Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Acadia Transmission Problems

Comments

• I have a 2008 Acadia. August 2012 - long drive home with my 6 year-old and we broke down two hours from home. Night in a shabby hotel, 1 taxi ride, and 1 rental car later and we needed to replace the water pump.

January 21, 2013: 1 hour from home with my now 7 year-old, 1 rental car and now we are replacing the wave plates and housing at a tune of $1500!

I will be logging onto NHTSA as well and NO! I will not buy another GMC after this!
  • just had my girlfriends 07 acadia towed to my mechanics shop. transmission stopped working while she was driving and barely made it out of a busy intersection. police had to come and make sure she was out of danger and stayed with her for 5 hours waiting on tow busy nite i guess.
    after reading everyones post on here i think we are in for some headaches. she has roughly 75k on it which seems to be the average of when this problem happens. seems that gm knows theres a problem and as far as a recall not being done because its not a safety issue is bs. just ask the police and my girlfriend that just sat on the side of the road wondering, not if but when will someone hit her. there needs to be some thing done about this and i dont want to see a post from gmcustsev, why because i seen it 50 times on this thread all bs. I think depending how this plays out i will contact a lawyer and see how to start a class action suit. i dont think it should be hard to find 1 lawyer not willing to make a name for himself exposing gm for all the crap tthey put people through. might even contact my local news all they have to do is look at all the forums full of basicly the same problems and complaints and they have their story. with all that being said if anyone can give me advice on this i would appreciate it.
  • gmcwoesgmcwoes Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    Yesterday, I had to merge over 4 lanes from 1 highway (I195) to another( I64) , the gears slid and my 2007 Acadia sluggishly accelerated. It was divine intervention -- traffic reduced and I managed to cross over to my exit. I noticed that my clock completely stopped. At my destination, I turned the Acadia off and on and the clock corrected to proper time. Concerned for my safety, I avoided highways, but
    experienced jerks, sputtering, shaking, gears shifting and low acceleration. The car had 1/2 tank of gas.
    I parked the Acadia in the garage. Hours later, I attempted to drive the Acadia but it would not Reverse. It would drive forward but it would not Reverse. WTH! I called the service dept. of the
    dealer that sold us the Acadia and asked a lot of questions, even whether the cold weather caused
    any issues w/Acadia. Then I got onto the forums and read for 3 hours and became ENRAGED! I could have been hit multiple times on the interstate yesterday. Divine Intervention saved my life.
    I am having the Acadia towed (at my expense) to a GMC dealer/service dept.

Where is GMC Customer Service?
    Who really what to do a lawsuit? I know plenty of attorneys and plan to call a couple of them today.
  • I would join in the lawsuit if anyone starts one...
    It is total BS tha GM has not recalled the transmission defects on these Acadia's but instead make us pay for their screw up.
    It enrages me that GM will help pay for some people repairs and not others such as mine because they say the milages was too high.. Really I drove a Ford Windstar that had over 200,000 miles on it that never had a transmission problem.
    Contact me if you do file a lawsuit and I will join because the transmission is not the first problem Ive had with my 2007 Acadia.

Rachel
  • I also would join a class action suit against GM. I would start one myself if I knew how. The thing that really chaps me is I bought a new Sierra 1 week before my wife's acadia had its breakdown. Never again for GM.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    keheitmann,
    We're sorry to hear about this situation. If you would like for us to check into this further with you and your involved dealership, please send us more details via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a brief summary of the situation).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
    edited January 2013
    Acadia is now at the dealer's service dept...they said these are known issues, seen 20 or more times. Could be computer mishap sending wrong info, could be wave plate or solenoid issue. There were many GMC cars/trucks scheduled ahead of us for service, could not get error code info before leaving. Truck had to be transported via flatbed...Home now waiting for the verdict.
    gmcwoes,
    If you would like for us to check into this further with your involved dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation so far).

• ok heres an update called dealership all warranties have expired told me to call gmcustsrv. did this told him about all the complaints here on edmunds about the same issue. he told me that edmunds is not a gm website and said that he had no knowledge of any custsvr rep anwsering post on this site. he said i have to tow my acadia to a dealer and have them look at it. so what it sound to me like i have to pay them to fix it even when my mechanic said the transmission was shot and he even knew of this problem. not to sure how to go about this with out getting screwed. anyone know of a lawyer willing to help us fight the good fight let me know please thanks
    edited January 2013
    This is now more unbelievable... wave plates broken & cost is $3600 to repair. Dealer's service department doesn't even stock the parts. It will take me some time to process this information. Where are we supposed to find $ to get our car back on the road -- thanks GM for punishing us for
    believing in your product and buying it too.

Not one word from Sarah or GM Customer Service. Did she just go off grid completely.

How much have out-of-warranty/early adopters have to pay for this repair?

What's the cost difference quoted for Rebuild and New transmissions?
  • the korean co. I worked for for 23 years started using low grade china material in GM transmissions and spindle bearings, after filing complaints with the SEC & FTC I was informed not enough information even though I submitted a large amount of copies and computer images , the goal of GM is to make it past the warranty period if possible and count on the government to bail them out when it catches uo with them
  • I just received my Acadia back from rpr shop and it was the plate in the transmission, repairman said its a common problem in the 07' models. Thanks GMC for your shoddy craftsmanship just for a bailout you obviously don't deserve...my cost was 2045.00 for a rebuild bc they said I caught it before it effected the other parts of the transmission. :lemon:
  • I just got my 2007 Acadia out of the shop today also!!!! they had to replace the wave plate also, so glad I bought the extended warranty and this was covered or I would have to pay thousands of dollars....GMC needs to recall this whole car!!!! They told me back in October when I first sent it to the dealer that nothing was wrong with my transmission and that it was sludge in the motor....I knew dam well it wasn't sludge!!!!! I brought it back this week after reading about the defective wave plates on the site and made the manager ride with me. He was stunned at the jerking that my car did!!! I told him it probably was the wave plate because of the things I've been reading and he said oh the internet just tells you the bad things about cars, don't believe everything you read! well low and behold 1 day later they called me and said it was the wave plate that was bad!!!! Can't believe how wonderful my car drives now...feels like I have a brand new car!!!!Too bad this car model has so many flaws....I really, really love my Acadia but lesson learned: Never Never buy a car the first year the car was manufactured!!!! wait a few years to get the kinks out!!!
  • Yep they do train them to say things like that....well, they didn't pull the wool over my eyes......I had all of my documentation that my oil was changed every 3,000 miles so they didn't have a leg to stand on. At first when the sludge comment came up I told them I would pay for the $200.00 sludge removal treatment that they were advising, then when that didn't stop the problem that they would reinburse me totally then fix the transmission!!!! of course they wouldn't agree to that! But ending up replacing it to their expense!!! Yep this is my first ans last GMC....but it's sad because my Acadia rides so good and is so comfortable and so wonderful to drive:((
  • I also have a 2007 Acadia with similar issues. I had the overheating problems last year along with a loss of power. It was under warranty at the time and they repaired the overheating issues. Now it is out of the five year warrant and with only 60,000 miles the transmission failed. Same scenario as others. I noticed it shifting hard and no power in reverse. On the way to the dealer I had a loss of power. I limped into the dealer to find out the tranny was dead. $4,100 replacement estimate. I called another tranny shop and got a $3,800 quote. I asked the service manager to get the area rep involved after reading this forum. I will let you know if we get any compensation.
    I did not know about the tranny issues until I searched for it. There was no warning on this failure. I noticed problems and decided to take it into the dealer the same day. I will file a complaint at the site above if I do not get any resolution.
  • I filed a complaint with GMC via this site and was issued a file# but because my 2008 Acadia is out of warranty was told they would not help with compensation.
  • I also have a 2008 Acadia with similar issues. I had the overheating problems last year along with a loss of power. It was under warranty at the time and they repaired the overheating issues. Now it is out of the five year warrant and with only 85,000 kilometeres the transmission failed. Same scenario as others. I noticed it shifting hard and no power in reverse
  • So like many on this forum/thread, i had the wave plate issue approx 14 days out of warranty. Dealer rebuilt the transmission as well as replace the steering rack for the third time! I don't know if this car will make another year without additional repairs. It seems i was luckier than most, the dealer cited a "Good Will" program by GM and the total out of pocket for me was $200.

One thing i have noticed is after the transmission repair, is the gas mileage is dismal, 11mpg in 70/30 city/hwy driving - much worse than prior, evening using the gas lightly. Also the idle "creep" when you take your foot off the brake is noticeably reduced, i have to use more gas than previous.

I now need to take it back to the dealer, but i am not hopeful that they will be able to re mediate it. I will just get the std response... transmission is functioning correctly... nothing to be done. But clearly something is wrong.

I loved the ride , the car has all the features I would want, but this has soured my whole experience with GM. I hope they can set this right.
  • I just had the wave plate on my 2007 Acadia replaced and I have also noticed this also about my gas milage!!!! my gas milage was great before but now seems I can watch the gas gage go down, I thought it was my imignation but evidently not!!!!!any suggestions??
    Any news, jimh27?