Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    I stand corrected. Faulty memory.

Dusty
  • mttskysmttskys Posts: 23
    We own a magnesium T&C Touring. We originally wrote off "green" because of the picture on the website. My wife then set out to compare the silver and butane blue colors in person.... came back and mentioned she liked the one called magnesium. It didn't even occur to her that it was the same color as the green one she saw on the computer.

I've had people call it gray, metallic gray, metallic blue, etc. depending on the light and surrounding comparison colors. Great color... hard to describe.
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    If changing loads (people and/or alternatively, stuff) is the intended usage, the DCX vans are nearly impossible to beat. A vehicle with power sliders and hatch and the SNG is, IMHO, leagues better than anything I've used.

I can't even argue that one!!!! Mine is strickly for moving people. I work as a FSE and if I still got a company car I would get that!! For my wife and kids Honda was the best choice!!
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    I stand corrected. Faulty memory.

Thanks, for the reply!! You'll get me soon. I'm sure!! I post enough.
  • dlovull1dlovull1 Posts: 8
    I purchased the dodge sxt today. Will pick it up tomorrow. Interesting that in the previous posts the color magnesium was brought up because that is what I chose for my dodge. If I had gotten the honda I would have chosen the sage brush pearl which seem to be a preference of others. That at least means some people like my color choice. I still think both cars are great but for this time the price difference made it a no brainer.

For those out there who responded to my request for input I wish you the best of luck with your vehicles. When I get some experience with the sxt I'll contibute to this forum.

Dave
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Will you let us know the actual price paid? Thanks. ;)
  • travisimotravisimo Posts: 2
    Good thread. We chose the Dodge Grand Caravan SXT because of features (Stow-N-Go being at the top of the list) and price (Employee Discount + Rebate = Good).

We were initially going to pick a silver or red hue, but we ended up falling for the Butane Blue Pearl, which is a very light blue that looks bluish when there is more light and silverish when the light is low... very nice!

The Stow-N-Go is a must-have feature for us. We have 3 young kids and it works out perfectly when we stow the passenger side seat in the 2nd row. So the baby goes in the bucket seat driver side and the 2 toddlers (2 and 5) go in the back. That leaves a wide open area behind the front passenger seat for groceries, toys/books, and easy access to the carseats to get the kids out. Just perfect!
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Posts: 626
    "My vote is for Honda Odyssey Sage brush Pearl. It's like 3 colors in one, just change the lighting. It's a greenish, blueish, grayish color. I think it's the Boss! I'll keep my eye open for the Magnesium!! "

The Magnesium has a similar effect, though I believe that the sage brush (at least from pictures I've seen) is more towards the Olive color, and Magnesium a little more blue in t here. Both nice colors. You can also see Magnesium on Pacificas and 300's
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    The Stow-N-Go is a must-have feature for us. We have 3 young kids and it works out perfectly when we stow the passenger side seat in the 2nd row. So the baby goes in the bucket seat driver side and the 2 toddlers (2 and 5) go in the back. That leaves a wide open area behind the front passenger seat for groceries, toys/books, and easy access to the carseats to get the kids out. Just perfect!

I keep the second row passenger seat stowed too. It is amazing how much room it gives you to not only get at the third row seats, but to load just about anything you want in that van easily. I put very few things in the van through the back hatch. The side door is much easier.
    Final price $24,485 employee pricing includes $2000 rebate.$30,239 list. Options side airbags, trailer package and tire pressure monitor. $7.000 tradein. $17,485+ 8%taxes + $100 closing fee. Also received 4.2 % interest which I felt was very good.Could have gotten 2.9 % but I would lose $2000 rebate. Finally interior and exterior spray (probably everyone gets) and a number of free oil changes.

Dave
    Thanks. Sounds like they were quite generous with your tradein. ;)
    Dodge dealers I have talked with on a 2005 GC SXT are telling me my well equipped 2002 T&C LX 36,400 miles is worth $ 9,000 to $9,500. :cry:
    As I read your postings, your 97 GC had about 45,000 miles on it. Was it a GC ES, LE, or loaded SE? What extra options did your 97 GC have? My 02 T&C LX is a clone of the 02 GC Sport and has most 02 Sport options except for the Power Sliding door on passenger side.
  • rharris5rharris5 Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the Chrysler employee pricing is really a no haggle pricing option? I just can't believe that the first price the dealer gives is what I'm going to pay for a TC minivan. Any comments?
    The rules the dealers should follow is you pay the posted employee pricing. The only things you negotiate is tradein price , favorable interest rate, and oil changes etc. you can get thrown in. Whether they all do this I don;t know, Chrysler would be unhappy if a dealer did this.

Dave

completely loaded se model perfect shape.
  • macakavamacakava Posts: 775
    I do not think that the employee prices are the lowest prices.

Today I saw a Dodge Caravan SXT (not DGC) advertised at $20.3K; prior to that I have seen a DGC advertised at $16.5K with rebates.

Even if there may be some option differences, it does not look right.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    What you saw advertised proves nothiing. The Dodge Caravan SXT may have actually been a Grand Caravan, or if it was truly the short wheel base model, may have been loaded up with options.

The DGC you saw advertised for $16.5K may have been a stripper version SE without Stow and Go seats. For that matter, it may even have been a demo or used unit.
    The employee prices I have beeen quoting include the $2000 rebate. What I experienced was the dealers here were a bit confused and not necessarily changing to conform to the rules that Chrysler had establsied. Some cars had the pricing on the sticker and some didn't. In reality before official employee discounts the discounted pricing was dropped to almost employee pricing and you could negotiate. The way to know is to go out if you want a car and try your best. I suggest if you do make sure you know the model you want with options and that the dealer has it on the lot. Dealers do not have to folow employee pricing if it is not on the lot. With the prices as low as they are I don't think you can really get too much off what has been set. Many of the dealers in my area list the cars in the lot and some show the employee pricing on the web.

Dave
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    I believe this is possible. Employee pricing with GM...and I think Ford, too...supercedes rebate and incentive offers that may have previously applied. So in some cases employee pricing could work to be a disadvantage.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 974
    If you'd like to talk about pricing and incentives, try the Smart Shopper Forum. For issues related specifically to pricing on Caravan/Voyager and T&C, you'll find plenty of feedback in the Prices Paid & Buying Experience Forum.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I sent a buyer request for a 2005 GC SXT with no extra options to 4 separate dealers stating I wanted to be contacted via e-mail.
    Two never replied and a salesman from the other 2 called on the telephone while I was out. :sick:
    Will I call them back? Not NO, but NO !!
    The Honda prices are not as good as they were a few months ago, but that is a moot point as all 2005 Odysseys have been pre-sold. My favorite dealership has their September allocation for 12 of the 2006 Odysseys.
    Question? Is an Ody EX really worth $ 27,206 (MSRP $28,810 ) when I can get a GC SXT for $21,000 - $22,000?
    I know Ody owners will say "absolutely" and DC owners will say "Of course not".
    What do some neutral Town Hall members like "thejipster" say? :confuse:
  • macakavamacakava Posts: 775
    "What do some neutral Town Hall members like "thejipster" say?"

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!!
This discussion has been closed.