Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,762
    It was 60,000 miles until 1989 when it went to 90,000. In 1997, the interval went to 105,000 miles.
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    I guess her dealer tricked her into doing it sooner by using the old numbers. About like they try to do us, by saying we have to change the oil on our Civic every 3,000 miles when the book say 5,000 with our driving and climate.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    Dennis...try to understand this...DC vans don't bring KBB prices! I wish they did since it would make my life easier! I wish I could get someone at KBB to write checks to my customers for what they think their cars are worth!

What do you recommend for reference purposes then?
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    What do you recommend for reference purposes then?

Try trading one in. I got 800.00 less than KBB tradein and if my memory is correct from the Dodge prices pais Marine2 got 700.00 less than KBB tradein on his 2002 dodge dakota. Now thats real world BABY!!!
    Hmmm you picked and choosed and added from CR above. From CR March 2005:

Highs - Interior Flexibility
    Lows - Seat comfort, Interior Trim Mat'l, some controls.

You're picking "coarse engines" from main body I believe

This information is on page 37 on the APR 05 issue to the TEE!!!

I posted this in my post 3517 please read it(well before the post I am replying too)!!!!! I know you like things being repeated over and over again but I only want to write it once. Dennis you are alway complaining about all these little nit picky things glove boxes, weatherstripping, and recalls(in which not one's hade a accident or injury)OH MY!!

But if I talk about 0-60, VSC, braking, resale value, and reliability you freak out. Relax you made the choice you wanted. You say DGC is the best value, It might be for you but intellichioce say HONDA ODYSSEY!! And I BELIEVE!!!!
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    Folks, this discussion is intended for comparing the attributes of each vehicle so that prospective buyers can ask questions and make informed decisions -- it's not intended to be a spitting match. I understand the passion that some people here have for their vehicles, and it's great when they can explain why they made their choice. But trashing other people or their vehicles doesn't strengthen anyone's argument. Please stick to the comparisons and leave the insults out of it. Thanks.

ClaireS, Host
    Coupes & Convertibles | Vans & Minivans

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Let's start with controls that the idiot called (busy) and hard to read. You might want to explain busy to me, because I have no idea what that nut is talking about. Let's look at what another tester said in evuating the Dodge.

The instruments are straightforward: big, round analog gauges with white faces. They light up green at night. The dash is canted slightly forward for better visibility. Indicators for the turn signals and high beams are cleverly located in a thin hooded display above the instrument panel where they are easy to see.

Gee, are these two talking about the same minivan?

Now lets go to his "Lows - Seat comfort, Interior Trim Mat'l.

None of the Stow `n Go features would be all that great if the ergonomic design and seat comfort were sub-par. They are first-rate. Super High Density (SHD) foam, originally developed by NASA for astronaut seat comfort, is used for the seats, and it works just as well in a minivan as it does in space. Both first- and second-row seats recline up to 60 degrees for naps, and the second-row seats are adjustable fore-and-aft for legroom.

We must be talking about two different vans again.

"You're picking "coarse engines" from main body I believe"

PERFORMANCE: With 215 horsepower at 5000 rpm and 245 lb-ft of torque at 4000 rpm, the Grand Caravan SXT's 3.8-liter V6 has plenty of power to move the minivan's mass, and it returns reasonable fuel economy as a bonus. An EPA rating of 18 city, 25 highway, with around 20 mpg average may not be in hybrid territory, but is considerably better than any SUV with a similar passenger capacity. Although minivans are not usually thought of as tow vehicles, the SXT can tow up to 2,000 lbs in standard trim, or up to 3,800 lbs with the tow package.

I remember years ago we would put on new mufflers to try and get that sound. Only trouble, you only hear it when you floor it.
    Gee, are these two talking about the same minivan?

It is funny that people like different things and to one its great and to someone else it junk.

I have no use for Stow and Go. Never had the seats out of my Caravan in 4+ years.But I do think they're a nice feature. Some say they are comfortable but I wouldn't be sitting back there anyway. ;)

I think after looking at more information the Dodge/chrysler is trying to get there quality and reliablity(cars get better all the time) up and making strides. I had a 2001 with multiple problems. The 2 reviews I did find on the 2005 touchup said the fit and finish is improved.

For me plain and simple the Honda with VSC(thats why I didn't even look at dodge), standard side airbags, easy to understand packages and size configuration was right on. If you are looking at this forum drive them both if the features are what you need. The dodge will be a good value if you keep it for 10 years(and the standard warranty is longer)Unlike what you hear the Honda is not selling for over MSRP(Some dealers will try and make you think you have to pay that) I got mine for 3000.00+ under invoice.

I'm getting ready for a trip to sedona. I'll give you all the Pros and Cons of 7 hours with 3 kids in the Odyssey.
    Unlike what you hear the Honda is not selling for over MSRP(Some dealers will try and make you think you have to pay that) I got mine for 3000.00+ under invoice. MSRP EXL-RES 32,610.00 Cars Direct price 30,386.00 What I payed 29,575.00, Invioce 29,387.00.

Wow I should read what I write sometimes I mean MSRP. That's 3000.00+ less than MSRP. Wow I'm happy I caught that before someone else did.LOL
    I'm getting ready for a trip to sedona. I'll give you all the Pros and Cons of 7 hours with 3 kids in the Odyssey.

I just went up to Prescot last week in my new Dodge. First time I had to try that big mountain on Rte 17. That old 3.8 engine and four speed tranny flew up that thing. My 2001 Dodge Dakota didn't do that well. It kept down shifting.
    Guys, must be nice to claim there's no yardstick for comparisons like this. But you need to use something, not just vague, unsubstantiated numbers. KBB uses statistics from DOTs to calculate numbers so someone's getting them. Maybe Marine2 wanted to sell his car quickly...who knows.
    This information is on page 37 on the APR 05 issue to the TEE!!!

You are correct, I forgot the automotive issue, was just looking at March Minivan comparison. You may want to be more specific so you don't have to repeat yourself in the future i.e...source, date etc..

it's funny how CRs adds to the previous comments just a month old. Also...how in the posting the GM offerings are rated as "new" even though that's the furthest from the truth, and the Hondas are rated above? Which is "more" new?? definitely the Honda.

But if I talk about 0-60, VSC, braking, resale value, and reliability you freak out. Relax you made the choice you wanted. You say DGC is the best value, It might be for you but intellichioce say HONDA ODYSSEY!! And I BELIEVE!!!!

If we were talking sport cars....0-60, 60-0 would be major attributes worthy of nitpicking over 1.5 seconds or 4 feet. A majority of Minivan buyers could care less, and are more concerned with packaging, flexibility, features the improve the usefulness of their Minivan......Here DCX wins hands down.

It's easy to claim "resale value" and "reliability" and not back it up with anything substantial. It's easy to ignore recalls or dismiss em but they're affecting someone out there - whether or not anyone's been hurt. I now see there's a serious problem with Honda's AC canisters being easily damaged by stones, some Oddy owners are adding a new "grill" (wire mesh) to their vehicles. Will this become a styling fad for Hondas??? $800 bill - Ouch.

Regardless of what some "expert" says, people with their own cash are easily picking DCX vans over Honda. BTW - I'm friends with some of these "experts" from the auto mags here in Detroit. They're no better than most of us here, except they have a fun job
    I just went up to Prescot last week in my new Dodge. First time I had to try that big mountain on Rte 17. That old 3.8 engine and four speed tranny flew up that thing. My 2001 Dodge Dakota didn't do that well. It kept down shifting.

I took mine on trip from MI to WV camping over memorial day. Was fullly loaded - wife, 2 kids, 2 dogs, bikes, roof carrier and towing a 3500 lbs Coleman trailer.....the 3.8 didn't slow down a bit going up some VERY steep hills with lots of hairpin curves and no guard rails :) ohh and washed out roads too :) I kept her in 3rd gear. 17 mpg going there, 25 mpg coming back (without RV which I left at campsite since we're returning on July 4th week)
    Wow I should read what I write sometimes I mean MSRP. That's 3000.00+ less than MSRP. Wow I'm happy I caught that before someone else did.LOL

Apparently the recalls and problems are catching up with Honda, dealers are realizing it.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    VSC or ESC is mostly beneficial where understeer or oversteer is involved.i.e Running onto the shoulder on highway...then turning to hard to get vehicle back on road. I have trouble believing the 56% reduction in fatal single car crashes. Maybe, 56% of crashes that involve over/understeer. If you are traveling to fast on slippery roads it wouldn't matter what saftey feature you had...the tires can't grip.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Posts: 626
    Dennis...try to understand this...DC vans don't bring KBB prices! I wish they did since it would make my life easier! I wish I could get someone at KBB to write checks to my customers for what they think their cars are worth! "

Bringing it to a DC dealer or selling it yourself will yield much better results than bringing to a Honda dealer...
    I found this post on a Chrysler Club site.

Seems like the same kind of message 2005 owners are giving out here. Nothing to write about. the 2005's work just like they should.

2005 SXT Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had the 2005 GC SXT with Stow-n- Go for eight months now

Nothing to post about- I'm bored...

14K so far, Had the oil changed as needed, rotated the tires, the headlights are actually useful (had a '96). Only wish that I sprung for the infinity stereo.
    Can the stow and go 3rd row seats be easily removed? I didn't know that...
    Can the stow and go 3rd row seats be easily removed? I didn't know that

Why would you have too? What would be the reason to remove it with Stow-n-Go?
    I can see why some Ody owners never have to remove their seats, they are using roof boxes. If this guy needed more room, there is gobs behind the third seat and just about as much in the two wells under the second row seats of the Dodge/Chryslers. Or he could just stow the third row seat and have all kinds of room with that and the wells under the second row seats. There would be no need to take any seats out.(Or use roof boxes) Although that would still be an option if ever needed.
    Why would you have too? What would be the reason to remove it with Stow-n-Go? "

The link that you provided was about an Ody owner who wanted to remove the 3rd row seats so he had the well space for a trip, without having to use a roof box. He could fold his 3rd row seats if he wanted, but wanted the space, but not the seats. That's why, when you titled it "Should anyone tell them about Stow-n-go?", I thought that you meant the seats were removable in the DC vans. :confuse:
    The link that you provided was about an Ody owner who wanted to remove the 3rd row seats so he had the well space for a trip, without having to use a roof box. He could fold his 3rd row seats if he wanted, but wanted the space, but not the seats.

With Stow-N-Go he has the space and can have the seats too, if wanted. There is about 3/4 of the room under the second row seats that there is in the well behind the third row seats. He would have all the storage he wanted without taking out any seats. He could stow or not stow the third row seats.
    During the past year of owning my Ody, I have never had to remove the second row seats. The fold down 3rd row seat was fine even for transporting of my recent purchase of a fully assembly BBQ grill with side burner

It's obvious that there is a number of Honda people that don't have enough room and are either taking their seats out, or putting up a roof box.

But for folks who are involved in heavy trade work activites or get their jollies scouting garage sales and flea markets, it may come in handy to pick more junk to add to their collection.

Believe it or not macakava, most of the owners of 2005 Dodge/Chrysler vans didn't buy them for work or going around to flea markets to pick up more junk. They had enough sense to see the advantage of Stow-n-Go for carrying families and the things families take with them. The advantage of going on vacation and having all the room they need to carry the stuff they need. The advantage of unexpectedly finding something at the store or at a flea market and being able to take it home with them now.

Now you and some other Honda/Toyota owners might have the money to waste always buying new, or having things delivered, or paying thousands of dollars more for a van that you think gives you that status you think you get by buying only Japanese vehicles. But Chrysler owners are a little more frugal with our money. We look for value and want a van that does everything we want it to do. It's things like that that allows me and the wife to take a 19 day trip to Ireland, England and Scotland in Oct. If you send me your address, I would be more than happy to send you a card from there.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Honda's now use timing chains that are good much longer than the timing belts; just like the Dodge. I believe your neighbor was mistaken, unless he/she drives a late-model Ody.

I like this lively conversation, if we can just keep it from getting personal. I am in no way trying to make anyone feel bad or threatened, and doubt I am, when I make comments about these vehicles(although most of you are Type-A people from what I can see, and also enjoy a debate). keep up the good work, as I am glad to hear that Chrysler may finally be getting their act together as far as reliability goes. Is it just me, or does the conversation tend to be repeating every few days???
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    May I ask who thinks ANY minivan is purchased as a status symbol? Regardless of brand, I am afraid that none of these cars will have passers-by green with envy because of that 'fancy automobile'. Maybe when Mercedes releases the R-Class wagon/vanlet/SUV thing can one feel uppity with their passenger hauler. I feel that I can say this comment since I drive a van about half of my miles on the road. Life goes on...
    Honda's now use timing chains that are good for the life of the car; just like the Dodge. I believe your neighbor was mistaken

She said she paid to have a timing belt put in. Not sure when Honda went to a chain. I think her car is about 5-6 years old, but not sure. She is in New Jersey visiting her daughter now. I don't think our 2004 Civic has one, but I would have to wait till the boss comes home to check the owners manual.

Glad your enjoying the debate. It can get lively at times but there is no hard feelings on my part with anyone. It just feels good to be able to say things about my Dodge that that is true, that a lot of previous Dodge/Chrysler people couldn't say about their's, some years ago. It really does look like Chrysler has their act together finally. Just seems like no one is complaining about the 2005. Very little about the 2004 either. As a matter of fact, it seems like many of the complaints really slacked off after the 2001's.

I can't say I don't get a lot of satisfaction in proving to some Honda owners, that the van they have, isn't the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel. And I know it's killing some not to see a bunch of Dodge/Chrysler owners complain about their 2005's
  • macakavamacakava Posts: 775
    No need to Marine2.

From my frequent business travels over the past 20 years which includes trips to Europe and the Far East, I have accumulated so much frequent flyer miles, hotel and car rental points that I have been able to take my family of 5 on free vacations(flights, hotels and car covered) about twice a year to locations like Hawaii and the exotic Far East.

I still have another 750,000 +miles left, 5 free tickets with Southwest, and free hotel stays that I have to use up. These 5 SW ticket will take us to Las Vegas soon and I guess that we can plan to go aboard afterwards. What a life!
    Glad to hear you were able to get so many frequent flier miles from your business Mac. My job didn't allow me to do that. But I will be driving my brand new DGC up to Vegas next year. It's only about 5 hours from Phoenix. Us poor folks just have to make do with what we have.
  • macakavamacakava Posts: 775
    If you have the time and I believe that you do as you may be retired, do the circle from Vegas to Reno/Tahoe to San Fran to LA and then back to Vegas.

I did that 8+ years ago. The Vegas to Reno will be the most barren desolate part of the trip - about 250+ miles of desert - so be prepared.
    I can't say I don't get a lot of satisfaction in proving to some Honda owners, that the van they have, isn't the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel. And I know it's killing some not to see a bunch of Dodge/Chrysler owners complain about their 2005's

You should check out other Honda boards....that's a load of fun!! Smugness is great to prick with a pin now and then!!! (well, it usually takes a large nail to burst some of these people).

Hey, I forgot something too.....DCX's 7year/70k mile warranty!!!! Lower price, less recalls and issues, less trips to dealer, better peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.