Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• dougndodougndo Posts: 136
    Let me start by saying I've never seen an unbiased review, and I'll quickly follow by acknowledging that some reviews are more biased than others.

I grew up and lived in N Ohio and S Michigan for over 40 years before coming to CA, and I can tell you two things: my Dad was UAW and I subscribed to AutoWeek for a very long time. While my Dad and his buddies tolerated European "automobiles" they despised Asian "cars," and when AutoWeek first started to give any real press to Hondas, Nissans, and Toyotas, there was a lot of hell to pay for some of the AutoWeek staff.

A number of those early AutoWeek pieces on Japanese cars were pretty condescending, and my Dad's UAW brethern were still steamed that the cars were even in the magazine. Now AutoWeek regularly uses Japanese "automobiles" as the standard of quality.

So, while it's true that the Tiburon and the GT (especially) got less than objective coverage, I'm stoked that they got covered at all. I've already voted three times with my dollars for Korean Hyundais, so I don't need AutoWeek to tell me anything, but I do like to be able to tell my gearhead friends, "Yeah, the Tiburon and the Elantra GT were featured in AutoWeek--FOUR pages for the Tibby, plus the cover." They respond, "Really?" I say, "Yeah, really. AutoWeek took Hyundais seriously enough to drive them, what the heck is stopping you?"

So far, three accepted the challenge. One bought a 5-speed 2001 Tiburon and will be making SharkRacing some money, and another just brought home an Elantra GT instead of the Mazda his wife wanted. Once they try the cars, the value and quality equation speaks for itself.
  • zigliflerziglifler Posts: 99
    I don't know about the bay area but i got mine in sac . it might be worth a drive up to get one here . Go hyundai in folsom quoted me 200 over invoice , and i got mine at Maita Hyundai in sac and got it for 200 lower than Go . I did call all the hyundai dealers in bay area and none had any at the time i got my GT (jan 3) but i am sure they had some now in stock . a week after i got mine a salesman from fairfield hyundai call me back and told me they had one in cobalt blue, the color that was my first choice but i had already got a chanti red one . But what i would do is go to all the area webpages and email them you are interested to buy . i am sure they will all match or beat each other and you can get a great deal . but make sure u aren't set on only 1 color because when i was looking IF they had gt's they only had 1-3 tops on each lot if they had any at all . Good luck
  • wmoseswmoses Posts: 212
    dougndo hit the nail on the head when he said --

"Once they try the cars, the value and quality equation speaks for itself."

I think that is the whole problem with some people and their attitudes towards today's Hyundais. They are _scared_ to try one because if they do, they would be very surprised, pleased and shocked -- all at the same time. Then the value and warranty will kick into the equation, and the left side of the brain will tell them that it just doesn't make sense to buy something else. And if they end up buying this Hyundai, what will their "conventional-wisdom" friends think ... they will be subject to ridicule and have to defend themselves, etc ...

Nah ... better to leave them Hyundais alone, and not try any of them, in case it up and bites their wallet. Scared, I say. ;-)

We know better.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Edmunds has an interesting "consumer ratings & reviews" section in their New Vehicle pricing guide that you may want to check out.

This functionality lives in the "consumer opinions" area of the new vehicle detail page, and allows users to rate a vehicle on a number of different criteria (1 to 10 scale), as well as add his/her own free-form comments.

Here's a direct link to the 2002 GT Elantra Consumer Ratings & Reviews. Also, if you own a GT Elantra, we look forward to seeing your review there. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • risa5risa5 Posts: 23
    Something is off with the Ratings scale. The ratings scale doesn't agree with what people wrote. It seems like it used to be on a 5 point scale then switched to a 10 point. Most of the numbers seem to have been converted, but how does a review that ends with "I just plain love this car!" end up with only 4 out of 10?
  • estoesto Posts: 136
    The second Elantra GT consumer review rates the GT with a 4.0, but the last sentence is:
    "I just plain love this car!". The third review says: "I'd give it a 4.5 if the scale allowed" for
    a very positive review, which seems to indicate the author is looking at a 1-5 scale.
    Also, the last review is for an Elantra GLS sedan, not a GT hatchback.

Erik
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Yes, I see what you mean. I sent a copy of those reviews along with your messages to my manager. I'll let you know as soon as I hear something. This may take a little time to figure out... since it needs to go through a couple different departments/ladders. Hope you understand. Thanks very much for the feedback... and for your patience.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • Getting back to 0-60 times, I believe that Autoweek was simply reprinting numbers supplied by Hyundai, whereas MotorWeek gave the results of their own testing. As to why the numbers differ so much, however, it's all a matter of luck, location, and technique (which, if you recall the stink over 0-60 times published for the Lamborghini Diablo, can sometimes include burning up a clutch in a single run).
  • I drove by a Toyota dealership yesterday in my 2002 Cardinal Red Elantra GT 5spd and decided to take a look at the Toyota Matrix. I am sorry but that car is butt ugly. You really have to see it in person to know what I mean. Of course what looks good is matter of opinion but, it looks like a squat station wagon with big doors, I do give Toyota this they have alot of cargo space and a 180hp engine in the XRS but I will take the GT thankyou. I looked at the price tag, it had weather protection package, and bumper gaurds and 6 cd changer for over 20 grand. This car does not have leather are side impact airbags, thats another option. Seating is high in the car and it seems to have a pretty high roofline, but I coudnt get over how large and square the doors are. I just drove away with a smirc on my face and in knowing that I made the right choice and saved 6000 dollars on my purchase. I also was turned off by the Toyota sales people, talk about arrogant. Well thats my two cents worth.
  • gt_fangt_fan Posts: 159
    This morning I saw just the third GT I've ever seen on the road (excluding mine). It was black with tinted windows and looked really nice. Gee, at this rate everyone in this city of 350,000 will be driving one! (hehe) It's actually kind of nice having a really exclusive look without having really exclusive mechanicals that are impossible to get fixed!
    jim7heaven7's post was right on the money regarding the Matrix. That is what happens when accountants instead of car lovers design cars.

Put it this way, if someone dropped a 200 hp engine into a Toyota Echo, would it become a nice car?

'Nuff said.
  • cjaccettacjaccetta Posts: 236
    15,600 miles on my 2001.5 GT and no problems to report. Still getting 24.5-25.5 mpg in 95% city driving. Have started to notice a few minor squeaks and rattles as the car settles in. Seating surfaces and interior plastics holding up better than expected considering pretty heavy use.

Have also started to notice more and more GTs on the roads. These cars must be gaining popularity. Have also noticed increasing numbers of GLS models, too. Go Hyundai!

I like the new Matrix/Vibe, in fact the wife and I considered buying one but they weren't available last summer. I think that they will be a big hit (even for Pontiac - you can trust anything built at the Fremont plant). One thing bothers me, though: in all the reviews I've read for the Matrix/Vibe the same list of "hot" "crossover" vehicles keeps popping up - Pro5, Vibe, PT Cruiser and ZX5. What then, may I ask, is the Elantra GT considered to be? An ordinary sedan with a curiously shaped trunk? And what about our pal the Kia Spectra? That car was around before all but the PT cruiser.
  • zigliflerziglifler Posts: 99
    the doors on the matrix are very large looking . i checked one out the other day at a supermarket and talked with the owner . he let me sit in it and check it out . it was nice but i didn't really like it up close . the dash has very deep gauges . i mean way deep . u can't see them it seems like unless u are sitting in the driver seat they are so deep . also the chrome trim on the dash looks alittle tacky in my view .

i have see a few on the road . the funny thing is i have only seen 1 other gt on the road . and have seen a half a dozen matrix's . wierd the matrix hasn't been out half as long and i have seen more of them . and i drive a truck for a living so i am on the road all night , i work nights.

i am glad i got the gt it has been a very nice car . i am up to 30.5 on mpg with about a 60/40 freeway/city driving . i have had no real problems sofar other than the fuel door that was fixed when i had a scratch repaired on the door the day after i bought it . bought the car at night and didn't see the scratch till the day time . about to take it in for 3750 check and one thing i will have looked at is the am reception seems to really suck on mine and the cruise seems to interfer with the am . but other than that it has been a good car so far .
    Right on the heels of last weeks full page review of the GT in AutoWeek, the GT is one of the four featured vehicles in their "Car Board" feature. This is the second time the GT's been in the Car Board. Maybe in an effort effort to redeem themselves after their (IMHO) somewhat condescending review last week, they almost gushed about it this week.

The Car Board always has a central theme to tie the four featured vehicles together and this time it was hybrids. There was the gas / electric Toyota Prius, the pickup truck / luxury car Lincoln Blackwood, the supercar / luxury car Audi S8 and lastly, our hero, the small car / utility vehicle Hyundai GT.

They talked about the re-emergence of hatchbacks, and how they think they come closer to the concept of a "do-everything" vehicle than sport utilities.

"We especially like the ultra-affordable, super-handy Hyundai Elantra GT. This little sub-$15,000 car more easily swallowed a stack of 10-foot boards - hatch shut - than most of the SUV's. And it was fun to drive. How many SUV's can claim that, 'zoom zoom' notwithstanding?"

That's more like it.
    I was just on the AutoWeek Online site and did not see this article under the Car Board link.

Is there some other way to see it? Their articles only go up to Feb.2?, 2002 ...
    "Hybrid can mean "anything of mixed origin," Webster goes on to say. That idea strikes awfully close to another trend in automobiledon: the emergence of the do-everything car. Sure, sport/utes can CLAIM they have the monopoly on this concept (Ford called it's Excursion "a vehicle capable of doing it all"). But we think the burgeoning small wagon/hatch segment strikes closer to the target, with its mixture of small-car fun and utility-vehicle practicality. We especially like the ultra-affordable, super-handy Hyundai Elantra GT. This little sub-$15,000 car more easily swallowed a stack of 10-foot boards - hatch shut - than most of the SUV's. And it was fun to drive. How many SUV's can claim that, 'zoom zoom' notwithstanding?"

The article was accompanied by a rear 3/4 view of a pewter GT cruising down the road.

It usually takes Autoweek a few days to post things from the dead-tree version onto the website. (Keeps us subscribers subscribing!)
  • meafordmeaford Posts: 9
    Could I fit a 90 lb Golden Retriever in the back? Why buy this over the Mazda Pro5?
    Dunno about the dog (though my big upright bass fits in very well - much better than in the
    P5). The GT has a longer area behind the seats, but the P5 has a taller area back there.
    Some off-the-cuff thoughts: a P5 equipped similarly to the GT is more
    expensive, the GT has a much longer warranty, the GT is more conservatively styled (a plus
    in my eyes).

Erik
  • andy632andy632 Posts: 5
    Believe it or not, my wife is leary of buying this car because of the standard leather seats. She says, with some validity, that they would be cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Also she worries that they would be hard to take care of and be prone to cracking. Are any current Elantra GT owners finding the above to be a problem?
    Meaford. my dog is much taller than a Golden, and he fits in back ok. See posts 1586-7.

The P5's base price is almost $2k more than the GT's. For your extra cash, you also have to give up the GT's leather seats, side-impact airbags, trip computer, great warranty and more powerful engine.

The P5 does have sharper handling and 16" wheels instead of the GT's 15"ers, but it pays for that with a stiffer, noisier ride. And when it comes time to replace the P5's low-profile tires, you'll pay a lot more.

Just my $.02 worth.

Erik, my Mom's been thinking about a replacement for her '91 Tracer sedan and needs something that can handle her bass. She's been loading her late 1700's vintage instrument in through the passenger door. (Amazing to watch!) How tough is it lifting your bass in through the hatch. Do you need to lower both rear seats, or just one?

...oops. I just checked your profile. Well, next time I'm up north, I'll have her try the bass in mine. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Yeah, I don't have a hatchback yet. I do most of my hauling in our Astro van, but sometimes
    I use my Mazda 323 sedan - you're right about the acrobatics required to fit a bass in thru
    the passenger door.

When I went trying out the new hatchbacks (GT, P5, ZX5, Impreza TS),
    the bass fit in all of them with only one side of the back seats down (yup, I took my bass along
    for the test drives :-)). The bass fit in the GT the best.

Erik
  • andil1andil1 Posts: 97
    Hi! I have a '99 Sonata with leather seats, and all I do is take a damp chamois and wipe off the leather occasionally! My car heats up so quickly that I never notice the cold seats, and vice-versa for the air-conditioning in the summer with hot seats. I have the 60-40 split rear seats, so I usually put them them down for my 2 dogs when I take them to the vet--plus I throw down a blanket over the part of the leather-seat that's still exposed. The car still smells like new. There's nothing like the smell of leather!

In case you're wondering why I'm monitoring this board, I'm thinking of either a 5-door hatch or a small suv/crossover that has a sun roof as an option. I've been very satisfied with Hyundai and would not hesitate to recommend it. I also like the traction control (for Midwest winters and also works on rain slick roads) and will insist on it unless I purchase an AWD vehicle.

For the GT's, I like both the silver and the bright red color. The black also looks sharp if I could keep it clean--a bold red pinstriping would look so cool on that car!

Has anyone on this board tried out a Vibe/Matrix? I know it's more expensive. I'd probably look at an AWD in those since there's no traction control in the FWD's--I can't drive a stick anyway. Too uncoordinated.
  • little9little9 Posts: 30
    Am saving my pennies to purchase the Elantra GT and am wondering about the dimensions of the sunroof. Is it as small as the Focus sunroof or as large as the Honda sunroof. Has anyone measured their sunroof? Have found reading these messages very informative and am pleased to have access to such a source. One last question: earlier postings wrote of highway MPG averaging 34-36. In your experience is this fairly accurate. I generally drive at 65-70 and am wondering what the "real world" figures have been. Thanks. PS: Please stop shouting from the roof tops what an excellent bargain this car is! When enough people know about the GT, the prices will go higher & higher and I'll have to wait even longer before I can afford to buy.
  • TupTup Posts: 200
    Well, as a new Matrix owner, I can say that it is a great vehicle. I have a black one and I think that hides some of the unusual styling...like the always black "D" pillar. We also got the windows tinted and have received many favorable comments. The looks do grow on you. We had also looked at the Pro5. The GT is not a contender for us since the nearest dealer is 45 minutes away. It is optioned well though. I think Hyundai has come farther faster than any other car producer. I must say though that the looks of the GT 5 door kinda remind me of a car my sister used to own....a 1983 Nissan Stanza 5 door.

It's a common theme when you go from one discussion to another...."Yeah, I looked at the **** and I'm so glad and so much happier with the vehicle I bought". Human nature I guess.
    The outside dimension (glass) is 34" x 17" and the interior dimension (headliner) is 27" x 13.5".

It is a very nice size and in proportion to the size of the roof.

I alos drive at 65 - 70 mph and my average mileage is 28.8 mpg according to the trip computer. This is based on mostly 30 mile round trips to work on freeways and feeder roads.
  • andil1andil1 Posts: 97
    Tup, you brought back memories bringing up the '83 Nissan Stanza. I had the sedan. Great engine - 4 cyl with 8 spark plugs - used 4 all the time, and the other 4 only when you floored it. It was probably too expensive to keep building the engine.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    is further proof of how far ahead of the curve most Japanese manufacturers were in the eighties. What happened? Maybe like the Japanese economy, the auto industry is suffering from old age.
  • rwr1708rwr1708 Posts: 34
    I want to thank everyone who responded to my previous questions. I think if I can afford it, this will be my primary choice for a new car. I have one other question, though. I know that the Elantra GT has a trip computer, but what info does it show? I've read that it shows miles until empty, trip distance, and trip time, but was wondering if it also gives you a miles per gallon reading like my Mom's Passat. Then, I could rub in the fact that you can buy a car with better gas mileage blue-lit dash, trip computer, and leather (some of her favorite features in the Passat) for alot less. In fact, you can buy two of them for the price she spent! Would it be wrong to gloat?
    Thanks.
    Rich
    rwr1708 asked --

"I know that the Elantra GT has a trip computer, but what info does it show?"

In addition to the stuff you mentioned, it does show avergae fuel consumption. So yes, you can gloat in favour of the GT over Passat, but I would not suggest doing so on the Passat / Volkswagen forum. :-)
  • shado4shado4 Posts: 287
    Does the trip computer really show elapsed trip time? If it does, how do I access it? The trip computer on my GT only shows miles per gallon, miles to empty, and has one trip mileage meter.

Am I missing something that others have?