Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• zigratzigrat Posts: 3
    hi,
    thanks for the tip. the mirrors DO give a good view. i have just gotten used to always looking "over the shoulder" and i almost never look at the mirrors except mabye when parallel parking. from now on i will tru to use my mirrors rather than looking with my head.
  • wmoses said --

"The only thing that I can say regarding the GT's visibility, is that the trunk lid is a bit high and I have a spoiler as well which takes a little out of my rearward visibility."

Where did you find a spoiler for the GT? Do you have pictures?

Thanx!
  • Hello all,
    Some time ago, someone posted a link to online technical manuals for Hyundai cars. Could someone re-post that link please?

Thank you.
  • wmoseswmoses Posts: 212
    rfernatt asked --

"Where did you find a spoiler for the GT? Do you have pictures?"

I got the spoiler from the dealer. I asked them to stick one one and tint the windows and both came up to an extra $450.

I have been waiting for the right time to take some photos of my car and will do so soon. I am putting together a website on the GT, and I will have mine pictured for a start.

In the meanwhile you can see a photo of my car with the spoiler at:

http://www.geocities.com/wa_moses/elantra_gt/elantra_gt.jpg

• amcdan1amcdan1 Posts: 14
    Good point about my "wish list" coming in the 03 Tiburon. Like you, I'm just looking for a performance boost to distinguish the GT from the GLS.

By the way, can't get the link to you car pic to work.
    amcdan1 said --

"By the way, can't get the link to you car pic to work."

Just try

http://www.geocities.com/wa_moses/elantra_gt/

and when you see the directory listing, click on the .jpg file and you should see the picture.

I suspect that Yahoo! Geocities is having some "issues" at the moment, because I typed in the same URL as the one I gave you and it worked. I then did a refresh, and it didn't.

• Nice Spoiler Rfernatt, I have a spoiler on my GT, but my spoiler is different. I will post a picture once I get my camera batteries charged, should have the pic up tonight or tommrrow.
  • My wife and I decided on the Elantra GT after checking both of them out and driving them. The GT just had a lot more going for it. Tons of room for a small car. We wanted silver with ABS, but was unable to find one anywhere in the mid-west, so ended up with red. It is automatic (wife can't shift, and I wont live long enough to teach her) sun roof etc. We have 500 miles on it, and we picked it up Friday Jan 11th. Our first fillup gave us a 32.7 miles per gallon. My wife tends to have a heavy foot, so I warned her that the police tend to watch bright red sporty looking cars. I was stopped in town for doing 40 in a 30 zone. Got off with a warning since I had only gotten the car about ten hours before. It seems to be a great little car that is fun to drive and doesn't ride quite as well or is as quiet as our 2001 GX300, but what would! I would recommend Hyundai and the dealership that we bought it from in Iowa City to anyone.
  • That was good advice about the side mirrors--thanks. I, too, was guilty of having a small part of the side of my car in the mirror, but I see the improvement now. It is strange at first because I was so used to seeing down the side of my car and behind me, and now I don't. I have noticed that I can see cars coming around me in my mirrors all the way until they get beside me now. When the car disappears from the rear view mirror, it is in full view of my side mirror--yet I can't see it next to me at all. When it pulls forward more and comes out of the side mirror, I can see it out of the corner of my eye next to me. This has been the most helpful thing I have gotten out of these boards.
  • Regarding your post, I live in New City, and dlrs u mentioned are same as mine. I got a price frm Rockland Plaza for about $14,800. for GT w/auto. The salesperson was very nice, I bought my Santa Fe frm dlr Rt 119, White Plains. Sales was o.k. but parts dept was way out of line price wise. Anyone else in NYC metro area have prices for GT w/auto.
    Thanks for all the great info. Hyundai owners are so intelligent and thoughtful.
  • amcdan1amcdan1 Posts: 14
    The spoiler adds a nice touch.

jim7heaven7 - looking forward to seeing your car pic.
  • estoesto Posts: 136
    Does anyone else share the impression that the GT's seats are hard?
    I went on a short test drive a little while ago, and that's the biggest thing
    I remember. Did you have the same impression at first? Do they get softer
    as they're worn in, or do you just get used to it?

Erik
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    You shouldn't really buy a car with the hopes of getting used to seats that you think are hard. I did that once, and was in misery for about 2 years after that until I finally traded the car in.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,686
    Were the seats hard, or uncomfortable? I agree the seats on the GT (and GLS, which I own) feel firm compared to some other cars. I also think the Elantra has the most comfortable seats in its class. If you like the GT otherwise, you might arrange to take it on an extended test drive or, better yet, rent one for a weekend and take a trip (Hertz at the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport had some as of a few months ago, perhaps other rental places have them too). If they don't feel right to you after a day or two of driving, likely they will never feel right.
  • wmoses:

Thanks for the pic and look forward to the site being up...

I'm looking at an Elantra GT to replace my '99 Maxima SE when the lease is up this April, but I hadn't seen a GT with a spoiler.

Thanks again.
  • I had no problem at all getting into the picture of your great looking GT. You have the color that we wanted, but could not find here in the midwest. We also wante ABS, but couldn't find that either. What did the spoiler cost, if you don't mind me asking. I am not interested in tinted glass, but the spoiler really looks sharp. As I am sure you know, they are not functional at all, but they certainly add to the looks. Those that are having problems with the side mirrors, since the Elantras have electric mirrors, all you have to do is positions them as you see someone coming up on you on which ever side, and once you have them where you can see them as you wish, leave that setting there. The only thing that can mess this up is if somone else drive the car and set them to the way they want them. As mentioned, if you can see part of your car in the mirror, you don't have them set properly. That is why I suggest doing it once when someone is coming up on either side so you can get it exactly where you are comfortable with it.
    captstark asked --

"What did the spoiler cost, if you don't mind me asking."

Not at all. Apparewntly it costs about $450 but the dealer gave it to me for their cost $350. The tinted glass was $100.

My GT was a sort of one-off since I told the salesman that I wanted a manual and ABS and that he should call me when one came in (as he had none with that configuration at the time).

One week later he called to say that it had just come in -- one only like that -- and that he set it aside for me. I went that night, checked it out and finalized the deal. Even got him to throw in a trunk net.

I agree about the spoiler -- totally useless at that size and configuration on a street car. One does not go fast enough and even so, on a front wheel drive car you don't want a significant weight shift aft.

Still it makes the tail end look a bit nicer.
    I can't get the link to jim7heaven7's spoiler photo to work.
  • I got the link to jim7heaven7's picture to work in IE5.5 by opening the link in a new window, letting it fail, and then changing the '+' signs between My+Photo+Album in the link to %20 (spaces).

So, the middle of the URL looks like:

/My%20Photo%20Album/

jim7heaven7: If there are some more pictures from a couple different angles, I'd love to see'em. I will be looking for a red GT, so it's just the right setup. Was this a dealer installed spoiler? Is it a Hyundai "OEM" or another brand (if another brand, which)?

Thanx!
  • th003gth003g Posts: 149
    These are NOT spoilers designed specifically for the GT. I have only seen the GT spcific spoiler in pictures from the GT in england and europe. I tis totally different. The silver one on this board is actually a factory spoiler for the accent 2 door. I saw two GT's with these spoiler's at the time I went to pick up my mom's GLS. No offense to anyone just a bit of information I thought I would share. The one on the red car( Rfernatt) I don't know which car that was from. Although I must say it is pretty cool how the wiper arm has a spot to fit into the spoiler.

http://www.hyundai-car.co.uk/showroom/pg000167.html

http://www.hyundai-car.co.uk/showroom/pg000167.html
  • Well after driving my new gt for 800 miles i have found something that really bothers me about the car . It might be alittle petty but i think it could be a problem in the future.

Well it is the handle for the cruise.. it spins with the wheel and i have found my hand hanging up on it comming out of turns . Has anybody else come across this ?. the way i drive when i come out of a turn i let the wheel slide under my hand until it gets back straight. The handle for the cruise hits my fingers as the wheel spins back to straight . now this might be petty but i am thinking that one of these times it might snap off .
    anybody care to comment . it seems to be in the same spot on the gt and the gls .
  • desgdesg Posts: 52
    I'd describe the seats as firm rather than hard. If you want something a bit software, I know in Australia, you can get automotive seat cushions - these are designed to give back support but they do have a reasonable amount of padding on them
    ziglifler wrote --

"the handle for the cruise.. it spins with the wheel and i have found my hand hanging up on it comming out of turns . Has anybody else come across this ?"

I have not had a problem with this because I use either the push-pull method of returning the steering back to centre if the turn is that sharp that the steering wheel is past 90° (rare).

On a separate note -- thanks "rfernatt" for the tip on the URL for the other spoiler, and to "th003g" for the insight on the spoilers. I must have "lucked" out because I am very happy with the spoiler design I have. I will post other pictures from different angles since the one I posted was not spoiler-specific and does not show it the best.
  • fdnyfdny Posts: 5
    Just an update for you anyone considering this car. Just do it. 1200 miles so far and only complaints is 18gpm in all city driving which should improve when the car breaks in a little more. The car is perfect for me; it is idiot proof. Can't leave my lights on, or lock the doors with the keys in the ignition, and I even have a little time to shut the window after I turn off the car
    in reference to mrmagoo55 and lestrade1 check out Atlantic Hyundai in LI. I told Brian Cotter my best price over the phone and he beat it. I think I got a good deal on an 01 auto GT with everything for $14.7.
  • gt_fangt_fan Posts: 159
    I already left a post in the members section, but I wanted to say hi to all of you on the GT site. I discovered it yesterday and have read all 1300 messages. (We're between projects at work, nothing else to do.)

I got my 2002 GT last week and am loving it! It's a Carbon Blue 5spd with ABS, tint and clear mask on the hood (very important in Colorado.) The dealer held me up for $15,400, plus tax @3.75%, but GT's are tough to find around here and the dealers know it.

The only problem I've come across so far has been with the traction control. My driveway's steep and on a tree sheltered north slope, so it stays iced up until May. I was looking forward to assistance from the TCS, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't do anything. From a stop, the wheel spin just like the TCS isn't there. Pressing the TCS defeat switch makes no difference. The owner's manual is very vague about exactly how it's supposed to work. I'm about to call the dealer, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any experience with this.

Other than that, I'm absolutely sold on everything about my new car.

Thanks!
    gt_fan said --

"My driveway's steep and on a tree sheltered north slope, so it stays iced up until May. I was looking forward to assistance from the TCS, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't do anything. From a stop, the wheel spin just like the TCS isn't there. Pressing the TCS defeat switch makes no difference."

From what I can tell, the traction control system as implemented on the Elantra GT is a combination of engine management and braking control. When the car is being driven in slippery conditions, say on a slick road, the system causes the brakes to be applied to the wheel that is slipping, while the engine is supposed to be throttled back. The engine effect only affects the driving wheels obviously. This all occurs automatically thereby restoring some control (steerability and traction) to the vehicle.

Now in your case, you are trying to either climb up or go down a steep icy driveway. I would doubt that the system would be successful since there is likely no traction in the driving wheels to begin with. All you would likely be doing is spinning your wheels slower. Think about it this way -- TC relies on shifting effort to the wheel with grip and away from the wheels that slip. If one were on a frozen pond lubricated with water, for example, all wheels would slip equally and the TC system would be defeated.

I think that in your situation, you need to salt your driveway and/or use studded tires on your car. :-(

Just my $0.02 ...
  • Thanks for info. When u say $14,700 for everything, what is everything? With this vehicle the extras appear to be: moonroof, ABS/TRC. I have to assume that it will be hard to find a GT W/O moonroof.
    I have 2051 miles on my Blue GT Auto and one main nitpic that i recently noticed. When pressing the brake or going over a pothole or having teh stereo pumped up I can notice a low buzzing/rattling coming from the lower drivers dash area. anyone have the same problem? ( I DO turn the bass all the way up but still rattles without the radio on)
    thanks
    I believe this is a common place to have the cruise control switch and operation. There are some cars that have these switches on the hub of the steering wheel (some american cars) and some others that have it behind the wheel on the dash cluster(Honda, Jag). It may take some time to get used to but I believe it is the best place to have it. Pretty intuitive and I sometimes think i'm playing video games when using it. heh