Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• nwngnwng Posts: 664
    I pd $19.99 for my 1st service at 6500mi (just an oil change). Maybe CA has higher prices than the rest of us.

I don't feel safe using my half ton jack and the jack stands to change oil for my ody. But with the corolla, I can pretty much do any basic maintainence on it.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    EXCELLENT information from many of you. I got a vague idea about Bluetooth while reading a brochure on the new 2006 T&C while having my 02 T&C LX serviced today but you explained it better.
    jipster has a good idea but our T&C has less than 37,000 miles on it now so I could not convince myself to have a T&C, Odyssey, and Sienna although it would be nice. (What would I do with the Ford F-150 and Chevy Blazer LT? :confuse: )
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    YTD sales August, Dodge Caravan 166,917. Chrysler Town and Country 132,907. Total DCC 299,824. Honda Odyssey 121,292. Toyota Sienna 110,836. Let the flaming begin!
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Sadly, the last time I looked the Chrysler T&C sold fewer units the most recent month than did either the Odyssey or Sienna. That might push T&C down to 4th place by the end of December. :cry:
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    YTD sales August, Dodge Caravan 166,917. Chrysler Town and Country 132,907. Total DCC 299,824. Honda Odyssey 121,292. Toyota Sienna 110,836. Let the flaming begin!

When I got my first minivan 1988(of coarse it was a caravan I've owned 4) dodge had 70%+ marketshare. Last year the market share was 38%. I really don't think Toyota or Honda want high volume they prefer high profits. I saw a article from earlier this year that said the differance in retained price for DCX vs Honda and Toyota is larger than the differance in purchase price. Meaning that you will recoup your price premiumfor a honda or toyota when you trade in your car. Also for trade-in DCX vans are among the top 5 vehicles traded in for a Honda/ Toyota van. But the honda/toyota van isn't in the top 25 vehicles traded for a DCX van. I would post a link but that against policy here ;)
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    I really don't think Toyota or Honda want high volume they prefer high profits. Hmm why did they bother to build a new plant in Alabama? Doesn't look like much of an increase in marketshare over the 2004 MY?

Also for trade-in DCX vans are among the top 5 vehicles traded in for a Honda/ Toyota van. Nothing surprising here.

I saw a article from earlier this year that said the differance in retained price for DCX vs Honda and Toyota is larger than the differance in purchase price. Meaning that you will recoup your price premiumfor a honda or toyota when you trade in your car.

I saw an article from earlier this year too!!! It said that if put your savings (est $5k - $10k) in a bank for a 4-5 period, vs paying that additional money out in higher cost and finance charge for 4-5 years, and apply it to your resale value, you come out ahead!!!!
    I wrote,

I really don't think Toyota or Honda want high volume they prefer high profits.

Then you wrote,

Hmm why did they bother to build a new plant in Alabama? Doesn't look like much of an increase in marketshare over the 2004 MY?

Ok I said they weren't interested in market share(high volume)then you said look they didn't increase marketshare. You twist my info again. They build a plant in Alabama to increase there profits thats what companies do. Was the 1999+ Odyssey ever build in japan??

saw an article from earlier this year too!!! It said that if put your savings (est $5k - $10k) in a bank for a 4-5 period, vs paying that additional money out in higher cost and finance charge for 4-5 years, and apply it to your resale value, you come out ahead!!!!

You financed your car as most people will. How else would you get finance cash? That 2-3 grand(I can estimate too) at 2% for 4 year is nothing, plus you pay taxes on the interest. To me it looks like a wash. People should look for themselves. Now I'm sure Fish will come in and tell me they got 10 grand off. Of coarse what fish didn't say is that the van was on the lot 4+ monthsand they misquoted her and honored the quote. It's supply and demand and when the demand is bad for a new car, what will it be for a used car??
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    Yeah. Had a ride in a new Sienna the other night and I was impressed. Despite all of the accolades recently bestowed on the saintly Honda, I most certainly don't see anyone making a mini-van that's truly the best in most categories other than Toyota. The fit and finish easily beats the Honda, the ride is supple and secure, and the cabin is quiet. The seats...are much nicer than Honda's according to my back. I didn't drive this vehicle, but the person, a former Ody owner said the performance was just as good as anything he's ever owned.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Honda Oddysey up 17,127 units over 2004( 121,292 vs 104,165 2005 over 2004)
    DCC Caravan and T & C up 43,466 units (299,814 vs 256, 348 2005 over 2004)
    I'm amazed at how figures can be manipulated.
    Figures are from August YTD have not seen Sept yet.
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    Hi, folks,

A number of posts were removed tonight because they were disrespectful and/or off-topic. Please remember the topic and keep it civil. And before we get too far afield with the Sienna, there are a number of other topics here where you can discuss it:
    Toyota Sienna 2004+
    Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna 2005+ Models

Claire

HOST

Yeah. Had a ride in a new Sienna the other night and I was impressed. Despite all of the accolades recently bestowed on the saintly Honda, I most certainly don't see anyone making a mini-van that's truly the best in most categories other than Toyota. The fit and finish easily beats the Honda, the ride is supple and secure, and the cabin is quiet. The seats...are much nicer than Honda's according to my back. I didn't drive this vehicle, but the person, a former Ody owner said the performance was just as good as anything he's ever owned.

I like a little firmer seat but it is a nice van. I would have considered one but my wife couldn't get past the looks. Shouldn't make someone buy something that don't like! That is the number 1 reason people buy things because of the way they look. The packaging is a little confusing but I liked the fit and finish better and the ride was very isolated.
    Honda Oddysey up 17,127 units over 2004( 121,292 vs 104,165 2005 over 2004)
    DCC Caravan and T & C up 43,466 units (299,814 vs 256, 348 2005 over 2004)
    I'm amazed at how figures can be manipulated.

I didn't say that DCX wasn't up?? What are you talking about?
    Figures are from August YTD have not seen Sept yet

I have the Honda ones here ya go. Have no idea when the DCX number come out.

http://sev.prnewswire.com/auto/20051003/LAM09203102005-1.html
  • aaron_taaron_t Posts: 301
    The selling price on my T&C Touring was at least $6.5k less than an Ody EX (no estimation required) and my credit uniion is offering 25mo CD's at 5%. So, the difference is a little larger than nothing, IMHO, even with safe bank returns. However, I am leasing for 27 months. I am paying for extra miles, but the standard 12k miles is $218 with $550 due at signing. If Odysseys hold their value so well, why are the lease rates so high?

DCX release sales numbers through Sept on Oct 3rd.
    Download PDF

DCX minivan sales are down for the month of September. Note, the Ody almost outsold Caravan nameplate for Sept. I suspect low inventories had a role in that from the summer sales surge. 2006 models of DCX vans didn't arrive on dealers lots until the last week of Sept. I know because many were parked at at a vacant lot across the street from my work.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    You financed your car as most people will. How else would you get finance cash? That 2-3 grand(I can estimate too) at 2% for 4 year is nothing, plus you pay taxes on the interest. To me it looks like a wash. People should look for themselves. Now I'm sure Fish will come in and tell me they got 10 grand off. Of coarse what fish didn't say is that the van was on the lot 4+ monthsand they misquoted her and honored the quote. It's supply and demand and when the demand is bad for a new car, what will it be for a used car??

I'll use my own personal experience here (like you do for MPG and your numerous DCX problems). I saved $10k over a Oddy EX. That's $10k less to finance and pay interest on. That's $10k more I can put into a 401 or Roth IRA (tax free).

If people only shop online at websites, and make decisions that way...they're hurting themselves and not seeing the full picture.
  • nwngnwng Posts: 664
    I have been itching to find out where I can find a SXT equipped like a ex for $16k, please spare me the suspense! I promise I can sway at least one buyer to the dcx camp if such a deal can be had.
    Odyssey Sept YTD 2005 133,639. YTD 2004 113,694 up 19,945 units.
    DCC Sept YTD 2005 320,608. YTD 2004 290,715 up 29,893 units.
  • aaron_taaron_t Posts: 301
    I think Dennis paid about $19k + TTL for his van, but compares it to one of the higher trim Ody because one can get a power rear gate as a stand alone option on DGC vs. that higher than EX trim Ody. Regardless, my sales price was about $20k on my T&C Touring, and could have been $1k lower if I had lease loyalty. $10k may be a strech for most people tradinging off equipment levels of the Ody EX, Sienna XLE, and DGC/T&C Touring. $5-7k is quite common. If one cannot get a DCX minivan for at least $6k off MSRP, he should buy a ticket to Detroit.
    he selling price on my T&C Touring was at least $6.5k less than an Ody EX (no estimation required) and my credit uniion is offering 25mo CD's at 5%. So, the difference is a little larger than nothing, IMHO, even with safe bank returns. However, I am leasing for 27 months. I am paying for extra miles, but the standard 12k miles is $218 with $550 due at signing. If Odysseys hold their value so well, why are the lease rates so high?

You are leasing do you really know what your paying?? Whats the buyout at the end?? So now your gonna put your 6.5K off a lease into the bank?? Why would HOnda lease a car for less money if they don't have too. Car companies are into making money(Well some of them). You sell it and lease it for as much as you can get! Even at 218.00 a moth that probably dosen't include tax + drive off you pay 6500.00 for a car for 2.25 years. And all you did is rent.
This discussion has been closed.