Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• Just because they cost alot doesn't mean they are well made. There are lots of expensive cars (Jaguars, MBs, BMWs, etc.) that have terrible reliabilty

What kind of Toyota was the one that had problems? What kind problems.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 491
    transmission problem with the 1996 Toyota Previa
  • crkeehncrkeehn Posts: 513
    You can't blame me for the extended warranty. I have not badmouthed the Odyssey. In fact, my most recent comparison study revealed that Odysseys left outside in Maryland are wet right now. That is also true of DC vans, the Sienna, the Sedona and of course the PT Cruisers. I other words, the Odyssey is performing no better or no worse in that respect than the competitors.

Gee I hope my PT doesn't shrink, I wouldn't want it any smaller.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,993
    Japanese industry was supposedly revived post-war with the help of the Deming Management Philosophy (sometimes called Total Quality Management nowadays). Straight out of the USofA.

Some say the Japanese learned TQM better than the teachers. Doesn't explain the past 20 years of a less than stellar Japanese economy. Deflation, anyone?

Interesting stuff, but let's try to keep it related to the topic for the benefit of the comparison shoppers visiting here.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

But sometimes these "management" discussions turn into "foreign vs. domestic" flame wars. That was just my warning shot across the bow before someone decided to head down that street.

Carry on :-)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• andrewtran71andrewtran71 Posts: 840
    Most people with "enough" money will buy something other than from the "Big 3"--I mean if money is no object.
    And as far as reliability goes, the records will speak for itself. Toyota and Honda consistantly make among the most reliable cars.
    Yeah, Honor and Pride is a big thing to Japanese.
    They do good for the honor and pride of their country and people, unlike most of us here who are lazy as heck and would rather just sit on our butts and collect money from the government.
    If we had the Japanese philosophy here in this country, our Great country would be even greater.
    Thank goodness to the good hard working people, like the ones on Edmunds:-) We keep this country great. We have honor and pride. But it's the rest of the lazy people that make the "Big 3" crapy.
  • lfikelfike Posts: 38
    tomtomtom,
    Our good buddy Andrewtran would never...I mean never show disrespect for another person here...he may not agree with you and your ideas, but, he would never show you as a person disrespect. I think Andrew just doesn't like Chrysler, Ford or Chevy. There's nothing wrong with disliking a car manufacturer. I don't care for Korean auto companies....I think they offer a great warranty....but I also think they make a cheap car (just my opinion here). That doesn't mean I disrespect a person that drives a Kia or whatever.
    My mom always said that you should love everyone....if you want to hate anything...it's ok to hate their ways.
    Townha11
    I thought your post above was very good and gets more to the problem of certain car companies and their ideas.
  • uga91uga91 Metro AtlantaPosts: 1,065
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-06-30-minivans_x.htm

I can not believe no one has noticed this info from a couple of days ago. I for one do not like the fold flat seat. I would never use it. I have 3 kids so I use my rear bench each and every day. I love my split folding/removable bench as it increases stroage for trips while still providing enough seating for all 5 of us. A fold flat rear bench is a reason why I would not buy a van. I guess Honda has fooled enough people into thinking it is a good feature, though.
  • bdaddybdaddy Posts: 171
    Never say never.

DC is even looking at 2 rows of fold flat seats for its MVs in 2007. If you can wait that long, maybe you'll have 4 kids as a result!
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,742
    I think nobody noticed the article because DC says it's a secret - SSSSHHHHHH!! LOL

The fold flat rear seat was one of the prime reasons why we chose the Ody. We don't have a garage and the seats in the other vans were all too heavy for my wife anyway. We have the seat up and down at least 2-3 times per week.

What I don't understand is that if you have a bench 3rd seat, why wouldn't the fold flat seat work for you? I know that you leave it in because of the 3 kids, but don't you have to remove it to haul something big? Wouldn't the convenience of folding it down be worthwhile?

I just hope that DC goes with a split design like the Sienna and what the next gen Odyssey will probably have.
  • andrewtran71andrewtran71 Posts: 840
    Thank you, Lewis.
    I will disagree with a lot of people, but never disrespect.

Yes, Tom, I would never disrespect anyone. Perhaps when I was younger and even more ignorant than now, I might never disrepected some people. But the older I get, the more I realize that I should never disrespect anyone.

I'll be completely honest. If Chrysler owned qualitly cars like Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura, I would prefer to buy Chrysler. I do. I would much rather buy an "American" name brand, and I think most of us would too.
    But the truth hurts sometimes.
    For some reasons, the "American" cars just don't stand up to the quality of Toyota or Honda.

If I'm paying $30K, I expect a reliable, high quality product, like the Odyssey.
    The D/C products have had such bad reliable records that even the KIA SEDONA ranks higher in Consumer Reports in terms of reliability than D/C.
    No more kids for us. Unless Divine Intervention steps in, of course!

As far as hauling something big--I just don't have the need. I have removed both rows one time (about 16 months ago) to haul a breakfast room table--that's it. I removed the rear bench one other time to haul a chair. Maybe I'm wierd, but I don't haul many things that require the removal of the bench. So, no, if the folding bench is a one piece bench, the convenience would not be worth it to me. A split folding bench? Sure. But, what are the chances that Chrysler will do that?
    Pay attention, don't let Andrew get you side-tracked on NAV in here :-)

steve_ Jul 1, 2003 2:55am

I don't think fold flat seats have to be uncomfortable by definition, but I'm not going to have to be the one sitting back there either. Nissan is getting a fold flat second and third row, so it'll be interesting to see real world reactions to them. None will split, afaik.

Steve, Host

• fezofezo Posts: 9,328
    You'd be amazed how often you'd find your self using that if you had it.

I've got 4 kids so if we're going somehere as a family the seats are up, but a big store trip, Homoe Depot, etc that flip seat is great.

Of course the other thing is when the seat is up it creates a nice deep well - lots of storage room withthe seat up!
  • larryintnlarryintn Posts: 103
    The reason we did not want a fold flat seat was road noise. The well tends to increase road noise which made our 2002 GC one of the quietest in the group we considered.

Everyone has different priorities.
    "Most people with "enough" money will buy something other than from the "Big 3"--I mean if money is no object. "

I don't know the meaning of "enough" money but according to Mr. Andrew, most people who bought a car from the "Big 3" must be poor...
    If it is a solid seat, it is not something that appeals to me. I like my split folding/split removeable bench. If the fold flat seat is split folding, then I'd be in business.
    I think some people do prefer the styling of the DC Van over the Ody. Or features that DC Vans have and the Ody don't.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,742
    Absolutely true. Personally I like the wedge shape of the Ody over the rounder style of the DC and Honda's Magic Seat. I did like the DC's more quiet interior and the tri zone HVAC as well as the DC red. I appreciated my Honda experiences and the greater exclusivity of the Ody at the time.

In the end - it's what appeals to you.
    I like the way the Odyssey looks. My wife does not. We have a Chrysler. That's the way it goes around here, I guess.
This discussion has been closed.