Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• artgpoartgpo Posts: 483
    I was under the impression that curtain airbags are not available on the T & C with RES? The Odyssey is the only minivan with head curtain bags AND a roll over sensor.
  • fljoslinfljoslin Posts: 237
    I'm also not sure why you'd compare a EX-L with a T&C Ltd.

Because I think that it is reasonable to compare the EX-L's better design (engine, trans, suspension, tires, body shell, side windows) to the T&C Ltd's extra electrical do-dads.
    You cannot actually compare the two makes side by side because the Honda is better in these regards so you have to upgrade the T&C options to make a "reasonable" comparison on a cost basis. It is still not apples to apples, but it is closer.
  • You cant get the side curtain airbags with the sunroof not the RES in the 2005. The 2006 I am not sure.
  • aaron_taaron_t Posts: 301
    Seems like an Odd comparison. I would think most people shop based on features they want and determine the relative cost. I could be wrong. Here is what I can find for those "extra electrical do-dads" on a Limited vs. EXL.

Stereo upgrade over Touring model (which I read is already better than Honda's stereo)
    Power front passenger seat
    Memory driver seat
    Adjustable pedals
    Overhead storage bins
    Vehicle information center
    Removable front center console
    Backup sensors
    Fog lights
    rear automatic climate control
    Chrome wheels
    Electrolumenescent cluster
    Plus the driver knee airbag, rear vent windows, more torque at lower engine speeds, flashing hazards w/ sliding door opening

AFAIK, sunroof still deletes side air bags.
    There are some very desirable features available on that model. The new Kia Sedona is going to have many of them when it is introduced here in February.

I still wonder about the merit of all the electrical gadgets compared to having stability control and head curtain airbags.
    Seems like an Odd comparison. I would think most people shop based on features they want and determine the relative cost. I could be wrong. Here is what I can find for those "extra electrical do-dads" on a Limited vs. EXL.

Stereo upgrade over Touring model (which I read is already better than Honda's stereo) EX-L is good enough
    Power front passenger seat does not usually move
    Memory driver seat don't change drivers much
    Adjustable pedals maybe
    Overhead storage bins ?
    Vehicle information center speedo, tach
    Removable front center console fold down table
    Backup sensors maybe
    Fog lights have on my Intrepid never ever ever used
    rear automatic climate control prefer full manual
    Chrome wheels ?
    Electrolumenescent cluster cluster what
    Plus the driver knee airbag, rear vent windows, more torque at lower engine speeds, flashing hazards w/ sliding door opening

AFAIK, sunroof still deletes side air bags.

Odyssey EX-L (not Touring)
    faster acceleration
    faster stopping
    better handling
    better gas mileage
    more comfortable seats
    stability control
    sun roof with side air bags
    middle row roll down windows

It turns out that the Town and Country just does not have many of the features that I want at any cost, so true, a comparison is not reasonable.
  • Delete better gas mileage, more comfortable seats, and faster stopping. Lots of people complain about the Ody driver seat. The stopping is about the same from what I have read. And the gas mileage ... well we have been there before.
  • Honda and Odyssey badges
    Delete better gas mileage, more comfortable seats, and faster stopping. Lots of people complain about the Ody driver seat. The stopping is about the same from what I have read. And the gas mileage ... well we have been there before.
    I have a 2006 Odyssey EX-L. I get the mileage, love the drivers seat (I'm 6'4"), family loves the other seats. The brakes are awesome (I always want to make sure that there isn't a T&C behind me before I hit them).
  • (I always want to make sure that there isn't a T&C behind me before I hit them). Especially with the Marginal rear crash test results for the Odyssey
    How come none of us Odyssey owners have mentioned the 160 mph speedometer? Surely Honda put it there for a purpose? Tomorrow morning I will attempt to bury the needle heading south on IH-35E :P

I think both the DCX AND Honda folks can say how ridiculous a 160 mph speedometer is in a minivan. Maybe this was an answer to Bush's "NASCAR Dads" VS "Soccer Moms"? I am a NASCAR dad myself but 160 mph speedo in a minivan? Give me a break!
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    Surely Honda put it there for a purpose?

It's for racing on Off Ramps!!! :P
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    LOL...but isn't it for racing going up the ON ramps? :blush:
  • "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    -Winston Churchill
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    (I always want to make sure that there isn't a T&C behind me before I hit them). Especially with the Marginal rear crash test results for the Odyssey

And the poor for the DCX without lumbar support!! When will DCX provide a new van for IIHS to do side and offset testing??? 2001 isn't too good. Maybe its the fact the front side airbags are only for the head and not the side?
    Delete better gas mileage

Really every test shows the Honda better! Show me one that dosen't!

more comfortable seats,

Thats a person to person thing. I like the Ody MUCh MORE!!!

The stopping is about the same from what I have read.

Oh you must be getting dennisctc new magazine, he likes to find the best one for him and stick to it. I've seen everything from 5ft to 13ft. Thats quite a bit! Also the 70-0 is most likely even more!
    Oh you must be getting dennisctc new magazine, he likes to find the best one for him and stick to it. I've seen everything from 5ft to 13ft. Thats quite a bit! Also the 70-0 is most likely even more!

I've been VERY consistent, using data only from CR....not using the "best one". Unlike the other day, someone claiming a 7.6 sec run to 60 for Ody because "C&D tests their cars more aggressively".... Heck, I tested my van coming out of the Target parking lot and think I got 0-60 in 4.5 seconds!!! Of course I was driving very aggressively thru the parking lot trying to run down christmas shoppers :D
    Thats a person to person thing. I like the Ody MUCh MORE!!!

I like the Dodge MUCH MUCH MORE! The material used is of MUCH HIGHER Quality, and the mat'l is actually molded onto the foam cushioning instead of being a cover.
  • macakavamacakava Posts: 775
    "The brakes are awesome (I always want to make sure that there isn't a T&C behind me before I hit them)."

Wha you doin. Mon!?
    You wanna to make sure that the guy behind you is close enough to smell your (Ody) hot air?
    Now that's my style, Mon!! :0)
    Overhead storage bins - two rails running down the center of the roof w/ moving storage bins for things like CD's, movies, tissue, etc
    Vehicle information center - allows customization of electronic gizmos and displays trip/fuel econ info
    Removable front center console - two 12V outlets, locking storage
    Electrolumenescent cluster - easier to read, more contrast, pretty

I just listed what it had, not how valuable they are. The Limited does have side curtain airbags standard.
    Isn't the Odyssey's instrument panel the same thing? The Sienna has one as well.

The Odyssey Touring has the information center.

For me the removable 8th seat is worth more than roof rails or a moveable storage cubby. I took eight of us to Texas Motor Speedway back in November in the Odyssey. While it is not recommended for the long trips it worked out well.

I also like having a sunroof AND the side curtain airbags with rollover sensors. Remember, these are family haulers and as such should have every available safety innovation. CR says ESC is every bit as important as front airbags so buying a van without it is not even a worthy consideration. I think the DCX vans are the only ones on the market presently not offering ESC for 2006. Safety should not be an option. Some part of a the complete safety package is an option or not available on every minivan except the Odyssey.
    I have no idea what Honda uses for it's cluster. I could not find any info on the MFR site.

I don't have much value in side air bags. in the 2 yrs I will drive this minivan, I'm unlikely to use any airbags. It could happen, but the probability of having an accident that would benefit from them is very low. I don't have a sunroof either.

I work for a company that develops stability control systems. They are very effective, but not IMO as important as front air bags for FWD vehicles.

You value standard safety at any cost and I value everyday features at low cost. We both got the right vehicles.
    I agree with you. I like red, you might like green. Who is to say what is the right choice for each of us? I will debate the value and quality issue but not what you choose buy.

I remember shopping for a new van in October, 2002. My wife and I looked at the T&C EX. At that time it had everything the Honda offered plus some features and was attractively priced. The dealer had a boatload of 2002 models with another boatload of 2003s on the lot. After coming to my senses I remembered my expereice ten years earlier with a 1993 Dodge GC ( :lemon: )and opted to buy a Silhouette. We had looked at the 2003 Odyssey but my wife did care for it very much. Fast forward to October 2005. When we test drove the 2006 Odyssey after driving a 2005 Sienna XLE the search was over. Others say the Sienna is a better ride while still others prefer the DCX. Who is correct? Everyone.
    I don't have much value in side air bags. in the 2 yrs I will drive this minivan, I'm unlikely to use any airbags. It could happen, but the probability of having an accident that would benefit from them is very low. I don't have a sunroof either.

Well it is the second mostly deadly crash. The IIHS has quite a few tests that show it to be a very effective tool. Bad without and good with and thats the same car!!

I work for a company that develops stability control systems. They are very effective, but not IMO as important as front air bags for FWD vehicles.

They could make a huge differance! I wouldn't buy a car without them for my family!

You value standard safety at any cost and I value everyday features at low cost. We both got the right vehicles.

We're not talking big price differances here of course you get more with your wife working for DCX. Its really not much money if thats what you want! People spend lots of money on useless stuff everyday. These are the things that add up. I keep a car for a long time, except the 2001 Caravan(boy did that cost me!!) so if you get what you want knowing all the information. Thats whats the best thing!
    I just priced out a 2006 Sedona EX with power and luxury packages. The only available option I did not include was the RES. The USA invoice is $27,395 and MSRP of $29,665. This is for a van that has just about every option, sans RES and navigation. I'm talking leather, sunroof, three power doors, pedals, seat memory, head bags, ESC, rear park assist, 3.8 liter V-6, 5 speed Shiftronic. If the quality is as good as my wife's '05 Sportage the "Sedona VS Odyssey", "Sedona VS DCX", "Sedona VS Sienna" boards are going to be busy. Should CR rating this thing higher than the others, watch out. Remember, the Sedona LX will come in to compete with DCX but will have many more features for the same or lower price.
    I just priced out a 2006 Sedona EX with power and luxury packages. The only available option I did not include was the RES. The USA invoice is $27,395 and MSRP of $29,665. This is for a van that has just about every option, sans RES and navigation. I'm talking leather, sunroof, three power doors, pedals, seat memory, head bags, ESC, rear park assist, 3.8 liter V-6, 5 speed Shiftronic. If the quality is as good as my wife's '05 Sportage the "Sedona VS Odyssey", "Sedona VS DCX", "Sedona VS Sienna" boards are going to be busy. Should CR rating this thing higher than the others, watch out. Remember, the Sedona LX will come in to compete with DCX but will have many more features for the same or lower price.

On my way bsk from the USC UNC basketball game going thru Irvine(home of KIA NA)I saw one. It had the black fabric covering the rear and front but the roof rack looks like the pics in the future car. What was wierd as I came up to it a Ody went past it. It looked almost identicial in size shape! Still not sure if I coulda got past the KIA nameplate. They really made some cars that weren't very good.
    What you say is what many people think: Kia = junk. We looked and researched back in April when my wife was in the car market. We drove a brand new CR-V to the Kia dealer and compared the two side by side (as did the entire Kia sales force!). There was no comparing those two in our opinion. The Kia, while a bit shorter than the CRV, rode better, quieter and was much less money. The Sedona will be the same I predict. I was going to wait and buy a Sedona but the trade in value of my Silhouette was sinking like a rock. I went with the Odyssey because it was a proven thing. I really do think the new Sedona is going to set the minivan market upside down.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Easy to check. Just read the postings by the OWNERS of any particular minivan in that brand Problems Forum. ;)

Do NOT count postings in any Problems Forum made by a person who does NOT currently own the minivan you are researching. A person who got a :lemon: of any brand will be mad at that brand for decades.
  • kfdmedkfdmed Posts: 130
    The IIHS tests with side airbags have been with cars. I dont think you will see such a dramatic difference with vans. They ride higher. The T&C without side airbags and stability control is still a very safe vehicle. You shouldnt immply that if you dont have these safety features that it amounts to child/family abuse.
    The IIHS tests with side airbags have been with cars. I dont think you will see such a dramatic difference with vans.

They did with small/midsize SUVS! As for vans I'm not sure but I bet it makes a differance!

The T&C without side airbags and stability control is still a very safe vehicle.

You bet!

You shouldnt immply that if you dont have these safety features that it amounts to child/family abuse.

I was just saying from my perspective!! People always make risk vs reward choices every day!! One guy says VSC and sideairbags mean very little to him. So to him it doesn't matter! I hope you get what I'm saying!!
This discussion has been closed.