Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Acadia Transmission Problems

Comments

• Mj198,
    I understand that vehicle repairs can be stressful, but thank you for allowing us the chance to resolve your concerns. Do you have any current concerns? Please let us know if we can be of any assistance.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I would get in touch with the BBB and make a complaint against GM...Send GM a certified letter too...but definitely you should make a complaint...I have been there same problems that you are having plus the transmission...We just got rid of it. That was our first and last GM I WOULD NEVER EVER waste my money like that again!!! Everyone use to say to Acadia was so pretty all I could say is pretty girl no brains that is what I would compare it to. O by the way I am talking about a 2010. Every time I think about it it makes me angry.

We tried working with GM and getting a case number we really thought we were doing something. We got nothing but voice mails, ringing phones that no one would answer, rude GM associates and lies. Or someone telling us to go miles away so another dealership could look at the vehicle. If you need anymore information or help I would be more then happy to:)
  • Well... It's back to the dealer in the morning. I still don't have a good feeling about this vehicle. I was hoping that the repair would fix the vibration (chugging at about 1200 rpm) but it's still there. I also have a whine I did not have before I had the no upshift problem. Does anyone know if they will put the alternate shift point programming in a 08? I've read that might fix the chugging problem.
  • Have to agree, if anyone finds such a class action, would be interested. I have very similar experience, roll-back on hills. I was told because of the front-wheel drive type transmission, but that's phooy. It is still safety related. If you take it out of gear, it clunks something horrible. I think that's where folks are having trouble with transmission. Had mine replaced at 102,000 on my 2007 SLT. GM didn't even share the cost of the so-said 100Kmile warranty. I've had Toyotas and Hondas, and they sometimes share the cost. I had my mechanic take pictures of the transmission, lots of shavings, so my theory I feel is on cue.
    So other issues are: 1. Shuttering brakes. 2. DVD-Audio System does not separate sound front to back. 2. Power-Steering pump, had to replace and use syn-oil. 3. Rear Door HAtch hydraulics failed. 4. When leaving back hatch door open, no alarm sounds when engaging into drive/reverse. 5. Sun roof leaked.
    It will be a long time before I buy another GM product, probably never.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    edited January 2012
    I'm sorry that you had such an unsatisfactory experience with our Customer Assistance Center. Could we look into your case for you to make sure that everything was handled appropriately? Please email us the number, and we'll get you any information we can.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer service
  • Are the issues you listed current concerns? We can set up a Service Request to help work towards a resolution on these if they are. Please send us an email with the following information: your name/Edmunds user name, your contact information (phone and address please), the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership. My coworker Christina, who answers most of the emails from Edmunds, will advise you as to our next steps.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Hi Sarah,
    It is to late now we just rid of the 10. We started out with an 08 brand new Acadia. Then one day as we are driving in the 08 my son yells from the back mommy its raining on me we look in the back and we have water rushing in the vehicle from the sunroof. So we go to the dealership lets just say that after about 10times back and forth to the dealership without the problem ever being fixed. We decide to give GM a call and this is when the nightmare begin. We were disrespected lied to told that someone would call us back everything that someone would tell a person to string them along. We hired a lawyer that delt with the lemon law seems as though he was working for GM more then he was working with us. That is when we had enough and we filed a case with BBB and wrote GM a certified letter. The outcome from that was a 2010 Acadia... A year after having the vehicle one thing after another happened we had that vehicle in the shop so much that my husband and I would say that we have a whole new different vehicle because the dealership was in and out of that thing like crazy fixing this part replacing that part it was just a mess to the point that every time that I would get into the vehicle I would just cringe. We filed about three different cases on this vehicle one time we got car payments and extended warranty then we got a couple of car payments that is great but paid over 40 thousand for this vehicle I just think its ridiculous!!!!! Thanks for trying to help but I am done with GM I will never, ever buy another vehicle from them..I could never recommend to anyone that I know a GM vehicle and we were asked by plenty of people about the Acadia when we had it. So now my husband and I are looking to buy another vehicle..I have had Toyota and Nissan and nothing like this has ever happened as a matter of fact I have a 2000 Nissan still driving it by the way it has never been in the shop for any reason...GM needs to look at the Acadia and see what the problem is there is a really big problem with those vehicles!!!!
  • Brooklyngirl1,
    Given your experience, I understand and respect your decision. I hope that you are able to find a vehicle that will serve you well, and wish you all the best!
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Clearly im glad i came here before deciding to buy an acadia. True its a nice looking vehicle. But sheesh, these tranny nightmares are exactly why i dumped my ford windstar , dropped domestics forever, and wont look back. We have a toyota sienna van, thats been totally trouble free. But were thinking an suv would be nice. Sorry, but these post have me convinced that government motors corp. Still doesnt have its act together. Its ashame, because the vehicles have nice designs, and more attractive than many japan makes, but quality just isnt there. Period.

My sienna will blow the doors off nearly every vehicle on a highway in terms of acceleration. Hasnt been in the shop once after 40,000 miles, except to replace the crap dunlop tires. Easy to solve problem. Put on 80000 mile michis. Space behind 3rd row seat ? Are you kdding me ? We could pack for a family of 10 and still have room to spare. No suv has that, and the space behind any of them is non existent. Why have 3 rows, if you have to put luggage in 3rd row ?

Extremely happy '08 toyota owner. Btw, $29k list, bought for $23k all in. Retail sell value currently - $24k. Folks there is no depreciation on a toyota sienna. What does that tell you about reliability ? These vehicles are bullet proof. Sorry but i aint drinking the sexy looking, no substance gm o r domestic koolaid. Buy a sienna if you want room, quality, comfort ride, storage, zero visits to a dealership, and zero phone calls to bbb, or an attorney. Thank you toyota ? For building a vehicle the way it should be ?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,935
    edited February 2012
    Well, you're reading a "problems" discussion, not a happy camper one. There's plenty of problem posts over in the Sienna discussions too.

Our Identifix reliability ratings for both the Sienna and Acadia show "Minimal Problems".

People like their Acadias over in the Consumer Reviews too.

Nice thing about modern cars is that most of them are very reliable. Next time you cruise around note how many you see broken down on the side of the road.

Now, Windstars were indeed another story.

Enjoy your ride.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I now own a 2012 Acadia Denali. From day one I've noticed a problem with the transmission that, one day, will be life threatening. I'm not exaggerating this. The dealer says "it's just the way the 6 speed trany works. It sometimes has trouble finding a downshift or upshift gear. But, it will learn the way you drive and you will see a difference over time". Right, what a load! Six months later and it remains the same.

Here's how I can explain it: Normal acceleration getting on to the highway up to highway speed. No problem. Smooth, quiet, nice! Travels at normal speeds and normal conditions beautifully. Love the car...however, if...no, when you come to a situation where you need to suddenly change lanes when traffic ahead has either slowed or stopped ahead, you need to back off the accelerator so you don't hit the guy in front of you and change lanes.. but then when you've made the lane change and re-accelerate...nothing happens accept engine revs (sometimes up to 6k rpm's to attempt to make up for the nothingness) with no transmission to the wheels...nothing!...no to-the-road acceleration at all for what seems like an eternity. You know that feeling when you're supposed to accelerate but don't so your body leans forward looking for it?? It happens alot.

I tested it on open road to see how long it would really take (for this posting) and it's up to 5 seconds or more unless you back off the accelerator again so the transmission can now find an appropriate gear to match the rpm's and on you go. Meantime, the tractor trailer coming up behind you at highway speed only has you to stop him!

This same scenario happens in New York City traffic as well. Changing city lanes and acceleration is normal driving there. If you don't accelerate very slowly, the same "nothing" occurs. Try to save your a-s by accelerating quickly and that's when you get into trouble.

This issue can't only be mine. Some feedback would be great!
  • mccheezmccheez Posts: 1
    To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing you today to express my dissatisfaction with my new 2010 GMC Acadia I purchased in November, 2009. I have had numerous problems with the car and nothing seems to have fixed it.

One problem that I understand is the roll back on the slightest of hills. Everything I've read is this is "normal" and not to worry about it. OK. Just had to mention it.

Now, my real problem is a "clunking" noise that we have had starting around 20K miles and still have at 50K. It started with a problem with noises in the steering area and we have had the steering box replaced 3 times. We've also had the steering column greased up twice.

But there still exists a clunking noise in the front end. I just got back from the dealer and they replaced the front stabilizer bar bushings promising this would take care of it. Nope. And while they were at it, they replaced the water pump that apparently was leaking.

So, now I have a new water pump, new bushings, a new steering gear box and still have "clunking" noises up front and NOW HAVE A NEW NOISE. This one sounds like a it's either coming from the transmission or the tires but only occurs when you turn. Great!

So, I'm running out of answers and developing more problems!

The dealer is nice, but still not finding or fixing the problem. I get the same thing everytime I go. "We'll have a tech listen for the noises". And what really happens is NOTHING. No noise they hear or their fix does nothing.

Help. Frustrated.
    mccheez,

I can see where making multiple trips to the dealership without feeling as though the reasons you made the trip in are fully resolved would be frustrating. If you would like for us to look into this for you, please email us at one of the addresses located in my profile here on the forum (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership) and my coworker Christina, who answers inbound emails from the forum, will advise you further.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • mrshart1mrshart1 Posts: 1
    If I only discovered the Edmunds forum prior to purchasing an Acadia; it has been a nightmare.

During the summer of 2011 my husband and I decided to purchase the Acadia; in January (2012) we notice the transmission slipping, my husband took the truck to GMC for service. After examining the car the Tech advised us the truck was fine it just need a software update because of the stability track. (At the time of the initial inspection the trucks mileage was approx 90,000) After the software reset the truck drove slightly better, however before long the transmission got progressively worst and completely died; in less than two months now at approx 100,600.

We spoke with the GMC service manager at Union Park (DE) who advised us that the truck was no longer under warranty and we would have to assume responsibility for the entire bill; we decided to reach out the GMC directly, whom seem very helpful initially and changed there tune shortly after. An advisor from GMC Corp office told us we were suppose to change the transmission fluid every 20,000 miles, which we later discovered wasn't true. The forced us to provide serviced records, which we did and the trucks recommended maintenance has always been completed, yet they are still wanting us pay, when the current issue has been a reoccurring.

I feel the GMC service advisers were negligent in the diagnosis of the transmission problem on my truck because they did not want to incur the full expense of repairing the transmission.

It is my belief that the GMC brand has been poorly represented by all individuals who have attempted to mend this issue, and Acadia is not backed by the manufacture/service advisors, I would discourage anyone from purchasing the GMC/Union Park brands, you will not only have the expense of your car payment, however you will also have a set of pretty significant repair bills; and extended periods without your car.

My car has been in the shop for almost a month, I’ve had to continue making payments, find other options for transportations, fight with the dealership and manufacture; and I am stuck with a pretty heavy repair bill……. Thank you GMC & Union Park
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,166
    mrshart1,
    I apologize for your frustrations and inconvenience. Can you please email me with your VIN, as well as your case number? I would like to look into this further. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • 4 days ago my check engine light came on when i was pulling into my drive. mind you i live on a highway and i was at a complete stop waiting for traffic and when it was clear i tried to accelerate hit 6000 rpm's and was doing all of 5 miles per hour. thats when i noticed the check engine light was on. that night i tried to drive my car to autozone to see why the check engine light was on and 8 different codes came on all having to do with the trasmission and speed sensors in the transmission. i took it to the dealer where i baught it and they changed the sensors and the technician drove my car for 10 miles and the check engine lught came back on for the same reason. so today i took my car to a local GM dealership to have them check it out and see what the problem is. i have an '07 acadia. as for your description of acceleration i completely understand what youre talking about. i dont know a lot about cars and when i experienced this the first couple of times i thought it was odd but i thought maybe it was just me. but now i see many, many people are having problems with their acadia. since i purchased the car in september 2011 i have received 2 letters from GM about recalls the first is to get my car to a local GM dealer for early wear of the timeing chain, because there was some issue with the computer system and people were waiting nearing 7000 miles before getting their next oil change because the computer kept telling people that there was 35% or whatever oil life left. the second recall letter i got was about the headlamps that need to be replaced. and just recently i received another letter about the timing chain issue and if i feel the timing chain and that there are still issues with it.
    I really love the car just not the issues im hearing about. so far i havent really had any poblems, or atleast not as bad as whats written - but i am nervous.
    i just wanted to contact you and let you know that you are not the only one that is experiencing the lag in acceleration especially on the highway.
    amyhill91,
    I'm sorry to hear that your Acadia has left you feeling nervous! How did your dealership visit go yesterday?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • danb10danb10 Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    I wish I had heard about the transmission problems earlier, as I would have sold it and rid myself of a host of other problems. I bought a 2008 Acadia after owning Ford Explorers for 10 years with no problems what so ever. I liked everything about the Acadia and decided to switch to GMC. I had problems from day one with a leak in the sunroof, that they admitted was a design flaw and finally after 2 attempts corrected it. I had continual stabilitrac issues with the light coming on and having to again take it to the dealership to correct which they did. I have no issue with the dealership, as they handled every problem professionally and under warranty. At 125,000 miles the transmission died while 25 miles from home with a puddle of fluid under the car. I paid a tow truck to tow it to the dealership where they told me the tranny was blown with a hole in the case which caused the puddle of fluid. After a $4,000 transmission replacement, since it was out of warranty, I was informed that the following gaskets were shot, leaking and needing replacement: 1) rear main seal (why wasn't this replaced when they had the transmission out!), 2) valve cover gaskets, 3) oil pan gasket, 4) timing cover gasket, all of which would cost another $4,000 to replace. I'm a fleet buyer and have never had serious vehicle problems like this at only 125,000 miles. Not sure what I'm going to do at this point, but the thought of replacing it with another Acadia will never happen. I'll probably go back to a Ford product that I never had a problem with.
    danb10,

I'm sorry to read about the difficulties you've encountered with your Acadia. If we can work with you to explore any available options, please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership). My coworker Christina, who answers inbound emails from the forum, will assist further.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • rjheardrjheard Posts: 5
    I gave up on the 08 Acadia. I have never felt so unsure about a vehicle and ultimately didn't want to put my family in that vehicle everyday. It was mentioned briefly when I purchased it used from a GMC dealer that it had recently had a transmission 'update'. Forty days after we get it the transmission won't shift. It ended up being a TCM module but shifted like crap afterward and I was told that that's the way they drive. What a P.O.S. Took a big hit but traded for a 2012 CX-9 and really like it. I might give GM a shot in another 20 years. That's how long it took to get over the Z-24 I got burned on last time I took a chance.
    rjheard,

I'm sorry that the Acadia wasn't a satisfactory vehicle for you. I hope that your CX-9 will be a better fit!

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • We bought our 2008 Acadia 1 year ago with 32,000 miles on it. We just over 42,000 miles and were just told today that we need a new transmission! REALLY? I am so angry at GMC and we plan to fight this! It looks like we are not the only ones in this position and I am wondering why GMC has NEVER recalled these cars?? I am worried that is just the begining of our problems and we can't afford re-occuring work done on our car. Has anyone had luck with GMC paying for a new transmission? What about recalls?

Super angry!!
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    The repair should not cost you anything because the powertrain warranty is 5 years or 100k miles. Good luck.
    Good morning shoffman1,

I'm sorry to read that you're so upset! jpf is correct - there should still be the powertrain warranty on your vehicle. If you would like for us to look up warranty information and provide that to you (parameters of expiration), please send us an email that includes the last 8 of your VIN to socialmedia@gm.com and we would be happy to do so.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • We owned a 2007 Acadia that had numerous issues with water leaks and also started developing electrical problems with components on the front passenger side of the vehicle where many of the leaks occured. Each and everytime our dealer took care of us with these problems. When we were out of the bumper to bumper warranty (we we're at 90K miles). We called GMC Customer Service and they were fantastic. They covered over $2,000 worth of repairs at no cost to us. Even after our Acadia was fixed they offered us $1,500 in extra dealer incentives to put towards a new car within the next year. We ended up taking them up on their offer and bought a 2011 Acadia that has been flawless. Make sure you talk to GMC customer service as they will help make sure you are more than happy to help you resolve your issues and they will instruct the dealers what they expect them to do for you to fix your problem. Good Luck!!
  • ryanf79ryanf79 Posts: 2
    edited March 2012
    My family of 6 was leaving SW Florida this morning to drive back to Ohio. About an hour into our trip I began to pass a semi when the transmission on my '07 GMC Acadia locked up. The tach was pegged at 4500 but there was no response from the accelerator. I consider myself to be an experienced driver, but trying to steer a dying car through 4 lanes of 70mph traffic while simultaneously answering my wife and 4 kids questions about what was happening was quite scary. We had the vehicle towed to Conley GMC in Bradenton, FL where they informed me it needed a new transmission that is costing me $3700 and 3-5 days. We not only have that expense, but we now have a rental car to pay for. I am not only disappointed in the car, but with GM. After reading the numerous posts from just this one forum about the same issue, I would have thought GM would've tried to correct this, but it seems that profit comes before customer satisfaction. We had a water pump go out early in the vehicle's life, and like everyone else we have had the timing belt replaced. What makes this worse is that I had to convince my wife to buy this car new instead of a Honda Pilot because I wanted to support an American company. The first thing she said when the dealer told us about the transmission was that she's not buying another GMC. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ryan
    Ryan,

I'm so sorry to hear that you trip was disrupted like this! If you would please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com, we would be happy to get a Service Request set up for you and look into this further (please include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    It's great to hear how well you were taken care of mmaseadog, and I'm doubly thrilled that your new Acadia has been doing its job!
    Many happy miles,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • shane39shane39 Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 07 Acadia and I've had it less than a month
    And it's been in the shop 3 times already for remote start,lift gate and transmission
    We got it back less than a week ago and now it's stuck In my garage and won't
    Go into reverse.wished I would have researched this before I bought it
    I haven't even made the first payment yet..
  • shane39shane39 Posts: 2
    I'm sick sick.im having a lot of problems
    Out of my Acadia.transmission is out now.