Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Acadia Transmission Problems

1212223242527»

Comments

• et_austinet_austin Posts: 11

I sold my GMC Acadia 2008 a couple of days ago, and I can tell you it was one of the happiest days of my life. I finally got rid of that piece of junk! I bought a Hyundai Santa Fe instead, beautiful and with a 10-year warranty on the power train. I've been telling everyone I know to stay away from GMC cars: coworkers, family, friends, other moms in my daughter's Girl Scouts troop, people at church, etc. I'll keep telling my story about all the problems I had with my GMC Acadia to anyone who listens for a very, very long time.

• chaninaychaninay Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Acadia with 73000 miles on it and my transmission went out. I have been very pleased with the car to this point. I bought it in 2012 with 149008 miles on it. It is now costing me $27050 for my transmission to be rebuilt because it's 6 years old which is past the warranty. After reading some of the comments on here I don't think I will be buying GMC again in this lifetime.
  • I have a 2008 Acadia currently at the dealer with a transmission issue. The dealer told me it more than likely needs a trans replacement and then after contacting customer service, they tell me that is very likely that it can just be repaired and rare that they need to be replaced. This was their way of 'discounting' or helping to cover the expense of the repair... by changing the diagnosis- yet, the car has not even had 'tear down' to discover what the real problem is. I see that GM responds actively here so I have emailed socialmedia@gm.com already and posting here to hopefully get quick action since the deceitfulness of the dealer and my distrust and dissatisfaction has me in a state of not knowing what to do. As a customer who bought the vehicle brand new, addressing the poor transmission from the first week of ownership that was never addressed by the dealer while under warranty, I do believe that they should compensate by covering a good percentage of the CORRECT repair!

• I have had nothing but problems with my 07 Acadia. I bought it in Aug 2012 from a Chevy dealer. I thought that by getting it at a Chevy dealer I would get a good quality car. I have always been a big Chevy owner and never wanted anything else. I have owned the x brand new Chevy vehicles and always a good experience. I have even owned a few very very used GM vehicles, but this by far is my worst experience. I bought my car at the beginning of August on a Saturday evening, but it was a recent trade in so it still needed it's dealer inspection so my wife took it back to the dealer the following Monday and they gave her a nice loaner as it would take a few days before we could pick it up. Three weeks later we were able to pick it up because it had a bad wheel sensor that was apparently hard to get. I picked it up on the Friday before Memorial Day. On Memorial Day I was stuck on the side of the interstate waiting on the tow truck because the transmission stopped and the car wouldn't go in any gear. The dealer gave me another nice loaner to use while it was repaired. Another 3 weeks and it was repaired. Over the next 3 months it was towed back to the dealer 3 or 4 times because it was sticking in gear. Every time it went to the dealer they said there was no codes showing and the check engine light wasn't on. Only one time did they find a problem with a bad speed sensor and because it wasn't the one that they already had replaced I had to pay for this one for 365.00. I finally took it to a transmission shop and they checked it out and had to replace the solenoid at a cost of 1100.00. The mechanic was surprised when I told him that the transmission had just been rebuilt and the solenoid was not replaced at that time and the same with the torque converter. I called the dealer and talked to several people including the service manager, the general manager and one of the supposed owners of the dealership. They finally told me that if I was that unhappy with the car I could bring it back and they would take it back in trade on a KIA Sedona. Wow what a deal now I could trade it in losing a lot of money because I drove it off the lot and they knew it was a piece of crap, and refinance me into another vehicle that wasn't of equal value to my Acaidia and get me an even higher car payment. Somebody might call me stupid but I wasn't going to let them prove that I'm stupid so I passed on their wonderful deal. Now that I have had this wonderful car for 18 months when driving it and it is shifting out of 3rd gear it feels like you are rolling over the ridges on the side the road. I took it back to the transmission shop and they said it is the torque converter. I called the dealership that I bought it at and they said it is no longer under warranty because it has 105k miles on it now and that the torque converter was not replaced so I would have to pay for the repairs. I know that GM has not always been this way but I wonder why would they change their business model from one where they sell a quality product and they take pride in their product and follow it with superior service to one where once you drive it off the lot its your problem. I bought a Chevy Suburban from a smaller buy here pay here dealer and and when I found several problems with the vehicle they told me to bring it back and they fixed every problem at no cost to me. When I got my next vehicle I bought it from them because they stood behind what they sold. I currently own 4 vehicles and only one is a Chevy (the Acaidia) My two very used Toyota Camry have a combined 500k miles on them and they are much more reliable than my newest vehicle and also the only one that I have à payment on. I would like to know what General Motors would do to keep me as a loyal return customer or is their new business model "One and Done". Because they don't need repeat customers because there is almost 3 billion potential car buyers out there. I will patiently wait for an answer fro GM at least for 32 months unless I decide to trade it in sooner.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,113

@wannagreatcar said: I have a 2008 Acadia currently at the dealer with a transmission issue. The dealer told me it more than likely needs a trans replacement and then after contacting customer service, they tell me that is very likely that it can just be repaired and rare that they need to be replaced. This was their way of 'discounting' or helping to cover the expense of the repair... by changing the diagnosis- yet, the car has not even had 'tear down' to discover what the real problem is. I see that GM responds actively here so I have emailed socialmedia@gm.com already and posting here to hopefully get quick action since the deceitfulness of the dealer and my distrust and dissatisfaction has me in a state of not knowing what to do. As a customer who bought the vehicle brand new, addressing the poor transmission from the first week of ownership that was never addressed by the dealer while under warranty, I do believe that they should compensate by covering a good percentage of the CORRECT repair!

Hello wannagreatcar,

I am sorry to hear of your concerns with your transmission. I'm glad to know you've been in touch with us via email. Please let me know if any additional assistance is needed.

Andraya GM Customer Care

• davidpotterdavidpotter Posts: 7

We have a 2008 Acadia with 27,000 miles. It's the wife's car so we do not drive it long distances. Last night while on the freeway I hit the gas to pass another car. There was a brief pause then if felt like I was rear ended. It was so sudden that I still feel the effects today. Then this morning it did the same when I accelerated after a stop. Any ideas what it might be? We have already delt with the leaky water pump and headlamp covers that melted.

A better day. Tech new online, good luck to You.

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,113

Hi davidpotter,

Have you been in communication with a certified GMC dealership about this matter? Can you please private message us your VIN and contact information so we can look closer into this for you? Sorry for any trouble this has caused, however we're here to assist in whatever way possible.

Amber N. GM Customer Care

@davidpotter said: We have a 2008 Acadia with 27,000 miles. It's the wife's car so we do not drive it long distances. Last night while on the freeway I hit the gas to pass another car. There was a brief pause then if felt like I was rear ended. It was so sudden that I still feel the effects today. Then this morning it did the same when I accelerated after a stop. Any ideas what it might be? We have already delt with the leaky water pump and headlamp covers that melted.

• burkeysuscburkeysusc Posts: 1

Have a 2008 GMC Acadia. Had first transmission replaced at about 120,000 miles. Now the car has 178,000 and it needs another transmission. Quoted $3,500 for one year warranty and $4,500 for longer term warranty. Unfortunately trying to support GM but after I get it fixed I will be trading it in and buying a new car from another manufacturer.

• geri9geri9 Posts: 2

Hello I have the 2007 Outlook that has experienced the notorious transmission failure. My car was taken in soon after I purchased it with 40,000 miles and told them the car would roll back while on a hill in gear. They said it was inherent with this transmission and sent me on my way. As dangerous as this was to send a customer away with a car that rolls backwards. Today the transmission failed without notice. I backed out off a parking spot in the Lowes parking lot and the car shuttered violently. I made it to the corner about a half made away before the car simply would not move. I had it towed to Lunghamer at 5825 Highland Road in Waterford Michigan. I pulled the engine code myself and had P2723, P0700 I am finding everywhere on the web through hundreds of forums that this transmission is a real issue due to the defective china made Wave Plate. I'm asking what can GM am or will GM do to help repair this transmission? I have filed a complaint with NHTSA today. I feel the only way to push GM to begin a transmission recall is if EVERYONE files a complaint. Please to file the complaint.

Sedona here we come