Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Acadia Transmission Problems

Comments

• I purchased an 08 Acaidia and have some of the same problems. It started with the service airbag light and I've now had it it for that twice. It is also currently acting up again as well. But worse I am now having transmission problems, no reverse and it's stuck in 3rd gear. Manual shifting doesn't work and I can't accelerate over 35mph. Help!!!!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,166
    tlewis1314,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please send me your VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Hi, Christina,

Thanks for posting back. The vin number is: 1gkev337x8j297001. The mileage is 44,000 and we took it to team chevrolet here in scottsbluff,ne. They have told me that the transmission needs repair and it will be covered under warranty. They have also provided us a rental car. So far great service. Thanks for looking into this Issue. I will keep you updated on my end.

Todd
  • I am so disappointed. After buying well-tuned Japanese cars, I finally decided to support USA manufacturing and General Motors and what do I get for it? An overpriced gas guzzler with an engine with known defects that now requires a TOTAL transmission rebuild after only 58K miles. Can you believe this? Also how many years is GMC going to hide the fact that they sold a faulty drivetrain.

It's really telling when you pull into the dealer service center and they say "let me guess the transmission, right?" or "yeah, 2007 and 2008 have very problematic transmissions....I would be lying if this is the first one that has come through here." Wow, what a confidence builder after shelling out $38K (and more like $45K after interest is computed)

I have never hadthis type of stress or disappointment over a car before with $500 per month payments in this economy and the car's engine can't even run longer than my toro lawnmower ! What's this going to be worht when it comes time to resell.

Also, talk about disingenuous advertising. The EPA mileage numbers are way over stated. Why is the EPA not fining GMC for this; oh yeah I forgot.

This car has had a few recalls, electrical, wipers, seatbelt, etc. Not a big deal in car terms. But the transmission; that's another story. It is the heart of the engine. As the service tech put it the design is faulty and all of the critical parts are wholly compromised once a plate slips. The worst part is that the design flaw cannot be solved to my knowledge so its a lemon.

I think people should think class action here folks. Let me know if you haev a good attorney.
  • what it will take is for GM to make a transmission that will fit to your vehicle that has none of the defects in it. They can keep repairing it over and over but the design flaw makes it fail after only a few miles. Like you said its a huge disappointment to invest heavily in this car and see it break down all the time. Little wonder GM is in the place it is...in fairness they should repair it properly under goodwill.
    rspill,

EPA is responsible for providing the fuel economy data that is used on the fuel economy label (or window sticker) on all new cars and light trucks and not General Motors. For more information regarding EPA please visit: http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/basicinformation.htm

By chance have you spoken with GM Customer Assistance? Could you please email us your VIN? We would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • hydro8hydro8 Posts: 2
    I have 07 Acadia bought new. The trans started acting up today 55K. Stuck in 2nd or 3rd. I made it home from 4mile trip to pick up my daughter. The trans has always shifted funny. It's how the CVT (Continuous Variable Transmission) trans are. Don't like it but its what i got. Called the dealer they will check it out next week. I hope all is covered under the 100K/5yr. My brother is a trans mechanic for more than 24yrs and these CVT trans are not liked by most. Majority of trans shop wont even touch them. Best to see the dealer. He highly discourages trans flushing. When you flush the trans you stir sediment up and can cause more bad than good. We have had some other issues like gears striping on electric motor for the rear hatch after a few months. Power steering whines. It was driving me crazy. I changed fluid when that didn't work. I replaced the cap. It helped some. I still think im getting small amount of air in the system which is causing the noise. The rubber seal on the power steering cap is to small doesn't seal properly. This summer the a/c stopped working. Took to dealer and they did a software update it cost me $100 for the diagnostics. ABS/TC light came on although brakes seemed to be working fine. Check the brake fluid all good so i thought. I couldn't figure what that one out with my wife 7month pregnant i needed to get these brakes fixed fast so I took it to the dealer. It turned out they put about 1.5 oz of break fluid. only charged me 1/2 of the diagnostics. That was some expensive brake fluid LOL! So the fluid level sensor is very sensitive. Hard lesson learned that time. Overall we love the Acadia not happy with the trans. Sounds like there truly is a design flaw with the CVT trans. I see lots of others with trans issue with low mileage.

v/r
    hydro
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 551
    Something is wrong with your posting. The Acadia does not have a CVT transmission. It is a regular six speed automatic. It has never had a CVT. This is the same vehicle as the Buick Enclave and Saturn Outlook. They have all had similiar problems. Water leaks, transmission problems, etc.
  • hydro8hydro8 Posts: 2
    Yep you are right no CVT trans. It has the 6T75 six speed auto. This trans does shift smoothly to the point you don't really fill the gears change and i thought it was the CVT. Thanks for the input.

v/r
    hydro
  • After my 2007 Trans blew at 54K in august and took them over a month to fix coupled with horrible service from the dealer I traded in the Acadia once fixed for a non GM car.
  • rickrnrickrn Posts: 1
    We have a 2008 Acadia with 27,000 miles. It's the wife's car so we do not drive it long distances. Last night while on the freeway I hit the gas to pass another car. There was a brief pause then if felt like I was rear ended. It was so sudden that I still feel the effects today. Then this morning it did the same when I accelerated after a stop. Any ideas what it might be? We have already delt with the leaky water pump and headlamp covers that melted.
    rickrn,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with a dealer? If not, I would definitely recommend doing so. Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? Can you please send me your VIN? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Hi, this is my story

I'm a foreigner from Europe and apologize my spelling mistakes. Two weeks ago I bought a used GMC Acadia 2008 from Kona Madza Dealer here on Big Island Hawaii. While doing the test drive the engine lamp was illuminated. The dealer promised that they know the problem and that some engine parts have to be replaced before they hand over the car. Days later I wanted to pick up the car and Kona Madza apologized that GMC sent the wrong parts. But they handed over the car with the agreement that as soon they get the parts they will call me and replace the parts. Then, three days later the car broke midst of a junction. The engine was still running but the car did not move. I had to tow the car back to the dealer and after days they found out that the transmission might be broken. Because I bought the car on "as it is" I should also py the replacement/repair. I would understand if that would happen after months but not less than a week! Very frustrating, mainly after the dealer promised that they checked the car before they released it!

I would be very thankul for any help or ideas how I could get out of this misery.
    Thank you and best regards
    :mad: - Bruno
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    That "as is" sign pretty much sums up everything as it releases the dealer from any liability due to parts failure. You mentioned that the dealer received the wrong parts. What wrong parts did they receive that needed to be replaced?

You could call the general manager of the dealership and plead your case. Dealers have been known to do goodwill work. The chances are not very good that you will find any help from them but you won't know until you ask.

This Kona Mazda that you are referring to actually called Big Island Motors?
  • obyone

Thanks for your response and the hint to contact the GM.

I have to admit that I don't know exact what parts the dealer wanted to replace. It was just naiv but I didn't care about the details if they fix the engine problem.

Yes, I mean Big Island Motors

Best regards
    Bruno
    bgiovanoli,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please send me your VIN? I would like to look into this for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Christina

Thank you for taking care! The VID of the Acadia is 1GKER13738J117401

Best regards - Bruno
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    A lesson learned, hopefully it is not financially painful. Any time you buy something and the seller promises you something, make them put it in writing. If they refuse, then walk away from the deal and shop elsewhere. Good luck.
  • I feel the pain. I have had 2 tranny updates but nothing seems to work. I have a similar story that I found on a website to NHTSA. ref: http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2008/gmc/acadia/10352620.aspx I am going back to the dealer for the final time before I file my complaint. I am afraid for my safety and others.
  • i just recently purchased an 2008 acadia. Ihad to have the transmission rebuilt.It went out at only 50,000.I had a noise in the front end and not long after that i could not get it togointo reverse. the engine was revving on its own. took it tothe gmc dealership they said there was no reverse/ 3rd or 5th gear.the clutch was burnt and the drum was damaged.and the modular component was broken. I saved my money for a year just tobe able to afford the used acadia. i love the ride,the wayit looks.my family fits great init.i amjust worried that the transmissionis going to go out again.is that a good possibility? considering i still owe 18,000 0n the car.should i trade it in whileit isworth the most at this time? Is it just the 2007 and 08 models the oneswith problems? do the newer models have a better transmission design?frustrated??
  • Jessicajo,
    I’m glad to hear that your transmission was repaired. Hopefully, this won’t happen again. However, if you do need Customer Assistance to help you work with a dealership towards resolving a concern, or if we can look into warranty or safety recall information for your vehicle, please email us.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • thanks forthe reply. I hope idonot have anymore problems,love the car otherwise.
  • I have 2007 Acadia STL FWD with just under 112,000 miles on it that we bought new in June 2007. I've never been a fan of the sucky shifting this has had. 95% of our driving is highway miles because we live 25 miles outside of town. At about 89,000 miles I had it in the dealer because something was wrong with the transmission. He said don't worry we fixed it, it was just a module adjustment. Well guess what 14,000 miles later, after my extended warranty expires, they now tell me I need a new transmission at a cost of $4000. The transmission is now having a hard time shifting into 3rd and 5th gear and hesitates going from park to reverse. I am also on my third set of front struts. Seems a bit odd to only last less than 60k miles. The rear power hatch doesn't work anymore. The heated windshield washer fluid system has been disconnected because they started fires and burnt cars up. In 2004 I bought my daughter a new Huyndai Elantra and NEVER had an ounce, not one ounce, of trouble out of it and she put 140,000 miles on it before she traded it. I'll never buy another GMC product.
  • Allen8106,

I’m sorry to hear about the transmission concern you are having with your Acadia. If we can follow up with the dealership for you and further investigate, or look into warranty/recall information on your vehicle, please email us with your name, user name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your involved dealership.

Thank you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Sarah,

Thanks for your response and concern. Apprarently someone a GM does care about customers. After much discussion with the dealer they called GM who agreed to replace the transmission for a $200 deductable fee and the $168 diagnostics fee the dealer already had tied up in the car. I still have some issue with the struts not lasting but fortunately for me the original set and the second set were both replaced under waranty. It just doesn't make sense that they don't last any longer the 50k ror 60k.
  • Allen8106,

I'm glad to hear that the transmission has been taken care of - thank you for letting me know! If I can be of any service in the future, I'm here.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • gfbrowngfbrown Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    Yep, I took my 2008 Acadia in to have the power steering checked in 2009, and they put in a different fluid, and said it would still whine "a little" but not to worry. Went through the same song and dance several more times, before just giving up. I thought there was a recall on that at some point... And yes, it does still whine, a lot! And now they tell me the power steering pump might be going out. I have replaced the passenger side headlight a dozen times since 2008 when we bought it brand new. I won't even begin to describe the horrible process one must go through to replace the headlight-- I will just say that I was relieved to discover that I didn't have to "remove the wheel" as the dealer told me. The car started making a whining noise when the heater is first turned on on a cold day (it's not a belt). The dealership couldn't hear it since it was always warm when I dropped it off, and for some reason it didn't get very cold INSIDE their shop when I left it overnight... I gave up on that battle, and just listen to the whining it makes for the first few minutes every cold morning. Warranty went out in May, and in June I had to have the AC blower motor replaced while on a family vacation. And now, with only 62000 miles, the transmission is about to go out, and the rack and pinion is going on both sides. We don't live on a dirt road, and my wife has two carseats in the back (kids in both most days) and drives very conservatively. Fortunately the dealership (50 miles away) says the tranny is still under warranty, probably... The steering problems are not, and those will be out of my pocket. The service airbag warning has been coming on regularly for the past several months, and that is one more expensive problem in a long line of problems. We take care of the car and always have the scheduled maintenance done... I still owe $12000 on the car and didn't plan on having to get rid of it before it was even paid off, but I suppose that is another beating we will have to take. I have always driven my vehicles to well over 100 thousand miles with no major problems, but 62000?!?
    What a lousy car.... I should've bought a Toyota, but liked the room the Acadia had for my family without compromising on gas mileage, and without looking like a mini van... This wasn't my first GMC, but it WILL be my last. Tomorrow I will put the carseats in my truck and turn the keys over to my wife, and call the family and tell them we won't be there for Thanksgiving.
  • my parents also been having a lot of problems with the 2008 gmc acadia. we had the transmission rebuilt 1 time and they put in a new transmission in about 2months ago. the first time it wasnt going in reverse so we were on our way to take it in to the dealer to have it check out and on our way there the car just stop, my mom was pressing the gas petal and the car wasnt moving. so we had a tow truck come pick up the car. so they gave us a small car rental from carmax. and when we went to go get the car back they told us the rebuild it so we should have an problems, so on our way home the same thing happens the car just stopped and it wouldnt move so we called gmc main offices and we told them what was happening and we the tow truck took the car in the nexts day, the told just they werent going to rebuild it there just going to put in a new transmission and the gave us a car rental, but what we didnt it was that since we have a crossover/suv there supposed to give us a crossover/suv for rental instead of a small car and they pay for it now. so thats a plus ha. we today me it was raining and water is coming from the sunroof from the back seat so this is going to be our 8th times taking it in since my mom bought it in 2008 and she still owes 28,000 and the car only had 31,000 miles. I wish the could just give us a new car or our money back because it seem like i spend more time at the dealership getting fixs than going to school.
  • I just paid $2500 to have the transmission fixed. Seems like I had the same problems as other people (driving down the road, engine raced, sputtered, jerked) and somehow was feeling fortunate pulling into the dealership that I didn't stop on main highway in rush hour traffic over the lunch hour. I was late for a meeting, but I am not dead so feel lucky. Dealership couldn't get the vehicle to go forward so had to drive it around the lot in reverse and then they were so afraid of the car going crazy they pushed it around the lot for the week they had it fixing the tranny.

The vehicle has 125k miles and it looks like on here I should expect more issues. Had the leaks, replaced 3 wheels ball bearings, and the other issues. Should I feel lucky my problems started after 100k mile warranty was up? I love watching the dealers faces when they pull up my account and see all the work that has been done...I wonder if they just smell the money they know I will have to pay.

I get to drive by the plant in West Lansing where they make the Acadia, Buick Enclave, Chevy Traverse and see thousands more ready to ship out. I say a little prayer for the next guy that 1. They have fixed the obvious issues that have surfaced, 2. That I don't completely rebuild my car before I even pay it off once, thus buying a new car twice!

Good luck everyone!
  • Gfbrown,

How have things gone since this post? It sounds like you were bringing it into a dealership towards the end of it?

Looking forward to learning more about your situation,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service