Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• Today I drove my 2 week old auto GT on 880 to Oakland, CA from San Jose. Payload was 650 lbs and since 880 has many pavement discontinuties, I consider this trip a real test of the ride. It was significantly superior to my wife's 2001 Honda Civic.

No complaints at all.

Gottfried
  • wmoseswmoses Posts: 212
    gottfried1 says --

"It was significantly superior to my wife's 2001 Honda Civic."

I am not surprised, since I feel that there is actually no comparison between the two. But tell that to the people who have blinders on for Honda.

The ride of the Civic can be better compared with the Elantra GLS, not the GT. For a better comparison of ride, I thing one would have to drive something German in the GT's class.
  • zigratzigrat Posts: 3
    so far i have put 200 miles on my 2002 elantra gt. i got it with everything (its an auto) but the traction control/abs package. it seems to break fine anyways.

so far i have gotten horrible gas milage (19 mpg) but i guess this will get better. the other thing i would mention is that today i almost switched lanes into someone in it. i checked and didnt see anyone but when i went to go there was someone there! hnow i dont know how the hell they got there mabye they were in a blind spot? i dunno.

anyways the cra is fun to drive, and the sound is pretty good. i have gotten lots of compliments on the car. hoping the milage gets better soon :)
    zigrat said --

"so far i have gotten horrible gas milage (19 mpg) but i guess this will get better."

It will get better. Gas mileage dependson a lot of things, including climate, transmission type, driving style, etc. The fact that the car is new also means that the engine is tight, and hence it uses more gas.

Having said that, my 5-speed GT has always given me good mileage from day 1 -- over 28 mpg in combined driving. I try and keep the revs below 3000 rpm (not always successful!) and try and get into 5th as soon as possible. I also use cruise control whenever possible on the freeway. Today after being reset, it hit 34 mpg afer a few miles, so I know that it is possible.

As for the blind spot -- there is none. If one adjusts the mirrors properly, the left and right wing mirrors should show the adjacent lanes (and no part of one's own car!), and the rear-view mirror should show the lane behind.
  • I finally got an owner's manual for my GT direct from Hyundai, but I'm not sure it's the right one.

The one they sent appears to be for the Elantra Sedan not the GT.

Can someone take a look at their manual and tell me if theirs is specific to the GT? I have a 2001.5 auto.

Thanks in advance
    sparkymark says --

"I finally got an owner's manual for my GT direct from Hyundai, but I'm not sure it's the right one. The one they sent appears to be for the Elantra Sedan not the GT."

I think that there is probably only one Elantra Manual. Mine has a sketch of a Sedan on it as well as inside, but has GT-features like trip computer, Traction Control, CD-player, front fog lights described along with common shared features. I could not find any instructions in the manual for the rear wiper and washer though.
  • amcdan1amcdan1 Posts: 14
    I haven't been able to find anything on it, but has anyone seen any information about an '03 GT? Will it come out in the fall of '02?

Pure conjecture on my part, but I'd really like to see Hyundai make it a 'true' GT and give you the option of that V6 and maybe the shiftronic automatic.
    amcdan1 said --

"Pure conjecture on my part, but I'd really like to see Hyundai make it a 'true' GT and give you the option of that V6 and maybe the shiftronic automatic."

Its coming ... just that it is called the 2003 Tiburon. I doubt that they would consider doing what you suggest, since it would be too close to the Tiburon, which is the sports/race car of the Hyundai lineup.

I would like to see a different (more potent) engine from the base GLS though ... just to separate the performance characteristics out a bit more.
  • zigrat's concern over the blind spot seems to be warranted. I'm not bashing the GT--I ike the car a lot. It's just that if you research this board you will find several posts from people complaining of a bind spot. A couple have mentioned almost hitting someone as a result. Maybe it has to do with the seating position of those drivers, or their height, or something else that you can't blame the car on; but, the fact remains that it is a real problem for some people. When test driving, people need to look good and hard at this area to make sure they won't have this problem.
    claywaterfill said --

"...if you research this board you will find several posts from people complaining of a bind spot. ... Maybe it has to do with the seating position of those drivers, or their height, or something else that you can't blame the car on; but, the fact remains that it is a real problem for some people. "

I agree with you on the above. However at the same time, you must agree that many people don't have the foggiest idea on how to adjust their mirrors. This was pointed out in an excellent Canadian auto magazine, World of Wheels, years ago by a retired race-car driver.

What he said, and I have noticed this too, is that many folk adjust their wing mirrors so that they can see some portion of their car and some portion of the road. This, he said, was incorrect. Why does one need to see one's own car? One should not be using these mirrors to judge distance (the RHS mirror ever says so) so seeing one's own car is a "waste of mirror".

This is how he said to adjust the wing mirrors. On a level surface, adjust the vertical angle appropriately for your height, such that a vehicle alongside would be in the middle of the mirror. So far so good.

Here is the meat.

Adjust the in-out / horizontal angle of the mirrors outwards so that (a) no part of your car is seen, (b) the lane to the left of your lane should be seen in the left wing mirror and the lane to the right should be seen in the right wing mirror, and (c) these mirrors should show these lanes without much movement of the head -- just the eyes only.

When properly adjusted, the car pulling out to pass you (on either side) from behind, should be first visible in the rear view mirror, then as it pulls alongside, the rear part of the car should be visible in the rear view mirror and the front part of the car in the wing mirror. Then as the car leaves the rear view mirror, it should be well into the wing mirror and entering your peripheral vision.

Now, some cars have mirrors that are incapable of being adjusted far out enough. My advice -- don't buy these cars -- they have blind spots. I have owned 4 Hyundais so far and their mirrors all adjust outwards just fine. My Dodge Gr.Caravan also does the same.

Also, I am the average height person (5'-8") and this method works perfectly for me.

With mirrors adjusted properly, one never needs to look over one's shoulder when doing a lane change -- another point in his article. Looking over one's shoulder often causes an involuntary pulling to the side being looked at and that is not a good thing.

The only thing that I can say regarding the GT's visibility, is that the trunk lid is a bit high and I have a spoiler as well which takes a little out of my rearward visibility. Having said that I see quite well enough out of the back of my cat.

Of course as they say, "your mileage may vary...."
  • zigratzigrat Posts: 3
    hi,
    thanks for the tip. the mirrors DO give a good view. i have just gotten used to always looking "over the shoulder" and i almost never look at the mirrors except mabye when parallel parking. from now on i will tru to use my mirrors rather than looking with my head.
  • wmoses said --

"The only thing that I can say regarding the GT's visibility, is that the trunk lid is a bit high and I have a spoiler as well which takes a little out of my rearward visibility."

Where did you find a spoiler for the GT? Do you have pictures?

Thanx!
  • Hello all,
    Some time ago, someone posted a link to online technical manuals for Hyundai cars. Could someone re-post that link please?

Thank you.
    rfernatt asked --

"Where did you find a spoiler for the GT? Do you have pictures?"

I got the spoiler from the dealer. I asked them to stick one one and tint the windows and both came up to an extra $450.

I have been waiting for the right time to take some photos of my car and will do so soon. I am putting together a website on the GT, and I will have mine pictured for a start.

In the meanwhile you can see a photo of my car with the spoiler at:

http://www.geocities.com/wa_moses/elantra_gt/elantra_gt.jpg

• amcdan1amcdan1 Posts: 14
    Good point about my "wish list" coming in the 03 Tiburon. Like you, I'm just looking for a performance boost to distinguish the GT from the GLS.

By the way, can't get the link to you car pic to work.
    amcdan1 said --

"By the way, can't get the link to you car pic to work."

Just try

http://www.geocities.com/wa_moses/elantra_gt/

and when you see the directory listing, click on the .jpg file and you should see the picture.

I suspect that Yahoo! Geocities is having some "issues" at the moment, because I typed in the same URL as the one I gave you and it worked. I then did a refresh, and it didn't.

• Nice Spoiler Rfernatt, I have a spoiler on my GT, but my spoiler is different. I will post a picture once I get my camera batteries charged, should have the pic up tonight or tommrrow.
  • My wife and I decided on the Elantra GT after checking both of them out and driving them. The GT just had a lot more going for it. Tons of room for a small car. We wanted silver with ABS, but was unable to find one anywhere in the mid-west, so ended up with red. It is automatic (wife can't shift, and I wont live long enough to teach her) sun roof etc. We have 500 miles on it, and we picked it up Friday Jan 11th. Our first fillup gave us a 32.7 miles per gallon. My wife tends to have a heavy foot, so I warned her that the police tend to watch bright red sporty looking cars. I was stopped in town for doing 40 in a 30 zone. Got off with a warning since I had only gotten the car about ten hours before. It seems to be a great little car that is fun to drive and doesn't ride quite as well or is as quiet as our 2001 GX300, but what would! I would recommend Hyundai and the dealership that we bought it from in Iowa City to anyone.
  • That was good advice about the side mirrors--thanks. I, too, was guilty of having a small part of the side of my car in the mirror, but I see the improvement now. It is strange at first because I was so used to seeing down the side of my car and behind me, and now I don't. I have noticed that I can see cars coming around me in my mirrors all the way until they get beside me now. When the car disappears from the rear view mirror, it is in full view of my side mirror--yet I can't see it next to me at all. When it pulls forward more and comes out of the side mirror, I can see it out of the corner of my eye next to me. This has been the most helpful thing I have gotten out of these boards.
  • Regarding your post, I live in New City, and dlrs u mentioned are same as mine. I got a price frm Rockland Plaza for about $14,800. for GT w/auto. The salesperson was very nice, I bought my Santa Fe frm dlr Rt 119, White Plains. Sales was o.k. but parts dept was way out of line price wise. Anyone else in NYC metro area have prices for GT w/auto.
    Thanks for all the great info. Hyundai owners are so intelligent and thoughtful.