Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Chevy Equinox

Comments

• I stand corrected............you are right at 3779#......Sorry
  • wnukwnuk Posts: 40
    wingroot- when shopping for my Nox I hadn't come across any V6's to test drive. I thought the 4 would be plenty for what I was looking for and haven't been disappointed. I'm curious if you drove both the 4 and 6 before deciding on the 6 and if so did the 6 really give that much more power over the 4? I wish I could have tested for myself but no local dealers had a 6 to compare to. Thanks for any comparison you can make.
  • colt_herocolt_hero Posts: 104
    So for all the people out there looking to tow something with their 2010 Equinox, be advised that with a curb weight of 3700# and a Gross Vehicle Weight of 5200#, you can only tow about 1500# with the vehicle empty (and even less with passengers on board).

But judging by an earlier post here, maybe you should think twice about attaching a trailer hitch to this vehicle...
    I hope they're giving you another vehicle because I know if it was ME there would be NO WAY I'd be keeping THAT one! A lot of times when you go to these dealerships, they just about let you drive the car around the block - not enough of a test to detect potential problems like you've encountered. I remember test driving a brand new Impala I was SURE I was going to be buying. I had driven 150 miles one way to purchase it. But when I got out onto the main drag (very hilly) and was able to get it up to speed I realized there was something wrong in the front wheels (bearing or brake-related, I wasn't sure). The salesman assured me it could be taken care of, but I didn't want anything to do with it. The next good deal also ended up being 150 miles away, but on that trip I DID buy. Funny thing there was the car had a shake in the front-end, like a tire out of round or something - so I test drove another unit (the dealer had EIGHT all equipped the same way). Again, the same shake was felt. It was only after the 3rd or 4th test drive that we (me and the sales guy) realized it was the road (ripples in the asphalt)!!!

Sounds like maybe you weren't able to give this unit a good test drive??? Regardless - get rid of it and report the whole incident to GM with the vehicle's VIN number. If it's a manufacturing defect I'm sure GM will be embarrased and will happily give you another unit. If it's the result of abuse at the dealership, GM should know about that, too.
  • I was much more comfortable with the 6. I felt the car was underpowered with the four. When the four was pushed there was some hesitation and engine pre-ignition (ping). Also the 4 has electric steering....found it too sloppy. 6 has hydraulic steering.....solid, good road feel. It, as always, comes down to a PERSONAL prefferance. What you feel comfortable with.
  • The towing capacity for the Equinox is 3500# with the V6.
    Yeah, but the footnote says "may require multiple transmission rebuilds depending on terrain and actual gross vehicle weight..."
  • We ordered this Equinox back in July and were just picking it up. So we did not take it for a test drive. Who would ever think that there would be something wrong with it at that point with 6 miles on it. The techs had driven it in to check fluids and do the inspection of the vehicle and they drove it up to the front of the dealer lot for us to leave in it. When we left in it...nothing seemed out of the ordinary. However...a couple miles down the road...voila...failure!

They did give us a rental car until they figured out what was wrong with the Equinox and can fix it.

I will definitely be calling GM ... and the local GM rep in the area. Would sure like to know what they can "do" for us. Although everyone likes to suggest that we get "another car" ... there are procedures to follow before the Lemon Law kicks in. So, we have to wait and see how the "fix" goes and all. I told them I want to physically see the parts that failed in the transmission.
  • wnuk - I am about to order and drove both the 4 and the 6. There is a huge difference. I made sure my test drive included steep hills and highway merging - this is where the difference is most apparent. If you just drive it on level streets around town - not so much.
  • I agree. Just had the car on a 600 mi. trip. What a positive difference the six made. In steering and available power. So far, I feel Chevy hit a home run with this one.
  • Hello everyone. Have a few issues with mine. Remote start doesn't seem to work right. Could be a fuel issue but the dealership has twice told me nothing is wrong with it because they can't duplicate the fault or get a fault code. In the mornings, I try to remote start and it doens't start and occasonally hangs and turns over for upwards of 10 seconds and then dies. Not good for the starter. I even have video footage and they said it wouldn't help them out a bit. Im going to get some more video footage and then go see my salesman and let him have it.

Secondly, Combined i'm only getting 18.5 or so combined gas mileage. I have about 900 miles on it. It has NEVER said more than 19.5. I would greatly appreciate anyones opion/insight.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,077
    Hello Taverlee,
    Have you taken the vehicle to a different dealership for a second opinion? Do any codes come up when the problem occurs? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • tarverleetarverlee Posts: 5
    edited October 2010
    Mariah,
    Thank you. That might should be my next step. No codes or fail lights on my end and Heritage Chevy in Chester, VA claims no codes and they can't get it to do what I claim. I even offered to show them video clips from my phone. They did not seem willing to do whatever necessary to satisfy me. Of course, I have yet to go to my salesman but that might be next as well. I'm paying too much money for it not to be perfect. They made me pick it up yesterday and said there was nothing they could do. The link is a video clip from my phone this morning at 0530 before I left for work. I have it and plan to get a few more this weekend and then head to the dealership until I get the help I deserve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux_m6lD43ao

link title
    Hello Tarverlee,
    If you go to a different dealership please let me know what the outcome is. The other way we could go is that I could set up a case for you and have an agent look at the situation further. If you would prefer to go this route please e-mail me your contact information, VIN, current mileage and dealership. Thank you,
  • I appreciate it. I'll think about that over the weekend. Here is a video of what it did when left work a few hours ago. And they won't do anything....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMmY2woFEGQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Tarverlee,

I'd make a new video. They won't take you seriously if they see you mashing the lock button trying to start the car.

Also, I'd extend the video to include a 2nd start with the key to show the difference (if there IS any) in how it starts up. What's with that screeching noise it was making just before it caught and started. Is that a loose/slipping belt??
  • Hey thanks for the input. There is a huge difference with key starting it...no problems at all so I'll do as you suggested. It is a requirement to push lock first to start it.
    I guess that makes sense - having to press the lock button first.

Using the remote, the car seemed to make a screeching noise at the very end of the startup cycle just before it "caught" and started running. I'm assuming this noise is real and not a side-effect of the video or where the car was parked. You say this doesn't happen with the key. Here's a possibility for where that noise might be coming from:

When a car is started by key, the key is immediately released once the driver realizes (by ear) that the car has started. But if the driver does not drive off immediately (maybe they're sitting waiting for someone), they can make the mistake of turning the key AGAIN with the engine already running (after the engine rpm has warmed down to an inaudible level). Doing this causes the starter motor to try to re-engage a moving flywheel ring gear (causing a screeching noise).

I wonder if the remote starter is somehow trying to start the car twice - engaging the starter motor into the ring gear twice during the cranking cycle. Just guessing here, but maybe there is some microphone inside the engine compartment that acts like a human ear to detect when the car is "started" and it's not working properly - maybe due to distortion? Try remote-starting the car in different enviroments to see if this has any effect (in an open area vs. inside a closed-in area).
  • Picked up my new Equinoz 4 days ago. I used the remote starter for the first time. While I was sitting inside the car waiting for my wife to come out for church I was getting a feel for the dash buttons. When I pressed the hazard lights the security system shut the car down. The ignition switch was locked and could not be restarted. We have On Star and purchased extra minutes for the hands free phone. Without the ignition on On Star won't work. I used my cell phone to call road side assistance and after what seemed like a very long time and lots of button pushing I did get a person to talk to. Nothing can be reset remotely and the car needs to be towed to the dealership. Luckily I had a Ford in the drive way I could drive to church.
  • No problem. Hazards work fine. Ign. on or off, or any other combination . Remot start has worked normally.
  • Whats also interesting about the security system locking the ignition switch is that the tow truck will be here in the morning to tow it to the dealer. The car is outside with the front against the garage door. With the ignition locked it can't be taken out of park and can't be moved with the front wheels on the driveway. I guess they will have to jack up the front and put front wheels on dollies to pull it back from the garage. The Equinox has 350 miles on it.
  • wnukwnuk Posts: 40
    Thanks for that. I wish I had the chance myself but no local dealers had a six. I can't say I'm disappointed with the 4 cyl though. With 186 hp it's plenty powerful for most situations. Even merging into highway traffic I haven't found issue so far.

Now have 2500 miles on it in 5 weeks. Averaging 28 MPG combined driving. I'm finding the computer is showing about 2.3 MPG lower then when I calculate it. I live in northeast PA and climb many mountains on 2 lane roads and highways so I'm plenty satisfied with the MPG. To date I haven't had any of the issues reported in this or other threads and feel really bad for those that have. Hope everyone gets thei situations worked out.
  • My Equinox is unlocked and running after shutting down during the warm up phase. During warm up from the remote start it will shut down if the hazard lights are turned on. After this shut down the remote start will not work until the key is turned on. In this particular case the electric power steering had forced the steering wheel very hard in one direction and could only be turned with much difficulty after the shut down. The ignition can only be turned on if the steering wheel is not putting pressure on the ignition switch. The tow truck driver figured out what the problem was. He says he has about 2 calls a week for the same thing even with other makes. I have tried several times and could only duplicate the same condition one time. Its an embarrassment for me and should also be for GM Road Side Assistance since they didn't know how to help me except to tow it to a dealer.
  • Chrevrolet will supply as an accessory for the Equinox a 1 1/4" trailer hitch and wiring harness, $274 price tag. A 2" hitch is not available. I wanted to have a 2" hitch installed for a handicap scooter lift at the local trailer shop. I do have a small boat that I may tow sometime in the future. When I went to the Chevrolet parts department they told me that the wire harness is not available for the 2009, 2010 or 2011 Equinox and to check back in 6 months. My sales person got involed and verified that this was the case. It is not advisable to splice into the wiring and you actually need the wiring harness. Has anyone wired their Equniox for towing?
    Hello Tarverlee,
    Not a problem. Please just let me know how you would like to proceed from here. Thank you,
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,250
    The steering thing sounds like something that is fairly common and people stumble across on occasion (myself included). Many times it is created by having pressure on the steering wheel when key it turned off. When you let go of wheel it turns back and tightly locks. It may be avoided by letting go of wheel prior to shut off (not a bad idea to leave it alone after shutoff also).
  • It's a learning process for both of us. I'm still finding little tricks that I can use to make things work my way. It's still a great car.
  • norbnancynorbnancy Posts: 118
    Just got a new equinox 4 cylinder, nice car. Can someone point me to the oil filter?
  • The oil filter is located on top of the engine; next to the oil dipstick under a black plastic cap. It's a cartirdge-style filer.
  • norbnancynorbnancy Posts: 118
    Thanks VWALBURN. Found it. Takes a 1- 1/4" wrench but no swing room for convential wrench. I might try a crow foot wrench. Thanks again.