Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Acadia Transmission Problems

Comments

• noelle_bnoelle_b Posts: 1
    Last week, my transmission started going. My 2007 Acadia had no pickup when starting. I was an hour from home, just me (a Mom) and my 3 kids. We sat at red lights while everyone went around us. Eventually we would start and things seemed ok once we got going. Then that problem turned into a different one. There was a "catch" between gears 2 and 3. We took it to be checked and guess what? It's the wave plate, which requires a new transmission! So I drove it tonight (hoping it would get me where I needed to go) and it left me along the road. I was driving and suddenly I could push the gas pedal all I wanted and my Acadia was just coasting. I think GMC should stand behind this issue and do a recall, but that doesn't look too likely based on what everyone else is saying. This is what we get for trying to buy US-made.
  • wthdidigetwthdidiget Posts: 5
    I am thankfull I have another car but it is an older car that has some things that need to be fixed.. but this ACADIA issue is really a ticker and I am not happy about it. .i just paid the damn thing off!!!!!! GM and the GMC Dealers need to help us and take care of us.. hell I don't have this kind of $$ sitting around and to keep forking out $$$$ because they keep saying oh it is this and it is that.. . bull crap .. RECALL THE PART DAM IT. :mad:
  • nboere1nboere1 Posts: 2
    You are smart... I made the worst mistake buying a gmc Acadia. Do not do it.. My 2008 with 57570 mileage hare the transmission blow on it and GMC are being assess about taken care of me.. I think all of us GMC Acadia owners need to file a class action lawsuit against the company.... I will never buy another GMA vehicle again!!!!!!!
  • nboere1nboere1 Posts: 2
    Gmc Acadia are a joke do not buy one.
    My husband came home from Detroit MI last night.. and took my Acadia out for a test drive today and wooops it did it again. :blush: ... shugging and then it didn't do it again... not sure what the issue is with the car..... He is going to replace the plugs to see if that does anyting. We could be just throwing $$$ at it.. Who knows if it is the stupid wave plate.. But the mechanic does not seem to know what he is talking about either!!! :confuse:
  • If it is your transmission, get a rebuilt one - someone that knows how to rebuild them. PUtting another crappy new replacement GM transmission into it will probably not last long either. I hate my car. If it wasn't paid for, and I could afford it, I would trade it in a minute for a HONDA or a more reliable foreign car. Sorry but I am burned on US cars.
  • mbr549mbr549 Posts: 3
    I have a 2012 Acadia Denali with 21,00 miles that has a transmission with a mind of its own. When stopping at a light, the transmission doesn't always downshift. The engine will maintain 1000 to 1100 rpm's, then you will feel a jerk, transmission will downshift, and engine rpm's drop back to 600. Other times, when slowing down for a traffic light or stop sign, the transmission will downshift very hard, almost feels like someone hit you. Dealership has driven it, has been able to replicate the issue, but since there are no fault codes showing up, their attitude is that there is nothing wrong. This is the first and likely the last GMC product I will own if this is the best they can do building a product and then tell me nothing is wrong with it and that I just have to get used to it.
    If it is the transmission and i am sure it is.... .. I will have someone else do it.. NOT GM.. That's for dam sure!!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    Hi there,

I am sorry to hear that you have been experiencing this issue with your Acadia. I know it can be frustrating when the dealer isn't able to pinpoint the problem. Have you tried working with a different dealership to get this issue resolved? A second opinion may be worth a shot. Please let me know if you need any further assistance with this matter.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • hoppybillhoppybill Posts: 5
    Amazing how I just went thru a similar experience. Vehicle lost power on highway, check engine light came on. The vehicle would not shift out of first gear. Took it to local GM dealer where we bought it in May 2007. The diagnosed it as a faulty transmission solenoid where the "ports" were clogged. I then commenced to ask questions how they would have become clogged as GM was the last one to have the transmission open, in July 2011 when they replaced a "faulty" backing plate. I asked could the port have been clogged as a result of not flushing the transmission when they last worked on it? "Possible, but doubtful...". GM's answer, "You are beyond the warranty, so it is your responsibility". Spoke to Alex, GM Customer Service. Explained to him the story, two days later another woman called stating GM cannot help as it is beyond the warranty. When asked about the possibility of contaminated il cogging the port, she stated, " I am not a technical person, I have to rely on the Service Writer". The same service Writer, Joe, who charged me for a front end alignment he could not find where I authorized it. My cost, "$1668.00" By the way lets not forget the timing chains replaced at less than 40K miles, or the fire in the front wiring harness, ( my portion of the repair was $300.00), or my cost for replacing the steering assembly, $900.00, because it is not part of the drive train??? Then the transmission in July 2011 which they stated, we will repair, as a "Good Faith", even through it was after I sent a tow truck to get it to have it repaired elsewhere.

If you find a lawyer, please keep me informed as I too am looking.....
  • I have a 2007 Acadia which has had one problem after another, many of them MAJOR problems - transmission, timing chain, transmission control module. GMC Corporate informed me that they will not provide any assistance for my most recent $1300 issue - this after a long delay in returning my call, putting me on hold for an unacceptable amount of time, and no proof of the research that brought them to that decision. I am extremely disappointed in their lack of customer service and vow never to buy another GMC vehicle again. I am telling all of my friends and family the same.
  • emclaugh3emclaugh3 Posts: 1
    I experienced the same problem last week. Acadia went into neutral while on highway, driving 60 mph, then went into first and wouldn't shift out of first. We had transmission "re-built" at 62,000 miles, now at 83,000 the transmission needs to be replaced AGAIN. Our warranty just ended 4 months ago, so we were told new transmission would be $4000.

If anyone finds a lawyer, please let me know!
  • sbellesbelle Posts: 2
    If your Acadia has less than 120K miles GMC is now (as of Nov.-Dec. 2012) footing the bill for the Stabilitrak issue under what they called an "extended warranty" (an 'act of good will' to keep them from getting their pants sued off for manufacturing these $35-40K lemons with cheap parts). And it is a major safety concern, so they should be held accountable (I lost all engine power while driving uphill in a 70 MPH zone on a busy interstate w/ my 2 kids in the backseat). The problem is actually a bad timing chain and not the transmission, though if not fixed can ultimately burn up the trans. I have an awesome mechanic who diagnosed the bad timing chain and did some research to find that GMC was covering it (just not publicizing it apparently as I had already spent hours searching and found nothing to indicate this). My husband called GMC Customer Service (not the dealer) and told them we'd taken it to the mechanic and when he told them what the engine codes were and the problems manifested from it, they totally changed their tone, from skeptical to extremely cooperative. They arranged for the GMC dealer of our choosing to replace the timing chains absolutely free of charge for us. GMC is also reimbursing those who had to pay out of pocket for the same, and I may be wrong but I think any other repairs related to the bad timing chain (i.e., transmission) and I believe it applies at least to 2007-08, maybe other year models, with <120K miles at the time repairs were done.
  • sbellesbelle Posts: 2
    BTW, if you look up recalls even by VIN#, it yields nothing about GMC's "warranty extension" or a recall on the timing chain. And strangely, we got a letter from GMC with the specifications I mentioned above only a few days after calling GMC Customer Service!
  • mbr549mbr549 Posts: 3
    Mine is a 2012 with 21K miles on it. Since there have been no fault codes recorded, GM is unwilling or unable to do anything about the problem. Add to the fact that the gas mileage is pathetic, less than 20mpg on the highway and about 16mpg with in town driving, I am less than enamoured with GM and their quality. To add insult to injury, someone claiming to be a representative of GM posted on my original post that I should take it to a different GM dealer to see if they could figure something out. My thought is that shouldn't all dealerships be staffed with competent and knowledgeable personnel who can diagnose and repair issues such as this. Right now, I'm leaning towards trading it for something else instead of putting up with GM and their lack of customer service.
  • mtlwizmtlwiz Posts: 6
    not defending gm, but to get 20mpg,with this small of a motor moving a 5000 pound vehicle is damn good! and it will cruise at 95 mph all day long.
  • dagger6dagger6 Posts: 14
    Here's the ironic thing. My 2008 Acadia was great - when it was working at all. Good mileage, great ride quality. But after two transmissions in the 79K miles I had it, leaving me stranded and in danger of getting steamrolled by oncoming traffic when the transmission puked for the second time, I couldn't take the chance. Got rid of it. GM Customer Service is the absolute worst. They lie. And when you show them proof that they lie, they lie about the lie. Just awful people. Nice to know we bailed them out and this is what they do with our money. Never again will I buy a GM product. This from a guy who bought his first of many Chevies in 1971.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    Hello mbr549,

I completely understand the frustration you are experiencing with your vehicle situation. We depend on our dealerships to diagnose any vehicle concerns you may be having, and are confident in our technicians. Unfortunately, when the issue is unable to be recreated, we cannot determine the steps to advise towards correcting the problem. The option of visiting another dealership is solely for a second opinion, in hopes of them being able to find the cause of your concerns. Please let us know if you request any further assistance with this issue.

Sincerely,

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • dagger6dagger6 Posts: 14
    Hey Amber N. Here's how you can help. OWN your problems. You guys designed this car. You built it. We PAID for it. And you made a profit. On top of which, you got OUR tax money to keep you afloat. FIX the problems you created. I kept my last vehicle going reliably for 344,000 miles before I sold it. It's still on the road with 375,000 miles on it. I maintain my cars to a fault. My Acadia was a disaster. No matter how well I took care of it, it FAILED. And FAILED again. And AGAIN. With 79,000 miles on it, I had to sell it just out of self preservation. It almost got me killed TWICE when the transmission died on the highway at highway speed. You FAILED FAILED FAILED to fix it.
  • 08acadia108acadia1 Posts: 1
    I just left my dealer that I was able to limp to in 1st gear. I'm thankful that the tranny went just before I turned onto the highway on ramp. I would live to hear from GM what solutions they suggest to this growing problem. My '08 is a few months past warranty and I anticipate that I will get the bad news tomorrow that I need a transmission I can't afford. With my wife out on maternity leave I think the dealer may have an acadia on their hands for awhile.