Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• calamuscalamus Member Posts: 18
    has a little over 21 000 miles (33 700 km) on it. Bought June 02. No problem so far.
  • compensatecompensate Member Posts: 212
    It took me about two years to get my 38,000 miles, but you two have definitely racked up some miles!
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Hi Everyone - Looks like a number of you have gotten some pretty good miles out of your Elantra GT! Like Compensate has done, post #3337, anyone else care to share a more detailed report? If you'd like, you can list your:

1. Model Year & Total miles to date.

2. MPG & Driving habits. Any differences in mpg since you first purchase?

3. Any additional accessories & mods?

4. Maintenance issues to date.

5. Any interesting trips or cargo experiences?

6. Overall impressions pro/cons of your Elantra
       GT since you first purchased....

Share as much (or as little) information as you'd like. I'm sure other owners/shoppers passing through here, would find the information quite interesting, if not helpful.

Also, you can report back every 3-5k to update again.... Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • gt_fangt_fan Member Posts: 159
    1) 2002 5spd GT w/ABS package. Bought 1/10/02. 24,500 miles.

2) I've averaged 32.4 mpg for the life of the vehicle. (I keep all fill-up data on a spreadsheet.) My commute is mostly highway, 55-65 mph and I usually drive like a granny, but I do deal with about five miles of stop and go daily. During the first 5,000 miles, my mileage was about 30, but it's really gone up since the engine loosened up. I managed over 550 miles on a tank one time by overfilling before a long highway trip -- don't try this at home, I've since heard that it can damage the emissions control system!

3) List of Mods: Spoiler from Celica GT, black antenna and 19mm rear swaybar from '03 Tiburon, removed intake resonator box and plumbing (see elantraxd.com). The new swaybar reduces body roll quite a bit and eliminates most of the GT's understeer. Definitely worth doing!

4) I had the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) changed to try to reduce some of the GT's infamous "hanging rpm" syndrome. It seemed to help somewhat, but I think most of it is programmed into the car. The only real problem the car has had is the retaining latch that holds up the sun visor broke. Not exactly a big deal. If the badge on this car said "Toyota" I'd still be congratulating myself on buying such a well built car. This Hyundai has been that good!

5) My wife was heading into town to pick up a large nightstand that we'd had on order. She assumed that she should take her Durango, but I assured her that it would fit in my GT if she folded the seat. As it turned out, the salesguy loaded it in, shipping carton and all, without even folding the seat. Very impressive. I don't know why more people don't drive hatchbacks.
    Another plus with this car is the almost freakishly large amount of hip room in the back seat. I need to be able to put three child safety seats back there, and the Elantra is the only car in it's class that has enough room. Nothing else even comes close.

6) Overall, the GT has been the best car I've ever owned -- and I've owned cars from Saab, Audi, Nissan, VW and all of the domestics. While it wouldn't keep up with my old Shelby or 280Z, in it's own way it's a lot of fun to drive. It's been perfectly reliable, has a ton of room, a high level of equipment for it's class, and won't break the bank. The only possible downside is Hyundai's historically low resale value. I plan to keep mine for a long time, so this isn't an issue for me, but with Hyundai's rapidly improving reputation, it's bound to get better anyway.
    At Rebekah's excellent suggestion, I will include more detailed update information. My previous post was rather hurried. I'll follow gt_fan's post as a template.

1) 2001.5 Pewter 5-speed with sunroof (only option). I bought it July 2001. As of 3/26/03, it has 38,764 miles.

2) I've averaged about 31mpg over the life of the vehicle. Since I live in the outskirts of the Nashville, TN metro area, about 85% of my driving is on the open (or occasionally congested) highway. My mileage has been roughly the same throughout the car's history. I typically drive around 80mph on the highway and am a moderately aggressive driver (not too aggressive, though).

3) The only modifications I have made is to tint the windows with a light tint (street legal in TN) and replace the rear speakers (the factory rear speakers are lacking in high-frequency response). The only speaker I could find to fit the unusual openings were a set of Pioneers (yuck), but they sound pretty good. The factory rear speaker openings are for 6 3/4 speakers, not 6 1/2. I don't have the money to invest in major modifications, being married with two kids, but I wish I did!

4) All of my MINOR maintenance issues have not been resolved as my Hyundai dealer is not near my work location. I plan to get them all addressed in one fell swoop soon. Issue 1: Under full throttle, the engine seems to lag for a second or so around 4000 rpms. I guess this could be due to a problematic TPS, as gt_fan suggested above. Issue 2: When hitting a moderate bump on warmer days, the CD unit will skip is a CD is playing, so into some error mode, and eject the CD. Everything else about the sound system is great. Issue 3: Some occasional rattling from the hatch. Issue 4: The outer edge (ring) around the plastic (looks like metal) shift pattern disk on top of the shifter has been chipping off little by little. What's funny is that it actually will look fine once the entire outer ring comes off.

Also, I have had to replace the Michelin tires already (35,000 miles) as I only was able to rotate the tires once (bad me). The replacements I chose were the Bridgestone Turanzas, which I HIGHLY recommend. They eat through rain and snow pretty well and seem to have better dry grip than the Michelins. The Michelins did have lower road noise and I noticed a drop of about 1 mpg with the new tires (must be more rolling resistance with the Turanzas).

5) For a car classified as a compact, this sucker sure holds a heck of a lot of cargo, especially with the rear seats folded down. I have hauled 9-foot balled-and-burlaped trees with the hatch shut (of course, I had a few branches near my face) on several occasions. This car has been to Florida and back, upper New York and back, and many other long trips and has been wonderful!

6) The only other car I was considering at the time I purchased my GT was the Mazda Protege5. The only thing the Protege5 probably does better (stock comparisons) is emergency handling/cornering. The Elantra GT won every other contest (non-ABS braking, looks, gas mileage, sound system, and PRICE!). I decided to spend about $3500 less and get the Elantra GT and I have not been dissatisfied!
  • jeffhall76jeffhall76 Member Posts: 52
    How much was the sway bar from the Tiburon? Do you have a part number? I'd like to do that to my car as well... I have done all the other mods you have done too, I feel like we're competing! Oh, and how much was the sway bar...that's important!

Jeff
    Hi Jeff,

I paid $93 for just the bar (55511-2C000), but to do the job right you should get the rubber bushings for the new diameter bar. They're not very expensive.

I did a write up of the whole procedure that Wayne Moses graciously put up on his GT website at:

http://www.gwebworks.com/elantra_gt/garage3.shtml

It has all the details on the swap, as well as enough other GT related stuff to put even gt_fan into sensory overload!

Good Luck!
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    32k. 2001 pewter automatic with ABS and TC. Replaced fuel gauge, oil drain plug, and front headlight,--all covered. No mods. 24-35 for mpgs. Great car but still have issue with visibility to side and rear. Find the pillars really thick and the rear triangular window useless. I'd buy another one in a flash, although would consider the GT sedan.
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    1) 2001.5 GT hatchback...13,950 miles.

2) I live 2 miles from work thats why the mileage is low. I get 24mpg average and mileage has not changed since new. K&N air filter did not affect mileage.

3) Mods...yes we have mods!

a) Roadmax xenon low beams
    b) B&M short shift kit (5 spd)
    c) 2003 Tiburon rear sway bar
    d) Fumoto oil change valve
    e) Pep Boys 17" black antenna
    f) Fiamm two tone horns
    g) K&N Air Filter

4)Maintenance issues done under warranty:

a) drivers seat would not click into place.
       service adjusted drivers seat track.

b) Complained of noisy ac belts.
       service adjusted AC belt tension.

c) Rear passenger seatback making noise.
       Service lubed and adjusted seatback hinges.

d) Accelerator pedal travel not smooth.
       First visit service lubed cable.
       Second visit service adjusted position of cable
       Travel is now smooth.

e) Digital Dash clock had intermittent display.
       Service replaced dash clock (was in stock).

f) Had service adjust my Emergency brake cable twice for correct # of clicks.

g) Fuel Pressure Regulator started leaking.
       Service replaced fuel pressure regulator.
       Took 4 days to get in stock. Rented a GLS.

I might add I live one block from the dealer so I would just drop the car off on my day off and walk home (therefore I could afford to be picky).

5) I'm a bassplayer so I carry all types of gear in the hatch. I've had 2 bass guitars, 3 PA heads,3 mike stands, a 600 watt bass amp and various bags, cables, acc. I always drive a hatchback for this reason. My only complaint is when you lift up the rear seat cushions and put the rear seatbacks all the way flat...this forces the driver (and front pass) to sit closer to the steering wheel. So I almost never lift the seat cushions and live with the rear seatbacks on a slight angle.

6) My overall impressions...I would buy this car again in a heartbeat! With the addition of the B&M short shift kit and the Tiburon rear sway bar its a different car (much more sporty). I traded in a 94 Honda Civic Si for this car and was a little leary doing it. No buyers remorse at all. I agree with GT_Fan...if you ever drive a GT with the Tiburon rear sway bar you will want one now!
  • mrvanmrvan Member Posts: 17
    Hello All-

I've got a new (600 mi) auto GT that has been averaging 22.5 MPG for the last 200 mi.

I know I'm in the break-in period, but is the low mileage something to worry about?

When might I expect it to go up to the nearly 30 MPG that my wife gets with the manual GT?

Yes...we have two. Love 'em both!

-mrvan
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    I knew I wasn't losing my mind. I had asked my service department to adjust the parking brake lever because I KNEW it was coming up too far. This had happened on my last car with 5-speed and a handbrake; service guys everywhere seem intent on stretching the parking brake cable. Natch, the service tech says on the bill that it is "adjusted normally". Who knows better what is normal for my car than me? (I reeeeaaaalllly need a place with a garage). I was taught long ago that one need only pull up the brake to the point it stops the car from moving.
  • soylentcbc9soylentcbc9 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, thanks for everyone's comments. I'm excited about purchasing a GT this weekend.

Question for everyone: my wife would like to have a roof rack installed on the car--but the one we are interested in has a sunroof. Are you able to install a rack with a sunroof? How does it look, etc . . . .

Thanks for your help.

I'm glad I have taken many of your advice--when I went in for a test drive--the dealer offered the 1500 rebate and nothing else--but I have emailed as many dealers in the area (and although it is difficult to find black hatchbacks) and have come back with prices comparable to everyone else: 100 over invoice.

Also wondering if anyone has had any results with the aftermarket dash kits--the monocolor Gray is a little much for us--wondering if a Brushed Aluminum Kit would add a little bit to the appearance?

Thanks again
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    Your not losing your mind. After service I routinely find my handbrake pulled on so hard I can barely release it and this is on level ground!
    Something like 5 clicks is all it should take (depending on car). Giving the dealer credit though they always adjusted it without complaint.
  • mrvanmrvan Member Posts: 17
    I had the "wood trim" kit from Hyundai (5 pieces - door switch covers and dash) installed in our GTs. I really think it classes up the car.

Hyundai thinks the wood is not "sporty", so they rarely have these installed in the GT. (I can think of more than one auto manufacturer that puts wood trim and leather and a "sporty" car - but they all cost at least $10,000 more than the Hyundai.)

As far as I know, Hyundai makes two kits for the Elantra: wood and "carbon fiber". These are kits that actually replace the dash and door switch coverplates - not (as in the case with many "aftermarket" kits) adhesive panels that cover the existing dash.

Enjoy your GT!
    -mrvan
  • rilo2002rilo2002 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2002 auto GT, currently at 9300 miles. Most of my driving is on the freeway - about 100 miles a day, with about 20 on the surface streets. The freeways are stop and go at times but mostly at about 60 to 70 mph. My combined mileage for the first 7500 miles had been 28 to 29 mpg. From 7500 to 9300 miles, the mileage has improved to about 30 mpg.
  • banddexpressbanddexpress Member Posts: 63
    Ok everyone now I need to try and find out an answer for this. I have never had a hatchback in my life. I got rid of a p/u because we can't fit a carseat in it plus 2 people. My back is bad so I just have the bigger stuff we buy delivered. However what I was wondering is if you don't fold the hatchback back seats down is there more room then the sedan? I can't find anywhere were it says how big the trunk is on the sedan? We go fishing alot and I need to put my poles back there. The next ? is is there a cover so everyone doesn't see what you have back their in the hatch area? Also with the hatch tilted does it cut down on headroom for the back passengers? I also was wondering if anyone had purchased an extended warranty that is for 100k/10years bumper to bumper and if so what did you pay? Thanks for all the help.
    Brent
  • jhershauerjhershauer Member Posts: 3
    Brent,
    I just bought a Sedan GT this past Sunday, so all of the specs are somewhat fresh in my head. The hatchback is listed as having approximately 18 cubic feet of space behind the rear seats vs. 12.9 for the sedan. There is a cover that keeps people from seeing what's in the hatch. With the cover in place, it looked like there was a similar amount of storage space as the sedan...maybe a little more height still. Note that for fishing poles, you'd have the advantage of being able to stick the poles up over the back seat in the hatch, taking advantage of the passenger compartment space. You'd have to lower one of the rear seats in order to do that with the sedan.

I also bought the 10/100,000 extended Hyundai warranty. They were selling it for approx. $1380.00. I told him I was interested in the warranty, but didn't want to pay more than $800. At our previously agreed upon interest rate of 4.9% (.5% below my credit union), I told him that $800 would add $15/month to my 5 year loan, and that's what I wanted to pay. He then said that they were authorized to offer lower interest rates on the vehicles in order to sell the warranties. He lowered my interest rate to 3.8%, which resulted in the additional $15/month over 5 years that I was looking for (relative to the 4.9% interest rate).

Jeff
    The footprint of the hatch area is about the same as the trunk in the sedan. The advantage comes from the much larger opening into that space. There are large objects that technically would fit in the sedans trunk, but they can't fit through the relatively narrow trunk opening. The other advantage is that if you remove the cargo cover, (it normally swings up out of the way when you open the hatch) you can stow objects that are too tall for the sedan's trunk. My very large dog really appreciates this.

Unlike a lot of hatchbacks, there's about the same amount of rear headroom as in the sedan.

I was offered the extra warranty for $700 (it normally goes for more like $1200-1400), but I turned it down. Time will tell if that was wise, but they wouldn't offer the extra warranty unless they were making money on it.
  • jhershauerjhershauer Member Posts: 3
    I know what you mean about the extended warranty, and the fact that it's a money-maker for whoever sells them.

In this case, I was so happy about how much money I had saved by getting an Elantra rather than the Civic or Corrolla that I set out to buy, that I had no problem shelling out the extra $$$ for the 100,000 mile peace-of-mind. My grand total was still well below what I was going to be paying for one of the other cars.
  • calamuscalamus Member Posts: 18
    I have a Thule roof rack/ski box on my GT and the sun roof operates normally. You will find it a bit noisy at highway speeds, and it will increase gas consumption (±12%, depending on speed and wind conditions).
  • banddexpressbanddexpress Member Posts: 63
    Hey guys thanks so much for coming up with the answers for me. I really appreciate it. Will go drive one Sat. I know some people can negotiate great deals on vehicles I'm not one of them that is why I was wanting to find out about the price for extended warrranties. I will be keeping the car for the total 10/years now I know people say na you will want something else by then but I really won't. My p/u is 9years old and have to get rid of it because not enough room. I'm not a car enthusiast about what's coming out next I kind of associate getting a car like going to the dentist. You don't want to go just sort of have to. Thanks again.
    Brent
    I read a comment elsewhere on this site about the "refundability" or "cancelability" of the extra-cost 10-year bumper-to-bumper warranty. Does anyone else know of this?

Brent, today is Saturday so I hope you are at your dealer discovering what we all know: these cars are fun and solid AND a great value. I'm like you, hoping to see huge miles and many years out of this car (mine's a GLS). If my last little 5-speed could do it, then I am certain this car can as well. My other personality says, "don't wait, trade up to the hatch". Decisions, decisions.

Enjoy and let us know what you've bought.
  • mapgtmapgt Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,
    I've got a GT that's notchy when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and next to impossible to put into 1st even when rolling to a stop. I've had it in at the dealer more than 5 times and they can't fix it. I suspect it's related to the fact that the revs don't come down when I clutch in. Because my if I count 2 seconds after clutching before trying to shift it shifts ok. Anyone having these problems?
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    my GLS has had 2 runs of fast idle in 36K miles. Both self corrected without adjustments.
  • renfrow1renfrow1 Member Posts: 7
    mapgt, I'm having some of the same issues your having...It's funny they just started to come up two days ago...I thought it was my clutch going through it's break in period, but as my Elantra GT is barely two months old, I kinda ruled that out...

When I go from a stop into 2nd gear theres no problem, it's when I go into third I get issues...It feels like it takes three or four clicks in the shifter when it finally gets into gear in third...Really rubbery, almost like it doesn't want to stay in gear either...From third to fourth gear there is also no problems...

Another problem I encountered the same exact day is the braking system acting up...When I have to stop suddenly now (which on these California highways is often) the steering wheel grabs to the left slightly, and when from a stop taking off with heavy torque, my steering wheel is now grabbing to the right...I also can't stand the fact that the rally inspired Euro-shifting kit keeps the rpm's way up...This is definately taking some getting used to...I'm beginning to wonder if my car has to be driven completely different from what I know about 5 speeds???

I'm confused...This is my third, and first brand new Hyundai and all have been 5 speeds...I've never driven a car that does this... Anyone know what's up with the 5door GT's???

Anyone with feedback can also contact me off the boards dan_renfrow@hotmail.com

Thanks Everyone!!!

DAN
  • renfrow1renfrow1 Member Posts: 7
    Hey all me again!!!

Today I saw a killer picture of an add-on spoiler for the 2003 Elantra GT's, and it's a lot better than the stock black vinyl one most dealerships (including the one I got mine from) puts on the cars...These new ones are body colored to match the paint scheme, and wrap slightly over the sides of the back end, they look great!!!

How can I get one, no shops around here where I'm at carry them, and have no clue as to what I'm talking about...My dealership says they are non-existant...Funny then how did I see one on three different cars *LOL*

Thanks Guys and Gals!!!

DAN
  • kiltedfoolkiltedfool Member Posts: 18
    from reading one of the other Elantra boards here just this morning, someone else was having similar problems, and his tires were underinflated, causing unequal power to be delivered to the road. Dealer adjusted his pressure and it's like butter again.

KF
  • kentavoskentavos Member Posts: 34
    Does anyone know the correct Oil Filter size for K&N oil filters or even Penzoil? I went to change my oil the other day and the filter the machine suggested to me was about half the size of what's already on my car. I'm guessing that the GT is different from the regular Elantra. So I have no clue.
    Thanks.
    To the best of my knowledge, Hyundai still doesn't offer a spoiler for the GT, other than the little black lip spoiler. Most GT owners have used other sources. Mine is a spoiler made for an '02 Celica GT. It looks like the one on the silver car at:

http://www.gwebworks.com/elantra_gt/gt2.shtml

(Click on the thumbnails for a closer look.)

I got it at spoilerdepot.com, had it painted locally and then installed it myself. Spoilerdepot can paint it to match using your paint code (I think it's on the driver's door), but they won't take it back if it's painted. Installation is a bit difficult. You have to measure and drill holes in your shiny new car (yikes!) and the access to the bolts on the inside is tight. Unless you're mechanically inclined, you might want to have the body shop install it for you.

My spoiler is lightweight ABS plastic. While it looks nice, it's a bit flimsy. This morning at the car wash, as I was inching through the high-powered dryer, I looked in the rear view mirror and saw the center of the spoiler flapping up and down a good inch. Amazing! It didn't seem to hurt it though. After a year and 20,000 miles it looks like new. Being lightweight, it doesn't affect the ability of the gas struts to hold the hatch open either.

I think Celica spoilers are also available on ebay, and most of them will be made with heavier fiberglass construction.

Good Luck!

Mark
    GT and GLS have the same engine.
    in addition to making a crappy filter has the really tiny one called out for Elantras. A similar SuperTech filter line exists but they call out the larger filter for Hyundais. My suspicion is that Fram is trying to simplify stocking by making the smallest size standard. Who cares if it gives you adequate filtering area? Fram doesn't give you much of that in any of their products.

BTW-- My distain of Pennzoil filters doens't apply to Pennzoil oil. That's some of the best group 2+ dino there is.
  • dustbaildustbail Member Posts: 34
    K&N OIL Filter for the 2002 HYUNDAI Elantra 2.0L L4 F/I is: K/NHP-1004. Be prepared to fork out $9-10 for it, but worth every penny. www.4wheelparts.com and www.performancecenter.com both have the Oil Filters in stock.
    I have always preferred the use of Bosch oil filters. I thought they were pretty high quality. Anyone know anything to the contrary about Bosch Premium Oil Filters?

Thanks!
  • kentavoskentavos Member Posts: 34
    Thanks everyone for your help with the oil filter question. As an update, my 2002 GT has about 5000 miles on it and is running great. I'm still amazed at the quality of car I got for the price.
    pretty standard Champion Labs fare. Not sure if it's worth that much more than a SuperTech or STP for instance. Always liked Champion Labs because their technical service people respond quickly and accurately to questions-- that should tell you a lot about a company.
    I guess someone at Edmunds didn't like the link I posted after my initial Bosch filter post.

Too bad. It was interesting info.

Wonder why it was removed after being posted here for 3 days.
    Hi Compensate- Please check your email. Thanks!

To everyone- Your information is very much appreciated; however, please be aware that our policy forbids postings that promote, or link to, other auto forums that also provide message boards or chats.

For informational purposes, links to websites that do not provide automotive message boards/chats are allowed.

To those concerned - Feel free to email me if you have any questions/comments. Please do not address this matter with me here. I do not set policy here, nor can I change it. As host, I am responsible for enforcing it, which is why I bring it up.

You can also read recent discussion on this matter in our Ask the Town Hall Hosts discussion, (From Post #1383) on the News & Views Board. Please take the time to read all the messages on this subject prior to posting your questions/comments there.

And let's get back to the subject of this discussion. Thanks!

Revka
    Host/Hatchbacks & Wagons
  • jrs333jrs333 Member Posts: 10
    Well, after 10,500 miles I have finally hit one snag with my Elantra GT. This past weekend, the wife and I drove up to Charleston, SC. We made it as far as Colombia when the check-engine light came on. The RPMs then seemed to stick in first gear. We made it (barely) to a gas station right off the Colombia SC exit.

To Hyundai's credit, the Roadside Assistance was very helpful. It did, however, take just over 2 hours for the actual tow truck to arrive.

We were very lucky in 3 respects -- (1) We made it off the highway and to a gas station; (2) There happened to be a Hyundai dealership to take our car to (only 15 miles away -- Roadside Assistance helped locate the dealership); and (3) the problem was the throttle sensor, so our car was serviced in just over an hour. We were back on the road after a 3 hour "layover" and made it into Charleston that evening.

I was a bit shocked to experience any problems with a car that is just one year old and only 10.5K miles. I'm hoping this is the exception -- I really love the car. On a side note, we were looking to add a Santa Fe (for my wife) this summer. After the weekend's experience, though, she promptly removed another Hyundai from consideration...que sera, sera. I'm hoping that this will be the only problem I experience (besides regular maintenance, of course).

Is there any web site where I can check out the TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) for Hyundai? I seem to remember a post waaaaaaaaaaaay back regarding the throttle sensor, and now I'm concerned about "what else" I should be ready for. Thanks. I'll keep everyone posted on whether or not any other "problems" come up. Like I said, we were pretty lucky not to get stranded on our road trip, and even luckier to have the service department get us back on the road so quickly. That's the plus side...
  • dovid2dovid2 Member Posts: 90
    Do you need any employees? I'd love to work for
    a company that buys GT's as company cars!
    You can check for TSBs in Edmunds' Maintenance Guide. This will give you a brief description of the technical service bulletin.

Also, here's an article from Edmunds.com that you may find interesting: You, Your Vehicle and the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB). Scroll down that page for information on how to get the complete TSB. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
  • storkdudestorkdude Member Posts: 26
    I had left my GT sit for almost a year as I was on a prolonged business trip. The battery was pretty much dead, as I lost my stereo presets. (i left my radar detector on.) I charged it up and was on my way but whoa! None of the 4 gages worked! All were at zero! Engine cold, 0RPM, OMPH, empty tank as I'm whizzing down the highway with a toasty warm cabin and 212 miles till empty. I disconnected the battery for just a few seconds then every thing worked properly after the "soft reset." Just like my Palm Pilot does. I was thinking that it would have come in handy if I got pulled over for speeding--flip a switch and no speedo worko. "Sorry officer, as you can see, my instrumentation just died. I tried to guess 65mph as best I could. I'm going to get it fixed right now." Amusing to me, at least. Mine is still a creampuff w/ <7k miles, but one teeny scratch.
  • harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    whoa buddy...I understand that getting stranded for a few hours can be a rough experience...but aren't you both over-reacting a bit? That is why they have roadside assistance and warranties for...

My roomie had the same thing happen with her Sonata (well, not quite the "same) and we were stranded at a mall for a few hours, and because it was the weekend, we had no chance of getting the car serviced (Sunday afternoon) and since we were in town, we were not eligible for even a cab ride home from the mall or the dealership.

Long story short, we had to call my parents, arrange for a ride home and eat it. She said the same things about her car...it sucks, its not reliable...

Well, it was a simple problem that was unfortunately disabling the car, was promptly fixed, and no problems since then. It is the only thing that has gone wrong with her car for the first 15k miles...and while inconvenient, was easy enough to get past.

I wouldn't take the Santa Fe off the list just yet. Maybe think about how harshly you are judging your sub-$15k car. Nothing is perfect.

My "reliable" Honda decided to break a window clip, not once, but twice, within the 60k miles I owned it, both times in winter, both times during a weekend. One weekend I had to drive 40 miles to work, one way, both Saturday and Sunday with my window half-way open and the temperatures were ranging -5 to 10 degrees F...now that had me cursing, but the car was mostly trouble-free other than that...a few weak clips, a bad throttle sensor...how fast should we call a car, or a manufacturer a lemon?

If it were me, I would wait at least until you burn another throttle sensor in the next 10k miles...then you might have a point. :)

(Not trying to be a jerk...just pointing out that you might be over-sensitive about your car's problem.)
  • th003gth003g Member Posts: 149
    i have a 01.5 Cobalt blue GT with 7900miles on it (8 mile commute and lately a 20mile roundtrip to class plus a crx si for those other days) i feel the gt looks best without a spoiler... i've been spoiled by my crx... it just feels so much quicker than my auto GT... the gt feels downright sluggish in comparison...
    I just recently spent a load of money to replace the stereo with a kenwood excelon mp3 head unit kicker front components and kenwood rear speakers with a basslink sub and a kenwood 4ch amp.... sounds sooo much better even though stock setup is very good...
    main problems to look for: none...thats why i like my GT
    at this point with my add ons (rims, stereo) i'd be breaking even with the price of a new civic ex
  • harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    did i kill this thread, or is everyone just lurking?
    I don't know about everyone else, but I haven't been posting much because with 25,000 miles, my GT just hums along with no problems to report, no new mods (I can't convince the wife that a set of Eibach springs are vitally important) and no new discoveries about the car... Hmm, on the other hand, I discovered another use for the GT's hatch the other day. I was shopping at the home improvement store with my barely two year old daughter. After loading two 10' long sections of 3" plastic drainage pipe into the hatch, I grabbed the little munchkin out of the cart to put her in her seat. Oops, major blowout. Not wanting to trek all the way to the far end of the store (do they have diaper changing stations in the men's room at Home Depot?) and not wanting her to soak her car seat, I looked around the car for a suitable surface to do a quick change. The back seat now has three kid seats installed (just testing the fit on the third one -won't need it 'til mid July) and the front passenger seat had the pipes running across it on their way into the foot well. The drivers seat doesn't have room due to the steering wheel. I was to the point of actually considering changing the ankle biter's diaper on the hood, when I realized that the hatch would be the perfect spot. I laid her blankie across the floor (making a mental note to wash it as soon as we got home!) and did the dirty deed. For once I was glad that the GT has a bit of a "lift over", giving her a measure of privacy -- not that SHE cared, she loved the whole thing!

On another GT-related note, I'm planning on driving to the top of Pikes Peak when the road opens for the season. I wonder if mine will be the first GT to have conquered the 14,110 foot peak. As rare as GT's are around here, it likely it will be, but there's no way to know for sure.
  • shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    Been a while since I last posted, so here goes:

2002 Elantra GT 5-door, Pewter, Automatic Trans, ABS, Traction Control, Moonroof. Bought in November, 2001. Approaching 10,500 miles. Used mainly as a commuter car, but took a round trip last October from Pittsburgh, PA to Fripp Island, SC (near Beaufort). The car performed flawlessly!

Mileage has been steadily increasing, from a low in the 21-23 MPG range to an average of about 28.5 MPG now. On the trip to SC I was averaging in the mid 30's, thanks to lots of steady speed highway miles.

Problems have been minimal...mainly some rattles, most of which have been fixed. I've had 2 oil changes done by the dealership (so far no stripped oil pan threads!). On the last visit I had them balance the tires, as I was experiencing some shimmy at low speeds. Trouble is they calibrated their balancing machine wrong and I ended up with a very wicked vibration at highway speeds. (They subsequently apologized and corrected the mistake.)

No mods (except for a rear license plate bracket) ;-)

Overall, I'm mightily impressed with the GT and the amount of content you get for such a low price. Kudos and thumbs up to Hyundai!
  • kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    I took the plunge today and bought a '03 GT Hatchback in blue. I traded a '01 ECHO w/45k miles on it so it's a good thing I did my research ahead of time re:blue book values and Edmunds TMV. After much back and forth, I ended up with pretty much the same monthly as the ECHO. The GT is very smooth and I have the 5-spd. The shifter is very silky but the throw from 4th-5th seems very long. I haven't noticed any notchiness or hesitation while shifting but the clutch requires a bit more travel than did my ECHO. 5-spd GT Hatchbacks seem like a hard-to-find item as one dealer I checked with online didn't have ANY. All of them were auto's. I can hardly wait to have the engine broken in! Btw, I'm getting the a/c filter element from the Tiburon to install in mine. The filter is $51 but should last for one year.
  • mxo11mxo11 Member Posts: 27
    That was a neat story, GT Fan! In a couple of years I'll be back with a story of my own!

Now, the update:
    My GT is a 2002 Obsidian Black; it's got manual transmission and all options. Bought it on 12/14/2001 and has close to 17K miles on it. I use it for daily commute (~ 10 miles round trip) but every two weeks there's a trip to the Wilkes-Barre area in PA. No problem climbing up I-81.

No mods. Average mileage has gone up to ~ 29 miles/gl; maximum has been 32 (highway). Four oil changes (at roughly every 3500 miles) plus the 15K service, which included tire rotation. Dealer suggested alignment but haven't gotten it done yet.

Problems: mostly noises. The dealer added grease to the struts (???) because there was a rattling noise and got it fixed; however, there's an additional noise coming from the front passenger window/middle pillar that has remained unidentified. I noticed a little paint chipping in the front. I may have to change the windshield: it was cracked by a stone hit, about 3/4 inch in diameter, in my last trip to PA. I was quoted $270 for the whole thing but I can't remember what my deductible is so I don't know if it's worth to call the insurance agent yet. Shifting is ok but it was smoother at the beginning (normal?). When I learned how to drive manual, I was taught there should always be a short pause at neutral to make the transition less harsh.

Overall, I love my GT!
    Congrats on your new '03 GT! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    Thanks Revka! Now here's a rundown of my first 4 hour trip:
    Pluses-
    *very solid and quiet ride
    *steering stiffens up at speed nicely
    *hit rainstorm and the rear window was kept clear by aerodynamics
    *tranny shifts smooth as silk
    Nits-
    *seat is very contoured towards edge and forces your behind to stay in one place...need to learn how to sit again! ;)
    *clutch travel seems very long...hard to work the gears quickly-also, 4th-5th is awkward
    *rear seat room limited by lack of toe space under front seats
    Overall, it's an amazing bargain! I love the solid build and features galore. The structure seems to be very solid and rattle free. Being a hatchback, I was expecting some noises but none so far.
    I opened the hood and was amazed at how everything is hidden under vanity covers. Very clean looking.
    I can hardly wait to break the engine in so I can have some fun on my next trip across the high desert!