Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Acadia Transmission Problems

Comments

• Shawna did not help me either. I am very disappointed in the American company. I expect a transmission and an engine to last at least 10 years. Unless you dog it out, but that is not the case with me. I like to keep my vehicles in great condition.
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    Besides the transmission the engines on these vehicles prematurely self-destruct due to the timing chains stretching. Without a powertrain warranty an older Acadia is like a ticking time bomb waiting to explode in my opinion. You'll probably be better off in the long run to trade it in once the transmission is fixed. Good luck.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,325
    If an American owned company can not guarantee a transmission or motor passed 5 years with under 100,000 miles why did the government even bail them out?

Good question. There was and is no good reason for the bailouts, no legitimate worthy argument that I've heard thus far, and I've heard many. Bush bailed them out because of his ego, and not wanting GM to go under during his watch (mainly). Obama bailed them out so he could get victories for re-election in two battleground States, Michigan and Ohio, States he won, without which, he'd of lost re-election; so the plan worked for him personally, but was a royal screwing to tax payers.

Buying used is a big risk, and you bought American used.....

I hate to say it, but... you got what you were asking for.
  • I didn't get what I was asking for. I previously bought a Chevrolet Trailblazer from Carmax as well and I didn't get a warranty on it. I did not have one problem with the transmission or engine. It had 130,000 miles when I sold it. With all these computer malfunctions I don't plan of buying new ever!
  • arleenrarleenr Posts: 2
    I bought my certified pre-owned 2008 Acadia from a certified GM dealer and less than 2 months into having the truck it would not shift into gear. After 2 and half weeks of the dealer having my vechile I find out the transmission had to be rebuilt. The car had almost 39,000 miles on it when I bought it. The car now has almost 42,000. For a car that is five years old and only has 42,000 miles on it to have to get the transmission rebuilt is insane. I bought a brand new toyota rav 4 in 2003 had it 10 years put over 200,000 miles on it and never once had any transmission or engine issues. What value does the title GM certified pre-owned have??!!! What value does the title GM certified dealer have?!!!
  • Apparently none! They are refusing to back their crappy design and make it right with the owners. I think that is bad business practice because if you want repeat business you do what it takes to satisfy the customer. From looking on all these blogs on the internet they might need another bailout if these people are not coming back to them to buy another vehicle. Like I said before if an American company can not guarantee there workmanship then we don't need to buy from them. If it were a water pump yeah I see things like that go out that I would gladly be responsible for, but not a transmission that is proven time and time again to go out!
  • I too wish I would have found this forum BEFORE I bought my 2008 Acadia...this car has been the biggest financial mistake of my life. My warranty expired six months ago and since then I have sunk about $6000 into it fixing the multitude of things that have gone wrong with it, including but not limited to the air bags, fuel line, brake fluid leaking, roof leaking, and the wave plate on the transmission. Prior to this piece of junk, I owned 3 Toyotas and a Lexus and I have had more problems with this Acadia than I have with all four of those cars combined. I am petrified to drive it especially with my three kids in it because I am scared of what is going to fail on it next while I'm driving it. I am trading it in the second it is paid off and will never, never buy another GMC car again.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    wormstrup14,

I apologize that you have had issues with your GMC Acadia. If there is anything we can do to assist you please let us know.

Sincerely

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    Hello arleenr,

So sorry to hear about your transmission issues. Please keep us posted on the status of your repair.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • arleenrarleenr Posts: 2
    Well apparently the transmission was rebuilt and everything should be fine. However, on my way to work this morning I was in traffic put the car in park because the traffic was extreme. I put the car in drive when the traffic started moving again and the car would not go into gear! I shut the car off and turned it on again and it started fine. Thank god because I was in the middle lane!! Then it happened during lunch reversing out of a parking spot, except I was on a small incline and the car started to roll backwards and would not brake. I put the emergency brake on, put the car in park, shut the car off, pumped the brake, and turned the car back on and shifted it into reverse and it worked. Called the dealer, apparently they were real busy and I had to leave a message. Waiting for a call back, safety is a serious concern. Especially, because I have a child. I will call again first thing in the morning... the saga continues. This is ridiculous.
  • 2008 Acadia - 2nd owner - bought in 2009 w/22000 miles. Dealer maintained vehicle - just recently out of shop.

Traveling with wife and kids from Austin Texas to Colorado. Traveled for about 8-9 hours on Saturday and noticed the transmission was jerking a little and shifting on its own here and there - especially at the end of the day. Then on Sunday morning trying to leave the hotel in Dumas - the transmission completely gave out. Had it towed to Amarillo - over $200 - then the Dealer told me $3600 to 'rebuild' the transmission and $3800 to put in a new one!! wow $3800 and really no option on the rebuild given the cost and $200 difference.

The vehicle was almost paid off - and I was expecting to pass this to my daughter and then buy my wife - a new Acadia, but now I'm definitely not sure that is a good idea.

I have filed a note with GM - will wait to see how they handle the situation.
  • I know. Buy Toyota because then you will have to get the transmission rebuilt at 90,000 miles because of a known issue and the airbag module can stop working and not give you any warning that it stopped working. And it is so important to Toyota to fix, it has been about 3 months since I received the recall notice and replacement parts are still not available.
  • et_austinet_austin Posts: 11
    This is the list of issues I've had so far with my GMC Acadia 2008:

- Water pump failed in 2011
    - Transmission failed (broken wave plate) in 2012
    - Roof leak (water started pouring into the car when it rains, not a few drops, I'm talking streams of water) in 2013 (was quoted $380, ended up paying $495)
    - Master cylinder leaking break fluid (a $2000 repair)
    - Engine oil leak / oil leak on front cover (timing gear cover) (a $700 repair)
    - Broken hinged sun visor flap on the driver's side due to bad quality, it broke when I lifted the mirror's plastic cover to use the mirror ($200 to replace it)

When I posted about my problems here on this forum last week I was immediately contacted by a Customer Support lady who asked me to send her all my info and my car's info to socialmedia@gm.com, I did: IT WAS A COMPLETE WASTE OF MY TIME. Do you think they offered any kind of discount? NO, all this woman offered was to schedule an appointment at the GMC dealership for me (maybe they think we customers don't know how to schedule an appointment ourselves). To add insult to injury, when I took my car on Monday to the dealership, at the correct place and time, I was told I did not have an appointment!!

I was quoted $380 on Monday to repair the roof leaks, but an hour ago I had to pay $495 for the repair "because they had to replace a seal" which was not covered in the original estimate.

Do you want to hear what the "Service Advisor" at the dealership told me when I asked why my Acadia is such a piece of junk with so many problems? This is what she said, I quote: "It's completely normal for a newly introduced car to have these kind of problems during the first years of production". So if the transmission fails after only 4 years on your $30-$40k car and it also starts flooding when it rains, it is completely normal and you shouldn't be surprised according to her.

I'm never again in my life buying a GMC vehicle. And Customer Support: I know you have no shame so let me ask you a favor: DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE SAYING HOW SORRY YOU ARE ABOUT THE PROBLEMS I'M HAVING WITH MY CAR.
  • jenbeansjenbeans Posts: 5
    Our water pump failed in 2011 as well and the wave plate shattered earlier this year. I'm afraid of what's going to happen to it next. I'd like to dump it and cut my losses before we have to spend more on it but we can't really afford a new car right now! Thanks for the reliability, GMC.

So sorry you've had this experience. I feel your pain!
  • This sounds just the problems I've had. Owned my 2007 Acadia two years now and it has cost me over $7000 in repairs! I have TWO sunroofs on this model , both leaked the first year I owned it. Each repair in the $400-500 range.
    Water pump was over $2000. They say they are going to reimburse me now cause that was a recall BUT they are balking at how much to reimburse me and dragging it out. I will believe the $ when it is in my hands! Also, the transmission (wave plate) went out but it was misdiagnosed TWICE by two different GM dealers out of state and they both put new catalytic converters in (it has TWO of them, $1000 each). that was not the problem, the TRANSMISSION was. I got a rebuilt transmission done out of state too after it broke down in GA. Same thing, would love to trade it in (NEVER another GM car) but it is paid for and I've already put so much money into it!
  • jerryg2kjerryg2k Posts: 2
    edited June 2013
    This sounds just like my experience with my 2008 GMC Acadia! This is the worst car I've ever owned by far, not to mention the most expensive. For the price of this car I expected better quality but the poor engineering and quality shows at every turn from the paint of the buttons rubbing off in the first couple months to the water pump, transmission, headlight harness, throttle body, etc.. (the list goes on and on). I will never, ever make the terrible mistake of owning another GM vehicle. As we can all see by the ridiculous responses from their Customer Service and Social Media reps, they could care less. If anyone out there is considering purchasing a new vehicle, do not make the same mistake I did. Do your homework and stay away from this disgraceful American Company! I owned Toyota previously and never had issues like this. I really wanted to have hope that an American company could build a quality vehicle because I would rather buy American products but this is beyond junk that they have sold to us. Never again!
  • So far no response at all from my good friends at GM(C). Total silence.

I guess they are not interested in selling many vehicles over many years to a person with household income over $200K. I'll stick with my BMW buying. Yes they are slightly more expensive, but the service is top notch and they do stand behind their product!
  • Well, I just took my Acadia to the GM Dealership and it is going to cost me $3800 for a used transmission to be put in. He told me it would be $5,000 for a brand new one. I also asked the actual mechanic how many other Acadia's have been brought in (mind you this is a very small town) he said 6 but they were under warranty. So that right there tells me that if they are still under warranty they are a BAD design in the first place. So now I am stuck with the $3,800 bill. Also I inquired about trading it in at the dealership where it is getting fixed and they were hesitant on wanting to take it as a trade. Imagine that a GM dealership not wanting to take a trade on one of there own vehicles. Maybe because they know other crap is about to happen. The mechanic said the next thing to go is the timing belt will stretch and cause problems. Just great! Love how these people stand behind their vehicles. I will not purchase another GM product. This is insane how they treat people. I guess I will go ahead and put the extended warranty on it now since more is to come. So GM make sure you include this trip to the DEALERSHIP on my file since I don't have a strong enough case to escalate it to the next level to get financial help.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Apparently falls on deaf ears. See for yourself.

GMC Acadia sales
  • jen518jen518 Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Acadia. It has 88000 miles on it. Started to act funny and would not shift between 20 and 25 mph. Took it to the dealership who said I need an entire new transmission and since it was put into production in 2007 is no longer under warranty. No lights or warning of transmission issues just all of a sudden came on. Still owe 20,000 on the vehicle. Spoke to GM rep who said they know Nothing of transmission issues in the Acadia? This blog is full of them. Any tips on how to address this with GM? Repair is close to 4000!