Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• macakavamacakava Posts: 775
    There is not an aftermarket reliable tranny fluid for Hondas that I have heard of. I have heard of some contraptions/mixtures but i would not trust them at all.

Beside the price differences is not that large. I bought genuine Honda dealer tranny oil at $3.96/qt. I believe that Dexron at the dealer would cost about $1 less - you may get it a bit cheaper at a parts store. The savings over 6 - 8 qts are not worth wirting home about. I believe that DGC owners should also use genuine Chrysler tranny oil as well given the past problems attributable to the oil(Dexron?) used.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Yes and more money for the dealer which will keep isellhondas employed. :)

I happened to notice at the local auto parts chain store that there is even special aftermarket brand "Honda Spec" power steering fluid while for virtually all others brands is a one fits all generic product.

Honda must use some special additive derived from glands located behind the front legs of the japanese beetle. :P
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    No isell...I don't guess. Though sometimes I may not entirely recollect correctly. :blush: I purchased CERTIFIED GM antifreeze(pink or maybe it was yellow? 60k or maybe 100k miles?) for my Buick hot rod for $28 a gallon...thinking as you have stated....why not spend a few more bucks for the good stuff. Saw pretty much the same thing at Target for $7. Why spend $10 on Bayer aspirin when you can get Walgreens or generic for half that. It is the exact same thing.
    Don;'t see how using fluid that says "meets Honda specs" could be taking a chance.

You work at a dealership...you know how much they mark all that stuff up.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,691
    I have nothing to do with our parts dept.

Use whatever you want. I'll spend a few extra dollars.

If you were buying a used car would you want one I've fussed over or one the previous owner always tried to save a buck on?

For crying out loud...how often do you buy ATF or power steering fluid anyway?

And, yeah, you did guess. You assumed the price differential between GM antifreeze and Honda antifreeze is the same.

" Pretty much the same thing" ? I rest my case.
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    I agree with Isell, how often do you have to change tranny fluid? The owner's manual for our 2004 Civic, says use only Honda fluid. Learn something from previous Chrysler owners, put in what the manual calls for and quit trying to save $10.00 bucks. Is the wrong fluid worth a $3,000.00 tranny job or doing without your van for days while it's being fixed??
    I purchased CERTIFIED GM antifreeze(pink or maybe it was yellow? 60k or maybe 100k miles?) for my Buick hot rod for $28 a gallon...thinking as you have stated....why not spend a few more bucks for the good stuff. Saw pretty much the same thing at Target for $7. Why spend $10 on Bayer aspirin when you can get Walgreens or generic for half that. It is the exact same thing.
    Don;'t see how using fluid that says "meets Honda specs" could be taking a chance.

Looking over the Civic's owner's manual, I see we don't have to change the antifreeze for over 100,000 miles. It says once again only use Honda antifreeze. Now I'm sure I could buy antifreeze that is compatible with Honda's but would it last 1000,000 miles? Would I be saving in the long run?

I'm taking no chances with the fluid I put in my tranny. I'll pay the Chrysler dealers a few bucks extra to do it, than what these tranny shops charge. But I'll know they used Chrysler fluid and filters like the owner's manuals stresses to put in the trannies. I can afford to fix it, but that's not what I want to spend my money on.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    that maybe, just maybe, Honda's tranny fluid is superior to Dodge's!!!!! But I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the electrical connectors used by Honda are inferior to what's used on DCXs. When you have electrical gremlins, don't come running to me :)

iselltycoconnectors
    Because Hondas don't have electrical problems. If you want electrical problems, buy a european car!
    Agreed.

BMWs, M-Bs, Jaguars are notorius for electrical problems.

At one time, it was "if it rains, it won't start or it would stall"
    Hmmmm really???? I deal with the supplier of Clusters and HVAC modules to Honda and know of a few issues on the new Ridgeline and Oddys. There's a problem with the driver LCD display due to a Iriso connector. The displays are tending to blank out due to vibration. Not good. DCX had same problem on last gen Minivans (96-00).

The European mfg you want to avoid is Jag, for electrical problems!!!!!!!!! BMW and DCX lead with electrical integration of their vehicles. Ever hear of MOST? - a fiberoptic network first used on 7 series BMWs, now 5s, X3s and 3s. Very impressive when you realize the reduction in wiring, crimps and terminals, and the huge increase in performance.
    Any repairs or modifications that saturday mechanics would like to do would be almost impossible with fiberoptics vs hard wiring. Special tools/equipment needed.
    Perfect application for Stow N Go today!!! I was at lunch with coworker and she noted I had my Minivan instead of my company car. She's been looking at patio sets at Home Depot, had just broken up with bf who has truck, but now couldn't pick one up. I drove her to Home Depot str8 from restaurant, we flipped the seats flat and everything fit. If I had a Honda, I would have first needed to drive home, lift heavy seats out, put em someplace, drove back, and repeated steps!! Probably saved an hour of time here!

Not Shabby!!
    Denny,

Now that she has broken up with bf, I guess that you could find other "liesure opportunities" with her using Sto & Go!

Marine has some good suggestions... :)
    You're totally wrong, tools/equipment are not anymore, possibly even easier, than typical crimping tools for wire to use!!! We have a tool that strips, and cuts the POF (plastic optical fiber) so professionally, even polishing isn't required. The cutting tool rotates after each and every cut to insure smooth ends. I would say a backyard mechanic will be able to handle POF as easy as wire, and I see in the future where you run to Radio Shack to pick up a $5 tool, some ferrules and POF! We currently sell the tools for about $300.

And consider this......most radio/cluster/climate modules have anywhere from 26-50 wires/terminals. Have you ever reworked a wiring harness????

When you think of all the electronics being put in automobiles....DVDs, Computers, Nav, realtime traffic, gameboxes, backup cameras, blindspot detection, cruise with distance control, then think of the speed of what these items operate at....wiring will be history for many systems.
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    Looks like someone got schooled. If you had a Honda you coulda said hey that won't fit in my car LOL. Can you tell me how big the table was?? My wife took a crib down to Sandiego this weekend and all we had to do was drop the MAGIC SEAT. I know it better to have a clone and not the original. Hope she finds more stuff for you to haul. BTW are you married one girl telling me what to do is enough!!!
    Now that she has broken up with bf, I guess that you could find other "liesure opportunities" with her using Sto & Go!

No way!!! She carries a gun and currently hates all men!!! NO THANKS!!!
    Looks like someone got schooled. If you had a Honda you coulda said hey that won't fit in my car LOL. Can you tell me how big the table was?? My wife took a crib down to Sandiego this weekend and all we had to do was drop the MAGIC SEAT. I know it better to have a clone and not the original. Hope she finds more stuff for you to haul. BTW are you married one girl telling me what to do is enough!!!

Guys, my wife would probably borrow coworker's gun and use it on me!!!!

The table was rectangular....4' x 7', with 6 chairs, umbrella and base. Very nice set....$500 and made in China of course!!
    Did it change shapes?......nevermind....

A few years ago I actually sold a pickup we owned as an "extra" car. Neighbors and friends kept asking to borrow it. Worse, they usually wanted me along to help unload heavy furniture, rocks etc.

Finally enough was enough.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    "at lunch with coworker and she..."

Taking female co-workers to lunch? Going out of your way to run errands for female co-worker on company time? You gonna need that stow-n-go when your
    wife kicks you out and you need somewhere to keep all your junk. ;)
    When your wife kicks you out and you need somewhere to keep all your junk

Amen brother!! I'll tell ya I'm a FSE and had caravans for 10 years as company cars. The one thing I hated was taking out the seats to get a part from the airport and then having to put them in when all my friends wanted to go to Vegas, camping, etc. Heck I used the second row as a love seat when I was 20 for about 2 years. If I was to buy another van for work I'd get the GC SE with stow and go. After 5 years at my job and 100,000 miles it dosen't matter what brand it was when it started. But for now my subie wagon fits the bill quite nicely. :P
    I still don't think many backyard mechanics would be capable or have/buy the tools to do fiber repairs. Hardwiring is much simpler and does not require any special tools.

Back in the 1980's I used to work with mainframe computers which had several PCB backpanels each with over 10,000 wire wrap terminal connections. Troubleshooting was a severe challenge with 6 of these backpanels with over 60,000 wired connections!
    Idon't do wires and I don't do windows.
    I still don't think many backyard mechanics would be capable or have/buy the tools to do fiber repairs. Hardwiring is much simpler and does not require any special tools.

I'm talking a tool that's actually easier to use then terminal crimpers. Now if you're talking about a guy using a pocket knife to strip insulation and crimping terminals with a pair of pliers....no. But if you're using hand crimper/stripper....MOST is way easier!
    Well I worked on tools that have lots of wiring harnesses and never had a problem rebuilding them. A few year ago one of our ion implanters went to fiber optics with a standard interface at each controller/power supply. This was great since the tool has a voltage potential of 250KeV. If you double ionize the atom your implanting it gives it twice the potential. Well it was daisey chained and when some unsuspecting fool would bend the fiber and I'd lose com from there down the line. I couldn't repair it so I had to order the right length and wait. Now POF seems fine but like other fiber optics its probably got its limitations. Let me think maximum bend, max transmission speed/max lenght(because it plastic probably not as good as standard fiber) and plastic(what the melting point of this stuff 100C maybe) Hey I love change but let someone else do the grunt work and after all the bugs are out move in for the kill.
    Agreed.

That was what Iwas tryin to say - Saturday mechanics are not ready for fiber work/repairs at this time.
    They're long term testing the new Oddy, so-so gas mileage and power sliding door issues. Just FYI
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Sorry to burst isell's bubble but my friend just dumped his 2002 Honda Accord to get a new Toyota Camry after having many problems recently with 55,000 miles on the odometer...nowhere near the 150,000 - 250,000 miles that many Honda lovers would like us to believe.
    I have read of far more problems with the Honda Odyssey in the Town Hall than problems with any other minivan made within the past 6 years. :sick:
    I had planned to get a NEW Honda Odyssey after reading the glowing reviews for so many years but the numerous problems including the many reports of transmission problems has cooled off my interest in purchasing an Odyssey.
    Fear not and do not let these past issues deny you the joys of a superior perfoming/handling vehicle.

Tranny problems have been addressed to 2004 Odys built to Dec 2003 and first year 2005 bugs would be addressed by now or for 2006 models. If it would give you better peace of mind, wait till mid 2006 to get your Ody.
    If it would give you better peace of mind, wait till mid 2006 to get your Ody.

I'm soooo confused here!!!!!! Aren't all Hondas far superior to ANYTHING on the road???

Then I check all the Oddy sites and there's tons of problems...too numerous to list any more!!!! I posted on the DCX looking for people with issues on the DCX Minivans....none so far. None even close to Oddy issues like doors that don't open, or won't close once open, or poor design of condensor location (was this Honda's firs automobile??), radio reception, brakes.....Sorry, I'm listing them but my fingers are getting tired from all the typing.
    It is called the growth curve of any new product or model - a known entity in the manufacturing industry. Simply called, "growing pains". No one is immune to it.

Having been in the engineering/manufacturing/quality industry for almost 30 yrs, it is something that is difficult/impossible to avoid, especially in any first year model.
This discussion has been closed.