Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• wmoseswmoses Posts: 212
    Well I was very glad that I was not able to find and buy the March 2002 issue of AutoWeek
    The article that others have mentioned on this forum can be read at

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=reviews&content_code=01329730

It is one of the most condescending articles I have seen about this car, and I have read pretty much all of the reviews out there.
    When one reads this "review" and the others I have linked to on my page, it is easy to see which one is the "oddball".
  • risa5risa5 Posts: 23
    I got to test the TCS the last week or so and yes it does work. My street doesn't get plowed and I was too lazy to shovel my driveway. Anyway, my sloped driveway was mostly crunchy snow and ice while the street had patches of solid ice. The TCS kicked in a few times and got me going safely. I felt completely in control.
  • gt_fangt_fan Posts: 159
    How did the PBS people over at Motorweek manage to get a 8.0 second 0-60 out of the 5spd GT, when it took the Autoweek enthusiasts 9.0? I don't recall seeing such a large discrepancy between tests of the same model vehicle before. Weather, driver weight, altitude, pavement, tightness of the engine and driver skill can have an effect, but a full second? Was the Autoweek crew pulling a trailer or did the Motorweek folks use a JATO assist? Hmm.

I'm happy to report that my GT has reached the 3000 mile mark and it's lifetime mpg is up to 31 mpg. Of course I drive like an old granny around town, except for a top speed run I made last week. Got it up to 115 mph before traffic came up (Rather quickly as you might imagine. Wish those pedestrians would stay off the sidewalk). I don't recommend that kind of activity and I probably won't go that fast again, but the car seemed relatively stable at that speed. I've heard talk of an engine governor that kicks in at 115, but I guess I didn't go quite fast enough to experience it.
    gt_fan wanted to know --

"How did the PBS people over at Motorweek manage to get a 8.0 second 0-60 out of the 5spd GT, when it took the Autoweek enthusiasts 9.0?"

Good question, although I believe the MotorWeek numbers based on the fact that I saw the show and heard John Davis say the 0-60 time, so it is not just a typo on the website. Also, I have seen other reviews where they quote 9+ second times, meaning that ability to do a proper acceleration run (or series of runs) varies from person to person, technique to technique.

MotorWeek, IMO, gives fair reviews of the vehicles that it test drives and does not bring preconceptions to the table the way AutoWeek seems to have done.

Lets just be glad, as Hyundai Elantra GT owners, that Consumer Reports don't do the acceleration numbers. Their well-known bias along with their questionable technical ability would certainly see even slower elapsed times. Just my $0.02...
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Posts: 591
    clutchless shifting, etc. will give impressive 0-60 times that few average consumers will see. The difference can be quite large between using these rough techniques and simply flooring an automatic hard or shifting a stick at redline without using other tricks. Some take their best run, others take the average. Air temperature makes a big difference too.
  • ralphwigralphwig Posts: 2
    I've boiled down my new car choice to either the Elantra GT or the Toyota Matrix, based primarily on the storage capacity. I haven't had a chance to see a GT up close - can you owners tell me if a dog can fit in the very back section with the seats in the upright position? Use a sliding scale of "poodle" to "great dane" if that helps. I believe the cubic feet is 18.1/15.1 GT/Matrix, but I'm a bit concerned about the sloping window.
    Thanks in advance
    My Greyhound can just barely stand up in the hatch if he's up against the back seats. He's very tall for his breed (think Afghan hound size), so I'm sure that breeds like Labs and German Shepards would have plenty of headroom. Of course Murphy, the very retired racer that he is, would just as soon stretch out on his dog bed for the duration of the trip anyway.
  • 5port5port Posts: 395
    Wmoses:

I been subscribing to Autoweek for years and I have to agree that the GT review was one of the most biased I have read. Its like he made his mind up before the review. I insist my engine is not raucus and loud above 4000 rpm. Whats noise to one person is a song to another.

They also said that the new Tiburon weights 3028 pounds. Wow is that baby heavy. Where did they put the weight?
  • bri70bri70 Posts: 147
    "Its like he made his mind up before the review. "

Yes. Because it is a Hyundai. Hyundai is still shorted by some auto journalists. I thought Edmunds review of the 2003 Tiburon focused too much on subjective criticism on cosmetics i.e. the headlights were overdone etc.

Too often a review of a Hyundai product ends with "it does not reach the refinement of its Japanese counterparts..." or "Hyundai is a step closer to being taken seriously." Blah, blah, blah. Step closer my rear end. They are there. I would take a GT over any other car under 17K out there. And I would even take the Hyundai over some cars costing more than 18K.
  • jarviskejarviske Posts: 2
    Can anybody recommend a good Hyundai dealer in the Bay Area? I live in the East Bay so the closer to that area, the better... thanks!!
  • dougndodougndo Posts: 132
    Let me start by saying I've never seen an unbiased review, and I'll quickly follow by acknowledging that some reviews are more biased than others.

I grew up and lived in N Ohio and S Michigan for over 40 years before coming to CA, and I can tell you two things: my Dad was UAW and I subscribed to AutoWeek for a very long time. While my Dad and his buddies tolerated European "automobiles" they despised Asian "cars," and when AutoWeek first started to give any real press to Hondas, Nissans, and Toyotas, there was a lot of hell to pay for some of the AutoWeek staff.

A number of those early AutoWeek pieces on Japanese cars were pretty condescending, and my Dad's UAW brethern were still steamed that the cars were even in the magazine. Now AutoWeek regularly uses Japanese "automobiles" as the standard of quality.

So, while it's true that the Tiburon and the GT (especially) got less than objective coverage, I'm stoked that they got covered at all. I've already voted three times with my dollars for Korean Hyundais, so I don't need AutoWeek to tell me anything, but I do like to be able to tell my gearhead friends, "Yeah, the Tiburon and the Elantra GT were featured in AutoWeek--FOUR pages for the Tibby, plus the cover." They respond, "Really?" I say, "Yeah, really. AutoWeek took Hyundais seriously enough to drive them, what the heck is stopping you?"

So far, three accepted the challenge. One bought a 5-speed 2001 Tiburon and will be making SharkRacing some money, and another just brought home an Elantra GT instead of the Mazda his wife wanted. Once they try the cars, the value and quality equation speaks for itself.
  • zigliflerziglifler Posts: 99
    I don't know about the bay area but i got mine in sac . it might be worth a drive up to get one here . Go hyundai in folsom quoted me 200 over invoice , and i got mine at Maita Hyundai in sac and got it for 200 lower than Go . I did call all the hyundai dealers in bay area and none had any at the time i got my GT (jan 3) but i am sure they had some now in stock . a week after i got mine a salesman from fairfield hyundai call me back and told me they had one in cobalt blue, the color that was my first choice but i had already got a chanti red one . But what i would do is go to all the area webpages and email them you are interested to buy . i am sure they will all match or beat each other and you can get a great deal . but make sure u aren't set on only 1 color because when i was looking IF they had gt's they only had 1-3 tops on each lot if they had any at all . Good luck
    dougndo hit the nail on the head when he said --

"Once they try the cars, the value and quality equation speaks for itself."

I think that is the whole problem with some people and their attitudes towards today's Hyundais. They are _scared_ to try one because if they do, they would be very surprised, pleased and shocked -- all at the same time. Then the value and warranty will kick into the equation, and the left side of the brain will tell them that it just doesn't make sense to buy something else. And if they end up buying this Hyundai, what will their "conventional-wisdom" friends think ... they will be subject to ridicule and have to defend themselves, etc ...

Nah ... better to leave them Hyundais alone, and not try any of them, in case it up and bites their wallet. Scared, I say. ;-)

We know better.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Edmunds has an interesting "consumer ratings & reviews" section in their New Vehicle pricing guide that you may want to check out.

This functionality lives in the "consumer opinions" area of the new vehicle detail page, and allows users to rate a vehicle on a number of different criteria (1 to 10 scale), as well as add his/her own free-form comments.

Here's a direct link to the 2002 GT Elantra Consumer Ratings & Reviews. Also, if you own a GT Elantra, we look forward to seeing your review there. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • risa5risa5 Posts: 23
    Something is off with the Ratings scale. The ratings scale doesn't agree with what people wrote. It seems like it used to be on a 5 point scale then switched to a 10 point. Most of the numbers seem to have been converted, but how does a review that ends with "I just plain love this car!" end up with only 4 out of 10?
  • estoesto Posts: 136
    The second Elantra GT consumer review rates the GT with a 4.0, but the last sentence is:
    "I just plain love this car!". The third review says: "I'd give it a 4.5 if the scale allowed" for
    a very positive review, which seems to indicate the author is looking at a 1-5 scale.
    Also, the last review is for an Elantra GLS sedan, not a GT hatchback.

Erik
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Yes, I see what you mean. I sent a copy of those reviews along with your messages to my manager. I'll let you know as soon as I hear something. This may take a little time to figure out... since it needs to go through a couple different departments/ladders. Hope you understand. Thanks very much for the feedback... and for your patience.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • Getting back to 0-60 times, I believe that Autoweek was simply reprinting numbers supplied by Hyundai, whereas MotorWeek gave the results of their own testing. As to why the numbers differ so much, however, it's all a matter of luck, location, and technique (which, if you recall the stink over 0-60 times published for the Lamborghini Diablo, can sometimes include burning up a clutch in a single run).
  • I drove by a Toyota dealership yesterday in my 2002 Cardinal Red Elantra GT 5spd and decided to take a look at the Toyota Matrix. I am sorry but that car is butt ugly. You really have to see it in person to know what I mean. Of course what looks good is matter of opinion but, it looks like a squat station wagon with big doors, I do give Toyota this they have alot of cargo space and a 180hp engine in the XRS but I will take the GT thankyou. I looked at the price tag, it had weather protection package, and bumper gaurds and 6 cd changer for over 20 grand. This car does not have leather are side impact airbags, thats another option. Seating is high in the car and it seems to have a pretty high roofline, but I coudnt get over how large and square the doors are. I just drove away with a smirc on my face and in knowing that I made the right choice and saved 6000 dollars on my purchase. I also was turned off by the Toyota sales people, talk about arrogant. Well thats my two cents worth.
    This morning I saw just the third GT I've ever seen on the road (excluding mine). It was black with tinted windows and looked really nice. Gee, at this rate everyone in this city of 350,000 will be driving one! (hehe) It's actually kind of nice having a really exclusive look without having really exclusive mechanicals that are impossible to get fixed!