Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    denver,the rating was for the 2005 Ody.Reported in this months C&D.They did not mention any of the other vehicles( I guess it wasn't a full size comparison test). They just kept singing the praises of the 2005 Ody. "the latest Odyseey is just about the only vehicle of its kind that we regard as rewarding to drive." By saying "rewarding to drive"...are they unconsciously implying they were paid off? :-)
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,356
    Sounds like the new Odyssey is a crowd pleaser!

Payoffs? Ah...don't think so! Sorry...
  • macakavamacakava Posts: 775
    I guess that there was no need to.

C & D June 2004 minivan comparo results:

1.) 2004 Ody(NOT 2005)

2.) 2004 Sienna

3.) 2004 Quest

4.) 2004 DGC SXT

5.) 2004 Freestar

The 2005 Ody would have increase its winning lead further.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    "rewarding to drive" = paid off?

EXCELLENT interpretation.
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    Dodge/Honda 2003 compared by C.R. Last year to have data on.

Dodge got 12 Excellents and two above average in 14 different categories.

Honda got 13 Excellents and one above average. I wouldn't call that WAY superior.
    C R 2005 Buying guide

Reliability Verdicts

Ody: 1999 rated -(Average)

Ody: 2000 - 2004 rated _/(Above Average)

DGC/T & C: 1999 rated -(Average)

DGC/T & C: 2000 - 2003 rated X (Below Average)

Let the numbers from a large sampling speak for themselves. It is information like this and others(such as C & D, Edmunds, etc) that one can use to make their buying decisions.
    Problem is CR is afraid to disclose the actual numbers and their written material is often contradictory to the test results. It would be very easy for CR to state the actual numbers of each vehicle they list. IF CR provided these numbers, people would be much better informed. As it is, the biased opinion of CR employees distorts the results.

I read of far more problems with the Odyssey transmissions than DC minivan transmissions here in the Town Hall by real people who own each. I am now afraid to buy a new Odyssey based on reading of the many problems reported in the Town Hall by people who have purchased an Odyssey. My nephew told me his new 2005 Ody EX has a "whistling noise" at speeds 35 MPH and faster.

Most of the complaints about DC are by former owners who may have had a valid complaint and were not satisfied by DC dealers. Most of these were people who wanted a Honda or Toyota minivan but found that neither provided a serious competitor to the Caravan/Voyager, Grand Caravan/Grand Voyager/Town & Country until the first Sienna appeared about 1997 and the current Odyssey appeared as a 1999 model.

Funny that none of the dozens of people I know who bought DC minivans have had any problems. Many are now repeat buyers based on complete satisfication with the Caravan/Voyager and later models from Chrysler which is now DaimlerChrysler.
  • dulnevdulnev Posts: 652
    I'm sorry, but can you please READ my post before you reply to it! I wasn't referring to reliability, but the "quality" ratings that CR assigns TO THE 2005 MODELS!
    Many of the problems that are stated are blown out of proportions by the relatively few affected.

The whistling noise problem is history - the fix is a simple one to the windshield cowl area. The transmission problem has been addressed by the recall - infact I would not be surprised if most of the owners affected were towing heavy trailers like a truck does and their vehicle was also not equipped with additional coolers for thr tranny, power steering, i.e. the trailer package.

One has to look at the bigger picture and certainly CR is a source of information as do Car & Driver, Edmunds, etc. I am sure that the numbers of owners CR received feedback from is far larger than the complainers we read in these forums and as such is a more statistically accurate report. Supplying that level of details/granularity of the actual numbers is not practical unless if it were for a PhD thesis and is not much interest to most readers.
    My nephew has not yet responded to my e-mails asking if the Honda dealer has yet eliminated the whistling noise in his new 2005 Odyssey EX purchased November 30, 2004.

I have sent him information gathered from the Town Hall stating the simple fix for the whistling noise and wonder why he has not responded.
  • C R 2005 Buying guide

Reliability Verdicts

Ody: 1999 rated -(Average)

Ody: 2000 - 2004 rated _/(Above Average)

DGC/T & C: 1999 rated -(Average)

DGC/T & C: 2000 - 2003 rated X (Below Average)

Let the numbers from a large sampling speak for themselves. It is information like this and others(such as C & D, Edmunds, etc) that one can use to make their buying decisions. <<

I just looked up on the Consumer Reports website (the most current data) and found some differing results than what you posted:
    Honda is average (not above average) for 02, DC is average for 03 & 04 (not below average)

I can also report that the '05 DC models have the check mark for recommended next to them as well.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,356
    Pick up the telephone and call him if you're that curious?
  • "I have sent him information gathered from the Town Hall stating the simple fix for the whistling noise and wonder why he has not responded."

Maybe the whistling noise is preventing him from hearing the ding that tells him he has mail? (tic)
  • "Many of the problems that are stated are blown out of proportions by the relatively few affected.

The whistling noise problem is history - the fix is a simple one to the windshield cowl area. The transmission problem has been addressed by the recall - infact I would not be surprised if most of the owners affected were towing heavy trailers like a truck does and their vehicle was also not equipped with additional coolers for thr tranny, power steering, i.e. the trailer package."

Hmmmmmmmmmm! Funny how one judges.
    ROFL. Great response.
    Hard to do without having the telephone number.
    I got a chance to see the 2005 Honda Odyssey today when taking in the wife's Civic for an oil change.

I must admit it is a very nice van. As vans go, I would say it's at the top of the heap as far as looks and has a lot of nice little extras that are not on my Dodge. Looks a lot more classy than my 05 Dodge G.C.too.

Comparing them is a lot like comparing a Caddy to a Buick. It seems like they are priced about the same as they compare a Buick to a Caddy.

While I liked the Odyssey a lot. I am not a bit sorry I bought the Dodge. With already having a car that is less than a year old, I am not interested in paying the thousands more to have a (Caddy)Especially with the features that I have on the Dodge G.C.

My big attraction to the Dodge was the stow and go seats and all the storage space. I never expected to get an AM radio, with both CD, cassette and six speakers with it too. The most I ever had in a car was four and either a cassette or CD. Then I find I have the radio controls on the steering wheel. Another feature I never had. Then the salesman points out the overhead console that not only gives me outside temp. and compass, but a computer that tells me how many MPG the van gets and how far I can go on a tank of gas. Heated outside mirrors, power drivers seat, three way A/C, power sliding doors and power rear hatch. Tire,low air warning light on the dash and power rear windows.

Later I discover Chrysler put a battery saver feature on the van so the battery won't go dead if I don't close the door tight and the over head lights stay on. It saved me from not being able to to pick up the wife two days after buying the van when the grand kids pushed them all on and I didn't notice it for awhile.

Like I say, I think the Honda looks a lot more classy. But with everything I have on this van, the smooth ride and the quietness it has, I feel like I have a Caddy, that I paid a Buick price for and got it with 0% financing. I am a very happy man.
  • I liked the T&C a lot, though I bought an Ody. And I am sure you will enjoy your van.

Thought this was interesting and relevant to this thread in particular ... I assume everyone has seen the new Money magazine (arrived at our home yesterday) where the 2005 Ody is selected as the best VALUE in minivans? I think that says something. True, the "reviews" are very shallow and quick. But the selection as best value is based on a number of factors that combine features/reliability/safety with cost. Our view of the T&C was it might be a better value than an Ody assuming the price was much lower (and it was when we negotiated). But Money seems to indicate otherwise, at least in a general sense (because face it, Money isn't going to have greatly detailed car reviews).
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,985
    Looks like Money said the same thing three months ago:

CNN Money

Steve, Host
    Great article on the new Odyssey in CNN Money and I am sure they are right. I am sure anyone who buys one will be very happy with it.

I will also be happy with what I bought and what I paid. As I said, the stow and go seating was really what I wanted for the way I wanted to use the van and all the goodies that came with it was like icing on the cake for me. If I tried getting many of them on a car, I would be paying many thousands more for them. And heck, it even rides like a car.
This discussion has been closed.