Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Acadia Transmission Problems

Comments

• it would be great if they offered a reasonable extended warranty for those that have had problems. i only hve seven months left and dont feel very confidant in my acadia.
  • I am glad to hear that your transmission concerns were resolved. As far as service contracts are concerned, we do have GM Protection Plans available, but only when the vehicle is within its manufacturer's warranty, which is the Bumper-to-Bumper warranty, for the first three years/36,000 miles on a vehicle (whichever comes first) or that the point of purchase on a pre-owned vehicle. If we can be of any further assistance, please be sure to let us know.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • So there is no GM extended warranty offers after the 5 year one is up? I keep getting extended warrenty offers in the mail but they are not from GM and dont know how reputable they are. I just know I cant pay for a transmission repair out of pocket and I have a bad feeling there are more issues to come.
  • I understand that a transmission repair out of pocket would be daunting. Hopefully I can clarify our programs for you -
    A GMC Extended Bumper-to-Bumper limited warranty is only available at the time of purchase for 2011/2012 vehicles.
    The GM Protection Plans, or GMPPs, we have available can be purchased at any time during the Bumper-to-Bumper limited warranty, which is in effect for the first 3 years/36,000 miles that a vehicle is in service.
    That is all that is available through General Motors. However, dealerships offer different service contracts and extended warranties from different companies. Your preferred dealer would be a good resource to learn more about what is available and what is reputable.
    I hope this is helpful,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Hi I think I may be able to help you..I have had 2 Acadia's my husband and I just sold the 2010 that we had...It has been nothing but a nightmare for us. I wanted to E-mail you but your E-mail was private
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,936
    Is there some reason you can't post and help everyone? We all benefit when a problem is discussed on the open forum. Trying to contact someone off the boards defeats the purpose of having a forum. Thanks.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Hi I am very new to this and don't know how all of this worked.I read a comment felt compelled to help. That is why I signed up. I never did anything like this before I am not on forums and chat rooms. Saw that someone was having a problem like me and just wanted to help no more or less that was it.
    Thanks
    I would Love to help everyone
  • Hello, you need to write a certified letter to GMC about the problems you are having. A certified letter and get in touch with the the BBB its a lot of work but it is worth it. Make sure you do a certified letter first then BBB. From my experience GMC was just stringing us along until our warranty ended and when that happens you are jacked and they know this. They say to call they give a case number then you hear nothing from them or you hear I am so sorry about the troubles you are having with your vehicle. Also make sure when you take the vehicle in for repairs you get all the paper work BBB will ask you for that and they will ask you for any written correspondace you have had with GMC. The certified letter is important and once you send a certified letter it stops the warranty in time:) hope this helps you a little
    Thanks!

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• mj198mj198 Posts: 1
    I bought a 2008 Acadia SLT - love the look, room, towing ability (have a 4,500 lb. boat and trailer) and mpg. At 25,000 the transfer case went out (covered by warranty), then the radio (it worked but the screen is blank so you don't know the station), then the front struts, the rack and pinion and most recently the power steering pump all before 70,000 miles.

Only the transfer case was covered by the GMC warranty. Looking at a Nissan Pathfinder or Toyota 4-Runner; I realize the ride will be harsher (on a truck frame) but have a hard time with a vehicle that ate up $2,500 in repairs in the first three years.
  • Mj198,
    I understand that vehicle repairs can be stressful, but thank you for allowing us the chance to resolve your concerns. Do you have any current concerns? Please let us know if we can be of any assistance.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I would get in touch with the BBB and make a complaint against GM...Send GM a certified letter too...but definitely you should make a complaint...I have been there same problems that you are having plus the transmission...We just got rid of it. That was our first and last GM I WOULD NEVER EVER waste my money like that again!!! Everyone use to say to Acadia was so pretty all I could say is pretty girl no brains that is what I would compare it to. O by the way I am talking about a 2010. Every time I think about it it makes me angry.

We tried working with GM and getting a case number we really thought we were doing something. We got nothing but voice mails, ringing phones that no one would answer, rude GM associates and lies. Or someone telling us to go miles away so another dealership could look at the vehicle. If you need anymore information or help I would be more then happy to:)
  • Well... It's back to the dealer in the morning. I still don't have a good feeling about this vehicle. I was hoping that the repair would fix the vibration (chugging at about 1200 rpm) but it's still there. I also have a whine I did not have before I had the no upshift problem. Does anyone know if they will put the alternate shift point programming in a 08? I've read that might fix the chugging problem.
  • Have to agree, if anyone finds such a class action, would be interested. I have very similar experience, roll-back on hills. I was told because of the front-wheel drive type transmission, but that's phooy. It is still safety related. If you take it out of gear, it clunks something horrible. I think that's where folks are having trouble with transmission. Had mine replaced at 102,000 on my 2007 SLT. GM didn't even share the cost of the so-said 100Kmile warranty. I've had Toyotas and Hondas, and they sometimes share the cost. I had my mechanic take pictures of the transmission, lots of shavings, so my theory I feel is on cue.
    So other issues are: 1. Shuttering brakes. 2. DVD-Audio System does not separate sound front to back. 2. Power-Steering pump, had to replace and use syn-oil. 3. Rear Door HAtch hydraulics failed. 4. When leaving back hatch door open, no alarm sounds when engaging into drive/reverse. 5. Sun roof leaked.
    It will be a long time before I buy another GM product, probably never.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    edited January 2012
    I'm sorry that you had such an unsatisfactory experience with our Customer Assistance Center. Could we look into your case for you to make sure that everything was handled appropriately? Please email us the number, and we'll get you any information we can.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer service
  • Are the issues you listed current concerns? We can set up a Service Request to help work towards a resolution on these if they are. Please send us an email with the following information: your name/Edmunds user name, your contact information (phone and address please), the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership. My coworker Christina, who answers most of the emails from Edmunds, will advise you as to our next steps.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Hi Sarah,
    It is to late now we just rid of the 10. We started out with an 08 brand new Acadia. Then one day as we are driving in the 08 my son yells from the back mommy its raining on me we look in the back and we have water rushing in the vehicle from the sunroof. So we go to the dealership lets just say that after about 10times back and forth to the dealership without the problem ever being fixed. We decide to give GM a call and this is when the nightmare begin. We were disrespected lied to told that someone would call us back everything that someone would tell a person to string them along. We hired a lawyer that delt with the lemon law seems as though he was working for GM more then he was working with us. That is when we had enough and we filed a case with BBB and wrote GM a certified letter. The outcome from that was a 2010 Acadia... A year after having the vehicle one thing after another happened we had that vehicle in the shop so much that my husband and I would say that we have a whole new different vehicle because the dealership was in and out of that thing like crazy fixing this part replacing that part it was just a mess to the point that every time that I would get into the vehicle I would just cringe. We filed about three different cases on this vehicle one time we got car payments and extended warranty then we got a couple of car payments that is great but paid over 40 thousand for this vehicle I just think its ridiculous!!!!! Thanks for trying to help but I am done with GM I will never, ever buy another vehicle from them..I could never recommend to anyone that I know a GM vehicle and we were asked by plenty of people about the Acadia when we had it. So now my husband and I are looking to buy another vehicle..I have had Toyota and Nissan and nothing like this has ever happened as a matter of fact I have a 2000 Nissan still driving it by the way it has never been in the shop for any reason...GM needs to look at the Acadia and see what the problem is there is a really big problem with those vehicles!!!!
  • Brooklyngirl1,
    Given your experience, I understand and respect your decision. I hope that you are able to find a vehicle that will serve you well, and wish you all the best!
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Clearly im glad i came here before deciding to buy an acadia. True its a nice looking vehicle. But sheesh, these tranny nightmares are exactly why i dumped my ford windstar , dropped domestics forever, and wont look back. We have a toyota sienna van, thats been totally trouble free. But were thinking an suv would be nice. Sorry, but these post have me convinced that government motors corp. Still doesnt have its act together. Its ashame, because the vehicles have nice designs, and more attractive than many japan makes, but quality just isnt there. Period.

My sienna will blow the doors off nearly every vehicle on a highway in terms of acceleration. Hasnt been in the shop once after 40,000 miles, except to replace the crap dunlop tires. Easy to solve problem. Put on 80000 mile michis. Space behind 3rd row seat ? Are you kdding me ? We could pack for a family of 10 and still have room to spare. No suv has that, and the space behind any of them is non existent. Why have 3 rows, if you have to put luggage in 3rd row ?

Extremely happy '08 toyota owner. Btw, $29k list, bought for $23k all in. Retail sell value currently - $24k. Folks there is no depreciation on a toyota sienna. What does that tell you about reliability ? These vehicles are bullet proof. Sorry but i aint drinking the sexy looking, no substance gm o r domestic koolaid. Buy a sienna if you want room, quality, comfort ride, storage, zero visits to a dealership, and zero phone calls to bbb, or an attorney. Thank you toyota ? For building a vehicle the way it should be ?
    edited February 2012
    Well, you're reading a "problems" discussion, not a happy camper one. There's plenty of problem posts over in the Sienna discussions too.

Our Identifix reliability ratings for both the Sienna and Acadia show "Minimal Problems".

People like their Acadias over in the Consumer Reviews too.

Nice thing about modern cars is that most of them are very reliable. Next time you cruise around note how many you see broken down on the side of the road.

Now, Windstars were indeed another story.

Enjoy your ride.