Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    When I checked in September 2005, dealers quoted 2006 GC SXT $24,400 while 2006 Odd EX was $ 28,206.

Almost $4,000 difference. Did the Ody have both rear electric doors and electric tailgate. Did it also have the overhead computer? Those are some of the things I really wanted on my van, plus adjustable peddles. My wife is much smaller than I and I need them for her.
    No rattles and creaks over the long run?
    Go read in the Problem Forum to read about the problems owners of NEW Odysseys are talking about.

It seems many have been brain washed to believe that nothing goes wrong with a Honda. The Honda forum should tell them better. Not that they aren't a very, good minivan, they are.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Neither GC SXT nor Ody had power liftgate at rear and neither had adjustable pedals. Each had power sliding doors both sides, power driver's seat, separately controlled temperature for driver, front passenger, and rear passengers with separate fan for rear air/heat.
    GC SXT had complete overhead console with compass/outside temperature and trip computer, Stow'N Go, and seating for 7. The Ody EX had seating for 8 and automatic temp control for driver and front passenger while GC is manually controlled.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Shoot, its no secret that I'm a Honda guy, but i'll tell ya our right-rear door lock rattled!

It didn't have a single issue other than that, though, and held over 50% of its value (traded in after 66 months of ownership).
    Neither GC SXT nor Ody had power liftgate at rear and neither had adjustable pedals. Each had power sliding doors both sides, power driver's seat, separately controlled temperature for driver, front passenger, and rear passengers with separate fan for rear air/heat.
    GC SXT had complete overhead console with compass/outside temperature and trip computer, Stow'N Go, and seating for 7. The Ody EX had seating for 8 and automatic temp control for driver and front passenger while GC is manually controlled.

I got mine for about that price without the extended warranty. It also has power drivers seat, three way A/C with rear blower. But I also got the auto lift gate, along with the over head computer and and adjustable pedals for that price. Along with Zero financing.
    May I inquire the month/year of purchase? I was wondering if this was during employee pricing/miles of freedom plan days. Thanks.

I'm going to bed. Catch y'all tomorrow.

yawn

thegrad
    Shoot, its no secret that I'm a Honda guy, but i'll tell ya our right-rear door lock rattled!

It didn't have a single issue other than that, though, and held over 50% of its value (traded in after 66 months of ownership).

You did ok with your Honda graduate. I have never, ever said the Honda wasn't a very good van. My only point is, the quality has come way up on the Chrysler vans. They do all the things I want a van to do and they do it for a great price. I don't look to get anywhere near the tade in on my van that a Honda owner will get for his. But I also am not going to pay any where near what a Honda owner paid to buy it new. I have only had mine for 14 months now, but so far, it's been trouble free. And I'm covered for the next 6 years if something does happen.

I bought it in Dec. of 2005. It had a sticker price on it for over $27,000 if I remember right. Almost $28,000.
    I think the reason I got such a deal is because it was the end of the year and they wanted to get their numbers up. I went in with an add from another dealer that was advertising the SXT for $21,000. Although I paid over $3,000 more than that, I heard the one in the paper didn't have a lot of features I got.
    For the guy that said I paid so much for my extended warranty and Honda's was so much cheaper because Dodges have more problems than Honda's. I got this right from the Honda site. This guy paid $1,450.00. About a hundred more than I paid.

#8333 of 11842 Buying Experience by njhonda Jan 30, 2005 (10:25 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    Purchased 2005 Odyssey EXL last Thursday at Willis Honda in Burlington, NJ. MSRP was 30810 including destination. Paid 27687 with destination charges (about 150 over invoice). Seemed like a good price. Got worked over on the extended warranty though. Finance guy told us once we leave the showroom we can no longer get new car rate. He said used car rate was 200-400 more expensive. So took the 7yr/100k and paid 1450. Have 200 miles on the car and no problems. Driving to Florida next week after the EAGLES win the superbowl and expect to give the car a good work out. NJHONDA

Here is another below the first one. Also more than I paid.

I just purchased a Ody. Touring - Navi/RES- Silver for 37,800. Called the internet salesman listed on the honda site. I told him I would purchase his next Odyssey Touring with the Navi for $1000 below MSRP. He did not hesitate to call me the next day and told me to come in and he would honor the deal. True to his word, I signed the paperwork and left that night with a new Ody Touring Navi/RES. I bought the 7/100,000 Honda Warranty for an additional 1450. I know that this was a little high but they initially offered me the 5/75,000 for $1,850. I countered with 1,200 for the 7 year warranty. Initially my sales person said their cost was $1,400 and that they couldn't do it. I told them that was ok and that I would just shop it around. When I got to the financing guy to sign the docs he offered me a 7/100K for $1300 (with a $50 deductible) or 7/100k for $1450 with 0 deductible. Since I felt that I was getting a good deal on the vehicle I capitulated and got the extended warranty for $1,450.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    Wow!!! what happened here, who caused all the fuss? Must be socalawd's fault :)

I see the Ody guys are back on their high horses, touting their overpriced Odys, while conveniently ignoring real world gas mileage (poor!), rattles, door problems, wind problems, brake problems....but ah yes, sooo superior.

Anyways....just got the Kia Sedona brochure in the mail....Kia's gonna give everyone a run for the money here guys. Features no other minivans have, and they're standard:

Brake assist system
    Brake distribution
    Front active headrests
    Tire Pressure monitoring
    ESC, ABS, TCS

Yeah, I know this isn't the Kia forum but arguing about VCS or Stow N Go for the umpteenth time is useless.

ALL windows (side and rear vents) are powered!
  • If you shop around, the extended warranty on the Odyssey are actually decent prices. For an 8 year/120,000 mile/$0 deductible policy, I paid $1230, apparently cost for the dealership. So, it can be had for a good deal if you shop around and bargain.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    I was offered a 7yr/100k btb Honda Care for $900 when I purchased mine. I don't buy warranties.

As a Honda owner (first time actually) I'll come staight up and say I dislike the way Honda packages their vehicles. I've never bought one in the past mainly for this reason. I would have been much happier with a Touring, but they don't have the 8th seat option which I required. I also find my EX-L is lacking a few basic features that many economy cars have, but they're only available on the Touring models.

What is this fascination with the overhead computer? I've had this in umpteen vehicles and usually only pay any attention to the outside temp. The Ody has outside temp in the dash. Is a compass something anyone actually uses?
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "When I checked in September 2005, dealers quoted 2006 GC SXT $24,400 while 2006 Ody EX was $ 28,206."

Interesting. We got our EX-L (with MUCH more on it than the EX) in Feb. '05 for $28,600 with virtually no haggling. For a unit in stock in a popular color. This is one reason I've had such a hard time believing the 'myth' that a GC SXT will run $7k-10k less than a Ody EX.

Maybe if one compares a 1 year old GC SXT to a 1 year old Ody EX...... :P
  • "One could aways buy a tank and then never worry about safety. While I think most people want a safe vehicle, most also want more than that."

Indeed- I agree. I bought a very safe vehicle with a lot more than I needed on it.

"I have to wonder how you ever got by before the 2005-6 Hondas ever came out."

That's the same poor reasoning people use when they ask how did we all survive when we were kids without wearing seatbelts or using child seats, in an effort to justify not properly restraining themselves or their kids. Well, the truth is that a lot more of us didn't survive back then. The statistics show that clearly.

It's the same with vehicle safety. As regulations improve and manufacturers target safety as a selling feature, vehicles become safer. That has helped contribute to the ongoing decrease in vehicle fatalities normalized per miles driven as well. I get by as safely as reasonably possible.

"Even the safest vehicle on the road will not keep you safe from stupid drivers and the right hit."

True, though that logic applies to the safest drivers as well.

"I was a professional driver for over 40 years. With only two accidents in all that time. I did that by not only being a good driver, but by being a defensive driver. I was also a driving instructor for new drivers coming into our company. One reason I don't worry about the Honda having a better passing speed, is I won't pass anyone unless I know it's safe. I don't take off from a light before looking both ways to make sure someone is not trying to beat the light. Stopping four feet shorter doesn't bother me because my eyes are always on the road. Not only on the guy ahead of me, but the guy ahead of him and I keep a safe distance behind and start to slow when I see the car that's two ahead of me, hit his brake lights. Not just the one that is directly ahead of me."

That's great- you are an example all drivers should emulate. If you can avoid all crashes, then you need not be concerned at all about safety. Granted, that's pretty much what everyone thinks about their driving skill, yet crashes remain the #1 killer in age groups up through 35 and a leading cause after that.

I'm a careful driver and have never had a crash in 20 years of driving. Even so, given competitive models that otherwise meet my needs, I'll pick the one I believe is safest to save my family from possible injury on the roads. Again, there's no shame if safety wasn't your top criteria- everyone has their own preferences, there's no need to rationalize your choice on that basis only. My van doesn't have Stow 'n Go, a power hatch or an overhead computer. Those weren't my priorities. If they were, I'd have purchased a DC van, also. I had different priorities before I was married and had kids, but I've learned a lot in my work since then.

"I bought a safe van, but I wanted more than just a good looking, safe, people hauler."

Incidentally, I never said your vehicle was unsafe. I also got a lot more for my needs than a good looking, very safe people hauler. Funny how that works- I simply had different priorities than you. No offense intended; I'm not critcizing your preferences or choice in vehicles at all. Please don't think that pointing out the differences among the competition is a personal attack on your choice in vehicles, or anyone else's. On the other hand, both opinions on the topic may help someone make their choice among these vans.
    "I also find my EX-L is lacking a few basic features that many economy cars have, but they're only available on the Touring models."

Trying hard to picture what these features would be....?

"Is a compass something anyone actually uses?"

I've got one on my car....never used it. It must be due to my innate sense of direction... ;)
    "One could aways buy a tank and then never worry about safety."

I'm still trying to picture how one goes about buying a tank and then how one goes about getting it registered for street use.... :confuse:
    I usually don't buy warranties either. But with power sliding doors, power hatch, power windows, door locks, seat, all the electrical on these vans, plus engines and transmission, it seemed like a wise decision to me. Just replacing the air compressor on these vans can cost a $1,000. With Honda coming out with so many new features on theirs, I'd be afraid not to have it.

No real fascination with the overhead computer. It's just that it is standard on the SXT and it's a nice feature to have. Same with the electric tail gate. It's hard, if not almost impossible for a woman of my wife's size to pull it back down. It's a great feature for her and the extra cost was reasonable.
  • I see the Ody guys are back on their high horses, touting their overpriced Odys, while conveniently ignoring real world gas mileage (poor!), rattles, door problems, wind problems, brake problems....but ah yes, sooo superior.

If the "Ody guys" are on a high horse, I'd say the "DC guys" are no different. I originally replied to kimchi's one-sided post a few pages back. If discussing the differences in these vehicles is not a proper topic on a Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans forum, what is?

Anyways....just got the Kia Sedona brochure in the mail....Kia's gonna give everyone a run for the money here guys. Features no other minivans have, and they're standard:

Brake assist system
    Brake distribution
    Front active headrests
    Tire Pressure monitoring
    ESC, ABS, TCS

Hopefully, every new generation of minivan released will imrpove in terms of safety and other aspects, too. Kudos to Kia for improving theirs. It's about time more minivans start offering better head restraints and crash reporting systems. A TPMS is a good feature, too, but I believe it is mandated by the TREAD act within a year or two. So that will be pretty much guaranteed across the board. If you get runflat tires, it's already standard on minivans that offer that feature.
  • To avoid debate over a few dollars difference in those who buy extended warranties, here's the going rate from a dealer used by many Odyssey owners at another forum. Thanks to the original poster at that forum for the information. Pretty much agrees with the price paid by wwdcatc.

"Honda Care Prices For Odyssey
    $0 Deductible

New Honda vehicles must be model year 2004 or newer
    with up to 6,000 miles on odometer

Plan Code: D56 5yr 60k $410.00
    Plan Code: D58 5yr 80k $630.00
    Plan Code: D50 5yr 100k $775.00
    Plan Code: D68 6yr 80k $705.00
    Plan Code: D60 6yr 100k $910.00
    Plan Code: D62 6yr 120k $1010.00
    Plan Code: D78 7yr 80K $795.00
    Plan Code: D70 7yr 100k $1069.00
    Plan Code: D72 7yr 120k $1169.00
    Plan Code: D80 8yr 100k $1149.00
    Plan Code: D82 8yr 120k $1249.00
    -unquote-"
    Trying hard to picture what these features would be....?

Auto headlamps and programmable auto door locks are very common even on cheap cars, but my EX-L with navigation and rear DVD doesn't have them. Standard on the Touring, so apparently Honda considers these more of a luxury feature :confuse:
    Your right; forgot about the auto headlamps. I've got them on my Celica and my wife has to constantly remind me to turn on my lights in the Ody. Hadn't missed the auto door locks so that's no biggie (for me).
    Normally the auto headlamps wouldn't be THAT big of a deal except the dash lights are always on making you THINK the headlamps are on at night. Probably would get used to it if I always drove that vehicle, but I'm in/out of lots of vehicles. I just usually leave them on all the time, but there's some drawbacks to that as well.
    I'm a careful driver and have never had a crash in 20 years of driving. Even so, given competitive models that otherwise meet my needs, I'll pick the one I believe is safest to save my family from possible injury on the roads.

That's been my point all along. I didn't buy a Ody because it didn't meet my needs. Mine is a safe minivan, maybe not as safe as the Honda, but safe and it meets all my needs at a good price.

I am not putting down the Ody. If you saw one of those pictures I put up, you can see our other vehicles is a 2004 Honda Civic. But the Ody did not meet my needs. I wouldn't by a vehicle for safety alone if it doesn't.

I'm out of here for awhile.
  • That's been my point all along. I didn't buy a Ody because it didn't meet my needs. Mine is a safe minivan, maybe not as safe as the Honda, but safe and it meets all my needs at a good price.

Then it seems you have had nothing to dispute with me all along, as I have never claimed anything about your particular needs or choice, except that they were different than mine.
  • The '05 Touring w/o nav or video cost me $32,900. The power liftgate is very nice when carpooling kids to school. And,when I picked up a nail on a narrow bridge it never missed a beat. I changed the tire two days later at the local dealership. No charge btw. I was dispoointed with the 16-17 MPG for the first few months,but with 13,000 miles I'm now averaging 20-21 in the city. That's not bad for a van this heavy. I'm fairly sure PAX tires will be standard in 5 years. I certainly won't buy another vehicle w/o them. Hopefully,my next vehicle will be an Ody hybrid.
    Thanks...I was curious. You got a steal...congrats.

I'm glad you can at least clearly state your reasoning, it makes you seem a lot smarter than those who just cram "cheap cheap" down my throat at the mention of a Dodge vs. Honda.

I vote marine2 as Forumee of the month here. :)
  • aaron_taaron_t Posts: 301
    Forgetting time value of money

Consider what $30k costs over 5 years. If one can pay cash for a vehicle, why? I can get a 5-yr loan @ 4.49%, and a 5yr CD @ 5%. My retirement account made 12% last year. putting that $30k into other investments would provide a better return, or less money paid out over 5 years. Payments @ 0% and earning a safe 5% in the bank yields $4k more after 5 years.

So, zero percent (or otherwise low) financing can save a person money even if he has the cash to pay for a vehicle. One must compare the total amount paid for the options, though. Not always is 0% the less costly choice vs. rebates.

So, So, $3500 saved in interest over 5 years plus the $1500 difference marine2 listed, plus the $500 warranty is $5500 less than the similar ody EX in his case.

Numbers are like surveys. Anyone can play with them to favor his own conclusions.
  • artgpoartgpo Posts: 483
    I was going to wait for the new Sedona. After reading the latest reviews I am glad I didn't. The last two different reviews both claim the third row seat is to low to be comfortable, with one review even suggesting that it is only suitable for small kids. My Odyssey has a very comfortable third row seat for adults.

My wife drives an '05 Sportage bought about a month after its introduction last year. The Sportage is quiet and comfortable. Last week the sunroof was replaced under warranty due to a leak. Something like that gives me cause to take notice. Perhaps it is just an anomaly but it does make one wonder about the long run. The car does not squeak or rattle and is solid so we are hoping for the best.
    One issue like a sunroof problem is not bad for a first year car-model. Odysseys have had teething pains like this.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    For an 8 year/120,000 mile/$0 deductible policy, I paid $1230

Sounds great. Are all components covered bumper to bumper, or is this just a powertrain warranty?
This discussion has been closed.