Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• macakavamacakava Posts: 775
    "T& C has better handling than Odyssey."

"Edmunds Review for Odyssey
    Pros:
    Agile, carlike handling, a split flat-folding rear bench, optional eight-passenger seating, extensive feature list, smooth and powerful V6, strong reliability record"

When we talk about handling, it does not mean a smooth ride and driving only in a straight line that befit Aunty Mildred and the folks in Floridian retiree communities, unless you are from that stock. We mean agility, carlike handling, etc(like you mentioned from Edmunds) to complement the way car enthusiasts drive - like being not afraid to do corners in a spirited way in event the vehicle topples over.

From the 70+ DGC rentals I had in the past 2 years, which included some virgin loaded T & C's with the 3.8L V6, I will concur with C & D that the "3.8L V6 is gutless and won't cut it in this crowd of MVs" in their June 2004 comparo.

From your above quotes, you seem to have put your feet in your mouth where they may righfully belong!
  • hraohrao Posts: 78
    Car like handling was introduced to minivans by Chrysler in 1991.
    T&C won Motortrend "Car of the Year" in 1991, its first for a minivan.
    Honda Odyssey was in diapers in 1991.
    JDPower compiles customer complaints and perception about Mechanical Quality for all cars and trucks. ( They are the industry bench mark )
    please visit JDPower site and also NHTSA site, they also log customer complains ( real customer complaints ) www.safecar.gov.
    Look how many customer are unhappy with 2005 Honda Odyssey Quality.
    Check for yourself.

KBB Driving impressions of T&C,
    We drove a Town & Country with the more powerful 3.8-liter engine and were impressed by how well it worked with the four-speed automatic transmission to move the big, heavy minivan; even hill climbs and freeway merges were accomplished without exertion. Out on the highway, the Town & Country rides smoothly and quietly (16% more quietly than the 2004 model, according to Chrysler). We were also surprised at how agile the tall, multi-ton vehicle was around town and in parking lots. Braking was sure as well.
    the high-end Limited edition remains the most luxurious minivan on the road. The vehicle is roomy throughout, with the available heated leather front seats being the most comfortable.
    As minivans go, we think the Town & Country is among the more attractive on the market, especially when fitted with the bigger 16-inch wheels.
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    Car like handling was introduced to minivans by Chrysler in 1991.
    T&C won Motortrend "Car of the Year" in 1991, its first for a minivan.
    Honda Odyssey was in diapers in 1991.

So your points is??.I've worked on may projects where my company was first(first semiconductor cluster tool) and then trumped by AMAT. They took what we did and made it more user friendly. 1991 was quite a long time ago in car years(usually a redisign every 5 years)I'm not saying the Honda is vastly ahead of the Chrysler just it suited my needs better.

Here's a Performance review of both cars from the auto channel

Honda

Performance: I must say that for a van this vehicle performed like a race car. The pickup was more than adequate for getting in and out of fast lanes and the cornering, braking and smoothness of the ride are all better than most vans in this class. The interior was very quite both in the city and on the highway.

Chrysler
    Our tester had the 3.8-liter V6 engine that delivered 207 horsepower. That's a fairly low number for that size engine, but it was enough for the 4,442-pound Limited version we had. We weren't overpowered, but you don't need tons of power in a van, just enough to keep you out of trouble. The engine drove the front wheels through a four-speed automatic transmission. This was a nice combination, since there's no need for performance-driven gearboxes.

We took the T&C on our favorite test roads and the van did well. It climbed hills fine and pranced along on the straight sections. Corners were taken at sane speeds because of the tall aspect ratio of the vehicle. Vans ain't sports cars folks.

Well one feels like a race car and the other ain't no sports car! There's plenty more where that came from too! These are reviewers opinions I happen to agree! Go test drive em both and see which one fits you the best.
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    The accumulative effect of various opinions on the subjective qualities of handling, ride, and performance is meaningless if not down right silly. The argument regarding the differences between the Honda Ody and the Chrysler mini-van versions has basically become "my opinion pimp is better than your opinion pimp." On one hand we are hearing the phony decree that '...if you like your ride, that's good, too,...' and then we hear '...well, the opinions are in and Honda wins..'

The opinions of who? People who are paid by a magazine staff to write critiques of automobiles? Who says that one persons opinion is better than another's? Because they're paid to have an opinion? The fact that someone says that such-and-such is true is highly self-absorbed. It doesn't take a degree in psychology to understand that some might be lacking in self-esteem so bad to need to pander the opinions of others on the self-righteousness of their pet material object. After all, when you spend thirty thousand dollars or more on a machine you have to convince yourself that it's better than anybody elses and that you didn't make a mistake, at which point inertia takes effect and the end justifies the means.

Opinions, whether coming from a opinion grinder at a magazine, or Joe Blow on the street all have the same intrinsic value. Zero. Opinions are just that, the culmination of specific individual tastes which has no predictable corollary effect with anybody else values. Opinions are NOT necessarily fact, but one fact is that this discussion is totally subjective and generally meaningless...and it's getting juvenile. And, no, not by any standard is that name calling.

At what point does the discussion become pointless?
    Opinions are NOT necessarily fact, but one fact is that this discussion is totally subjective and generally meaningless

Well that is your opinion. There are some facts I can get you from MT

0-60mph Dodge 10.2sec. , Honda 8.6sec.

Braking 60-0 Dodge 136ft, Honda 123ft

600 ft slalom Dodge 58.3 mph , Honda 59.3 mph

Lateral acceleration Dodge .69g avg. Honda .76g avg.

MT fuel economy Dodge 18.4 mpg Honda 19.8mpg

At what point does the discussion become pointless?

Whenever you feel like it is,as for me I like a good debate! I also enjoy alot of the people on this board I find it funny and entertaining! :P
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    I think we are arguing much about nothing. Both vans handle and ride very nice. The Honda may have a few more problems on the 2005 than the Dodge, but that is normal for a new first year production. Just wait and see how many Dodge has in the new van they come out with.

I also don't see much different in value on both after 5 years. The Honda is more expensive new and has a higher value used. But I see that difference, according to the paper selling them used, to be only from $2,000.00-$4,000.00.Not the $6-8,000 some has said it to be.

I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend initially. Price could make a big difference in what you buy, if not, it's either looks or what your going to use your van for that will determine what you get.
    That's about dead on! Looks, price, features, and how your gonna use it!
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    I had a 1993 Eagle Vision 3.3 V-6 for 11 years. I believe that transmission is the very same as the 41TE, in the Intrepid, since they were sister cars, with basicly different grill and tail lights. I traded it in last year on our 2004 Civic.

The only problem I had with that tranny was about three years ago when I had the tranny fluid and filter changed at a name brand tire company store. About 4-5 days later, the tranny started shifting funny. I took it to a transmission shop and told them I had the fluid and filter changed about a week ago. The guy asked me what kind of fluid was put in it and I told him I didn't know. He called up the store and found out they used Dexron-Mercon ATF. The tranny shop drained the fluid out and put on another filter, refilled it with the right stuff and I never had anymore trouble after that. That car gave me very good service for 11 years.

I have to wonder though, if that transmission shop hadn't been honest, and charged me for a rebuilt. How many people do you think may have been ripped off for bad trannies because of fluid or reprogram of the computer?
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    Well that is your opinion. There are some facts I can get you from MT

Hey!!! Lets be very selective with our sources and pick just MT for data, it'll make Honda look sooo much more superior.

We've been thru this how many times??? I feel CR is good for their test data only, not their writeups. They have DCX/Oddy a lot closer in all those numbers...it's splitting hairs. What's surprising is all the new tech doesn't really help Honda that greatly, sure they have more HP but it's at such a high rev line. Just like VCM....based on readings on this board, autoweek TV etc...the gas mileage is dismal considering all the hype.

Hey, and lets not forget my favorite number - THREE!!! As in the total number of recalls for Honda's vastly superior Oddy. The Oddy people like to counter that it only effects a tiny part of the buyers etc..... Whateva!

Another great number - $800! The amount it'll cost to repair your AC condenser on an Oddy due to poor design. Of course you can buy a Mr. Grill for $100 to prevent that...no big deal!!!

And my newest one 600!!!.....Honda is giving away free engines!!! Especially if your's happens to fail after 600 miles!!
    Hey!!! Lets be very selective with our sources and pick just MT for data, it'll make Honda look sooo much more superior.

Nice to see your back from camping. I'm sorry it was the quickest one I could find! So now CR is right I'm sure if the data was different you would say it isn't!

Hey, and lets not forget my favorite number - THREE!!! As in the total number of recalls for Honda's vastly superior Oddy. The Oddy people like to counter that it only effects a tiny part of the buyers etc..... Whateva!

Another great number - $800! The amount it'll cost to repair your AC condenser on an Oddy due to poor design. Of course you can buy a Mr. Grill for $100 to prevent that...no big deal!!!

And my newest one 600!!!.....Honda is giving away free engines!!! Especially if your's happens to fail after 600 miles!!

Yeah I see what you mean the Dodge people are so civil! This is why I post on this board!!
    Yeah I see what you mean the Dodge people are so civil! This is why I post on this board!!

I happen to know so of these "so call" MT/Car & Driver people and their testing methods vary widely...equipment, conditions etc... CR is a more controlled "test".

I'm just happy to add more information to your post socalawd, things you might have forgotten.

Just a quick camping trip to the northerns of Michigan. Minivan performed flawlessly....only 18 MPG though, but still towing an RV and loaded, averaging 70 mph
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    Here are some videos of "slow" minivans.http://www.turbominivan.com/videos.htm
    Honda guys, give it up!!!!!

To end this once and for all....

What was the only minivan still running after the Alien invasion in "War of the Worlds"..... a DODGE!!!! Not a Honda, Not a Toyota. I bet the Dodge would probably survive Gozilla eating it too!!
    WRONG!

Try the VW Microbus back in 1950's and '60 that hippies/flower people made out in.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    My '05 T&C Touring model has a maintenance reminder....for what its worth!!!
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 974
    Quite a few posts have been removed because they are off-topic, disrespectful, and disruptive to the discussion. Members come to this topic to read about differences in these vehicles so that they can make purchase decisions -- not to read about YOU. Stick to the topic or your posts will be removed.

I let the leasing/resale discussion go on for a bit because these issues can have an impact on purchasing decisions, but it seems to have derailed the topic. If you'd like to continue discussing these issues, please take them to the Smart Shopper Forum, where they belong. Otherwise, they'll be deleted.

Need help navigating? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    How does 250 lb-ft torque @ 3800 RPM of DC 3.5L compare with 250 lb-ft at a much higher 5000 RPM of the Ody 3.5L?....or the 250 HP of DC @ 6400 RPM vs 255 HP of Ody at a lower 5750 RPM? :blush:
    If DC minivans had the 5 speed Autostick Transmission used in both the Charger and 300C, the Ody performance advantage would disappear. ;)
    The Sienna with 242 lb-ft torque @ 3600 RPM gave it a very distinct performance advantage when I test drove the Sienna and Ody. BOTH had much greater performance than my 02 T&C 3.3L with only 210 lb-ft and an old fashioned 4 speed Automatic.
    WRONG!

Try the VW Microbus back in 1950's and '60 that hippies/flower people made out in.

WRONG HOW?? Did you see the Movie??? It sure wasn't a VW!
    The minivans of today are a reincarnation of the VW Microbus of yesteryears!
    Yes the VW was there in spirit form. :)
    How does 250 lb-ft torque 3800 RPM of DC 3.5L compare with 250 lb-ft at a much higher 5000 RPM of the Ody 3.5L?....or the 250 HP of DC 6400 RPM vs 255 HP of Ody at a lower 5750 RPM?
    If DC minivans had the 5 speed Autostick Transmission used in both the Charger and 300C, the Ody performance advantage would disappear

It's always nice to dream. It would cost more money to build too! Hey if dodge puts a hemi in with a sports stick, count me in for 2015 when I'll buy my next new car!! They can call it the Dodge Grand Caravan R/T!!
This discussion has been closed.