Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Acadia Transmission Problems

1212223242527»

Comments

• et_austinet_austin Posts: 11

I sold my GMC Acadia 2008 a couple of days ago, and I can tell you it was one of the happiest days of my life. I finally got rid of that piece of junk! I bought a Hyundai Santa Fe instead, beautiful and with a 10-year warranty on the power train. I've been telling everyone I know to stay away from GMC cars: coworkers, family, friends, other moms in my daughter's Girl Scouts troop, people at church, etc. I'll keep telling my story about all the problems I had with my GMC Acadia to anyone who listens for a very, very long time.

• chaninaychaninay Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Acadia with 73000 miles on it and my transmission went out. I have been very pleased with the car to this point. I bought it in 2012 with 149008 miles on it. It is now costing me $27050 for my transmission to be rebuilt because it's 6 years old which is past the warranty. After reading some of the comments on here I don't think I will be buying GMC again in this lifetime.
  • I have a 2008 Acadia currently at the dealer with a transmission issue. The dealer told me it more than likely needs a trans replacement and then after contacting customer service, they tell me that is very likely that it can just be repaired and rare that they need to be replaced. This was their way of 'discounting' or helping to cover the expense of the repair... by changing the diagnosis- yet, the car has not even had 'tear down' to discover what the real problem is. I see that GM responds actively here so I have emailed socialmedia@gm.com already and posting here to hopefully get quick action since the deceitfulness of the dealer and my distrust and dissatisfaction has me in a state of not knowing what to do. As a customer who bought the vehicle brand new, addressing the poor transmission from the first week of ownership that was never addressed by the dealer while under warranty, I do believe that they should compensate by covering a good percentage of the CORRECT repair!

• I have had nothing but problems with my 07 Acadia. I bought it in Aug 2012 from a Chevy dealer. I thought that by getting it at a Chevy dealer I would get a good quality car. I have always been a big Chevy owner and never wanted anything else. I have owned the x brand new Chevy vehicles and always a good experience. I have even owned a few very very used GM vehicles, but this by far is my worst experience. I bought my car at the beginning of August on a Saturday evening, but it was a recent trade in so it still needed it's dealer inspection so my wife took it back to the dealer the following Monday and they gave her a nice loaner as it would take a few days before we could pick it up. Three weeks later we were able to pick it up because it had a bad wheel sensor that was apparently hard to get. I picked it up on the Friday before Memorial Day. On Memorial Day I was stuck on the side of the interstate waiting on the tow truck because the transmission stopped and the car wouldn't go in any gear. The dealer gave me another nice loaner to use while it was repaired. Another 3 weeks and it was repaired. Over the next 3 months it was towed back to the dealer 3 or 4 times because it was sticking in gear. Every time it went to the dealer they said there was no codes showing and the check engine light wasn't on. Only one time did they find a problem with a bad speed sensor and because it wasn't the one that they already had replaced I had to pay for this one for 365.00. I finally took it to a transmission shop and they checked it out and had to replace the solenoid at a cost of 1100.00. The mechanic was surprised when I told him that the transmission had just been rebuilt and the solenoid was not replaced at that time and the same with the torque converter. I called the dealer and talked to several people including the service manager, the general manager and one of the supposed owners of the dealership. They finally told me that if I was that unhappy with the car I could bring it back and they would take it back in trade on a KIA Sedona. Wow what a deal now I could trade it in losing a lot of money because I drove it off the lot and they knew it was a piece of crap, and refinance me into another vehicle that wasn't of equal value to my Acaidia and get me an even higher car payment. Somebody might call me stupid but I wasn't going to let them prove that I'm stupid so I passed on their wonderful deal. Now that I have had this wonderful car for 18 months when driving it and it is shifting out of 3rd gear it feels like you are rolling over the ridges on the side the road. I took it back to the transmission shop and they said it is the torque converter. I called the dealership that I bought it at and they said it is no longer under warranty because it has 105k miles on it now and that the torque converter was not replaced so I would have to pay for the repairs. I know that GM has not always been this way but I wonder why would they change their business model from one where they sell a quality product and they take pride in their product and follow it with superior service to one where once you drive it off the lot its your problem. I bought a Chevy Suburban from a smaller buy here pay here dealer and and when I found several problems with the vehicle they told me to bring it back and they fixed every problem at no cost to me. When I got my next vehicle I bought it from them because they stood behind what they sold. I currently own 4 vehicles and only one is a Chevy (the Acaidia) My two very used Toyota Camry have a combined 500k miles on them and they are much more reliable than my newest vehicle and also the only one that I have à payment on. I would like to know what General Motors would do to keep me as a loyal return customer or is their new business model "One and Done". Because they don't need repeat customers because there is almost 3 billion potential car buyers out there. I will patiently wait for an answer fro GM at least for 32 months unless I decide to trade it in sooner.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,223

@wannagreatcar said:
    I have a 2008 Acadia currently at the dealer with a transmission issue. The dealer told me it more than likely needs a trans replacement and then after contacting customer service, they tell me that is very likely that it can just be repaired and rare that they need to be replaced. This was their way of 'discounting' or helping to cover the expense of the repair... by changing the diagnosis- yet, the car has not even had 'tear down' to discover what the real problem is. I see that GM responds actively here so I have emailed socialmedia@gm.com already and posting here to hopefully get quick action since the deceitfulness of the dealer and my distrust and dissatisfaction has me in a state of not knowing what to do. As a customer who bought the vehicle brand new, addressing the poor transmission from the first week of ownership that was never addressed by the dealer while under warranty, I do believe that they should compensate by covering a good percentage of the CORRECT repair!

Hello wannagreatcar,

I am sorry to hear of your concerns with your transmission. I'm glad to know you've been in touch with us via email. Please let me know if any additional assistance is needed.

Andraya
    GM Customer Care

• We have a 2008 Acadia with 27,000 miles. It's the wife's car so we do not drive it long distances. Last night while on the freeway I hit the gas to pass another car. There was a brief pause then if felt like I was rear ended. It was so sudden that I still feel the effects today. Then this morning it did the same when I accelerated after a stop. Any ideas what it might be? We have already delt with the leaky water pump and headlamp covers that melted.

A better day. Tech new online, Cộng đồng internet việt nam lớn nhất.

Hi davidpotter,

Have you been in communication with a certified GMC dealership about this matter? Can you please private message us your VIN and contact information so we can look closer into this for you? Sorry for any trouble this has caused, however we're here to assist in whatever way possible.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

@davidpotter said:
    We have a 2008 Acadia with 27,000 miles. It's the wife's car so we do not drive it long distances. Last night while on the freeway I hit the gas to pass another car. There was a brief pause then if felt like I was rear ended. It was so sudden that I still feel the effects today. Then this morning it did the same when I accelerated after a stop. Any ideas what it might be? We have already delt with the leaky water pump and headlamp covers that melted.

• Have a 2008 GMC Acadia. Had first transmission replaced at about 120,000 miles. Now the car has 178,000 and it needs another transmission. Quoted $3,500 for one year warranty and $4,500 for longer term warranty. Unfortunately trying to support GM but after I get it fixed I will be trading it in and buying a new car from another manufacturer.

• geri9geri9 Posts: 2

Hello I have the 2007 Outlook that has experienced the notorious transmission failure. My car was taken in soon after I purchased it with 40,000 miles and told them the car would roll back while on a hill in gear. They said it was inherent with this transmission and sent me on my way. As dangerous as this was to send a customer away with a car that rolls backwards. Today the transmission failed without notice. I backed out off a parking spot in the Lowes parking lot and the car shuttered violently. I made it to the corner about a half made away before the car simply would not move. I had it towed to Lunghamer at 5825 Highland Road in Waterford Michigan.
    I pulled the engine code myself and had P2723, P0700
    I am finding everywhere on the web through hundreds of forums that this transmission is a real issue due to the defective china made Wave Plate.
    I'm asking what can GM am or will GM do to help repair this transmission? I have filed a complaint with NHTSA today. I feel the only way to push GM to begin a transmission recall is if EVERYONE files a complaint. Please to file the complaint.

Sedona here we come

• mnoble3mnoble3 Posts: 1
    Looks great, drives like a dream, enough space for everything including the kitchen sink.... however, once you have put 60,000 miles on it, the transmission may force you to drink! We purchased our '08 Acadia brand new and have loved driving it for nearly 7 years... until last week when the transmission quit with JUST A LITTLE OVER 60,000 miles on it, and of course, our warranty has expired. VERY DISAPPOINTED in GM after reading all of the reviews on this forum. And, I know that the same problems are occurring in the Chevy Traverse. WHERE'S THE RECALL? I understand that transmission repairs require considerable money... but we spent considerable money on a car that was only reliable to 60,000 miles. I called the dealership where the Acadia was purchased. They told me that they would need to diagnose it and send info to GM to see if we could get some "participation". So, I would spend $100 for the dealership to tell me something that I already know and most likely receive next to nothing from GM? A local mechanic diagnosed it and only charged me for the fluid they put in it.

My grandfather worked for GM and my family has always been very loyal. I have owned an Olds, a Pontiac Grand Am and then Grand Prix (which had to have its engine replaced also because of a defect GM knew about and failed to recall) and now own a GMC that I cannot drive unless we spend considerable hard-earned money to fix. Mark my word, I will NEVER buy another GM vehicle. Went to the local Ford dealership today!
  • wizardmarkwizardmark Posts: 1
    2008 Acadia with around 70k miles. Dealer just told us blown transmission ("metall all over the place"). 5k Estimate. Seriously, how does any decent vehicle today blow a transmission that early, and cost that much to replace? How do you retain a client base with this kind of quality. Was my first GMC - made the concious decision to buy American over imports, and now I am regretting it.

Sad to see a lot of other folks with the same issue. Shame, too, the Acadia has been over-all a good vehicle (and anyone who owns one knows the cargo space is awesome).
  • 07acadia07acadia Posts: 1
    2007 Acadia. I had the transmission rebuilt last year and thought that would be the end of my transmission problems with it. Now the check engine light is on and is pointing to transmission problems again. The car stalled on me last week and I turned it off and started back up again just fine. I have contacted GM about taking the car in to be looked at for possible transmission issues again. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

If I have to pay again for the transmission, I'm going to contact my state's attorney general. GM's profits are in the billions. When making that much, they should absolutely admit there is a problem and stand behind their product. This vehicle is not safe.

Next week is our spring break and there's no way I'm taking this vehicle anywhere out of my city limits.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Posts: 858
    I have a Saturn Outlook, 2008. I just got a letter from Saturn yesterday stating coverage for the Wave Plate transmission issue for 10 years, 120,000 miles. I forgot to bring the letter so I don't have any more details. So, there might be hope for those whose tranny has blown. there was a form to file from repayment if you had already had the problem and paid for a repair.

Bill
    wlbrown9 said:

I have a Saturn Outlook, 2008. I just got a letter from Saturn yesterday stating coverage for the Wave Plate transmission issue for 10 years, 120,000 miles. I forgot to bring the letter so I don't have any more details. So, there might be hope for those whose tranny has blown. there was a form to file from repayment if you had already had the problem and paid for a repair.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Glad to see you got the letter! Feel free to send us an e-mail at socialmedia@gm.com if you have questions or need any additional assistance.

Patsy G
    GM Customer Care
  • bmlockbmlock Posts: 5
    edited April 17
    My turn to get bit by the transmission bug. Code P752 shift solenoid, shift issue from second to third, goes into limp mode and have to put around to get home from base at 25mph, reverse does not sound good either. 2007 Model 107K. Always been Pontiac until they shutdown. Traded into the Acadia right after getting back from Afghanistan. Really love it, like the GMC style, interior lighting colors and whatnot. Figured I'd be sticking with GMC from here on out, but reading the transmission issues brings that into question. Sounds like a recall of sorts might be available right now, I hope so. Can't afford a new one and 4-5K for a new tranny leaves me wondering how I'll pay for that. To make matters worse, our Chevy, Buick, GMC dealer here is overpriced and I bet the quote comes in over 5K. I've bought several parts over the years, and none but our local here charged full MSRP. Haven't had any other major issues, every car has bugs, but this one is exceptional and looks like it should be recalled. I guess I will do my due diligence and report to NHATSA as I think many are not reporting and just getting rid of the vehicle.
    Update: I called GMC customer care and they were very helpful and told me about the extended warranty on the wave plate to 120K. The got me an appointment at my local dealer and my Acadia is still there. The initially said it was the TCM (valve body) and that was $1800ish bucks, but what choice did I have. The did that and during the test drive heard some clicking and shot down the 3-5-R wave plate. The Service Manager was gone Friday and the tech said the TCM looked like it got hot on the outside and the inside melted a bit due to heat from the slipping transmission. He said they were unrelated, but the transmission slip is surely caused by the wave plate or else something else is amiss in the tranny. I think they are going to still try to soak me for the $1800 TCM. We'll find out this afternoon-hopefully.
  • munchesmunches Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my acadia 2007 and i just bought it. It goes backwards while on a hill. 
    It really scares me because the first time it happened. I took it back to the dealer and they said that that is normal because "the car is heavy"
    which i dont buy. I don't kkow what to do. Please if someone here had the same problem tell me what you did. Thank you. 
    Update: Week 3 in the shop. The waveplate had to be ordered from Detroit I'm told, obviously a backlog due to high demand. The waveplate was replaced this week and on the test drive the transmission wouldn't shift into 5th gear. They pulled the TCM and tore it apart and cleaned it up due to debris in it. The put it back in and it's still messed up. After talking with some other techs somewhere, apparently my tech did something wrong on the installation and the transmission and engine must come out again and be torn apart to see what he did wrong. It' looking like a month in the shop, this is unacceptable-and they still want to charge me for the TCM which is obviously failed due to the waveplate going out. Might not only have to report to NHATSA, but go to court because this just isn't right.

To munches: does it go backwards in park or what? If you are in drive and you're on a hill like at a stop sign, it will roll back due to the weight. Need more info to give you my formerly professional opinion.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 2,181
    bmlock said:

The waveplate was replaced this week and on the test drive the transmission wouldn't shift into 5th gear. They pulled the TCM and tore it apart and cleaned it up due to debris in it. The put it back in and it's still messed up. After talking with some other techs somewhere, apparently my tech did something wrong on the installation and the transmission and engine must come out again and be torn apart to see what he did wrong.

Need more info to give you my formerly professional opinion.

Tough place to be for that tech right now. Beyond the labor for the initial repair of the TCM he/she probably isn't getting paid for any of the additional work. The P0752, Shift solenoid #1 performance, stuck on, would not be related to the other known issue with these transmissions, the 35R wave plate failure and the associated wear of the transmission case that it can cause. The tests that would generate codes that could be set by the failure of that plate would be blocked by the solenoid sticking so there would be no evidence of other issues until after the TCM/valve body replacement. It's these kinds of problems that have many shops not even consider attempting to do internal repairs and only sell remanufactured units.

The toughest part of transmission repair like this is the tech didn't have to do something wrong to have this kind of a problem occur. Some things just happen and what is important is what needs to be done to make it right, not who or what is to blame. The fact that the tech isn't getting paid to now work even harder only serves to eventually chase him/her from the trade and into any other job (career). Some try to argue that events like this teach the techs to be more careful and precise ignoring the bigger lesson that is actually being taught. Once the real lessons are learned by these events, the tech leaves the trade taking that education with him/her resulting in the whole scenario having to be repeated at further expense for all of the parties then involved.

The one last part of this that doesn't add up is losing only fifth gear. Losing 3, 5 and R makes sense, and losing 4th, 5th and 6th makes sense. Only losing 5th does not, is there information that was omitted here? Is the shift being commanded? Is a code setting and the shift being blocked? Will the transmission shift if commanded by the scan tool? What does the data from the TFP switches show?

All I was told was that he went for the test drive after replacing the wave plate and it would not shift into 5th. He took out the TCM and was cleaning solenoids, later they something about him putting something in there wrong or that should not be in there with the planetary gears, this was after they called some other techs somewhere. There's probably more to the story, but that is what I was told. I think the $1,899 quote for TCM replacement is crazy. I looked up flat rate on that and its 3.8 hrs. Even with the part at MSRP, it shouldn't cost more than $1,000 for that part of the repair even at $100 per hour labor.
    bmlock said:

There's probably more to the story, but that is what I was told. I think the $1,899 quote for TCM replacement is crazy. I looked up flat rate on that and its 3.8 hrs. Even with the part at MSRP, it shouldn't cost more than $1,000 for that part of the repair even at $100 per hour labor.

Just think how much money you could make if you opened a shop and tried to do this for less than the $1000, especially if you had an event like this tech is fighting.

I could make quite a bit, scan a code, change a TCM that costs me 200ish bucks but charge $400ish. This job doesn't take that long i.e. flat rate can be beat. In this scenario, the wave plate is bad. I said this was bad to begin with when I brought it in. The fact that this is doomed to fail would lead me to change it straight way. So up front I would change the wave plate and deal with the TCM if necessary as there could just be debris in it. I could do both for the price I am paying for a TCM and not have had the vehicle down as long. Considering the near recall nature of this, GM should have done that to begin with. FYI, I would have changed the TCM myself, but I don't have the ability to program it, along with the wave plate which I was sure was bad and under warranty still, I took it to the dealer.
    bmlock said:

The fact that this is doomed to fail would lead me to change it straight way. So up front I would change the wave plate and deal with the TCM if necessary as there could just be debris in it.

If you were running a shop and did that there would be no shortage of people who would condemn that as overselling, especially when it came in with the P0752. That always makes the job so much more fun when someone keeps moving the finish line.

• Help my 2008 GMC Acadia has so many problems and I find more and more everytime I get one fixed there is two more to replace the one!  Multiple times a day I will be driving my RPM's shoot up to 6 as my speed starts slowing I press the gas it shoots up my RPM's but does nothing to my speed. It did the same thing the first week I bought is in 2012 I towed it to GMC they fixed it. Well I thought they did but now no warranty and it's doing it again. I took it in to trade for a 2014 only to find out with so many issues they will only give me $2,000 less than what I still owe on it. Here are my issues:
    1)  Transmission only shift gears when it wants to 
    2)  Oil leak under the motor 
    3)  leaks through the lights on the roof when it rains 
    4)  Some sort of gas sensor needs replaced 
    5)  Even after fixing the headlights only work one at a time sometimes it's my right sometimes it's my left 
    6)  I was told that at anytime my steering something will drop in my lap while driving meaning I will have no control of where the car goes. I won't be able to turn the wheel. 
    7) When you go to a car wash water shoots through the  passenger side door.
    8)  The windows have a mind of their own sometimes they'll go up sometimes they won't 

I work hard to have nice things for my family I'm not hard on my car. I was taught from a young age to take care of what you have. There is no reason I should have this many issues. I have been looking for a 2014 GMC Acadia am I going to have the same problems with it? I want a safe vehicle for my children!
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,688

2008 Acadia with around 70k miles. Dealer just told us blown transmission ("metall all over the place"). 5k Estimate. Seriously, how does any decent vehicle today blow a transmission that early, and cost that much to replace? How do you retain a client base with this kind of quality. Was my first GMC - made the concious decision to buy American over imports, and now I am regretting it.

Sad to see a lot of other folks with the same issue. Shame, too, the Acadia has been over-all a good vehicle (and anyone who owns one knows the cargo space is awesome).

They don't retain a client base. That is why they went out of business SANS the massive billion dollar bailout perpetrated by the 2 worst Presidents in the history of the US. You don't need bailouts if you are retaining your client base! LOL!
  • revxmlrevxml Posts: 1
    I know there are several threads concerning this issue, but my attempt to reply prompted me to start a new one.
    On Sunday 05/31/2015, my wife and I took my 16yr old to a baseball game at Marietta High School, from our home in Suwanee GA. The usual/quickest route is 85S to 285W to 75N. We dropped him off at the high school to warm up for the game, and drove to Krystal to get lunch, noticing storm clouds rolling in. On the drive back to the high school he texted us saying the game had been cancelled due to inclement weather. The rain began before we got back to pick him up.
    We started heading back as the rain grew heavier, and heavier. Because my wife can't stand being on the interstate during storms, I set my GPS to get us home without major highways.
    We basically got in line with the other traffic, all driving between 10 and 20 mph due to the visibility and flash-flood-like conditions. About 10 minutes in, my Acadia started shimmering - the front end. I had no idea what was going on, and attributed the shimmy to a possibly un-balanced front left tire - I had a nail in the tire on the previous weekend, and the local tire store (Kauffman Tires) plugged it for me. I thought they possibly didn't balance it, and presumed that it was now noticeable because of the amount of rain water/rushing water on the roads.
    I pulled off the road twice over the next thirty minutes - once at a Texaco Food Mart, so my son could get something to eat and a drink, and another time at a church. Both time were while the visibility was almost nothing and I didn't want to have the family on the road - with the shimmy - even though we were only traveling about 15 mph.
    The rain began to lighted up, or we managed to get ahead of the storm, on Cobb parkway. The shimmy was still present, even on the dry road, but appear to lessen when I got the RPMs over 2500. Maybe after five minutes of being out of the storm, and on dry roads, I went to accelerate from being stopped at a red light. Around 30 MPH - CLACK-BAM-CLACKITY-CLACKITY-BAM!!!!
    I still had my hazards on because I had been driving through the storm with them engaged, and saw a driveway to a parking lot, behind some townhomes about 75 yards up and to the right. I managed to get across three lanes of traffic and into the parking lot.
    I got out and looked under the vehicle and there it was, the Drive Train, lying under the engine.
    Called the insurance and got the car towed to a local Pep Boys.
    I then called Rick Hendricks Chevrolet in Buford, because that is where I purchased the vehicle, exactly one year ago. The rep did the research and said - yes, its a power train issue and you are still under warranty. But then he said that I didn't need to get it back to him - that any Certified GM dealership could do the work. Told me to have it taken to Carl Black in Roswell. So I did.
    I get a call from Carl Black when the tow truck arrived and explained the situation. Then I never get a call back, so I call the next afternoon.
    The service manager proceeds to tell me that he had "never seen anything like it", "all the retaining bolts are missing", "not sheared - but totally missing".
    Then he proceeds to tell me that I had to have an under-carriage collision and that the drive train would not be covered under the power train warranty!
    He tried to tell me that "the missing bolts" was "indicative of an undercarriage collision" and that "shear bolts" would indicate the "drive train was defective" (or something similar). Which is completely backwards as far as I'm concerned - if there was an undercarriage collision THEN the bolts would be sheared - if there was 30 -45 minutes of vibration (shimmying) THEN the bolts would back out and not be found.
    I told him that I wanted the vehicle relocated to Rick Hendricks - where I purchased it, and that I would deal with them directly.
    The car arrived on Thursday, but I didn't get a call until Friday morning. I told the Service Manager what had transpired and he said he'd call back after they'd inspected the car. I called them back later in the day to be told that the Acadia had been inspected by "our technician AND a GM rep", and "it would not be covered under the power train warranty". So I asked "what happened to, and where were the 6 retaining bolts". Tom's response was "that, I can't explain".
    I called my insurance and told them that I didn't want to file a claim, because this is a warranty item, and I was sure they wouldn't want to cut a check for it either. They happened to have an adjuster at the Rick Hendricks location where I bought the vehicle, and he was going to investigate. This is when I found out that Carl Black had sent my vehicle to the wrong location - it was now in Duluth - how and why they got that address I still don't know.
    The adjuster called this morning telling me that they were saying it wasn't going to be covered by the warranty - I asked why and he said, that they were saying - either there was under carriage collision, or "someone" removed the retaining bolts. I take that as an accusation. One that I would sabotage my vehicle, then drive 70+ MPH on three highways, with my wife and oldest son in the car, then drive back through a flash flood, knowing that there were no bolts holding the drive train on????? Absolutely warped and ludicrous.
    So far I've had two different dealership Service Managers tell me that the "vanishing retaining bolts" do not constitute something that is covered by the Power Train warranty. One of those stated that "those bolts are designed specifically to NOT back out" - yet they did - but that doesn't signify a defective part.
    I have a meeting with the General Manager at 8:30 AM tomorrow morning - I'll keep you all posted.
    Keith Brooks. 470.865.8039
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,688
    revxml said:

I know there are several threads concerning this issue, but my attempt to reply prompted me to start a new one.
    On Sunday 05/31/2015, my wife and I took my 16yr old to a baseball game at Marietta High School, from our home in Suwanee GA. The usual/quickest route is 85S to 285W to 75N. We dropped him off at the high school to warm up for the game, and drove to Krystal to get lunch, noticing storm clouds rolling in. On the drive back to the high school he texted us saying the game had been cancelled due to inclement weather. The rain began before we got back to pick him up.
    We started heading back as the rain grew heavier, and heavier. Because my wife can't stand being on the interstate during storms, I set my GPS to get us home without major highways.
    We basically got in line with the other traffic, all driving between 10 and 20 mph due to the visibility and flash-flood-like conditions. About 10 minutes in, my Acadia started shimmering - the front end. I had no idea what was going on, and attributed the shimmy to a possibly un-balanced front left tire - I had a nail in the tire on the previous weekend, and the local tire store (Kauffman Tires) plugged it for me. I thought they possibly didn't balance it, and presumed that it was now noticeable because of the amount of rain water/rushing water on the roads.
    I pulled off the road twice over the next thirty minutes - once at a Texaco Food Mart, so my son could get something to eat and a drink, and another time at a church. Both time were while the visibility was almost nothing and I didn't want to have the family on the road - with the shimmy - even though we were only traveling about 15 mph.
    The rain began to lighted up, or we managed to get ahead of the storm, on Cobb parkway. The shimmy was still present, even on the dry road, but appear to lessen when I got the RPMs over 2500. Maybe after five minutes of being out of the storm, and on dry roads, I went to accelerate from being stopped at a red light. Around 30 MPH - CLACK-BAM-CLACKITY-CLACKITY-BAM!!!!
    I still had my hazards on because I had been driving through the storm with them engaged, and saw a driveway to a parking lot, behind some townhomes about 75 yards up and to the right. I managed to get across three lanes of traffic and into the parking lot.
    I got out and looked under the vehicle and there it was, the Drive Train, lying under the engine.
    Called the insurance and got the car towed to a local Pep Boys.
    I then called Rick Hendricks Chevrolet in Buford, because that is where I purchased the vehicle, exactly one year ago. The rep did the research and said - yes, its a power train issue and you are still under warranty. But then he said that I didn't need to get it back to him - that any Certified GM dealership could do the work. Told me to have it taken to Carl Black in Roswell. So I did.
    I get a call from Carl Black when the tow truck arrived and explained the situation. Then I never get a call back, so I call the next afternoon.
    The service manager proceeds to tell me that he had "never seen anything like it", "all the retaining bolts are missing", "not sheared - but totally missing".
    Then he proceeds to tell me that I had to have an under-carriage collision and that the drive train would not be covered under the power train warranty!
    He tried to tell me that "the missing bolts" was "indicative of an undercarriage collision" and that "shear bolts" would indicate the "drive train was defective" (or something similar). Which is completely backwards as far as I'm concerned - if there was an undercarriage collision THEN the bolts would be sheared - if there was 30 -45 minutes of vibration (shimmying) THEN the bolts would back out and not be found.
    I told him that I wanted the vehicle relocated to Rick Hendricks - where I purchased it, and that I would deal with them directly.
    The car arrived on Thursday, but I didn't get a call until Friday morning. I told the Service Manager what had transpired and he said he'd call back after they'd inspected the car. I called them back later in the day to be told that the Acadia had been inspected by "our technician AND a GM rep", and "it would not be covered under the power train warranty". So I asked "what happened to, and where were the 6 retaining bolts". Tom's response was "that, I can't explain".
    I called my insurance and told them that I didn't want to file a claim, because this is a warranty item, and I was sure they wouldn't want to cut a check for it either. They happened to have an adjuster at the Rick Hendricks location where I bought the vehicle, and he was going to investigate. This is when I found out that Carl Black had sent my vehicle to the wrong location - it was now in Duluth - how and why they got that address I still don't know.
    The adjuster called this morning telling me that they were saying it wasn't going to be covered by the warranty - I asked why and he said, that they were saying - either there was under carriage collision, or "someone" removed the retaining bolts. I take that as an accusation. One that I would sabotage my vehicle, then drive 70+ MPH on three highways, with my wife and oldest son in the car, then drive back through a flash flood, knowing that there were no bolts holding the drive train on????? Absolutely warped and ludicrous.
    So far I've had two different dealership Service Managers tell me that the "vanishing retaining bolts" do not constitute something that is covered by the Power Train warranty. One of those stated that "those bolts are designed specifically to NOT back out" - yet they did - but that doesn't signify a defective part.
    I have a meeting with the General Manager at 8:30 AM tomorrow morning - I'll keep you all posted.
    Keith Brooks. 470.865.8039

Wow, seems like GM has learned from Insurance companies how to act in bad faith and deny deny deny.