Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Acadia Transmission Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,064
    sportsman25,
    If you would like for us to check into this situation further with you and your dealership, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, the name of your dealership, and a brief recap of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • Well I also have gotten the news that my 2007 GMC Acadia needs a new transmission due to bad wave plates. Our warranty expired in May and we have 103,000 miles on it, so also not too far out of warranty like many others on this site. After reading this blog, I was sure that nothing good could happen from this. However, to my surprise, my dealer just called me back and is offering a deal to us through GMC to put in a new transmission and fix the AC issues (also seem to be a common thread) for $2600! I am considering myself very lucky because we can't afford a car payment right now, so although I agree this car seems to be a lemon I am going to fix it. I'll report back later on how it is running.
    Looking forward to an update, hawkfan92!

• I did but after a 20minutes overseas phone call I was asked to call another call customer center but in the UAE since our car VIN doesn't show up. Oh well
  • Just an update. An update on our sorry situation. We received a call from our local agency to come and pick up the finished car. When we tried to test the car it turned out to have a very loud sound coming from the transmission system section. I I have no idea why they did not test or notice it before calling us. A mechanic took a look at it. And determined that the transmission needs to be rebuilt (for the third time in less than 5 months)!!.

In conclusion: we almost paid another $3700 for absolutely nothing.. Like the first time

On the plus side they gave us a very basic Aveo until they finish the Acadia this time For our truble
  • I now get to be part of the fun! Only 55k miles and the transmission is toast...and only 7 months after the warranty expires!

The quote is $4,200+ from the dealer.

Seems like this is a common issue. Are folks getting support from GM or am I on my own?

Thanks for any responses.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,129

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

lptexas,

We're sorry to hear about the transmission on your Acadia. While we cannot make any promises up front, if you would like for us to check into this further please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and the name of our dealer, as well as a brief recap of the situation for us).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I will never by another American car. I have an 2000 Toyota Avalon and a 2007 GMC Acadia.
    I have spent more money in 5 years on the Acadia and yet my Avalon in 13 years old. This car of course if out of warranty and has about 62K miles on it. Two weeks ago I spent close to $900.00 in repairs to have the Power Steering pump replaced, front brakes, and muffler. The tow truck just dropped off my car and the transmission is shot. I have pages and pages of service records of all the repairs and recalls that have been done to this car. We have been the dealership for years that we think there may be something wrong with the transmission but they said no. I see many posts from frustrated consumers with the same problems. Transmission and steering. I have also asked my dealership for the number to GMC but they tell me that they will only tell you to talk to the dealership. Can someone please tell me how much a transmission is going to be for this car? :lemon:
  • I would strongly recommend that you call GM and be persistent. We went thru the same thing and although the entire process took about 3 weeks,( and only 2 days of that were mechanical) it was worth it! GM agreed to pay anything over 1000$ for our new transmission. The downfall is if they pay for any of it we were told the warranty goes from 3yr/100,000 mile to a 1yr/12,ooo mile warranty. Stupid since it is the exact same transmission, but we figure it gives us time to wear the tires we bought 3 days before the transmission went out and look for a new, non-GM vehicle! I would also suggest filing a claim with the NHTSA. I was told by the NHTSA if they have enough complaints they will force a recall and then GM will have to reimburse us any out of pocket money for the transmission. It is ridiculous that they do not back-up their professional grade better than this, but it will never change if we, as a whole, don't voice our complaints!! Call GM everyday and take notes of who you talk to!
    gaylemd1,

Did you get a Service Request started when you called into the GMC Customer Assistance Center? If you wanted to forward that number (71-**********) to us via email (socialmedia@gm.com) we'd be glad to check into the progress on the case.

• Thank you for your help! I have just sent the information you requested!

Hope to speak with you soon,

sportsman25
  • Can you please provide me with the telephone number to the GMC Customer Assistance Center
  • You should also file a complaint at www.nhtsa.gov
    Sure thing, gaylemd1!

They can be contacted at 800-462-8782 and their hours are as follows: Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm ET; Closed Sunday.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • sunbeamtigersunbeamtiger Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    Have a 2008 we bought new and now has 62000 miles. The 5 year warranty expires in Apr. Am on leave (in the military) 760 miles from home visiting the in laws. Transmission failed the day we got here. Dealer has it now and will hopefully get it back in a few days. I fully intend on dumping the vehicle as soon as I can........the damn thing is just about paid off too.

Shame on you GMC. This type of conduct after the bailout too.
  • My 2007 failed with under 50,000 miles in June of 2011. I was still under warranty so I was lucky. I traded it in it right after the repair. Got a decent trade in value (I took good care of it). GMC was horrible during the repair. I went with an infiniti instead and probably will never buy another GM vehicle because of this.
  • Well...looks like our family is another one affected by GMC Acadia's issues. We have a 2008 and have had many issues. A constant knocking, shifting sound for 2 years that could never be solved, stearing, breaks, air conditioner, electronic, and now the transmission is out. Our 5 year warranty ran out the end of November 2012. We are told it could cost $4,000. This is horrible for a car that has been nothing but problems and now needs a new transmission at 60,000 miles. We are frustrated and will not take no for an answer from GMC. We cannot pay this and will be persistent.
  • Make sure you file a complaint with nhtsa.gov. Also work with GMC customer service, but be prepared that it is a crap shoot with them.
    sunbeamtiger,
    We're sorry to hear that your holiday travels were interrupted like this. If you want for us to check into this with the involved dealership, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a brief summary of the situation).

tedra33,

It sounds like you may already be working with Customer Service. However, if you aren't and would like for us to start checking into this, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a brief summary of the situation so far).

• 31 days from the date of the 5 year expiration of the power train warranty, not the mileage, only
    54613 miles on this car, the transmission, the transmission computer and something called valve bodies are out on the car. Estimated cost of repairs $4500.00. GMC could care less. Not that the warranty means much anyway, the power steering went out at 34,000 miles, alledgedly fully covered and I still had to pay 50% of the repair to get my car back from the dealer. To anyone thinking of purchasing any GM car, from any of their divisions --- don't do it. Clearly GM is returning to profitability at the expense of their customers by cheaping the quality and not standing behid their product.
  • Hi:
    My 2011 Acadia failed on Dec 24 as well. I was coming to a stop sign, the engine light came on, and when I went to accelerate the car would not move. The RPM increased, and the engine reved, but the car would not move. I tried shifting into low and from neutral to drive, nothing. No other sounds, leaks, indications, nothing. Had to get a tow to the dealer who now has the car. Dealer says they can't replicate the problem, and the computer is blank. They are shrugging their shoulders. Do you mind sharing what your failure was? Is it similar?
    unhappy123,
    We're sorry to hear about your Acadia's transmission. Are you currently working with our Customer Assistance Center or with us via email (socialmedia@gm.com)?

gmdoesntc,
    We're sorry that your dealership is having some difficulty getting this resolved. If you would like for us to follow up on this with your dealership, please email us more information at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a brief summary of the concern).

• Shame on you GM for seeing all of these very similar stories of low mileage and tranny, steering, AC, etc. problems and doing nothing about it. I got my tranny work done (warranty expired 6 or 7 months prior) with a huge discount after calling GM customer service and speaking with Larra. But I am still having trouble getting my Chevy Cobalt repaired properly (blown engine) under warranty. Both vehicles went down on the same day and the dealer had the cars for almost 3 weeks. Would not lend me a courtesy car and totally pigged up the inside of my Cobalt and actually damaged the Cobalt transmission when engine was installed. Then they installed a used tranny in the Cobalt. When I got the Cobalt back, the automatic gear shifter was loose and the engine cover was just laying on engine because they never put the nipples on the engine that the cover snaps on to. I told GM that I have no confidence in this repair shop now and I would like to go to another dealer to have cover put on correctly and the shifter looked at. The person I talked to handling the case, Matt, agreed but when I went to the other dealer, they said GM never contacted them and would not do the work unless I agreed to an $822 charge to do the work!! I called GM and said whats going on and they said they would cover all but $500. The work was supposed to be under warranty so I called the dealer and said don't do anything. I went to get the car and they wanted to charge me $80 to diagnose the problem!! Talk about insult to injury! I basically told them to kiss my you know what and left with the car. Needless to say, I traded the Acadia in already and I will NEVER but another GM product again.
  • Hi:
    Just heard from my dealer that GM recommends installing an "Input Speed Sensor" to address the issue of my 2011 Acadia (all of a sudden will not accelerate, as if it is in neutral when it is in drive, RPM increases and engine revs, just goes nowhere). Has anyone had a similar recommendation? Did it fix the problem?
  • I broke down on the side of the road this morning in my wife's 2008 GMC Acadia, and found out this afternoon that I have to replace the transmission. For the last year and a half or so, it has been in and out of the shop getting worked on. Luckily, I had a warranty so I didn't have to come out of pocket for much of it. But now that my warranty has expired, I will have to foot the bill for one of the most expensive parts in an automobile. This vehicle has been a thorn in my side with all the repairs needed. This is quite frustrating. I can't say that I will never buy another GM vehicle, as my friend has a Silverado, and it hasn't been anything but good to him, but I will shy away from GM vehicles, if at all possible.
  • Well, you think you got problem. Read the Saturn Outlook section:

#515 of 515 2008 Saturn Outlook XR AWD / Trans problem by mngmcarowner Dec 27, 2012 (11:21 pm)

Well it is New Years, and it has been since Thanksgiving since my 2008 Saturn Outlook XR AWD brook down due to transmission problem. I got it fix and it cost me $3,000. That's my kids Christmas present rite there. It is sad that GM wouldn't care or do anything to help. My kids were sad because daddy have to spend $3,000 out of broke dad's pocket to get a GM vehicle fixed. My kids were sad because they did not get anything for Christmas. I had contacted GM by phones, emails, and letters. GM told me to go screw myself.

Well, GM could continue doing what they do best. Turn their back on all of us (GM vehicle owner) or they could start doing something rite now, or end up like TOYOTA.

TOYOTA: Lexus LS400 that, in six separate incidents, accelerated on its own and nearly caused several dangerous rear-end collisions.

2008 Saturn Outlook: Same thing happen to my 2008 Saturn Outlook and I call, email, and letter to GM and they told me is not there problem and not enough complaint out there.

Toyota: but with all the issues we've had with Toyota, I would have liked to see them step forward and do the right thing. So many of the letters we've received say, 'Sorry, it's not our fault, it's yours.' "

GM: Letter and phone call to me, " we are sorry to hear that you are having problem with your GM vehicle but we can't help you at this moment ".

Toyota: Payout from Lawsuite

GM: Payout from Lawsuite, WHEN? :

P.S. Don't bother calling, email, or send letter to GM. Because they will denied everything. Hack ya. I send letter to GM president since Thanksgiving and one of their customer service people call me and told me that GM can't help me or my families. :cry: My kids were crying because daddy can't buy them any Christmas gift. Oh GM told me to call Santa....hohoho
    We're sorry to hear that the transmission went out on the Acadia, peevedgmcown1. Keep us posted on your progress with the dealership, and if you would like for us to check into anything further for you we can be contacted at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, and a brief summary).