Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    Sorry, I guess I didn't really understand what you said. It would be a hassle to take the car seats off and stow them, although you could put car seats on the third row. and stow one. Grandma would have plenty of room to get up out of front seat and walk back to third seats with one stowed.
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    Works great for me. Went to sedona thru phoenix in june. Temp outside 110. Temp inside 72. Two weekends ago went to Palm Springs 110 outside inside great. My 2001 Caravan only had the front A/C but that was good enough to always make it cool enough blew really cold. My Subaru is only now acceptable since I installed tinting. The Dodge did have hidden warrenty on the A/C evaporator core. I replaced one(Well no me my local mechanic big $$'s) of these on my Intrepid. Then it went out again at 100K.
    Works great for me. Went to sedona thru phoenix in june. Temp outside 110. Temp inside 72. Two weekends ago went to Palm Springs 110 outside inside great. My 2001 Caravan only had the front A/C but that was good enough to always make it cool enough blew really cold. My Subaru is only now acceptable since I installed tinting. The Dodge did have hidden warrenty on the A/C evaporator core. I replaced one(Well no me my local mechanic big $$'s) of these on my Intrepid. Then it went out again at 100K.

I live in Phoenix so I know what that 100 degree plus, is like all summer. My 2005 DGC easily keeps it cool inside. Couldn't say as much for my 2001 Dodge Dakota I use to have. It had no recirculating switch on it and it never got cool enough.
  • aaron_taaron_t Posts: 301
    I checked it out last night. One cannot fit (even a child) between the back of the 2nd row seat and the side door opening to get to the rear seat with the second row seats in place on the DCX vans. With one seat all the way back, though, there is plenty of room to get around the seat through the middle, especially with the middle seat all the way back.
    I checked it out last night. One cannot fit (even a child) between the back of the 2nd row seat and the side door opening to get to the rear seat with the second row seats in place on the DCX vans. With one seat all the way back, though, there is plenty of room to get around the seat through the middle, especially with the middle seat all the way back.

Try stowing one of those middle row seats and see how easy it is to get in and out of that third seat. I have three grandkids I pick up after school and two set in the third seats and one likes to set in the second seat. They can run in and out of that third row with one seat stowed. Unless your the one that has the babies in the car seats. You still have room for seating six and plenty of room moving around inside. I keep one seat stowed all the time. A lot of stuff I carry, I find it's easier to put in the side door than the rear hatch.
    Yes, the 2nd rows seats slide front-back, but there is not enough clearance in the forward-most position to get to the back without tilting the 2nd row seat like Sebring says he does the Ody. I was just providing a comparison for him. Yes, one can tilt the seat forward without the backrest folded, but I don't know about with a forward facing carseat in place. I just haven't tried that. I don't know if there would be enough clearance.

My solution as I've posted would be to always have an adult in the back with the kid(s), so keep one 2nd row seat open for the adult or stowed for easy access for the 3rd row. There is zero need for an adult in the front passenger seat when there is an open seat in the rear with kids. More time entertaining the kids (or is it they who entertain us?).

Regardless, I only have one child who rides in an infant carrier so far. She is long (25" at 3mo) and has almost outgrown the carrier. We'll be switching that out for the Marathon in another month, I think.

I find the back storage more useful than the side w/ one 2nd row seat down. I switch back and forth between 3rd row down and up, to utilize the bins or to carry a large stroller and other baby gear. I'm tall, so the rear loading height is no problem for me.
    The great part about it, is the versitility you have to do it anyway you want and the storage space it gives you no matter how you do it.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    I guess with the Sienna or Odyssey you can slide the two 2nd row captain chairs together on either side to access the third row easily, similar to permanently stowing one of the 2nd row stowNgo seats, so you don't need to go between them. So in a way with the Odyssey you can slide the two 2nd row seats together and push them to one side and you can put car seats in each of them because you won't have to move them anyway to access row three. That seems like the best combination for me.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Buy a Grand Caravan SE with 2 built in child seats in the 2nd row. No more hassle with child seats. ;)
    You would still have ALL the extra space under the floor between the 2nd row and front seats which is MUCH more than the miniscule space of the donut gimmick in the Odyssey. :P
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    I like the idea of the stowNgo space, but can you slide both seats in the second row all the way to the right or left to make a two person bench and make it really easy to get into row 3?
    No, cannot slide any seats sideways in the DCX vans. The DGC SE has the middle row bench seat, still has the storage bins in the center and the same rear folding seat as the SXT StoNGo. You just cannot fold down the second row bench seat, and equipment/options are limited.
    As stated, NO seats in the 2nd row of any DC minivan will slide side to side. My son has NEVER changed the 2nd row configuration of his 2001 Ody EX from being 2 separate bucket seats to being one bench seat. Most people prefer having separate bucket seats in the 2nd row to keep children apart so they do not fight with each other. :blush:
    However, for people with 2 small children, the 2nd row bench seat of the 2005 GC SE with 2 built in child seats is JUST RIGHT and also provides the 2 large storage compartments under the floor where the 2nd row "Stow-N-Go" seats of other 2005 DC minivan seats would go when folded. ;)
  • As stated, NO seats in the 2nd row of any DC minivan will slide side to side. My son has NEVER changed the 2nd row configuration of his 2001 Ody EX from being 2 separate bucket seats to being one bench seat. Most people prefer having separate bucket seats in the 2nd row to keep children apart so they do not fight with each other

They're so easy to move I do both. Apart for long trips(anti touching mode)together during the week when my wife drops off my boy. :P

However, for people with 2 small children, the 2nd row bench seat of the 2005 GC SE with 2 built in child seats is JUST RIGHT and also provides the 2 large storage compartments under the floor where the 2nd row "Stow-N-Go" seats of other 2005 DC minivan seats would go when folded.

While nice the built ins have considerable short comings. First they are only for 22lbs to 50lbs. So for the first 2 years it's a no go. Then after 50 lbs or 47inches you have to get them out. For seat belts to work properly the children have to be tall enough approx 57 inches. This is the time when the seat belt doesn't go across the neck and their legs are long enough to bend at the seat edge. This keeps them from slouching and the belt being across the belly. This area is very weak in most toddlers/small children. So you still end up buying 3 seats baby/convertable/booster just that you only use the convertable in the rear facing mode. That said, it's almost impossible to engineer a seat good from 0-8 years old. I wouldn't waste my money!!!
    With their new hi tech engine that will cut out three cylinders and their new five speed transmission, it seems like C.R. says it only got 12 MPG in their test and not the EPA number of 20, stated on the window. I can imagine the Dodge can do as good or better than that with their old six banger and four speed. My wife's 2004 Honda Civic does better than Honda Civic's Hybrid.
    Just read of the difficulty Edmunds had when their 2005 Odyssey Touring had a tire with a nail in it. :cry:
    DC is not using their buyers to test a new, questionable tire. The tire testing should be completed before putting them on new vehicles and equipment to repair the new tires should be readily available. :shades:
  • With their new hi tech engine that will cut out three cylinders and their new five speed transmission, it seems like C.R. says it only got 12 MPG in their test and not the EPA number of 20, stated on the window. I can imagine the Dodge can do as good or better than that with their old six banger and four speed. My wife's 2004 Honda Civic does better than Honda Civic's Hybrid.

So your saying the SXT hit the EPA numbers. Please also put the Odyssey hit the 28 MPG on the highway. Let's be fair once in a whil. BTW if CR is the king what was the overall MPG SXT VS Ody??
    So your saying the SXT hit the EPA numbers. Please also put the Odyssey hit the 28 MPG on the highway. Let's be fair once in a whil. BTW if CR is the king what was the overall MPG SXT VS Ody??

CR does not show the Dodge, only the Odyssey. It also does not show highway miles. Only city driving. It's on page 20 of the Oct. 05 issue
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    I seem to have the grave misfortune, according to Honda lovers, of riding in a Caravan or T&C occasionally and I've never felt the seats were uncomfortable in any way, including those rearward of the driver. Now I have never been in an '05 Ody, but I rode with my neighbor yesterday in his '04 Ody and the phrase "super comfortable" most certainly is exaggerated. In fact, I'm not sure they are even as comfortable as a Chrysler mini-van.

But then again this is one of those areas that is highly subjective. Body porportions, size, and weight of an individual make all the difference in how one judges seat comfort. And if your an overzealous salesperson, then whatever your selling will be the "best."

Dusty
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    That would be correct. Though Consumer Reports indicated in that article that all results from their gas mileage(actual vs EPA) study will be available on their web site for free Sept. 7-Nov. 2. The tests from 303 vehicles will be avaiable. So, we will be able to see how the rest of the competition stacked up against Ody's weak 12mpg city. CR says to expect a 30% decrease in actual city mpg as opposed to EPA's number for minivans.Ody's was a 40% drop from EPA's listed 20mpg.
    CR says to expect a 30% decrease in actual city mpg as opposed to EPA's number for minivans.Ody's was a 40% drop from EPA's listed 20mpg.

What is so amazing about it, is it get's that bad with all that hi tech on it.
This discussion has been closed.