Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Chevy Equinox

Comments

• A journalist would like to speak with a consumer who has recently installed an aftermarket GPS unit, rear entertainment unit, remote key entry, or back up camera. If interested, please send an email by Thursday, Sept 30, including the item you purchased/installed, your name, and phone number to pr@edmunds.com.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Now have *800 miles on my 2011 Equinox. Did 700 miles. PA TO Montauk NY. All average fuel consumption on a new car.....27.4 MPG. And, am I glad I chose a 6 cyl...... I cannot imagine hauling around 5,200 # with a 4.
  • colt_herocolt_hero Posts: 104
    wingroot,

That mileage looks pretty good for the V6, but what did you pay for your vehicle (and what options did you get)? Had to have been at least $27,000, right?

And you can tow 5200# with a V6 Equinox? Is there a tow package available like on the Traverse (w/ the heavy-duty cooler, electronics, and hitch)?
  • I did not tow 5200#. Thats how much the Nox weighs. I would rather not get into the price wars. Too much, you whuz robbed and so on. There are enough good web sites that will give you a close estimate of ball park prices.
    The 2011 Nox is a darn good auto.
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Posts: 114
    how did you get the nox to weigh 5200#? i thought curb weight was around 3700#
  • Yep...you read the title of this post correctly. Picked up our 2011 Equinox 4-cyl a few days ago and didn't even get 3 miles down the road until complete transmission failure. Car would not engage any gears anymore. Had 6 miles on it when we left the lot and 9 miles when it quit.

Dealership is now telling us that it was the failure of a clutch in the transmission that handles gears 1 through 4. Anyone have any information on this? I've searched the internet through and through for a diagram or schematic of this transmission, but haven't come up with anything.

Certainly spoils the anticipation of having a new car!
  • There is a sticker at the drivers side door frame. Unless its a mistake, it denotes a 5200# number.....arguer with GM....not me.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    5200# refers to the maximum weight of a fully loaded vehicle, not the curb weight of an empty vehicle. Curb weight is approx. 3900 lbs.
  • wnukwnuk Posts: 40
    Curb weight for an LT-1 FWD is 3779 lbs. AWD LT-1 is 3964 lbs.
    2011- That is awful to hear. Especially since you never got it home. Did you test drive before purchasing? If so, did anything sound odd about it? Hopefully the dealer will take good care of you. Did they provide you a loaner car while yours is being repaired? I would also contact GM customer service and voice my concerns. Keep us updated on how things go.
  • I stand corrected............you are right at 3779#......Sorry
    wingroot- when shopping for my Nox I hadn't come across any V6's to test drive. I thought the 4 would be plenty for what I was looking for and haven't been disappointed. I'm curious if you drove both the 4 and 6 before deciding on the 6 and if so did the 6 really give that much more power over the 4? I wish I could have tested for myself but no local dealers had a 6 to compare to. Thanks for any comparison you can make.
    So for all the people out there looking to tow something with their 2010 Equinox, be advised that with a curb weight of 3700# and a Gross Vehicle Weight of 5200#, you can only tow about 1500# with the vehicle empty (and even less with passengers on board).

But judging by an earlier post here, maybe you should think twice about attaching a trailer hitch to this vehicle...
    I hope they're giving you another vehicle because I know if it was ME there would be NO WAY I'd be keeping THAT one! A lot of times when you go to these dealerships, they just about let you drive the car around the block - not enough of a test to detect potential problems like you've encountered. I remember test driving a brand new Impala I was SURE I was going to be buying. I had driven 150 miles one way to purchase it. But when I got out onto the main drag (very hilly) and was able to get it up to speed I realized there was something wrong in the front wheels (bearing or brake-related, I wasn't sure). The salesman assured me it could be taken care of, but I didn't want anything to do with it. The next good deal also ended up being 150 miles away, but on that trip I DID buy. Funny thing there was the car had a shake in the front-end, like a tire out of round or something - so I test drove another unit (the dealer had EIGHT all equipped the same way). Again, the same shake was felt. It was only after the 3rd or 4th test drive that we (me and the sales guy) realized it was the road (ripples in the asphalt)!!!

Sounds like maybe you weren't able to give this unit a good test drive??? Regardless - get rid of it and report the whole incident to GM with the vehicle's VIN number. If it's a manufacturing defect I'm sure GM will be embarrased and will happily give you another unit. If it's the result of abuse at the dealership, GM should know about that, too.
  • I was much more comfortable with the 6. I felt the car was underpowered with the four. When the four was pushed there was some hesitation and engine pre-ignition (ping). Also the 4 has electric steering....found it too sloppy. 6 has hydraulic steering.....solid, good road feel. It, as always, comes down to a PERSONAL prefferance. What you feel comfortable with.
  • The towing capacity for the Equinox is 3500# with the V6.
    Yeah, but the footnote says "may require multiple transmission rebuilds depending on terrain and actual gross vehicle weight..."
  • We ordered this Equinox back in July and were just picking it up. So we did not take it for a test drive. Who would ever think that there would be something wrong with it at that point with 6 miles on it. The techs had driven it in to check fluids and do the inspection of the vehicle and they drove it up to the front of the dealer lot for us to leave in it. When we left in it...nothing seemed out of the ordinary. However...a couple miles down the road...voila...failure!

They did give us a rental car until they figured out what was wrong with the Equinox and can fix it.

I will definitely be calling GM ... and the local GM rep in the area. Would sure like to know what they can "do" for us. Although everyone likes to suggest that we get "another car" ... there are procedures to follow before the Lemon Law kicks in. So, we have to wait and see how the "fix" goes and all. I told them I want to physically see the parts that failed in the transmission.
  • wnuk - I am about to order and drove both the 4 and the 6. There is a huge difference. I made sure my test drive included steep hills and highway merging - this is where the difference is most apparent. If you just drive it on level streets around town - not so much.
  • I agree. Just had the car on a 600 mi. trip. What a positive difference the six made. In steering and available power. So far, I feel Chevy hit a home run with this one.