Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    You can even fish out of the back of it!

Well I might have stretched that part a little, although it's possible. Don't think I'd ever do it. We are planning to go to San Francisco this fall and probably will sleep in it one night. We're sort of excited about it. There is still a little teenager in us.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,347
    And I don't need the backache the next day.

Pick your neighborhood carefully before parking your van. I'm very serious.
  • macakavamacakava Posts: 775
    "We are planning to go to San Francisco this fall and probably will sleep in it one night. We're sort of excited about it. There is still a little teenager in us."

Marine2,

Don't forget to bring the all too familiar blue oval pill with you! :)
    Enjoy!
    We're thinking of doing it in one of the road side rest areas.

I do have a question for all of you though. In Sept. six in our family, (brother, cousin and wives) are going to take a 19 day trip to Ireland, England and Scotland. Is there a chance the battery will go dead in my van and the wife's car after sitting that long? If so, what's the best thing to do to keep it from happening?
    Hyundai and Kia have merged together. So Hyundai has the Sedona minivan from Kia. The new 2006 Sedona engine is probably from Hyundai.
    There are many unsold cars in dealer lots (especially GM , Ford, Chrysler) much, much older than 19 days and they do start OK then.
    I thought they had merged, but didn't want to say anything in case I was wrong.

I also heard Suzuki merged with Mazda I think?
    Susuki is in bed with GM in some manner/percentage.

Same with Mazda and Ford.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    Hyundai is getting version of Kia Minivan a year after launch of new Sedona....just FYI
  • daedae Posts: 143
    Well, brand love and arrogance is what made GM what it is today.

Ill conceived union contracts is what drove GM into pits.

Honda does not seem to rest on its laurels yet and it seems to retain some will to move around. Toyota is probably more prone to exploiting reputation and loyalty, but their process is just too damn good for that to be a big issue.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    I wish they were less protective of their investment in existing components and tooling though. I guess their financial position does not leave them much of a working room.

Like any business you have to pick and choose what to focus on....should I spend $1 million on HEMI tech and cylinder deactivation? or a new multivalve engine for a Minivan? I think Chrysler is gambling that most minivan buyer are not too technically literate and it's an appliance....it starts, has automatic tranny (who cares how many gears) and rides nice and quiet....oh, and price!

There are many engineers here in Detroit who would argue that high reving, multivalve engines are not superior to push rods, especially when you factor in high manufacturing cost. Ever notice how Japanese cars post all these high HP ratings...i.e..the Nissan with their 260hp V6s? Yet a str8 6 from BMW for example provides better performance with only 200 hp, and you're not screaming the engine to get it work. Look at GM's small block V8 in the new Vette.....400hp and 28 mpg, and 0-60 mph in 4.5 sec!!!!! The basic design is 50 years old!!!
    Yet a str8 6 from BMW for example provides better performance with only 200 hp

It is impressive indeed. I own a 325XiT manual and wife's 330Cic (auto.. oh, the shame) and for 184 and 225 hp, they are fast. But they are not pushrod, if that's what you implied.

This new Valvetronic is one cool solution.

But they seem to follow the same design as the better Honda 4bangers. Naturally aspirated, easy to rev. Prior to 330 I had a Prelude, and that thing was quite nice for a FWD.

it's an appliance

That is true. Still folks do buy Miele and Bosch, when GE and Kenmore also does the job. Just not as well.
    Hyundai and Kia have merged together.

Indeed. I completely missed that fact...

Kia Motors President Chung Ui-sun, the only son of Hyundai-Kia Automotive Group Chairman Chung Mong-koo

Don't you love the way they run business. :D
    Like any business you have to pick and choose what to focus on....should I spend $1 million on HEMI tech and cylinder deactivation? or a new multivalve engine for a Minivan?

Correct. When you only have so much money to work with, you pick what you think the public will be most interested in buying.

I think Chrysler is gambling that most minivan buyer are not too technically literate and it's an appliance....it starts, has automatic tranny (who cares how many gears) and rides nice and quiet....oh, and price!

I don't think they believed that at all. They knew they didn't have the money to come out with a new van, so they figured what can we put in our existing van that would make people want to buy a lot more of them. I don't think they felt that putting a high tech engine and transmission, into a vehicle that mostly women drive, was going to give them the sales volume they wanted. They needed something that appealed to both women and men. Thus, here is Stow-n-Go.

Come to think of it, you are right in a way. They knew a high tech engine and tranny wasn't going to win any women over. Not in a minivan.

There are many engineers here in Detroit who would argue that high reving, multivalve engines are not superior to push rods, especially when you factor in high manufacturing cost.

On this I agree.
    As figures seem to keep on showing. Chrysler minivans sold a all time high for the month of May. Not bad for having practically the same old body for years and years.
    The Ridgeline truck is best in its class as well even as a first year model.
    CR July 05 rated it above Tacoma, Frontier, Dakota, and Colorado.

Same for Honda Pilot in its own class.

Remarkable!!
    Oh! I forgot to mention CRV, Accord, Civic as also best in their own class.

The accollades/awards of each from various sources speak for themselves.

Now that's makes it even more remarkable!!
    It looks like a nice truck and I like the storage under the bed of the truck. I think the bed is going to be to small for a lot of truck buyers though.
    Did you see where Toyota is having a lot of problems with one of their gas/electric cars with frequent stalling? I forgot the model.
    It is the Prius model that everyone is so crazy about!
    www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2005-06-01-prius_x.htm

Here is an interesting article on hybrids and their extra cost payback,
    www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2005-05-31-hybrid-costs-usat_x.htm
This discussion has been closed.