Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    >>>7% would mean dead vans all over the road<<<

Not really. The Honda Odyssey has far less sales penetration than the Chrysler mini-vans, with Chrysler versions selling at about three-to-one. If you believe that all Chrysler mini-van transmissions are destined to failure (are you seeing dead Chrysler versions all over the road?) then 9% Honda Odyssey transmission failures, or less, is not outside the realm of possibility.

No, I don't have a link since my belief is based on combined information that you wouldn't find on the web. If you consider a 9% failure rate -- that's 90 units per thousand on the road -- per year, that really would not generate much attention. Don't forget, the national average is roughly 4.6%.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    It may not be as high as 7-9 %failure rate. For example, my Odyssey was in the Honda dealers for 21 days. The first 2 rebuilt transmissions were so poor quality they had to get # 3 before they got a good one. So I used up 3 transmissions with out leaving the Honda dealers.
     The transmissions they install are "rebuilt" by a 3rd party. So you get a non-Honda transmission to replace a bad Honda transmission.
     My rebuilt transmission had a 1 year 12 K mile warranty. That was at 68 K miles and before Honda included 99's in the 00, 01 and 02 100K warranty. I told Honda all they had to do was get me 2 blocks down the street to the Toyota dealer.
     BTW It was a good thing I kept my radio code. They had disconnected the battery and left the radio dead . They told me to punch in the code when I got home.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Although my 1970 Dodge van was the worst vehicle I have ever owned.
         I have been comparing one son's 2001 Ody EX he bought new with another son's 2002 GC Sport he got as a used vehicle with 13k miles for about half the cost. The GC Sport is much quieter, smoother riding, and has many nice features that the Odyssey does not have. The GC Sport also gets better gas mileage than the Ody EX.
         The Ody EX has more comfortable seats, the 2nd row seats slide forward and back, and the 3rd row seat folds into the floor. BUT, the GC Sport has separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger, overhead console with compass/temperature and an accurate Trip Computer, lighted controls on the doors, heating coils at base of windshield.
          My 2002 T&C is almost identical in features to my son's 2002 GC Sport but I got the 7 year 100,000 mile "Powertrain Pledge Limited Warranty" that covers the powertrain and the DaimlerChrysler "Added Care" for 7 years and 75,000 mile warranty that covers almost everything else with a $100 deductible.
         Both warranties were transferred for a total cost of $150 since the original owner got the DaimlerChrysler "Added Care". Otherwise, only 6 months and 9,000 miles of the 3 year and 36000 mile warranty would be all that I would have had.
         I would NEVER buy a used Odyssey since they don't cost much less than a new one. However, the high initial depreciation rate of DC minivans make them the BEST BUY.
  • s15as15a Posts: 14
    Excuse me bluetrainstop, but the 2004 Honda Odyssey does have recalls ans TSBs. I just checked:

2004 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

2 Recall Notice(s) for your vehicle
    11 TSB Report(s) for your vehicle

We are in the market to buy a van, trying to decided between the 2005 DCaravan, 2005 Odyssey(coming soon next month?), and the 2004 Sienna

Any advice is appreciated.
    And now the 2002 Chrysler T&C will be replaced by a 2005 Odyssey EX as soon as the buying frenzy cools off.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Why did you just recently buy your used T & C and now are planning on replacing it and getting an Odyssey only a short time later? You must like to change vehicles often, in which case most anything will be reliable for the first 0-5 years of service.
    Good question. I just recently sold the 1994 Toyota Corolla Stationwagon and bought the 2002 Chrysler T&C. Still have the 1993 Ford F-150 XTD Cab LWB 4WD and the 2001 Blazer LT 4WD. I just happen to really like everything about the new 2005 Odyssey EX (styling and features) but got a very good deal on this nice T&C.
         Traded 1964 VW Beetle for a 1970 Dodge van when we had our 2nd child and needed more room (and a heater). Traded 1970 Dodge for a 1976 VW Bus and the 1976 VW Bus for a 1980 Chevy van when each of them became too expensive to maintain. Kept the Chevy van until traded it in 1999 on a Chevy Tracker when the Chevy van also became too expensive to keep. Traded the Tracker on th Blazer when it became obvious the Suzuki built Tracker was a lemon.
         I am NOT in a hurry to sell the T&C and get the 2005 Ody. Who knows, this T&C may be so reliable I will keep it for many years especially if Honda dealers become as greedy as they did in 1999.
    Uncomfortable driver's seat in the 2002 Chrysler T&C LX that has no lower back support.
  • helperhelper Posts: 1
    i couldnt agree more. the dodge grand caravan with the 3.8L V6 is almost inaudible on the road, while with the honda you literally have to raise your voice to speak to passengers to get over the road and wind noise at speeds over 45mph...but i am not suprised because i had the same problem with my sienna. oh well...go DODGE!
  • gjjewgjjew Posts: 1
    tomtomtom:

I just checked and called Crutchfield about the bezel and was advised that they did not have any?
    What was the item# you purchased?

Thanks,
    George
  • brihambriham Posts: 33
    Here are a few links that might help a bit. The first is a review of the Odyssey and the second has informaiton on selecting the right tow vehicle. It is general guide on selecting a tow vehicle versus info on the Honda or Chrysler specifically.

Honda Odyssey Review: http://www.automedia.com/autoReviews/honda/odyssey/rts20041101ho.- - asp?affid=

Selecting the right tow vehicle: http://www.automedia.com/driveSmart/ccr20040801tv/ccr20040801tv.a- - sp?affid=
    IF I had known I could buy a NEW 2005 Odyssey EX for $25,409 on November 30, the 2002 Chrysler T&C LX would have not been purchased in August.
         My nephew purchased a NEW 2005 Odyssey EX for $25,409 + $199 Doc Fee + sales tax on November 30. The MSRP of 2005 Ody EX is $28,510 and Edmunds lists the TMV as $28,510.
         I like my 2002 T&C LX that has many nice features but would have purchased the 3 model year newer Odyssey for only $11,259 more than I paid.
  • The 05 Honda Odyssey is rated to tow 3500 lbs with an equalizing hitch and a oil cooler (dealer installed?). The 2005 Dodge/ Chrysler minivans are rated to tow 3800 lbs with a factory installed towing package, which includes, 600 amp maintenance free battery, engine oil cooler, heavy duty transmission oil cooler, load leveling and height control, heavy duty radiator and trailer tow wiring harness.
    I would NOT tow a trailer with any minivan even though manufacturers have rated towing capacities of 3500 or 3800 lbs.
         The engine compartments are too crowded in FWD vehicles for sufficient cooling that is provided by the space inside an engine compartment of a full size pickup or SUV. I feel that the smaller V6 engines and transmissions are working too hard while the larger V8 engines and larger, heavier duty transmissions and radiators of the full size pickup and SUV have the necessary strength for towing.
  • After months of research and etst drives my wife and I had our hand forced by the imminent demise of her car. So we decided to lease a 2005 Dodge GC SXT. Now there was no doubt the '05 Ody is a far better vehicle dynamically but now that I've had a week with teh DGC I'm not sure that the Ody is a better family vehicle. After all, that's what a minivan is.

The Honda (and Toyota) vans simply could not be equipped with what we wanted and still remain in our price range. The Dodge came exactly as we wanted and was much less money. So while it's only a lease and I won;t be able to report on reliability long term, I have to say I am impressed with the DGC so far and have not regretted our decision to go domestic.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,362
    Did you already do this? Because of lousy resale values these have a low residual which adds up to HIGH lease payments!
  • Yes. But when Daimler-Chrysler is offering a subsidized lease and giving $3500 off the van, which I got for $700 below invoice anyway, it adds up to a easy payment. My other car is a 2003 Accord so I know all about Honda quality and resale. I think I can live 2 years with a DGC and be happy with it. We priced the Ody and the lease payments were substantially higher.

Isellhondas, what was really frustrating in the Odyssey & Sienna was that we couldn't get the feature we wanted (power tailgate) on a vehicle with a cloth interior and without all other kinds of doo-dads we don't need. I didn't want to pay $35K for a Ody Touring or $32K for a Sienna XLE. With the Dodge I could get everything I wanted and nothing I didn't want. I am not worried about long-term reliability. The Dodge was an easy winner for us in this situation. However if I were buying instead of leasing I'd be driving an Ody or Sienna.
  • We have the same issue.

My wife and I have researched and test driven vans for a couple months and we are down to the Ody vs. a 2005 T&C.

Best we could do off an Ody Ex-L with DVD/Navi is 1300 below MSRP and a discount on accessories. We put down a refundable deposit but the van isn't even scheduled to be built until tomorrow.

On the high-end T&C Ltd, we could start negotiations at 1% less than invoice because we are part of the affiliates program. From there I got it down to 30500 with some additional free accessories. That's $8K below MSRP. And the van can be swapped within a week. Plus, it comes with power rear liftgate and other features the Ody doesn't. But it doesn't have stability control, which bothers me.

Now, we are not in a hurry so waiting isn't a big deal except the local sales tax rate goes up Jan. 1.

I have always bough foreign cars (owned a Honda. Toyota and Nissan) and feel comfortable with the reliability and resale. But when the deal is that different for the two vans, what can we do? I am still torn and have to make a decision soon.
    BUY the van you personally like the best and enjoy driving the most. Very few vehicles can be considered a wise investment. When large discounts at purchase are weighed against possible resale value the total cost is not much different.
         I would have purchased a new 2005 Odyssey if I could have purchased one in August with a $3000 discount that my nephew claims he got on November 30. However, my lowly 2002 Chrysler T&C LX has some features I like that are not on the 2005 Odyssey EX even though the Odyssey has more comfortable seats and more cargo space than my T&C.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Well, if one has an unlimited budget, maybe they should get the one they like best and and enjoy driving, but for most people, money out of pocket is important, otherwise I would have a Corvette convertible just to drive in the summer!

Remember, money not spent does not depreciate, and it appears we are talking maybe a $7K-$8K price differential favoring the DGC over the ODY.

So while the Ody may indeed not depreciate as fast, in this denver5357's choice, he still is out this extra $7K-$8K immediately. And, since even the added increase in sales tax is important to denver5357 by waiting for the ODY, this buyer appears interested in keeping his costs down.

In my opinion, $7k-$8k that is still some serious money. The $8K you don't spend if saved can go a long ways toward your next vehicle purchase, or maybe something more important, like a retirement account!

The DGC vans in most respects will do anything one could ask for in a family hauler, quietly, smoothly and with decent handling.
This discussion has been closed.