Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Those used Odysseys will SIT on the lot for a long time since they are NOT worth the $17,000-$18,000 asking price :sick: while your Olds Silhouette was worth the asking price. ;)
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    Let's not forget one very important feature on the Dodge/Chrysler that Honda doesn't have, unless they added it this year. The battery saver. I remember quite a few Honda owners were having dead batteries by leaving a overhead light on. They automatically go off on Chrysler vans after about 20 min.
    Would you buy a used GM from a Ford dealer? Or a used DCX from a GM dealer. I imagine all Hondas traded in on another Honda command a higher price than one at a DCX Ford or GM dealer. I know I would be suspicious of another makers car on a used car lot, maybe that last owner had enough problems to trade for another brand?

I know for a fact that some dealers will buy a fairly new competitor's car, van or truck and stick it up front on their lot to make it look like a owner got rid of it soon after buying it, so it makes it look like their product is so much better.
  • artgpoartgpo Posts: 483
    Let's not forget one very important feature on the Dodge/Chrysler that Honda doesn't have, unless they added it this year. The battery saver. I remember quite a few Honda owners were having dead batteries by leaving a overhead light on. They automatically go off on Chrysler vans after about 20 min.

I believe it is on the 2005+ Odyssey.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,880
    You know this for a "fact"?

Really?

Do you seriously think a dealer would invest money in a slow selling used car?
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    I believe it is on the 2005+ Odyssey.

It's not. Only if a door is left open will the lights turn out. If you manually push a light on and leave it, it stays on until battery drains. It's a shortcoming IMHO, but there are several things the Ody is missing that I'm used to. They weren't enough to keep me from buying one. If Honda hadn't left a couple obvious things off the Ody, I wouldn't have nothing to complain about and that wouldn't be any fun ;) The DC lacks in areas more important to me so the Ody was the winner.

And even if merging at safe speeds is childish racing, I'll plead guilty all day long.
    Rental companies would purchase the Odyssey instead of the DC minivans.
    The FACT that there are no Odysseys for rent indicates they COST more to own than do DC minivans. Rental companies exist to earn money and don't care what the label on the vehicle reads.

Car companies make a conscience decision to sell to rental fleets. I remember GM saying they would NOT put the new Malibu into rental fleets. Lo and behold, lots of them are now rentals. Having vehicles in rental fleets lowers their resale value. There is also a perception of disposable or cheap when a car is a rental.

The only place I have seen Siennas and some Odysseys is as NYC taxi cabs.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    If you buy CAR X w/80K miles for $8K, or only $4K for a similar CAR Y, BUT over the next few years of driving you put in more $$$ for repairs CAR Y, then you're a lot better off buying the higher quality CAR X. From 80-150K miles, which do you think will cost you less to repair, have less breakdowns in strange places, and have less trips to the shop? Not only might you save $$ overall because of repair costs, but what's the value in your own time just dealing with the repairs?
  • macakavamacakava Posts: 775
    "The only place I have seen Siennas and some Odysseys is as NYC taxi cabs."

As part of my close to 100 minivan rentals, I have rented Siennas at National/Alamo at Chicago ORD airport. Some of these had FL license plates - so I assume Alamo has them there as well.

I have seen Sienna and Ody taxis in Las Vegas.
    You know this for a "fact"?

Really?

Do you seriously think a dealer would invest money in a slow selling used car?

Yes, I know it for a fact. My cousin's wife works for a new car dealership and said that is exactly what they do.

Sure they would. They know they'll get rid of it and they certainly can afford it. Nice trick to make their cars/trucks/minivans look better than the competition.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    I missed this article, is there a link available?

I'd be interested to know what pricing they used for their comparison.....Did they use MSRP? or actual selling price. My bet would be MSRP since it's hard to gather selling price.

As they say.....figures don't lie but liars figure.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    But there are only 14 passenger vans sold in the US.

Honda
    DCX 2
    Ford 2
    GM 3
    Kia
    Toyota
    VW????

What am I missing???
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    What am I missing???

Ok we won't go there but here are the passenger vans sold in 2005.

Chevy-Astro/Uplander/Venture
    Chrysler-Town and country
    Dodge-Grand caravan/Caravan
    Ford-Freestar
    Honda-Odyssey
    Buick-Terraza
    Kia-Sedona
    Mazda-MPV
    Mercury-Monterey
    Nissan-Quest
    Pontiac-Montana
    Saturn-Relay
    Toyota-Sienna
    I got 15!!
    I left out large/cargo vans but heres that list
    Express/Sprinter/Econoline/Safari/Savana So there's 5 more!
    I think it was MSRP but cannot say for sure. I agree with you that it would be difficult to do from selling price.

Have you searched the USA Today web site? I do not know if they archive those stories. I read it from the actual newspaper, not online.
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    The recent statement about the T&C and any other car, truck, or mini-van was based on prediction, not actual performance. In addition, there are a number of sources for automotive "resale" valve and they seldomly agree.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2005-12-22-resale-usat_x.htm
    2005's Resale Value
    Chrysler Honda
    $18,900 $24,000
    $25,300 28.700

2003's Resale Value
    $14,400 $17,700
    19,250 19,850
    Except...

Domestics are always "back of book" cars. That means, yes, the "books" say it's worth 15,000 but nobody will pay close to that for them.

I have to deal with this everyday.
    I find it an irony that you are actually in the car business yet some on here question your veracity. Maybe you should change your name to "isellcars" for more credibility? ;)
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Of course people would NOT want to buy a Chrysler from a Honda dealer. People also would NEVER buy a Honda from a Chrysler dealer. ;)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Right, because they are two different buyers likely looking for two different needs to be met (cargo vs performance and technology). Many buyers will get more use out of stow and go than Variable Cylinder Management. Many others wouldn't think of buuying a pushrod engine that is outpowered by GM (by 35 hp) in the new millenium. Different buyers, different perspectives, different choices made.
    Of course people would NOT want to buy a Chrysler from a Honda dealer. People also would NEVER buy a Honda from a Chrysler dealer.

True. I wouldn't go to a Honda dealer to buy a used Dodge/Chrysler minivan, unless I was driving by a dealer's lot and saw a cheap sticker price on the windshield.

But that's not to say that the Chrysler dealer isn't going to sell a used Chrysler/Dodge for what the Kelly Blue book says it's worth. What might be a drag on the Honda lot, could sell very well off a Dodge/Chrysler dealer lot.
    What Edmunds.com Says:Chrysler still dominates the minivan market so any redesign of its flagship model will be as important as any of its more noteworthy newsmakers.

What We Know: The exterior changes will most likely be evolutionary on the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country, after all there's only so much you can do with the shape of a minivan. It will, however, attempt to distance itself more distinctly from the Dodge Caravan than ever before. The real innovations will be seen on the inside where Chrysler plans on using this mall-faring monster as a platform for a thorough infotainment and communications makeover. Expect to see every technological gadget you can think packed into the top of the line version including power operated versions of its Stow and Go seats. Expect the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country to appear at the 2007 Detroit Auto Show looking considerably different for the first time in its production from the Dodge Grand Caravan.
    Why not? We sell a lot of used Chrysler mini vans because a lot of them get traded in on Hondas!

And you can buy them for a great price because that's what they are worth!
    Don't give me that crap of, that's what they're worth. In just a few days, I will have had my Dodge minivan for a year. I have all the electrical goodies that they put on the SXT and so far it's been trouble free. While it doesn't have a five speed tranny or some of the other things the Honda has on it, it also has no rattles, wind noise,doors that won't open or a lot of the other problems found on the 2005-2006 Hondas. It has a nice smooth ride and a good sound system.

While your Honda is nicer inside and has some nice features, it sure isn't worth the thousands extra I would have had to pay for it. With zero percent financing, I save even thousands more and got my Stow-n-Go seats, which is what I wanted to begin with. Now maybe to some of you rich duds out there with money to burn, that might not be an issue to you. To me it is. I don't have money to throw away and I would rather use those thousands I saved to do what we did in Oct. take an 18 day trip to England, Ireland and Scotland and have my minivan do what I bought it to do, be family friendly and not just a people hauler.
  • nwngnwng Posts: 664
    just go and pick up a local autotrader type magazine and check it out. DCX vans are good products at their price point, but in the real world they ain't worth a whole lot as a used car compare to the ody and sienna.

The best deals are always the 1-2 year old domestics
  • nwngnwng Posts: 664
    If you're a dcx employee, can you purchase a dcs vehicle using employee pricing for friends and families and the vehicle will be titled under the friends/family name? Is there a limit of numbers of vehicles each employee can purchase?

Not a bad gig for dcx employees if they're gonna split the savings with whoever they're getting the car for.
    I am sure if you take a Chrysler minivan that is three or four years old and put it up against a Honda or Toyota of the same age, you will probably see a three to five thousand advantage for the Honda and Toy. But by the same token, I would bet I have a three or four thousand advantage on what I paid for my SXT over what a Honda would cost with much of the same equiptment. While Honda's have some things you can't get on Chrysler, and there is things Chrysler offers that can't be gotten on the Honda or if they can, on much higher priced models. I think it works out in the end. You either pay more in the beginning or get less in the end. OF course if you keep it as long as I usually keep my vehicles, trade in value is not an issue. Plus, I am sure at zero percent financing, I have another big money advantage that neither Toyota or Honda people are getting.

If I keep having as much luck with my 2005 as I have this past year, I'll be happier still.
    Wow, you sure had a load of buckshot in your posting! You fired a broadside at the Odyssey based on what facts, the complaints on Edmunds?

If you are happy with your van and had a nice vacation so be it. I have had none of the "problems" with my Odyssey you mentioned. I did own a Grand Caravan that was one of the worst piles of junk ever assembled. :lemon:

I am going to go home this evening and break out the champagne to toast my newly proclaimed status of "rich duds". Heck, I might even go over to my local Honda store and buy another Odyssey so I could claim status of "super rich duds". :)
    Wow, you sure had a load of buckshot in your posting! You fired a broadside at the Odyssey based on what facts, the complaints on Edmunds?

I would think those complaints surly should be taken into consideration. Many are complaining of the same things. I am glad your not having problems with your van, I feel good I haven't either.

Depending on the age of your old minivan, I am sure you had your share of problems with it. Chrysler had a slew of them, especially during the 1990's and even in the first year or so of the 2000s. But they have been building some very good minivans in the last 4-5 years.

I have always given Honda and Toyota their due in building very good vehicles. But unlike some of you Honda owners that want to make Chrysler vehicles look like a bunch of crap, you guys have your problems too. You just don't want to admit to them when comparing the two here. Many don't want to admit how much better Chrysler quality has improved. While this is my first minivan, it is by far not my first Chrysler product and I have seen how quality has gone up on many of their products. My brother has a 2001 Plymouth minivan. His luck with his, helped me decide to buy a minivan. Stow-n-Go made me want to buy the Dodge and get rid of my 2001 Dodge C.C. Dakota. Which I also had no problems with in the four years I owned it.

Never once have I ever said Honda/ Toyota ever built anything but a quality van. But I am sick of Honda owners saying Chryler/Dodge vans are junk or that you get what you pay for. I got a well built van and paid a good price for it. I got most everything I wanted on it without going heads or heals in debt. I also know all about Honda quality. I also own a 2004 Honda Civic. I am willing to give credit where credit is due. To bad many Honda owners aren't willing to do the same and quit pretending their vans are trouble free.
  • we too own a civic and its been a very good car. But you're right about the real story behind the odyssey resale value. We've been trying to negociate with the honda dealer on a mini-van. But they won't come any closer than $5100 more than a dodge. the odyssey is nice but not that nice. besides, hauling around five kids I don't think we need the most expensive van out there. And although the honda interior is nice and my husband thinks it handles nicely I can just see that interior in a few months of loading kids and stuff. we dont need to spend 5100 just to brag that we have a honda. Most people we know that have the chrysler minivans are very pleased with them and have few problems. so I think we'll probably go that route. the honda dealer seems like he's doing us a favor. the dodge dealer let us have a van for 4 days and we really liked it. It has some features on it that i would think honda would have but dosen.t.
This discussion has been closed.