far that I made the right decision to take this over the Pro-5. Seating comfort is paramount to me and I think the driver seating is better than some cars at $10k more. It's rare to get manual adjusters that do as much as power seats. Now you know how I put over 300k on the Festiva.
    Not sure how you are driving or what the terrain is like. I take off with a light foot and try to make the shifts on the automatic undetectable. Cruising between 70-80, I have gotten 33 or better at least 4 times. I also watch the trip computer, which is a neat indicator of how much you are depressing the gas pedal. You may not want to drive that way.....it works for me though. Keep in mind that the GT is not a little econobox. It also has a rather hefty 4 banger with a decent output for hp and torque. That and and a body weight of close to 3,000 pounds hurts mileage. I'd love to see a 5 speed auto with a really deep 5th gear overdrive for true flat terrain high speed cruising. The 5 speed manual revs higher than then auto so I doubt the mpg in that is much better.
  • tucsonaztucsonaz Posts: 1
    I spent the past 2 weeks researching and test driving the Civic, Jetta and Focus. I was looking for a commuter which had high safety ratings, fairly good performance and could be bought for less than 20K, preferably closer to 15K. After being disappointed by the engine performance of the Civic, the price of the Jetta, the less than refined interior of the Focus, I was encouraged by a Honda/Hyundai dealer to take a look at the Hyundai, which I vowed early on not to bother with... after all, it was a Hyundai.

I was surprised that I found it so highly rated by NHTSA and then re-read the compact reviews realized that it had received very high, albeit guarded, reviews. Just hadn't noticed because of the roundabout way the reviewers talked about it.. plenty of disclaimers, etc. Ok... so I decided to look at an Elantra. Took a test drive. Saw the GT (Silver, 5spd, base pkg). Bought it on the spot for not much over invoice.

The ride is as good as the Jetta, better than the others. The engine has better performance than all of the others (Jetta base engine only... the higher end engines on the Jetta are superb, but bump the price to over 20K with tax). And, after driving it both city and highway I truly believe the 140 hp rating. The torque is adequate for the size of the car as well, unlike the other engines I've driven in the past few weeks. Acceleration is no problem at all.

Very comfortable handling. I personally like a bit more road feel, which the Jetta provides, but I'll take the slight increase in comfort on the Elantra's ride as a fair trade-off. The Civic felt a bit more precise in handling, and the Focus was even better, but not a significant enough difference to make me second guess my decision.

The interior is only slightly less refined than the Jetta's (although the base Jetta doesn't even have a center arm-rest), as good as the Civic and better than the Focus.

The transmission is smooth... not as much clutch/engine "feel" as with the Jetta 5 spd, but better responsiveness than the Focus and Civic. A little slow into 1st gear from a stop, but so far that's the only negative.

What a great car. I'm pleased to say the least and although I may be taking a chance with an unproven vehicle, the 5 yr-60K/10 yr-100K warranty certainly makes me willing to entertain the risk.

As for resale value... who knows. But since I plan to keep the vehicle for several years, it doesn't really matter much. Reliability will be the big factor for me in the long run, and, after reading about all of the major service issues people have been having this year with the Jetta (my previous first choice in terms of overall value), I'm willing to take the risk.

Oh, and I almost forgot... this particular risk just saved me about 6K.
    Congratulations! You have just discovered the best kept $15k secret in the new car lots.
    Welcome into the GT fold, tucsonaz. Sounds like you got a nice price. In my state (NJ) the GTs seem to be selling for close to MSRP because of high demand.

You're gonna love your car. Especially the A/C, which is colder than a witch's...

Good luck with your new ride.
  • mattwamattwa Posts: 16
    Maybe the best under $20k secret . . .

(One other thing I really like about the GT
    - location of the cupholders. Did anyone
    else think the Jetta cupholders up under
    the front vents were going to be a
    problem?)
    Maybe VW thought the A/C would help keep sodas cool. They wouldn't do much for coffee though...unless it was from Mickey D's.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I just bought a new Protege about five months ago. I should have waited for the Elantra! I didn't ever think a Hyundai would commend such high praise, reliability (short-term, but still), and safety ratings as the Elantra does. All the car magazines are raving their heads off! It might be worth a shot to check about a trade-in for me. I will definitely have to check into it.
    I went back and forth between the two before getting the GT. The Pro-5 is a nice car, so I wouldn't be too upset. Hyundai just really outdid themselves with the GT, especially at the price they are charging. I would think that Pro-5s are hot enough as to where you could get a real good price privately.
    I still haven't seen one on the road. My local dealer had a single one last time I drove by, but that was my only real life encounter with the GT.
  • estoesto Posts: 136
    From what I understand, the seats in the GT have "leather seating surfaces". If so, what is the rest of the seat made of? Is it vinyl? If so, isn't that prone to tearing/ripping? I sure wish I could get the GT without leather (and ABS without a hole in the roof).

Erik
    The seat surfaces are leather, as are the sides, headrests and the top part of the seatback. There is a small cloth insert where the folding mechanism is located. The bottom part of the seatback is a heavy plastic. It should be good at resisting scuffs from the rear-seat passengers. There is also a magazine pocket on the plastic portion.

The entire seat is pretty sturdy -- the leather looks like it will stand up well. The grey color also disguises minor marks and/or stains.