Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Acadia Transmission Problems

Comments

• Sarah,

So let me get this straight, you want me to pay your company to tell me what you and I already know. This vehical is a piece of junk and never should have been sold in the first place. GMC created a flawed design transmission on this year model and cannot not own up to their mistakes.

YOU SOLD THE CRAP....YOU FIX THE CRAP!
  • I 100% agree with the other post.... My Transmission broke in my 08 Acadia on Tuesday....No warning just all of a sudden no reverse, no drive, my Acadia only has 50,000 miles on it.... The transmission is crap. GMC knows it! I was so shocked to see the overwhelming number of people having problems with this car. GMC should take full responsibility for the design flaw. There should be a recall.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    lemon08acadia,

Our apologies that you're experiencing these transmission troubles with your Acadia. What are you plans on getting it addressed? Let us know if we can look into anything further for you (we can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • Sarah, my question to you is what is GM doing to address the problem?
  • To all my bretheren experiencing transmission problems with their Acadia. The results are in from a "detailed" review of my case.

$3600.00 bill for new transmission
    60k miles
    5 years, 5 months of ownership
    Zip. Zilch. Zero.

I was offered a $1500 incentive toward a new vehicle. Why would I spend $40k on a new GM that just failed to meet my expectations? Whoever recommended the incentive should be EMBARRASSED! Clearly I'm disappointed about the outcome but the offer of the incentive sent me over the edge.

By the way, I have $2800 in GM Earnings that will no longer be used (I've purchased eight (8) new GM vehicles over the last 20 years and am getting ready to inititate a new generation of GM owners, my sons who are 11, 13, and 15). I asked if they could be donated to another cause since I wont be using. Nobody had a clue. Figure there might be someone who could reallly use them but GM not able to help.

Good luck everyone. Moving on with Ford!
  • My 3-5 reverse clutch wave plate shattered in my 2008 Acadia transmission on Monday of this week (2/24/13) - all of a sudden it wouldn't shift properly and then wouldn't shift at all. Luckily I got it home without having an accident. The car has 53000 miles on it and we were THREE DAYS away from the 5 year warranty expiring. I am thanking my stars that it was covered but I think this is definitely a defect and should not have happened to a car that is less than 5 years old. If this had happened last week I would be livid with how much the repair would've been. I too am shocked to see so many others with the exact same problem that we had.

Now the dilemma we face is whether we should continue to roll the dice with this car and wait for more issues to come up with it or cut our losses and get another car (NOT a GM) before this one breaks down again now that the warranty has expired. Less than a year ago the water pump died and I'm now wondering what's going to fail on it next.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    We're glad to her that the warranty was still in effect and that this repair was covered for you, jenbeans. Let us know if there's anything we can check into for you!
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • scottmay3scottmay3 Posts: 17
    Something that GM could do is to implement a recall to fix the known issue. Wouldn 't that be best for your customers?
  • Jenbeans, you are so fortunate that you had warranty left otherwise GM would have left you holding the bag. Same story different verse, we are so sorry. Sarah... I'm guessing this is a full time job for Sarah, just dealing with transmission failures!
  • I posted about the problems my daughter had with her GMC Acadia, Thanks to Sarah and other people from GM Most problems been taken care of.
    Allthough it is having the transmission replaced as I write this. I was the sales manager of a GM dealership for 29 years and never ever saw this many problems with one vehicle. We sold Pontiac,Olds,Buick,GMC. I wonder why some many are sent to the Chev dealer when there is a GMC dealer in the same town. We would have been wild if our customer would have sent to Chev dealer instead of us. The dealership is now been in business 94 years. Maybe there are some GMC dealers that should contact them and find out what they are doing wrong.
  • dagger6dagger6 Posts: 14
    Are you sure the transmission is being "replaced?" Not just repaired? GMC refused to replace my transmission as I requested. They fixed it. Then it self-destructed again after they "fixed" it. My suggestion is to make sure they're giving you a new, fresh-from-the-factory transmission with all the redesigned and revamped components. Don't settle for a simple fix. I promise you it will explode again.
  • jenbeansjenbeans Posts: 5
    edited March 2013
    mbrown4111, I have been thanking my lucky stars that it happened only days before the warranty expired. When I realized we were still covered for the issue, I felt like we'd hit the lottery. LOL Now I am just wondering and worrying if and when it will happen again.
  • jenbeansjenbeans Posts: 5
    This is exactly what I am worried about. They didn't replace my transmission, just fixed it so I'm wondering when it might happen again. My husband and I are trying to figure out whether we should cut our losses and consider ourselves lucky to have had the issues while it was still covered and just get another car.
  • dagger6dagger6 Posts: 14
    I can't tell you what to do but what I did was sell it. I traded it in on an Acura MDX. I took a bath on the Acadia because the depreciation is massive. I owned the Acadia for two years and it cost me $600 per month in depreciation. That's $14K plus in two years. You can guess the reason why. Nobody wants these vehicles.
  • pathmom1pathmom1 Posts: 5
    Followed your advice & filed a complaint a few minutes ago: NO recall for defective transmissions? Bought 2007 Acadiar used, 2600 miles /felt transmission problems early on. Very noticeable jerk at 40mph. In and out of dealership since. Last few months car has been in to dealer frequently re car bucking at stop lights really rough thought engine going to die. Every time nothing showed in codes, Emergency trip to doctor/heavy traffic main artery/can't get over 20mph/engine screaming/ make it to Dr. (OMG) TOWED TO DEALERSHIP. Transmission gone. I could have had a serious accident. Finally heard something about a defective wave plate. For 5 yrs I've said something wrong. NO ONE said these were constant problems with Acadias. They issued recalls for a leak in the sun roof. NO recall for defective transmissions? KNOWN DEFECTIVE WAVE PLATES? I have extended warranty, but many don't. Warranty or not, this safety hazard should be fixed by GMC at their expence. A recall is mandated. Just ask the owners. . .
    BTW/ does anyone get there is NO SARAH IN CUST SERVICE??? These are stock responses.
    I filed a complaint at the link. It's astounding to me that these many complaints have not gotten any news coverage. It seems like we can band together and make a difference. I bought a new/used 2007 Acadia with only 2000 miles and I had many complaints but no idea I was not alone. The dealership has not shared this info with me for sure.
  • toolietoolie Posts: 4
    I filed a complaint awhile back too but it didn't get me anywhere. Obviously GM doesn't care that everyone who owns a 2007-2008 Acadia is having the same problems. I'm with you, it looks like with all of these complaints someone would do something about it. They should have had a recall on this before now. I've seen several comments where the dealerships have" fixed" the transmission only to break again.
    ACTUALLY I FILED A COMPLAINT WITHE GOV'T, NOT GMC. USED THE LINK FROM ONE OF THE POSTERS.
  • ho0kemho0kem Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    2008 GMC Acadia, a number of problems with this car. First the steering was loose, then it wouldn't start, rattling noise on acceleration, struts went out and now the transmission is out. What’s ironic is the warranty on the drive train expired 2/2013 and the transmission went out 3/07/2013. Neighbor says it all, “Saw your car getting’ picked up again. What happened this time?”